Crack Up

Usually when someone dislikes an album it is because the album was underwhelming.

This album is an anomaly for me. I think I dislike it because it is too overwhelming for me. There's just too much happening for my brain to process.

Does anyone else feel the same about this album?

Took really the 4th or 5th listen to even understand what was going on for me...

I have a really good stereo system, and I had to pump that shit high to even hear all the fucking parts clearly. It's so fucking layered. It's much easier to listen to on headphones.

Robin said in a listening party at some points theres over 100 layers in the mix

I said in the one of the previous threads but this record is just too esoteric for me.

Now that its 'clicked' for you, do you like it? Is it as good as I want it to be?

>Robin said in a listening party at some points theres over 100 layers in the mix
literally how?

They have probably been working on it since 2011 desu

No, it was recorded between July 2016 – January 2017. Of course he wrote the songs between then but he certainly didn't map out all the layers until they started recording it.

I know I'm a pussy, but I cried for the first five songs

you are a pussy

am I the only one who thinks mearcstapa is the best song these guys have ever released? holy fuck it's cathartic

fucking loved mearcstapa

Give it a few more listens. I thought the same thing a first but it really starts to mesh together well after a few listens.

desu I'm still kind of in shock Fleet Foxes managed to put out an album on this level. s/t and HB were nice for what they were but this is a huge step forward.

>WHO STOLE THE LIGHT FROM YOU
>WHO TURNED YOU SO AGAINST YOU
Ultimate sadboy band.

I've listened 10 times so far. I think it's a masterpiece on par with Helplessness Blues desu. AOTY easily

>who stole the life from you*
Oopsies. Robin's lyrics make me feel feels I don't want to feel

>I can tell you've cracked, like a china plate.... WHEN THE WORLD IIIINNNSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSTTTTTTSSSSS

so fucking good.

Something else I kept noticing from listening was how radiohead-esque some of these songs sounded. More specifically A Moon Shaped Pool. The sputtering pianos throughout the album remind me of songs like the numbers and daydreaming, and for some reason On the other ocean makes me think of Desert Island Disk.

guys I can't stop listening to it every song is so fucking beautiful

second half of another ocean is everything i wanted from this band, it's a shame indiefolk has such a bad rep,poor tag constrains this brilliant songwriter

unless Robin had demos for early versions which also experiment with layering. FF seem to keep that kind of unreleased, except for early versions they played live.

Yeah I get that vibe too. Mearcstapa sounds like it could have been a King of Limbs b-side.

I'm in love with this album man, had it on repeat since the leak. On 12th listen now

Meant for

i didn't emotionally crack until Keep TIme On Me, for some reason that song hit me

Maybe. He could have composed the compositions on guitar first and then transferred them over come time recording. In that album trailer they seemed to be recording in a very tight space. Robin probably just played something on the guitar or piano and directed say Morgan to play the horns in that same form. Although, I would think he would of had to of transcribed what he had demoed when they brought in the string orchestra.

Robin and Skye recorded basic demos of the songs in Phil Elverum's studio a year or so ago. I imagine when they got the whole band together they worked off of those.

>i was raised up believing i was somehow unique like a snowflake

*graduates from columbia once*

>so the mind won't lie and the arm won't set and the bright red eye isn't off you yet so the words won't come and the hand won't touch and a midnight sun doesn't look like much as an iris contracts, facing the day i can tell you've cracked like a china plate

this nigga entered a hyperbolic time chamber

Oh, cool.

poor Phil though

Friendly reminder that he technically goes to Columbia but what people don't understand is that he goes to the special undergrad school for older students. It's much easier to get into that school. Hell, the college I went to was harder to get into than that one. It's not the main undergrad school or the main engineering school, which are notoriously difficult to gain admission to.

Well yeah, he's sort of a celebrity too, they always let those people in easily.

Regardless, there is a noticeable improvement in his diction, so he seems to have gotten something meaningful out of it whatever the circumstances.

>he's sort of a celebrity too, they always let those people in easily.
Well, not exactly. The thing with celebs is that they usually can demonstrate in their portfolio section their accomplishments because let's face it, most celebs have talent otherwise they wouldn't be celebs. And having talent can sway an admissions officer because why wouldn't it.

>there is a noticeable improvement in his diction, so he seems to have gotten something meaningful out of it whatever the circumstances.
yeah, it's called reading. sort of essential in order to major in English.

that just means you need to give it more time

it's probably just refined influences, natural progression with age, etc. the previous albums have been homages to van dyke parks, roy harper, and 60s psych pop, whereas he's now he's referencing ravel, mulatu atsake (sampled in oao), and john cage.

it's nice to hear him step up his game, i hope he annotates some of the lyrics like he did with 3rd of may for more clarity

>i hope he annotates some of the lyrics like he did with 3rd of may for more clarity
I know for a fact that he will. That is all I can say.

Im excited based on what ive read about it but i havent listened yet, anyone have a link?

Damn i was really really impressed by this album off my first listen. Its going to take many more listens to fully digest but im really excited about it. What a huge step forward for this band.

Their best album for me. And definitely gemstone of 2017. Waiting for planetarium now.

is the album out?

it leaked a few days ago but all the links are dead now i think, someone needs to reupload

oh, ok, thanks! yeah, that would be great!

it's still on the pirate bay

The layering and atmosphere feels very inspired by A Moon Shaped Pool, yes

Has a better leak come out yet? In my leak at the start of the first track there's a weird digitized sound going on and i don't think it's part of the recording

Except Robin has a nicer voice and isn't constantly bitching

Buy the vinyl. Having a physical copy will make you grow more attached to it. Clearly you're already interested, so why not make the jump?

good sounds weak album

the album flows perfectly fine though

>Buy the vinyl. Having a physical copy will make you grow more attached to it.

Fucking lol

you're a marketing genius, robin

lol no

Why not? I don't hear any problems

we'll see in a month but for now. nah

>when the reviews come out I'll argue you
fucking kek

This album is the definition of a grower. It'll be rated just as high as their other stuff after a while.

>are you alone?
>i don't believe you
>are you at home? i'll come right now
>i need to see you

why does medieval spiritual lumberjack man make my heart hurt so much

no it takes me a month to properly understand an album.

Can we talk about how high this RYM score is??

that's been happening a lot this year, who knows if it will stay that high

its surprisingly interesting structural and sonically. but i just cant past that corporate mall late 2000s radio folk pop band image and cringy flannel shirt and beard aesthetic i associate with this sound.

i've been taking this leak for granted and forgot how nice it can be discussing an album before ratings and reviews

Fleet Foxes was the first band to really go for that sound and i don't think they want to be associated with that scene; i give them more of a Mount Eerie kind of aesthetic.

Think of Fleet Foxes as a band that escaped that image by evolving their sound, probably in part because they were a progenitor of that image and aren't necessarily copycats

Why are you so insecure?

And 360 kbps on slsk

jesus imagine if you guys tried listening to some classical music lmao

Wait until the charts update and /hiphopheads/ get anally blasted that it's higher than K-dick.

It will settle for 3.65

My thought exactly! Alice Coltrane-esque just like Numbers and Daydreaming!

My AOTY so far

for some reason i don't like 3rd of May, least favorite every listen so far

did you listen to the single often before the album came out? may just be overplayed for you. I tend to skip it most times I'm going through the album just because I've heard it so much

nigga shut the fuck up, fucking Sufjan is at number 1 right now, I don't think Kendrick is even top 3. it's the metalfags who get assblasted about indie

also wondering this, also at the end of the second track it kind of "skips" and i don't think that's supposed to be there. it's on both the 320 and 128 versions so maybe it's intentional