Is this band edgy or good?

Is this band edgy or good?

I've never heard anyone say this band is bad, but the fans of this band seem like emos and edgy people.

I've only listen to Hurt and Closer since its their most popular songs but I'm considering giving them a chance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dF-5_Mg8bkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1SaFRqFnRQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=0eg3C1vNxOA
youtube.com/watch?v=yn-arvfoY0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=yLQ68cKLT04
youtube.com/watch?v=9_dgIfz876A
youtube.com/watch?v=lS_zy9DQLzg
youtube.com/watch?v=D1yfVKsB8wU
youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY
youtube.com/watch?v=44z5USNBzb0&list=PLP_GJ4BN4aIxCFWb5NB6GOyJGIE1GD8H4
youtube.com/watch?v=PL72Tyxe1rc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Year Zero is best album everything else is shit

They are alright. I have a couple of their songs on my playlist. I have yet to see harsh criticism on them. But im sure there's people that really can't stand them. Every band or artist has those people.

Year Zero is a good look into the next 10 years

it's emohipster

call me daddy

Hey bb, email me a [email protected], let's meet and suck dicks desu~

Don't start with Year Zero. While it is a good album, start at the beginning with Pretty Hate Machine, Broken EP and The Downward Spiral. They were at their height during TDS. Trent was drinking and doing drugs and self-destructive and it shows in the music and their live shows....after that, he started getting clean and therapy and the music suffered.

OP are you trolling?

Closer isn't particularly good. And if you can truly understand what Hurt is about, you've got issues (like me).

Go on youtube, and just listen to the entire Hesitation Marks album.

Also look for the songs "The hand that feeds" and "Only".

"March of the pigs" has some incredible drumming and tempo changes.

If you're feeling particularly shitty, "Every day is exactly the same".

There are plenty of recent concert videos with the LED mesh screens that really make each song stand out.

Trent really doesn't give a fuck about soundboard recordings from his concerts, so those are available as downloads in various places as well.

>and the music suffered
no it didn't.
It just changed direction. He would have killed himself if he kept ton that path. He actually went to a house by the sea to kill himself but instead ended up writing this song, "la mer" which is french for "the sea".
youtube.com/watch?v=dF-5_Mg8bkQ

NIN is a much more diverse sound that what you have heard.

youtube.com/watch?v=1SaFRqFnRQQ

youtube.com/watch?v=0eg3C1vNxOA

youtube.com/watch?v=yn-arvfoY0Q

Not really edgy but imo pretty good. Old stuff anyhow. Just like metallica. When musicians get sober they suck.

Too many millenials itt, NIN has been around before most of the labels you kiddies place on stuff like "edgy" and "emo". Listen to what you like but fuck off with your shitty criticisms.

bbbut, Chris Cornell is better now than he ever was. I mean he smokes weed somewhat, but quit regular smoking and drinking. He confided that Jack Daniels really wasn't doing it for him, as far as racing 140+ on his motorcycle at night down the city highways completely drunk and feeling ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, was probably the turning point.

This. First heard NiN in '91 on a road trip up to Colorado.
Was good, listened to them since then.

Triggered

>not listening to KMFDM
You nigger don't even know shit about NiN

Well, I suppose "suffered" wasn't the right word, but the later albums sound like caricatures of the older stuff. I don't expent hims to stay self-destructive, but I think Trent lost his fire. I will admit Satellite off of Hesitation Marks was pretty good. Reminded me of David Bowie.

seeing ubermensch trent on the witha teetha tour was unsettling, but he was still pretty aggressive and making characteristically NIN music - but it went bad from there till we had shit like this
youtube.com/watch?v=yLQ68cKLT04

NIN is a band you have to see live to really get. They are better live than on any album. My GF wasn't into them at all and I basically had to drag her to a concert. Now she loves them.

youtube.com/watch?v=9_dgIfz876A

KMFDM and MDFMK when they had those issues.

Every band has bad songs

Kinda I want to
Perfect Drug
Discipline
Those are other NIN songs that are pretty terrible but I still love NIN.

Disagree, to get a feel for what NIN was....I'd suggest starting with Terrible Lie, then Wish and Gave Up, The Becoming or even The Wretched

Kinda I want to
youtube.com/watch?v=lS_zy9DQLzg

The band is garbage, user

2nd favorite band. Listen to The Fragile in its entirety, with headphones on, focused. It is one of my favorite pieces of art in this world.

alright, the individual example isn't terribly important (for instance I hate everything, but I actually love that poppy shit like perfect drug and discipline, he's been doing that kind of thing since near the beginning) but it represents to me the shift in tone and loss of recognizably dark identity to the band's sound

>implying fedora wearing weeaboos understand addiction

The Slip was fantastic.
And as far as I know, it's still free along with boatloads unused assets from it's sessions.

those songs are great u dumb sperglord...lol

Fantastic. Bowie of the 90s

that's great if that's what u got...just showed your true side...lol

no, manson was the bowie of the 90's user.

The Downward Spiral and With Teeth are pretty gr8. All bands have crappy fans, it's usually the most vocal that are the minorities.

Bowie was the bowie of the 90s, that nigga was still alive then, shit man

Neither were. I'd consider REM the "Bowie of the 90's" before NIN or Marilyn Manson

NIN pretty much is just Trent. He wanted a band but couldn’t find musicians in Cleveland that wanted to do the same sort of thing he wanted to do - musically, artistically, etc. so he just hired musicians and just told them what to do - like his hero David Bowie had done. Then he made an album (The Downward Spiral) about a fictitious rock star - like Bowie did with Ziggy Stardust. It was about a rock star that took everything way too far. Then, through performing constantly he basically became that over the top rock star. The drugs and excess nearly killed him.

Now he’s clean (as far as anyone knows) and his music is very different, more compositional. I like better but I can see why others don’t. He’s worked with many of the same people through the whole process. Their live shows have aways been amazing. You can watch a of them online.

It's fucking amazing

whether bowie was alive or not was irrelevant

REM...yeah ok man...lol

I think the live versions of hesitation marks are better because he has the negro girls singing on them

>All bands have crappy fans, it's usually the most vocal that are the minorities.
Tool actually made a song about their retarded fans
I met a boy wearing vans, 501s, and a
Dope beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was ogt,From 92,The first ep.

And in between Sips of coke He told me that He thought We were sellin out, Layin down, Suckin up To the man.

Well now Ive got some A-dvice for you, little buddy. Before you point the finger You should know that Im the man, And if Im the man,
Then youre the man, and Hes the man as well so you can Point that fuckin finger up your ass.
youtube.com/watch?v=D1yfVKsB8wU

His career in a nutshell, i agree

whose....stipe?

Always liked his stuff until The Slip. Egh. That new track Field on Fire is pretty good.
youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY

What makes retards gravitate to tool

different glances at the same Nietzsche abyss.

Yeah, REM was a fantastic band. Very underrated, possibly the most underrated band of the 90s

In an interview Maynard even said that many tool fans are "insufferable retards"

He enjoys his other projects like Puscifer and A Perfect Circle because it doesn't get judged an analyzed like any new tool content does. People have very specific impossible to meet expectations of what the latest Tool stuff should sound like.

Ye, I love Tool but i can't divine any deep meaning out of any of the lyrics and shitx it's just good music to me am i missing something

A fair point.

Both.

why the fuck are you asking a bunch of random strangers what music you should like you fucking faggot?

go listen to some of the tracks on youtube and decide for yourself ffs

Their Closure DVD showcasing their 1994 era Self-Destruct Tour. Good times.
youtube.com/watch?v=44z5USNBzb0&list=PLP_GJ4BN4aIxCFWb5NB6GOyJGIE1GD8H4

NIN started off pretty good but Trent Reznor has been coasting on branding. Most NIN songs go on for far too long and don't have much of a tune. Experimentation in music can be great, but the NIN for the last decade has been a chore to listen to and really forgettable. Trent's so god damn old now he may as well tour with Phil Collins, his singing sounds almost the same except a song by Phil Collins might not put you to sleep quite as fast.

>listen to it yourself
Kek, I only rate music based on opinions of others

Yep. Sad thing is a group like Killing Joke and Jaz Coleman have been around far longer and they're still churning out quality with the same amount of depth and anger since day one. Trent's just riding on the coat tails of his older self.

It really is hard to describe how rebellious The Downward Spiral was back in 1994 when I was like 16 years old. There where other edgy bands , but TDS was getting a lot of airplay, and not many bands incorporated electronics like that. It seems mild now, but the March Of The Pigs video was unlike anything 'd ever seen at the time. Only Nirvana was even close. I still love the video. youtube.com/watch?v=PL72Tyxe1rc

I'm not sure if it's edgy, the guy is like 50, he used to be Mr. Selfdestruct when he was doing a lot of drugs. Also made for some very good songs imo.

Nowadays he makes dull electronic music and makes ads for apple music.

That album is still ok, but further down the line I lost interest.

Manson was the Alice Cooper of the 90's. How the fuck was Manson anything like Bowie?

Interesting fact that Bowie actually got Trent to get off drugs and his music more mediocre.

They did some nice shows together though.
(If you were not doing things together with bowie you were a faggot anyway).

This

People forget to put NIN in context of what else was out at the time. Trent helped invent the entire industrial music genre.

There are lots of millennial faggots who think they are experts on shit that happened 10 years before they were born.

Please explain your reasoning for REM, I'm genuinely interested.

kek that's the one that is last place, if he ever did an album that was not on the level that's the one.

Yeah they were both influential in each others lives /carers. Both ahead of the curve

TDS along with Ministry at Lollapalooza is what made industrial-ish metal bands popular with the mainstream.

Sad I didn't know them back then. That's what you get for living in europe as a pre-teen.

oh wait, I was 6

the fragile>ghosts>hesitation marks=downward>pretty hate>slip>zero

Trent in no way invented or even helped invent industrial. That would be Throbbing Gristle back in 1975. Hell their friend Monte Cazazza coined the term. Their label was even called Industrial Records.

Well for one, in the late 80s through the 90s they had multiple hits that had a lot of variety in them from songs like Stand to Orange Crush to It's the End of the World as We Know it to Losing My Religion. Whenever people think of the 90s greatest bands REM is usually overshadowed by RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, and Weezer. Plus, they used their influence to raise money for human and animal rights causes and helped push for easier voter registration with their album "Out of Time."

who gives a shit what the fans seem like? listen to it and come to your own conclusions...and stop saying edgy, you sound like a fag.
hint: start with the fragile.

I just can't help but swallow

DPRSD

Just listen to them and make up your own fucking mind. beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

I remember really liking Ministry a lot back then too. Don't know what happened to them.

paul split and they went more metal

Very good.

Next concert send her back stage then you can clean her up after the guys have done with her
Maybe you will get autographs

I like em

I will be 100% honest Nine inch nails fanbase should not reflect their music. Trent Reznor is capable of making some incredible music. Depressing yes.. but its that emotion that fuels the creative genius. Worth listening and forming your own opinion.

Fair call. REM sort of seemed to fall a bit short somehow, I'm not sure why. Great songs, just kind of a little bit boring at times I guess. Probably explains why they were underrated.

Ministry's still around. They released From Beer to Eternity a couple years ago after their billionth break up. Al Jourgensen has a new project called Surgical Meth Machine too

there was a lot in that scene...ministry was a forerunner but there were many 'industrial' bands... thrill kill kult, chris connely, front 242, kmfdm, pigface, swans, skrew, even killing joke...

This. I seen NIN live and they were fucking great. They have a lot of passion on stage. Especially Trent, but the only thing I didn't like is they opened for Janes Addiction and they sucked ass I left after Janes Addictions first song.

lol i saw that tour and it was the total opposite, nin was a drag, totally bad energy, but jane's was amazing. the next time i saw the nails though they were fucking insanely good...

Yeah, but really The Downward Spiral getting major airplay on Top 40 radio and MTV, then Lollapalooza and KMFDM constantly on tour really opened the floodgates.

ministry was the spearhead, even trent would agree, watch the 'fix' doc.

Thanks. Never heard of throbbing gristle. Listend to a few songs on youtube since your comment. Good stuff and amazing its that old.

im this anonthough i will say 'closer' broke to the 'normies'

>No social interaction allowed
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have the doc. He's basically was saying Ministry opened the door for NIN, not industrial into the mainstream.

I prefer their first album to be honest.

industrial other than maybe tds and the crow never really became mainstream...it was kind of the black sheep behind alternative and grunge...

No probs. They were the first, but there were others. SPK, Cabaret Voltaire, Fad Gadget then later Coil, Psychik TV (post TG), Einsturzende Neubauten, Whitehouse, Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly and then there's the whole Wax Trax roster

they were edgy 25 yrs ago before the Grunge scene and coasted along through it with that guy being forefather or it along with perry farrel. oh yeah Trent Reznor

Well in the sense of what record companies tried to capitalize on. Ie...Marilyn Manson, White Zombie, Monster Magnet, Stabbing Westward. Hell around that time even Motley Crue hired Front Line Assembly's Rhys Fulber to add production to their music.

I might be biased because I'm not a huge JA fan. I know like their two most popular songs and that's it. I just couldn't handle the lead singer. I literally bought just a straight up NIN tour teeshirt that night instead if the NINJA teeshirt just because I didn't like that band that much.

>I've never heard anyone say this band is bad, but the fans of this band seem like emos and edgy people.
>Triggered

Exactly. Millennials.

I saw the NINJA tour in Kansas City. It was raining just a tiny bit that night and it was an outdoor show. Perry Farrel tried to dance on top of a speaker and slipped and busted his ass and the show was stopped for a few minutes. Good times.