'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

>A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio.
>A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

>anonymous source

do Sup Forumsirgins really believe this shit?

Capeshit is garbage either way, but how the fuck can WB fuck up so much? Either copy marvel and stick to a consistent formula/tone for sure hits, or get better directors/writers and let them use their talent and make decent movies.

I cant tell whos more incompetent, WB or Sony

Does it really sound out of the realm of possibility? It seems to line up with everything we've heard about the production before...

I FUCK THE MUSIC

Will director cut save it?

It's going to be too late at this point. They're positioned in viewers minds as the second-best capeshit company and after this mess will have trouble drawing anyone who isn't a DCuck to their new releases because of their reputation for shitty movies. WW MIGHT save them due to SJW's wanting it to be good, but it's hard to say at this point.

>blindsided by the respond to BvS

This will never not be funny/baffling to me. How could they all sit down and watch the movie and not realize it was so shit?

I MAKE IT CUM

Glad you don't work in any news related place since you'd name your source right away.

When STOP INVINCIBLE SON can be approved by Warner Bros execs, anything can

look at wills face
Look at it
you can see the desperation
the fear
the anxiety
thoughts of 'why is my son a fuck up? the hell was i thinking with 'after earth', why can't i get back to my movie form? what happened to big willi weekend? i shoulda done id4:2, it woulda been a blockbuster with me it, i hope SS does better than bvs, i'm big willie, i'm will smith! WILL SMITH! FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK'

Just got back from the theatre.

Leto's joker is shit, the villain is shit, the story is kinda shit, but Holy shit the editing.

The fucking editing is on another level of bad. It feels so amateurish. Everything before the midway city bit is edited like a trailer, jump cuts left and right, dialogue cutting into each other. And the songs, holy shit. They're not even bad choices, but the way it's edited into the scene makes it feel so abrupt and out of place, like a fucking shitty AMV at the worst of times.

and the actual action bit, the re-shoots are obvious as fuck. "comedy" segments that are clearly part of the re-shoots are cut in where they clearly don't belong,

As for the actual story, it's a huge mess. It lacks focus. I did enjoy the characters though. Will smith basically just Will Smith-ed the whole way through it, but I don't really mind since I like will smith. Margot Robbie is a great Harley Quinn, but she does switch between her relatively normal voice and the weird Harley voice, but that's probably due to re-shoots. Fire dude was cool enough and the others was just there. Soldier dude gets kinda annoying though.

The real star of the movie for me is clearly the Boss lady. She should've been the focus of the movie.

Is there a single non capeshit or non franchise blockbuster that doesn't flop these days?

For redditbabys maybe

>theatre

Was the film being projected from a Kinomatograph?

They could get so desperate they might give Raimi's universe a second chance...

>hey guys it's me, your 40 year old Spider-Man *kaff kaff*

>all sit down and watch this shit

Do you really think this ever happened?

>not knowing that hollywood reporter would post this if they didnt know their source.

Animation I guess

>I don't know what the hollywood reporter is

fucking retard

this isn't random comics blog

when there's big money at stake, they have to. The problem is in whether they could tell the difference between shit movie or not.

I appreciate your optimistic view of the world, but people who have controlling interests in movie studios aren't movie people, they're money people. Movies aren't bottom lined until they hit the box office, so executives don't bother gathering their own information about their products. You need to understand the mind of someone who's educated to believe nothing is worth considering unless it's been pre-chewed by a data aggregator.

>id4:2
Why the fuck is it called "ID4:2" Why not just ID5?

SO THAS IT HUH

WE THE PATSIES

SUM FINNA SUICIDE SQUAD?

Jurassic World. You can thank it for old blockbusters being resurrected and turned into franchises.

Because you don't understand marketing

Anything by disney

how do you explain "studio interference" then? I can understand if the highest executives dont bother with it, but there are studio people whose jobs are to keep check and meddle in the shooting process to make sure the studio get what they want, even if it ruins the movie itself.

>DC suits panic and micro manage thier shit because bad criticism
Man..Disney really did a number on DC

Not him, but that was his point you fucking idiot

It wasn't even criticism for Suicide Squad. They just pussied out and recut it to pander to the GotG audience because BvS was such a shit show.

Ultimate Edition was great. Executives have no taste so they butchered it to get more shekels and called it a day.

You're an ignorant idiot, ignorant of how a study works and idiot because you aren't intelligent enough to shut your mouth.

They watched it, probably a first cut similar to the extended cut, and they showed it to a test audience too, probably diferent edits. And of course they knew it was shit.

The problem is that at that point they already had spent 250m (1/4 billion dollars!) and they had contracts for another 200m or so in advertising. Usually these movies are made with credits, the conditions of these credits are better if you compromise yourself to pay back soon. Reshoots means more debts and delaying the launch (so even more debts).

So they did what they could, NDA the reviews to the last day and go crazy with the marketing, trusting in the fact that a lot of people want to see a movie about Superman and Batman..

These movies have always been about rushing a product out as quickly as possible for a quick buck. This isn't anything new.

They're just getting worse and worse. Both Marvel and DC. Marvel is just doing things that appeal to critics while DC is being bold. Both are shit in their own way. Both solely exist to make money. All the actors involved are doing so for money and facial recognition.

Is Sup Forums this naive to think this is anything new?

thoughts on cara delivignes performance?

It's terrible

Zack Snyder is bold. DC is filled with cowardly executives now desperately chasing after the Marvel audience.

Is it true that based Jared only got a measly 10 minutes of screen time?

really? i thought it wasn't that bad

>all the method acting Jared Leto did
>only in 7 mins

i guess all the joker stuff was too grimdark so they cut it out.

This. Fucking this. They chose the talent, but wouldn't let him go with his vision. Same thng with Ayer. Fuck the execs. They deserve to crash and burn

>implying this wouldn't be better than Dark Knight returns

yes unfortunately, but the exploitation of margot robbies body makes up for it

How in anyway is Snyder bold?

He's a hack

that's perfectly compatible.

Don't forget, worldwide release date on the same day. WB execs knew it was a piece of shit, and they tried to max out what they'd be able to get from it

It's the biggest joke of all.

People wanted Joker, but there wasn't enough Joker. All the build up wasted.

Your mom, your dad, AND YOU, all froke.

BvS was miles ahead of Marvel releases

Bold doesn't mean good.

peoples want of the joker kind of reminds me of godzilla when bryan cranston dies in the first 10 mins

>advertise DCCU as "filmmaker first" universe
>hire Ayer to make an Ayer movie (dark, grimy, street level, etc)
>Ayer makes an Ayer movie
>teaser cut with GotG tone
>people go nuts for the teaser
>BvS comes out
>MASSIVE critical bomb, financially under performs, terrible word-of-mouth
>WB execs get nervous about Ayer's Ayer movie
>hire guy who cut popular GotG toned teaser to cut Ayer's movie into a GotG toned movie
>end up with piece of shit

Sound about right?

God that was so bullshit. The entire marketing had that movie framed as Cranston being the protagonist, and then we get some faceless meathead for the rest of the movie.

pretty much

also

>Edit BvS and cut out nearly all the story and character moments, make sure forced in Justice League teasers are still in the movie
>Movie gets railed for bad and choppy editing with a story that doesn't make sense and characters that just go form point a to point b

WB are literally cucking themselves and fucking their own films.

WB Damage Control spotted.

Snyder had final cut user.

>I cant tell whos more incompetent, WB or Sony
Let's see how Fantastic Beasts does in November.

Come on now, the film wasn't panned just because of the editing

Cranston's just as shitty of an actor as Quickass.

A lot of reviews focused in on that

BvS probably wouldn't have reviewed at a 90% because it's still a divisive movie, but it would reviewed a damn sight better than 27%

Woah..

Thanks Warner bros!

cut scenes, forced reshoots and bad editing
and..

bravo WB.. bravo

This is why there needs to be a Feige or a guy on top in a creative capacity. I'm not a fan of the MCU on the whole but there has to be a guy between the filmmakers and the money men to make a decision.

All execs know is dollar signs. They think, "GotG was HUGE so we'll just cut this the same way and it will be HUGE too!" and a guy like Feige can say, "No. We are gambling with something original. That is why GotG was huge and if you cut the shit out of this to make it something that it's not it will show." Filmmakers have no say in battles with Disney execs at Marvel but Feige acts as the arbitrator.

DC claims to be a filmmaker's universe because there's no one telling them what to do but Ayer just learns that that also means there's no one protecting their creative decisions from the guys who write the checks.

>the strong teaser trailer for the film
which? they were all so bad.
Was harley quinn actually convincing in the movie? the trailers made her look like someone pretending to be crazy by being XD random

Well, it's shit. All we can do is hope for the original Ayer's cut on blu ray. It's BvS all over again. Seriously, fuck the suits

Isn't that what Geoff Johns is doing now?

>capeshit
>capeshit
>capeshit
>capeshit

My god you guys are worse than Sup Forums, does no one here have a vocabulary? Fucking plebs.

I can't wait for the massive dropoff next weekend.
>People on Sup Forums thought it had a chance at $300,000,000.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Batman tends to work really well as a gruff middle aged character because he is portrayed as being large and intimidating. A fucking tank of a human being.

Spider-Man is traditionally just a skinny gymnast in a skin tight leotard.

WB is such a fucking mess right now no one knows. Hopefully this is the case with his new position.

>expecting anything from Johns
You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. He's gonna do what he's done everywhere else, push his shit through, ignore everyone else, force his own mandates, then everyone will pretend he isn't Michael Bay

>push rumor filled story day after controversy for clicks
>Say you've been sitting on inside info for months but coincidentally now is the right time to release it
>Hide rumor behind user source

Wow hard job you got there

basically this
and it's trad 2D animation to boot

Geoff johns is dc's feige

This; I like some of Johns' work but he is shallow. One of his writing partners on an old DC weekly series, Greg Rucka, talked about a conversation they had where Johns wanted to do some scene. Rucka said, why? What's the motivation behind this. Johns said, because it's cool. Cool for cool's sake.

That's Geoff Johns.

years of journalism just went down the drain because of this post
we're on the works for revising the whole 20th century now

Don't worry guys I'm sure that Aquaman movie is gonna turn out to be awesome... r-right?

This is really depressing. A decade ago WB was the shining light of creative freedom and competent filmmaking, while Fox was the big Satan infamous for fucking up everything nearly they touched with their executive meddling. Seems like the roles have now been reversed.

In both cases the CEOs is almost entirely to blame. Things got dramatically better at Fox after Tom Rothman left (and went on fuck up Sony's Spider-Man franchise), so I'm really hoping shareholders find a reason to boot Kevin Tsujihara.

All the filmmakers at WB (including Snyder) deserve much better.

At least the soundtrack is GOAT, we can always count on the DCEU for quality scores, right?

Because on that level decisions are made by a checklist of what demographic research tells you.

jesus christ, this is BvS all over again. They are going for the Ultimate Cut, aren't they?! AREN'T THEY?!?!? Those MOTHERFUCKERS

why can't the executives just leave the directors to do their own shit? jesus christ

It's just weird that they didn't realize BvS was a shit show largely in part to how butchered and muddled the editing for it was

copying the info from another thread

>Opening scene changed. Instead of June Moon in the cave finding and turning into the Enchantress it changed into the Deadshot scene that you saw in the clips (you still get the Enchantress origin scene but it happens after that).
>Added two scenes between Deadshot and Flag as well as a scene where Deadshot fight the Enchantress.
>The scene where Joker fight the Squad over Harley was cut. As well as him in the subway talking to them.
>Took down most of the scenes where he abused Harley. Changed a scene where he pushs her from an helicopter after fighting him to her jumping herself.
>Took down the scene where Boomerang comes back to help the Squad after leaving them.
>Took down a little story arc between Boomerang and Harley (you see a glimpse of it in the comic con trailer).
>Added the Flash cameo.

sounds like a fucking horrible decision. why the fuck do they think that people couldn't take joker hitting harley? fuck me

Hopefully the recent shakeup at WB will mean better things for the future of DCEU. Unfortunately Suicide Squad (and possibly Wonder Woman) is too far along within the old regime to make significant changes. Justice League will be their first true test I think..

Holy shit this is one of the dumbest posts on Sup Forums i've ever read, congratulations

Justice League is clearly the one most controled by WB

i think wonder woman may be okay.

hopefully this will make warner bros realize "oh shit it turns out us fucking around with things last second has ruined the movie.. again"
and they actually leave wonder woman alone

it really saddens me when you realize only a few months ago suicide squad was apparently a really good movie, but warner bros just had to come in, fuck it up and ruin it for everyone.

sad..

>Everything before the midway city bit is edited like a trailer, j
That's because if the leaks are true, it was edited by the people who made the 2nd trailer.

Hopefully Geoff Johns will act as a better buffer between Snyder and the studio executives than Charles Roven or whoever it was that produced BvS.

I don't know

two movies, both being cut only due to trailer reactions? that is some bad fucking decision making. even after BvS it should've been obvious that changing the movie post-production was a bad choice

WB is controlled by literal retards in my eyes

>now that everyone knows the movie is dogshit lets pretend it was studio interference =^)

Man of steel was dogshit.

Batman v Superman was dogshit.

Now Suicide Squad is dogshit.

Congrats WB, 3 for 3.

>people couldn't take joker hitting harley
Welcome to 2016, where sjw are directly responsible for taking fun and soul out of your movies

people should make some kind of hashtag on twitter like #WBSTOPCHANGINGYOURMOVIES
I'd love to see whether those fucks would have their eyes opened for once

I don't even see how the 2nd trailer was better than the first look one at comic con

what will the final RT score be? Suicide squad is at 32% currently

I don't have twitter unfortunately or facebook..

>WB is controlled by literal retards in my eyes
Just goes to show you how out of touch they are. Amy Pascal tier delusional

Geoff Johns is essentially an executive, even more now that he is president of DC Entertainment
And he knows jack shit about movies