Cultural Taboos: list them!

## IN THIS TOPIC ##
We list all topics and statements that:
>trigger culture-induced responses
>are taboo in general, and cannot be addressed publicly

## EXAMPLES ##
In my country, there are several topics or facts people will simply react to in a culture-driven way... i.e. most people will be triggered by them to the point of forgetting all rationality.
Reactions are like:
>but that's JUST wrong!
>it can't be like that
>etc.
Examples of taboo topics (some of them are silly):
>going barefoot in public unless it is warranted by the situation (e.g. at the beach)
Not all Italians, but most of them are triggered to no end by people (especially foreigners) being barefoot where "you're not supposed to" (who decided what you're supposed to do, is unclear and ill-specified).
Another one:
>Parmesan cheese on fish and seafood (unless warranted by a strictly coded recipe -- one of them being "cape sante" scallops)

## SIDE TOPIC: WHY THE AMERICAN FLAG ##
Recently, on Sup Forums, I noticed most Americans I interact with are strictly taboo-driven in most conversation.

Examples:
>thread on a topic
>people debating
>I tell a topic-related story
>am attacked because I am "not making a point"
WTF? I was just engaging in conversation like a normal human being. Like, say, we're at the bar... not at court.

>you express an opinion
>you disagree with them
>"muh, user, you don't know anything about America. You shouldn't talk of countries you know nothing of"
>then they proceed as usual judging other peoples and religions as if they knew everything about them

>they misuse labels and semantics
>literally all the rest of the world uses a word in a certain way
>they use it in a different way
>you point out this might be a source of confusion
>"muh duh user, you think you're special, are you?"

I am curious. Is this just web-related autism in general or is it something specific to Americans? I am puzzled. Did any of you anons notice this?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Sardinia
youtube.com/watch?v=xaJ2Mw2iavc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Japan has a million bizarre taboos. For example, going shirtless in public is gauche unless you're performing a physically exerting activity. Also women don't shave their pubes because that's the mark of a prostitute.

Zwarte Piet is racist

The labour party said Zwarte Piet had to change last december.
During the elections in march they went from 38 / 150 seats to 9 / 150 seats lol.

>Also women don't shave their pubes because that's the mark of a prostitute.
I didn't know this one!

Could you elaborate? Isn't that just a local tradition? Like religious celebrations in South of Italy (with fake crucifixions etc.)?

Also... doesn't it cast dark-skinned people in a positive light? It's a bit cliché, but it has done no harm so far, I presume.

If you're an admitted atheist, forget running for public office in the US unless it's a solid Democrat district. Surveys have shown that over half of Americans would not vote for an atheist.

Only a small minority from Amsterdam has a problem with it. Mostly American / Carribean niggers that make a problem out of it.

But people in the rest of the country don't give a shit. Not even black people. In fact, in the Dutch carribean they also celebrate it.

But the leader of the labour party is from Amsterdam.. and doesn't realize he caters to like 0,5% of the population.

Yes. Prostitutes traditionally shaved their pubes to prevent lice, thus respectable women do not do it.

There's some open atheists like Fakeahontas, but it is Massachusetts.

What I've personally experienced is that not being religious is a bit of a taboo here.
Despite being a secular country we were forced to sing prayers and shit in school. I am not religious so I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about praying. Some teachers used to ask me if I'm was an atheist as if it's a crime.
Also, religion (especially Hinduism) is glorified in films as a mark of being virtuous. Chauvinistic attitudes about "muh Indian culture" are also very prevalent.

Wasn't Nehru a nonbeliever? I could swear he was.

This is a shitpost. Send it to .

>If you're an admitted atheist, forget running for public office in the US unless it's a solid Democrat district. Surveys have shown that over half of Americans would not vote for an atheist.
Interesting contribution!

>Mostly American / Carribean niggers that make a problem out of it.
Seriously, is that them?
Or, as usual, isn't it some whiteys who make a problem out of it, thinking negroes will make a problem of it even if they don't have an intention to?

>But the leader of the labour party is from Amsterdam.. and doesn't realize he caters to like 0,5% of the population.
Do these people even get voted?

>Yes. Prostitutes traditionally shaved their pubes to prevent lice, thus respectable women do not do it.
I see. It's the famous meme:
>I am morally perfect
>So I must be healthy as well
Last day I was talking to some punters on an Italian prostitute forum, and I was apalled at how people could even downrate a girl just because she didn't do Bareback Full Sex. Guess what, some of them disclosed to me that there were some Latinas who used to think that everyone from South America was healthy and everyone from Europe wasn't.
Lol

Interesting.

You don't have to respond if you don't want to.

Good. The world needs less racism.

Yup, he was an agnostic. He wanted India to be secular and thankfully, for the most part, it is.
People don't hurt or harass you for not being religious like in many. Some just think it reflects badly on your personality.

Another Italian taboo is "open windows".

Silly as it sounds, people are pissed off by gusts of wind and air running through a household.
We even have a lot of sayings related to the assumption it is air -- not bacteria -- that make you sick.

So people, on average, will make random arguments against air conditioning, against open windows, etc.

I agree that cold muscles can suffer damage (but it always depends on how you exert effort) and that sudden changes of temperature can lower your immunity. I also agree that air conditioning can make you sick -- but just because bacteria develop in unclean ducts.

Although I agree with this, I do not think that the sheer wind can cause illnesses.

That sucks. I have doors/ windows open usually. Gotta love that fresh air, brah

Eh, 2 million people signed a petition to keep Zwarte Piet as it is within 24 hours. While only a handful signed a petition against. People are not going to change it.

Being against Zwarte Piet also makes people hate blacks even more.
Cops also arrest / beat up anti pete protesters.

No it isn't.

Fucking racist crackers.

>I have doors/ windows open usually. Gotta love that fresh air, brah
I'd lived in Australia for some years before I came back to Italy.
Beforehand, I was taking issues at my Texan housemate because he would open windows at random. Also, most venues in Melbourne felt cold to me or not heated enough despite the harsh weather.
Then I got used to it.
Now I am the one doing it and trolling my fellow countrymen about the benefits of fresh air.

>Eh, 2 million people signed a petition to keep Zwarte Piet as it is within 24 hours. While only a handful signed a petition against. People are not going to change it.
Sardinia has literally severed Moors' heads in its flag.

t. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Sardinia

Male rape, man crying and minorities who are defending right-wing people(I mean, in a political conversation)

bump

>Male rape
Saw a video on that in Australia.
A gay guy got drugged and ass-raped by some fucktards and got HIV as a consequence of it.

But the worst part was that nobody would believe him.

Good.

Hey bong, what about the UK?
What are your worst taboos? Belgian beer, maybe?
Or admitting that British colonization was actually a bad thing?

Taboos in the US:
>not saying the pledge of allegiance in school
>not standing at attention for the national anthem
>burning a US flag
>not clapping after the film is over at the cinema

some citizens of the United States of America unironically think we have tacos and burritos in Spain

Taboos in Spain:
>Showing the Spanish flag in public (considered fascist)
>Saying "Viva España" or other patriotic remarks (fascism)
>The Second Civil War and Franco
the transition to democracy removed all nationalistic sayings and proudness but forgot to make a new national pride and we dont have any since them

I've done 3 of those in Illinois and no one has given a shit

>Isn't that just a local tradition?
lolno

We celebrate it here too: both Flanders (Sinterklaas) and Wallonia (saint Nicolas), which is a rare phenomenon.

The fact that Santa Claus (the bastardized version of Sinterklaas) is celebrated all over the world, should give you an indication of how big it is in the low countries.

Taboos here would be things like
>Hmmmm
>Nootka

Bad trigger discipline

>>not clapping after the film is over at the cinema
WTF?
Italians clap when airplanes land.

>some citizens of the United States of America unironically think we have tacos and burritos in Spain
And what about the notorious:
>we have more rights in America than you do in Europe
(not considering Europe is composed of many different countries)

>>Saying "Viva España" or other patriotic remarks (fascism)
We have "Forza Italia"... but that's because Berlusconi hijacked a very popular expression so now it is very hard to pronounce it without making an immediate reference to him.
It's called "appropriation", I presume.

Except it seems to be widespread, because I keep hearing stories of that on /k/.

>clapping after a film
Fucking what?

You're not at a live play you don't need to clap for the screen.

bump

gays, lesbians, transgenders, bisexuals are taboo.

Sniffling triggers literally EVERYONE. No exceptions. Foreigners are pretty annoyed by it I'm told, because people keep offering them tissues at the first sniff.

Not dressing according to the weather is another major trigger.

This girl talks about it, starts at 1:00 min

youtube.com/watch?v=xaJ2Mw2iavc

IIRC, polls and surveys have shown that the least trusted religious groups in the US are atheists, Mormons, and Muslims.

Good.

ouch

>Amerifats

>Clapping
Dude shut up that doesn't happen at a movie theatre.