Do you believe in god?

Do you believe in god?

I dont know.

Yup, because I'm smart.

Unquestionably yes

It's okay. Opinions can be hard.

Yes, He will bless you beyond your wildest dreams if you stop sinning

by god i believe it to be the creative, conciousness responsible for existence. thats as deep as i will try to define it.

what i am doubtful about is whether we humans mean anything to god. i.e. whether there is consciousness after we die. id like to think so, but i cannot be convinced of it.

Gods existence doesn't matter

If it exists, so does fate and we have no choice but to follow his plan
If it doesn't, no matter what we do doesn't matter

Define god.

Yes. Death is too scary and messed up.
Human brains can't handle 42.

What if I don't want to be blessed? This NOT a phase
YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

kek

i love him. i cant do something when i dont believe in god

If by God you mean energy and nature then yes I do.

it is important for humans to believe in something greater than themselves.

look at any group of humans anywhere in the world at any time in history.

I believe in God and I believe in the resurrection of the dead through Jesus Christ.

yes

You mean your brain

>you can't have pissing orgies or scat parties in heaven

Why would anyone want to go there?

God is dead. If somehow god is alive, I'll kill it or die trying.

I do user. I know I shouldn't be on here neither.
It's become a habit at this point.

I haven't seen sufficient evidence of his/her/its existence to believe in him/her/it.
The only thing I've seen evidence of, is the existence of various different religions, but deciding which one is correct if any, is beyond me right now.

Yes

kek

Fuck no

Yes.

yes but I define it differently than the religious God. I think there is an eternal consciousness though. I don't think intervenes though. I think it's lost in our stories.

Of course there is consciousness after you die.

It's impossible to experience your nonexistence. Just like this time, you'll come back into existence without even being aware of how many years you weren't here.

If nonexistence was forever, we wouldn't be here.

>implying you're not only 12

No. I'm not an idiot.

Hell, no.

And when humanity finally goes extinct? Then what?

nah, I feel like the grandeur of nature could not possibly be intentional, also there are some animals that are clearly the product of over evolution to the point where they fuck up if something goes slightly off plan, see cats, also creatures that exist basically without purpose because they're basically reproductive existence machines, see the sunfish.
it makes sense that things are the way they are without guidance, that's how I see it
does one world really need that many trade centres?

Good on you, user, for not being a blind sheep.

Also, nice dubs.

You obviously didn't understand my post.

We weren't always here to begin with, yet here we are now after 13.7 billion years. That same amount of time, or more, or less, could go by and you wouldn't even know it.

Like I said, if nothingness was forever then that's exactly how it would be. Seeing as how we came out of the very nothingness we're going back into after death, it's safe to assume we'll come right back out of it.

Also, I never said you'd be conscious as a human again. Consciousness can't be snuffed out.

Speaking for OP

The bible speaks of us to be made in his likeness or image.

I do try to be as rationale as possible. I did come to the conclusion that God does exist. But through personal experiences.

>Pentecostal Christian since 3
>Former Non-Believer
>Crappy Christian (WE ALL ARE)

Ask me anything

we have no proof to back up what you said. nothing solid, at least. thats why its called faith.

>Consciousness can't be snuffed out.
What are black holes? What is dark matter?

yes, but I "picture it" like an architect, mathematician, chemist, physicist. have no shape and it doesn't control the humanity.
I don't believe in heaven or hell, I believe that we are made of particles that never die and our conscience or soul it's pure energy and following the law of conservation of energy, our "soul" cannot be destroyed but it can be transformed to something else.

Of course not, OP.

You can ask any theist to provide definitive proof and the only thing they'll provide is words and a book that was written over and over again throughout history.

Hardly anything substantial, unless you're a dimwit.

Have you read any other religious books?
How do you know you've made the right choice?

I believe in life after love

nope

I'm more on your side here but man, what the fuck do black holes and dark matter have to do with anything?

You don't understand.

We came out of the very "nothingness" we're going into, if that was to last forever then we wouldn't be existing right now to begin with.

Us being alive is proof enough that nonexistence isn't forever like people claim it is.

appreciate your willingness to discuss this stuff, but i think it just comes down to personal opinion. my thoughts are if you can find a belief that you are comfortable holding, then fine. good for you.

its tempting to jump in headfirst to organized religion and feel assured of immortality, but many people feel that is ingenuine.

i am interested to know what turned you from a non-believer to a believer

Not sure tbh, no side has me totally convinced.

Yes, I have faith, just not in the religious sense.

If nothing doesn't exist you can't come "out" of it, tard.

no but if there is a god he will for give me for think that there is not a god but i just think that what goes goes and luck is luck

cat didnt have much of an appetite did it

>what is reading comprehension

I didn't say "nothing" in the sense of no thing. I said the nothingness that we are going into, son.

There was obviously something here before our birth. Also, our Universe is proof enough that "nothingness" isn't forever, because it's claimed it popped out of it just as we did.

There's always going to be something, rather than nothing.

Science can resolve the question. There was a big bang, here we are 13.7By later as a collection of particles evolved to be the best in our habitat. In some time sun will explode, earth wil be no more. universe will cool down, nothing will be able to exist. the answer is DONT THINK ABOUT IT

your mistake is the belief that consciousness as we experience it is anything special, we're just mechanisms that recreate themselves then break down, our 'lives' just come to an end, they don't go into hibernation and come back later

fuck that guy

something out of our nature, knows no time, have neither beggining or end, created several universes and dimensions, can be everywhere at the same time, no human shape (because it's outside of our understanding), doesn't control humans, but it can control gravity and time therefore, this god can choose which planet have life and which it doesn't.

I am God!
Before Washington was, I am !

"Can there be absolute nothingness" is really 2 separate questions I would think, as follows:

1- First, can there ever have been absolute nothingness, i.e. if there had never been a universe the way we know it to begin with, and
2- Given that something now exists, or equivalently has existed at some point, can it ever be that full nothingness can re-establish itself at some point.

Tackling question number 2 first - There is no credible mechanism for full dissipation of what is (at any arbitrary point in time when something happens to be).
The only way to reach full nothingness would be to dilute everything to a fully vanishing point, but then because of infinitesimal residuals all the conditions extant to create at least one element term of the Heisenberg equation would be there - thus immediately giving rise to quantum foam, which would by definition not be pure nothingness. It's too late for pure nothingness to ever exist

Which leads us to the first question: Could there ever have been full nothingness.

Pure abstract mathematics however demonstrates that the Heisenberg relationship is inescapable in any universe, including a void universe (its ensemble of conjugate attributes being a perhaps infinite collection of 2-element sets). Heisenberg will however always give rise to 'quantum foam' - i.e., to something.

Therefore the question can be equivalently reformulated as : Can it be that abstract mathematics cannot exist independently of some material support.
Or equivalently: Can it be that abstract mathematics is not fully abstract. This seems to be a logical inconsistency, and therefore it must be answered in the negative.
Therefore, going back up the chain, we can safely conclude that pure nothingness cannot possibly exist.

Our Universe may be regarded as experimental proof.

You live a sad life if you really think the consciousness that we experience is anything but special.

the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, which is interesting, because it seems to shut down the idea that eventually all matter in the universe will fall back together and form another big bang

but since the universe is expanding at an increaseing rate... you see where this is going. crazy stuff.

No. I think that whatever is behind the universe is way beyond anything our brains will ever figure out though.

but you have the preconceived believe that we live on the only habitable planet in this huge and vast universe.
As well you are considering that human race may be able to travel across stars some time within the next 100 years or so.
we could migrate to other planets billions of years before the sun goes super nova

yes

If god exist then I'm going to kick his ass and become the new god

Like how he blesses the african children?

1. I never said the universe will come to an end and fall into nothingness, the matter in your body will stick around forever in a way

2. life is just a complex arrangement of chemical interactions that will one day end and there is no reason to believe anything will ever form to be 'you' ever again

3. I am quite happy not believing that my existence is 'special' for no distinguishable reason

I want add something here.

Consciousness is the presence of the ability to experience life (senses, emotions, perceptions, thoughts, etc.). Death is the absence of consciousness (inability to experience those senses). Going by this simple logic it would seem that all conscious things are fated to be immortal.

If one cannot experience death, then how does one die? The body may die, consciousness itself may end… but a conscious being cannot experience the absence of consciousness, therefore making this being immortal.

To further develop this idea, Think about what it is that you are. You are not your body, you are whatever it is (the mind, the soul, the ether) that experiences the experiences of the body. You are the awareness of self, you think therefore you are. You can’t experience “non-experience”, hence why you have no recollection of all those billions of years before you were born.

Basically, to put your consciousness on a timeline: you are all the parts where you are alive… if there is reincarnation, alternate dimensions, or whatever… you can only be the living parts. As soon as your body dies, consciousness is cut off… you don’t experience this period, if your consciousness is ever to be reconnected to a body, you would experience this right away. You can’t experience “non-experience”.

It's really not hard to grasp.

Oh shit, fat Kratos is in da house.

Please keep going, what you're saying is all very interesting.

I never said your existence is special, the consciousness that you experience your existence in is, though.

yes GOD does exist

I actually have, like the Quaron and the Satanic bible. Satanic bible more of a guideline. I spent a lot of time with the occult in my younger days because I wanted to be impressed, to see something visible.

I believe in my faith through experiences with God.
It started with my entire world collapsing.
>Mother passes away
>Father lands in prison
>All 4 of my younger siblings taken by the state
>deadinside.jpg
>Drug addictions
>Loneliness
>Girlfriend walks out
>Living with strangers

I craved something more out of life. Spoke to God on and off for a month every morning.

Started having sleep paralysis in dreams. Felt as if something didn't want to leave me.

I go to some church camp. Didn't want to be there really. Some girl whom I've never met, runs up to me and begins explaining why I went through what I've gone through.

Also several incidents like this I don't mind sharing.

All I'm saying is you can read the entire bible back and forth but you won't truly believe until you try is what I'm saying.

it's pretty easy to come to what look like logical conclusions when you don't fully understand what you're extrapolating from

for the lazy ones:

law of conservation of energy, we have an "electrical circuit" inside us, that energy that keep us alive therefore the consciousness it self cannot be destroyed, but can be transformed

Why not?

How about non abrahamic books?
Like norse gods, greek pantheon, the Bhagavad Gita, stuff like that?
If you stay within the same family of religion, you haven't really looked around much.

I suppose it's special in some ways but my point is that there's no actual reason to think it's caused by anything other worldly or some kind of greater power, it's just a collection of lots of tiny things that come together to make something so complex we don't really understand it fully
any assumption that 'because it's so special it MUST be something more' is completely baseless

Here is a simple picture depicting your life (the black line) and the two circles representing your birth and death. The colored areas (no-thing's) represent ceasing to exist. It is important that you understand that when I use the term no-thing in this post, I am literally refering to NO form of any kind and NO consciousness. Why is there no-thing before you were born? Remember, you believe that you will cease to exist when you die, therefore it would be quite absurd of you to believe that before you were born, you were alive. Therefore, before you were born there exists the same conditions --in fact non-conditions since no-thing (ceasing to exist) has no properties, but we will look at that later-- which exist after you die. In other words, the no-thingness before your birth and after your death are the exact same thing. how could "they" be different when they don't have properties? This leads me to the main point itself...

...If, after your death you are in the same situation of so-called non-existance as before your birth, then the absolute truth is that you will be reborn again, because you were born out of that no-thingness already. Here you are, you're alive. out of the same no-thing you will go into, you have come out of, for no apparent reason at all. Therefore, that implies you will live forever as one form or another, or as pure consciousness.

I didn't make this pic, btw. I just added an explanation for it

I agree, I don't believe in a god, much less that we're made by one, but that doesn't change the fact that I believe the consciousness that we experience is forever.

You had a rough go for a while huh.

Imm glad you made it through in one piece. take care.

explain then, I'm here to learn what other people believe as much as I like to share what I believe.

Exactly.

No I suppose not. I'd definitely like to study more. Not really for theological discussions but just to know more about people's personifications of who or what they believe is God to them.

I can only elaborate on what I believed was to be the other side of the spectrum of christianity.

Pure horse shit. That's like saying my computer's OS cannot be destroyed because it's an emergent property of the structure and electrical workings of my computer.

If I smash my computer, its operating system won't go to OS heaven, it'll just cease to be...

Hmm I suppose I understand what you're saying. But what is the point of even dying to experience, or not experience, death?

So in order to get religion. I have to lose one parent to death, the other to the legal system, have my siblings taken away and have a drug issue.
For some reason end up in a church and just as I'm at my most vulnerable, someone tells me that god had a reason for all of this?
I'm sorry you had to go through all of that user.
But if I were to be convinced, I'd rather have it happen while I'm not in tons of emotional distress, so I know they actually convinced me instead of predating on me.

>knows no time
>created
pick one

Creation implies change implies time, therefore creation independent of time is nonsense.

You theists have gotta start refining your arguments, user.

Yes, because I'm hoping you all go
to Hell

lol you're an idiot. a computer isn't conscious, therefore you can't compare that to what we experience.

I really like the polytheistic religions, their stories are full of drama and interpersonal strife and love stories. They're kind of neat that way. But once you've read about one of them, you'll recognize a similar mold for all of the others.

Yeah man it was a tough time.
Anybody who asks me how I've gotten through it expect some typical answer. But I can only give credit to the one who got me through it.

And no I'm not trying to sell anybody anything, it's simply what worked for me. I encourage anyone to try speaking to God. If something else gets you through life by all means, live and let live.

You are literally retarded if you think it is even possible that humans have souls and/or that gods exist lmao @ your "life"

lol you're the idiot, ass burger. The point went completely over your head.

Consciousness is analogous to an OS, since both are emergent phenomena dependent on the arrangement and electro-chemical workings of a physical structure like a brain or a computer.

Try to do some actual thinking before spewing your autism again.

I am the second coming of Christ, but I need money. Like... a million dollars to build a spiritual community suitable for meditation and a righteous lifestyle.

Too bad know one believes in me.

I do, definitely are powers of good and evil and unexplainable things like miracles

if your brain didn't reach this conclusion by the time you were about 10 you have a SHIT BRAIN

Make wine and repopulate the oceans with fish after buying stocks in fishing companies, you'll get your money in no time.

have you ever heard of singularity?
...no?
well that explains a lot, computers don't have any consciousness (yet).

Yes, I do.

see