Depression

Are there some movies that portrays depression, social anxiety, etc in a realistic and deep way?

Because on most movies I've seen, the "depressed" characters seemed normies on a bad day to me.

I wanna relate to a character.

Unrelated Carey Mulligan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LHtNPzaHO7k
youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they say that melancholia is pretty spot on, but i woudn't know because i'm not a depressive nu-male pussy

Inside Llewyn Davis is Literally Me: The Movie, except I'm not a musician. Watch that user, it's not a conventionally depressing film, if you watch it you'd understand

Control (2007) is the only one that comes to my mind

I brought that up because of Carey Mulligan actually, forgot to add.

>everyone I don't like is a nu-male
Thanks for the recomendation though.

Thanks.

>best girl turned out to be related
Cool, will probably watch.

>Existence well what does it matter?
>I exist on the best terms I can.
>The past is now part of my future
>The present is well out of hand

Thanatomorphose

If you haven't watched The Sopranos, would definitely recommend it.

Of course not. First of all, Hollywood actors have to be at least minimally attractive, which is unrealistic in and of itself. Then, they have friends and acquaintances in the movie because no one wants to watch a guy sit in a room forever. Then there's the love interest. And sometimes it's even a woman in the main role which is unrealistic for obvious reasons.

But Hollywood is not the world.

Young Adult

It's not really about depression, but I related to Patton Oswald's character because we're similar types of losers.

This film perfectly sums up depression for me.

Same shit.

this pretty much
of course this is real but he still has friends and fucks girls, I don't know if you can relate to that judging by your post
you'll find more luck with a book or maybe some depressing album

>real depression is being a neet shitposting all day

Suicide Theory

These kids don't fuckin understand.

candy
the fall (2006)
lilja 4-ever (yeah no this ones just sad)
mary and max

you don't have to be ugly or alone to be depressed

but it certainly wouldn't hurt not to be right

>Unrelated Carey Mulligan.
My ass, Carey's movie choices are suffering some times.

probably have heard of it.

buffalo 66.

it's an amazing movie

it really brings out the feels

i cried

>muh invisible sickness for attention
>woe is me

Oslo, 31 august and Reprise

Jesse in AoJJbtCRF

more melancholic depression hough

Je, Tu, Il, Elle

The Man Who Sleeps

If you haven't taken a ride on the Dickey you need watch Evangelion.

Melancholia nailed it pretty well I'd say but I'm not a woman.

I'm surprised so few touch on how food tastes different, it's the fuckest thing I've ever experienced.

HEY DEPRESSO

While it may not look it (and the first half of season one is pretty bad) Bojack Horseman has a pretty interesting depressed main character

Melancholia for sure.

Hey, what is this from?

The GoodTimesKid

not a movie but
the leftovers

Seeking a friend for the end of the world

>Oslo, 31 august
absolutely this

Bojack Horseman on Netflix

(it's a show not a movie, but still)

thanks

wjats up red it

>social anxiety
Please fucking kill yourself.

leaving las vegas

rectify

Hey man merry pringles

the beaver
i dont know how i feel about it yet
it was interesting but i kind of didnt like it

betty blue
its more about borderline i think but it was kind of disturbing

It's about a crazy whore that takes a lot of cock and ruins men's lives.

Which is what "depression" is for women so yeah.

two days, one night

She had pretty nice pit hair though.

The Zero Theorem

>but he still has friends and fucks girls

Thats irrelevant for depression. Actual bad stuff can make you feel bad, or even trigger genuine depression, but the thing with depression is that it destroys your capability to enjoy and care, to varying degrees.

I'm diagnosed with (relatively mild) depression with a passive death wish and I have a few very close friends, fuck the occasional girl and look decent enough. Depression is drinking a beer with people in the summer sun, getting attention from a fun hot chick, making jokes, making people laugh, laugh yourself, but feeling nothing on the inside except boredom and the urge to sleep/get wasted/forget. Depression is not being able to enjoy what used to gave your life purpose. When you're not suicidal, it feels like waiting for the end of a boring movie that you don't turn off because there is nothing else.

Melancholia shows this quite well I have to say.
>eats favorite dish
>"it tastes like ash"

Being unhappy or lonely isn't the same as depression.

see

Three Colors Blue

No, what that dude is describing is having too good of a life and being bored.

>Ctrl+f Welcome To The NHK
>Phrase not found
Hmmm, maybe that is more autism than depression. But it makes me depressed to know that I am probably never going outside again.

No, I'm really not. I have enough genuine problems that normies will recognize as problems.

(family deaths, money issues, housing issues, study issues, literally insane parents, longterm relationship imploding)

But that makes you sad/unhappy, which is different from depression. As a teen there were periods I was lonely as fuck. I sperged hard around women. Home situation not that great. But my interests in movies, music, books, and the occasional social experiences I did have worked as a balm and gave me some of the most genuinly happy memories of my entire life, despite being insecure and not really happy in general. I looked at the future with hope and had ambitions I believed in, ideals I stood for.

Superficially my life is better now, but that doesn't matter for depression. Even being aware of it doesn't change much.

That's why melancholia is great. The girl has everything going for her. Nice husband, looks good, has money. But it doesn't matter, because it doesn't have the effect on your internal world you would hope and expect.

Imagine drinking beer and it tastes like water and you remain sober.

Just fuck off overprivileged faggot. Give me all your shit if you're feeling "depressed", maybe altruism will help.

>It's a you can't bring yourself to get out of bed episode

Surprised no one said The Sunset Limited

I don't get depressed, I just live in a perpetual state of paranoia. Pretty patrician mental disorder if you ask me, I'm like 3 steps away from becoming schizo.

the lost weekend 1945. it's about alcoholism, but you know.
a short film about killing

It's very difficult to show any nonNormies in an industry were everyone is hired on their looks and is usually extroverted and super rich.

The deformed guys in Under the Skin and The Goonies come to mind but not leads.

carey mulligan is a girl which i want to fuck

Get back to Tumblr with your privilege shit you utter and total faggot. I work two jobs to stay afloat. Being a lazy obese linkin park listening otaku NEET that can't get laid just isn't the same as depression.

I'm trying to explain depression and why Melancholia portrays it really well. I'm not looking for sympathy on an anonymous burmese livestock trader imageboard.

It portrays it really well because it shows a lazy privileged cunt who has a great life and can do whatever she wants but LE DEPRESSION MAYMAY just like you. Fuck off. Try cutting your legs off and see if that makes you FEEL ALIVE.

The United States of Leland.

Kek. You clearly don't understand depression. Go back to CRAWLING IN YOUR SKIN

I dont even want to fuck her

I just want to cuddle and feel her embrace

kill me

Listening to "Party and Bullshit" and it fits perfectly.

Frank, starring Michael Fassbender

I love how all the retarded NEETs in this thread pretend they actually know what depression is like. Shit if life was really only about looks and being "normie" then I wouldn't have been borderline suicidal for 3 years

Go fuck yourselves you hypocrites. You claim normies don't understand depression, but you fucking faggots yourselves don't understand it. Being a lazy neckbeard who can't talk to women doesn't qualify as depression

>Hey guys can you recommend me cheap flicks that appeal to my desire to romanticize my pathetic life so instead of working on bettering myself I can ponder on how haunted and deep my inner world is and falsely attribute some kind of depth to my existence. thx :P

Listen to some Burial you big homo

youtube.com/watch?v=LHtNPzaHO7k

Mother Night

Most underrated animated kino.

Rocks in my pockets. A masterpiece about depression and insanity.

>i'm successful and my life is hard and i never whinge

fuck off you are the worst type of person

closest I've seen to myself

except I'm just a fucking loser not an addict

Depression is oblivious to real life circumstances. The reason people become losers with depression is because doing things that normal people find fulfilling does nothing for us. Thus we have no reason to bother. We're not depressed because our externals aren't looked after.

>i almost suicided
thats like saying you almost got laid in thread about virgins
you're even more pathetic trying to act like youre above the rest

I Stand Alone

thread /

Very wrong unless you have a depressive personality disorder or something.
It's more likely that you're lacking a sense of guidance and purpose, a proper nutrition and love.

Seek a therapist and/or exercise some introspection.

>Very wrong unless you have a depressive personality disorder or something.

That's what depression is...? A mental illness

OOOHH YOU MEAN NORMIE MEME "DEPRESSHUN"

fuck off

No you fucking donkey.
Depression isn't an ontological preset, it's what occurs for specific reasons.
There are some neurological causes which you really cannot avoid or treat completely, but what you're most likely suffering from is leading a shitty life and seeking entertainment to romanticize it because you feel like it has some kind of profound depth or meaning instead of admitting it's ultimately your fault.

I never seen it but I heard of a movie called Prozac Nation

Well the things outside my control have already impacted me too deeply to make a full recovery and be a normie

add to that I probably have aspergers

>normie/depressed person dichotomy
Your problem is you're incredibly stupid.
Fuck off dummy.

the assassination of richard nixion

>This guy who rants about how his special depression is real
>Telling someone else to go back to tumblr

Oh jesus christ

youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8

True Detective season 2

So depressed he doesn't notice the woman is like 80 years old.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty is a great movie about a guy with crippling depression and social anxiety. It's uplifting in that he takes a chance to experience life for what it is, rather than what he imagines it to be. In the end, he still struggles with his anxiety and depression, but he grows to realize that life is complicated, beautiful, and worth experiencing outside his imagination.

Her nailed it for me.

It was a garbage reddit movie
Fuck off

this is a television and film board treat it as such

I saw this as more of a movie about artistic integrity and selling out more than anything, but I feel those themes were presented too blatantly to be the only thing going on

Its funny bc their animals

I feel that music can portray depression better than any film I've seen. Also certain kind of isolation and solitariness.