"OK, here's what happened, 'cause I know he has his opinion, now here's mine. In that interview the writer said...

>"OK, here's what happened, 'cause I know he has his opinion, now here's mine. In that interview the writer said, 'Are you guys sick of people ripping you off?' I said, 'Who are you referring to?' and he said, 'Well, Mike Patton in Faith No More.' So I told him what our drummer said, and yeah I watch that 'Epic' video, and I see him jumping up and down, rapping, and it looked like I was looking in the mirror. The thing is, I had no problem with him personally. I mean, I love 'The Real Thing,' and I liked his vocals on that record. I mean, when I heard the record I noticed subtle similarities, but when I saw that video it was like, 'Wait a second here, what the fuck?'" -- Anthony Kiedis

>"I mean, the Chili Peppers is something I hadn't really thought of in years. And I'll go ahead and tell you this. Why not? I haven't told anybody else yet. We were looking at booking some Mr. Bungle shows in Europe this past summer, some big festivals, which is something we'd never done before. We figured it'd be a good thing: We'd get to play in front of a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise hear us. Our agent was in the process of booking these festivals, and it was becoming apparent that we'd landed some pretty good ones—one in France, another one in Holland, some big-name festivals. Turns out someone's holding a grudge! We were booted off several bills, including a really big festival in Australia, specifically because Anthony Kiedis did not want us on the bill. He threatened to pull the Chili Peppers if Mr. Bungle was on the bill. Now, rationalize that one! That's so fucking pathetic! I mean, this guy's selling a million records! We are not even a speck of dust on this guy's ass! What's the fucking problem? It's unbelievable." -- Mike Patton

Who was in the right here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI
youtube.com/watch?v=TmnBMKPIiNA
youtube.com/watch?v=hDIb5AQJ2TQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mr. Bungle is an industry plant.

but how

bump

>music video inspired by another band
>all the sudden they shouldn't be allowed to play shows for the rest of their career as a band

There is a missing piece here. What happened between 1989 and 1999? California sounds nothing like rhcp. Don't forget that Mike Patton is a notorious douchebag. I don't believe that Anthony would just kick off a no name band unless there was some bad blood between Patton and him. There is something missing here.

two wrongs don't make a right?

>Don't forget that Mike Patton is a notorious douchebag.
Not a fan of his art, but I've met him a few times before and he's a good dude.

>Based on various interviews with the people involved, it seems to boil down to this: In 1989 Faith No More released an album called "The Real Thing," and several singles from that album for which videos were made. The video for "Epic" became very popular, and Patton was suddenly seen in silly clothing, swinging his long hair around, rapping to Faith No More's funk-metal sound, all over the world. Anthony Kiedis seems to have been oblivious to the fact that this sort of combination of funk, metal, and rap (always accompanied by bad clothing and hair) had been the trend on the West Coast for some time, and wasn't actually invented by his band. Envious of Faith No More's success, and angry that it seemed to have been achieved at least in part due to the wild frontman who he thought had stolen his "moves," he accused Patton of ripping him off in the press. Members of Mr. Bungle responded by gleefully threatening Kiedis with bodily harm in the press. Eventually Patton and Kiedis met in person, were polite to one another, and everyone lost interest.

>Many years later, after Faith No More was long gone and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were hugely successful, the release of Mr. Bungle's "California" was pushed back by Warner Bros. so it wouldn't come out at the same time as the Red Hot Chili Pepper's similarly-named "Californication." Then, when Mr. Bungle were asked to play at some European festivals in the Summer of 1999, Kiedis threatened to cancel his band's appearance, and Bungle were dropped. That Halloween, Mr. Bungle retaliated by playing a show in Pontiac, Michigan dressed as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, complete with freqent heroin injections and covers of really bad songs. This resulted in Kiedis having them kicked off of some Australian festivals.

This is the whole story. It's biased towards Patton, but it's the best I've found.

bumpo

what are you looking for here? two semi-tards got into a slap fight. who cares?

idunno discussion I guess

Faith No More existed before Mike Patton, I always felt Mike was emulating the style of the original singer and the band's pre-Patton aesthetic. Not RHCP.

youtube.com/watch?v=LQhX8PbNUWI

"Oh it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it" is sung with the same type of melody that Patton would continue to use, and with the same kind of vocal inflection that Patton would use.

And the other thing is how does Anthony and/or the rest of the Chili Peppers literally not understand that THEY are the shitty version of Faith No More, not the other way around?

>how does Anthony and/or the rest of the Chili Peppers literally not understand that THEY are the shitty version of Faith No More, not the other way around?
I'm pretty sure the rest of the band likes Faith No More
Anthony is just a hack and an asshole

I just want to add I grew up in the 90s and I never thought they sounded anything alike. Faith No More wrote great songs and RHCP wrote give it away and under the bridge which were annoying as fuck. RHCP was closer in tone to something like fISHBONE, and Faith No More was closer in tone to Dirt-era Alice In Chains (hard rock/metal with interesting chord and tempo changes and strong lead vocalists).

also, Greg Turkington was FNM and Mr Bungle's tour manager for awhile. He helped them mock the Chili Peppers by being FNM/Bungle's opening act as his intentionally awful stand-up character Neil Hamburger.

Here's his anti-RHCP set.

youtube.com/watch?v=TmnBMKPIiNA

these jokes are awful but I laughed at the entire thing

>What happened between 1989 and 1999? California sounds nothing like rhcp.
Frusciante came back but now he was a worthless hippie now who wrote soft pop cheesy songs because his brain was fried
youtube.com/watch?v=hDIb5AQJ2TQ

>Shitty version of Faith No More

They don't even sound a thing like Faith No More. Faith no more is alt metal. They're both good. Why do we have to shit on one and like the other.

>They're both good.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

RHCP has some pretty good songs desu

Unpopular opinion FNM is good, but RHCP is on a different level. Angel Dust is amazing 8/10. The Real Thing and King for a Day are just good 6-7/10. Everything after is horrible.

RHCP has Freaky Styley, Uplift, MM, BSSM, Californication, and BTW. They're better live, and Frusciante and Flea wipe the floor with Gould and Martin. I know Sup Forums thinks rhcp is dadrock, but rhcp just sounds better. I prefer rhcp playing crazy funk songs with stupid lyrics jumping around on stage with Frusciante jamming instead of Patton trying really hard to turn FNM into a solo project with zero musical direction.