Remember when Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature...

Remember when Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, and a bunch of trust fund millennials were upset because they thought the guy who wrote "Desolation Row" wasn't a fucking poet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ftdeb4ejQSg
youtube.com/watch?v=fMzcwlmhfws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i remember

>music isn't poetry
>who is robert burns

Bob Dylan was an excellent choice.

oooh member when whiny liberals weren't around
oh i member
fuck off the only people i heard whining about it were people who thought Bob Dylan was a hack (you people on this website)
everybody else was fine with it

I can think of plenty of artsy liberals on my social media who weren't happy with the decision

Yeah, nobody at all.

i remember reading the vice article and thinking it was one of the weakest arguments i've ever read in my life, on par with a Sup Forumsshitpost.

>shitpost

To be fair you could apply that word to almost everything churned out by the halfwitted Vice hacks. What a piece of shit sub-tabloid rag that is.

Bob Dylan is an incredible artist, but he doesn't write literature, it was still s stupid pander-ey decision to give him that award. It's almost insulting to his talents as a musician/performer. The melodies, instrumention and his manner of singing are all intrexicable, fundamental aspects of his songs. Yes I know some epic poetry used to be set to music, but those works aren't remembered by those accompaniments, like at all. With Dylan, it isn't even just sheet music or general folk melodies, due to the nature of recorded music, it is these singular performances that are preserved and exist in the cultural conscious. It's just not fucking literature.

anyone who reads actual books knows that Dylan does not deserve that prize at all

Remember when Bob Dylan won the '''Noble''' and wanted nothing to do with '''them''' or their '''awards'''?

I mean. You must be a moron to the history of music and Literature to say Dylan didn't deserve this.

No, because it didn't happen like that at all. I am not a millenial, nor do I have a trust fund, and it sickened me, because what it said was that a multimillionaire rock star was more deserving of the prize than people who committed themselves all their lives to specifically literary forms. Dylan is a great librettist, but prizes already exist to acknowledge those accomplishments.

Absolutely.

Dylan has had ZERO (0) influence in literature. Nothing would change at all if he had never released a single song

ITT: a shill fake arguing w/ themself about whether Dylan deserved a scam award

this

/thread

if they were going to give the prize to any songwriter it should have been Leonard Cohen. screencap this, 50 years from now when the nominees for 2016 are revealed, we're gonna find out Cohen was supposed to win but died too soon

He really didn't. On the other hand you have people like Salman Rushdie not getting a Nobel Prize because:
>Rushdie was strongly favoured to have received the Nobel Prize in Literature but the Nobel organisers were later quoted as saying that they would have been "too predictable, too popular."

Nobody will remember Bob Dylan as a Nobel Prize Winner, though. As a matter of fact, I'd forgotten he had won it.

will you please fuck off. Your conspiracies are annoying as fuck

Yep. Based Bobby D

They gave a million - the Nobel is a cash award, in case you didn't know - to a guy who wouldn't even notice it.

John Berger died in January at the age of 90.

>conspiracy

Bob Dylan did petty much everything he could not to have anything to do with that little sham.

>awards
Absolutely retarded. The Nobel is as important as the MTV awards

>melodies, instrumention and his manner of singing are all intrexicable, fundamental aspects of his songs
Which is why they're covered so often and successfully by other artists in different styles?

>It's just not fucking literature
I disagree. Try reading some of his lyrics not set to music, I think in 50 - 100 years time we'll be seeing them in respected poetry anthologies.

These are my rather crowded, messy bookshelves.

I think Bob Dylan most certainly deserved the Nobel Prize.

Cohen didn't die until after the announcement. He would have been a better choice, as he was a poet and novelist long before he was a songwriter.

I'm pretty sure Bob would notice his balance going from 300 millions to 301 millions

>respected

Only by idiots. A guy with a lot of Iain M. Banks thinking it was deserved doesn't surprise me.

Mass literacy was a mistake.

>Nobody will remember Bob Dylan as a Nobel Prize Winner, though
>Says this in a thread about him winning the novel prize
Moron.....

Would have been badass if Dylan didn't even show up to do the mandatory presentation/speech/lesson/concert or whatever that he needed to do to claim his award money, but I guess a Jew's gotta Jew what a Jew's gotta Jew

OP here. I would have been just as happy with that decision.

Maybe he checked to see it had gone in, but it won't have changed his life. There are literary writers older than him who have to teach for a living. The prize is for people like them, or was. Awarding it was also a way of saying that there are no American writers worthy of it - American whining about no American ever winning was a big issue in recent years. At least Dylan isn't Cormac McCarthy or some murder candidate like that, but still.

>Mass literacy was a mistake.

Wow, that's the cuntiest comment I've seen on Sup Forums in years. Impressive (though please don't stop that from killing yourself).

>Would have been badass if Dylan didn't even show up to do the mandatory presentation/speech/lesson/concert

He didn't!!!!!

He sent a taped speech on the condition no media be present

(and I think he only did that because he likes being alive)

>This is why I'm antisocial

I remember that, it was hilarious. The Nobel committee giving the middle finger to the whole of American literature by ignoring all the worthy American authors and giving it to a songwriter.

You've been on the wrong boards. Your parenthetical comment is mangled.

dylan committed his life to writing and because of that he earned his fortune. to this day he still stands alone in a lot of people's minds as one of the greatest lyricist ever because his words had a lot of meaning to the people who listened to them. he happened to be a fantastic song writer as well but he also revolutionized the way people write and think about lyrics and that must amount to something.

fuck off shills w/ your whole stupid fake argument.

No one IRL debates whether Dylan was worthy.

We're just proud of him foe wanting nothing to do w/ their bogus award.

>Mass literacy was a mistake.
HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG

I thought he ended up doing a concert in person that was separate from the actual award ceremony that he needed to do to be able to claim the award money? I don't know

1. No, he committed his life to showbusiness.

2. To a lot of people who either don't read literature or are elderly hipppies who think that rock music was in some sense more meaningful than other pop before and after it.

3. We already have prizes for songwriting.

4. Populism meaning nothing is the entire point of the Nobel Prize.

nothing blue pilled about Bobby D

youtu.be/ftdeb4ejQSg

No, that's including /lit/. Believe it or not I am capable of reading bestselling authors alongside more high-brow stuff as I read for pleasure rather than some pseudo-intellectual persistence at coming across as erudite.

>Which is why they're covered so often and successfully by other artists in different styles?
There are like maybe 5 Dylan covers that have the same weight as his originals (and that's debatebale) and even still, they use the melodies, chord progressions, and overall song structure that he wrote.
>I think in 50 - 100 years time we'll be seeing them in respected poetry anthologies.
Jesus christ no we won't. We might not even have "respected poetry anthologies" in 50 - 100 years because poetry as a popular art form is basically dead. Songwriting is starting to take its place, largely due to people like Bob Dylan, which is why he should be praised as an artist (also I'm not saying there aren't good poets nowadays, just that as songwriting has became more and more of a focused art, the role poetry had for the public is being replaced by it). He still doesn't write literature.

nope. he sent a taped speech on the condition that there be no press and that's it.

Bob's not Mark Kozelek or Father John Misty. He's been around the block a few times. He knows that $ aint free.

Is it common for the nobel committee to award prizes for what a person did 60 years ago?
Cause Bob's literature ain't mattered since then.

Cole Porter was a better lyricist than Dylan. He didn't win the Nobel Prize because he died before the boomers got cultural seriousness into a death grip of bullshit.

>the world we can't see

Interesting

Couldn't he just as easily be talking about God? As far as we know he's still a Christian

>At least Dylan isn't Cormac McCarthy or some murder candidate like that,
What? McCarthy is a brilliant writer

Youcan fuck off with your fake argument already. No one buys it.

you sound like you take your preferred method of escape too highly

No, /lit/ is one of the wrong boards. Anyone who calls refusing to consume garbage "pseudo-intellectual" is pure /lit/, the kind of person literacy is wasted on. You can't even spell "highbrow", that's how highbrow you are!

Sure. It's an interesting way to phrase that though.

>which is why he should be praised as an artist
What, you think evil = good, chaos = order? You are mistaken.

fuck off shill

Let's discuss why Dylan wanted nothing to do with this allegedly prestigious award.

Yes the Nobel is awarded for a writing career not a particular work, well in theory.

Yeah no, again, the Nobel Prize is supposed to be a bulwark against this attitude, not an aid to it.

No. The obvious connection would be Satan not god. A la selling your soul at the crossroads.

Because he's literate enough to know that giving it to him was completely wrong, aesthetically, morally and even categorically.

Ah, spelling, the go-to attack for the dullard cocksucker.

So what's this fantasy board you refer to full of misanthropic geniuses such as yourself? /mlp/?

No he isn't, he's a hilariously overwrought professional hick who needs to be kerb-stomped.

Still with this retarded fake argument your having with yourself.

Bob Dylan wanted nothing to do with the (((Noble prize))).

That's the story here. (but you know that).

Smh

The shills really don't want us discussing Dylan wanting nothing to do w/ the Noble prize.

They say Dylan's a genius you know

No, you are a pompous illiterate.

You don't even have the ability to carry your own words in your mind from minute to minute. You said it was the "cuntiest" remark you'd read in years. Do you seriously think nothing harsher has been said on Sup Forums or Sup Forums just within the last 24 hours?

You want to pretend that the Zionist Jew Bob Dylan was somehow protesting something Jewish? OK.

I suspect they've been fucking with Dylan since the very beginning.

Prob be dead if he wasn't a Jew.

I think Bob has been trying to get away from the actual Zionists at least since he faked that motorcycle accident.

But they're aging. Soon, uneducated "nurses" will spray their private parts with Febreze. Maybe some will get abused by the big guys who take those jobs for sexual reasons. Some will have party hats put on their dead bodies for selfies. The racist, self-regarding, worst generation are drinking in the last chance saloon. This is why they gave it to Dylan, a last attempt to persuade themselves that they weren't evil, weren't a heartbreak to their parents and a disgrace to their children and their children's children. The attempt will stand in the history of absurdity, and in twenty years we'll be rid of them all, God willing. Pity Sweden's going to be in the Caliphate, but fortunately, our generation was never seduced by the delusions of Whig history.

Redpill me on this.

>pompous illiterate.
>"mass literacy was a mistake"
>pompous
>POMPOUS

You're not only a cunt but you're a fucking hypocritical moron too. I'm not taking offence at at how "harsh" your statement was, I am astounded that anyone would be so arrogant as to believe that they are part of some elite to which education ought to be solely reserved.

you think they just allow someone to become the 'voice of his generation'?

fuck off already shill. Dylan is loved and respected by multiple generations.

Dylan was too much for (((them))), that's why they tried to assimilate him, and almost successeed

something definetly went down.

There is a reason Dylan didn't want the award.

He certainly wasn't going to allow himself to be used.

A lot of 20 somethings could learn a thing or two from the old guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=fMzcwlmhfws
This is a fucking masterpiece, but only as a combination of its parts. The lyrics themselves would be absolute rubbish without his unique delivery. And then Dylan's voice can only sing these type of lyrics. I mean, try to imagine Dylan singing retarded rock and roll songs about cars, plus the melody and his harp and guitar playing. He does not deserve a literature award because he's a musician first, he has even said so himself.

There we are, that's your level - whining. It's not arrogance. You're angry because your attempt to present yourself as part of an elite by showing us your bookshelves failed, and left you more vulnerable than if you hadn't bothered. The sooner you stop posting, the better you'll feel.

When a music is intimidated by its own past achievements, that music dies.

>something definetly went down.
He faked the accident because he was going to die unless he stopped, that's my favorite Dylan period, when he was playing ancient bluegrass songs while everyone else where doing all that retarded eastern psychedelic shit.

fuck off Pajeet, your English sucks, and your point is incoherent

find honest work

Imagine if in the year Dylan recorded his first album, the Nobel Prize had been awarded to Irving Berlin. That's how dreadful this was.

>because he was going to die unless he stopped
I don't necessarily disagree, but there is a lot to this story no one knows.

and yeah, Pink House era was cool

Yep, John Wesley Harding is his best album.

Young people listening to records from fifty years ago for pleasure are in trouble. They live in a dangerously sclerotic culture.

Because I said it, it is true

>Young people listening to records from fifty years ago for pleasure are in trouble. They live in a dangerously sclerotic culture.
>more incoherent offshore shill nonsense

>He certainly wasn't going to allow himself to be used.
Bob Dylan - Chrysler advert
Bob Dylan - Cadillac advert
Bob Dylan - underwear advert

>Young people listening to records from fifty years ago for pleasure are in trouble.
fucking retarded

>but there is a lot to this story no one knows.
Well yeah, that fucking hanger on piece of shit leech Bob Neuwirth that followed him everywhere, funny how after the accident he was nowhere to be seen near Dylan

It's true, his influence is entirely musical. Look what happened when he started being musically hack while still doing a good job on the lyrics, like on Street Legal. He got panned. How many people can stomach Brownville Girl? He's a musician first, as he said himself.

Maybe he wanted to do those.

I 100% believe he wanted to do the Cadillac and Victoria's Secret advertisements.

Dude was in an episode of Pawn Stars.

He does what he wants.

yeah, he's all over Don't look Back.

But nah I don't think he has anything to do with it.

He played on the Rolling Thunder Revue tour.

Desolation Row isn't a very good song from a literature standpoint

It's extremely clear he was just taking drugs and rambling

>Maybe he wanted to do those.
Lel I'm pretty sure he's not even aware these ads exists

It's really not. Imagine if the bands of the 60s had busied themselves pastiching parlor ballad songwriting. That's the situation we have now. Rock shouldn't still exist - its historical imperatives have completely gone.

>part of an elite by showing us your bookshelves failed

Now we've got to the root of the problem. I was not attempting to come across as 'elite' in any sense of the word, I think I'm quite a normal down-to-earth person and moreover that anyone who believes themself to be 'elite' is invariably an utter cretin. I did however take exception to the absurd claim that anyone who reads could not possibly support Dylan winning the Nobel Prize, which is why I posted a photograph showing evidence clearly to the contrary.

>your level - whining
By all means feel smug about your own level, which from what I can see entails picking at peoples spelling and word choice whilst feeling supperior about your apparently incredible intellect. Arguing with you is like arguing with a verbose fourteen year old afflicted Asperger's.

>sooner you stop posting, the better you'll feel
I can't deny that one, I'm going to bed as it's 3am. Please do take the liberty of having the last word, though I assure you I'm not interested enough to check what you said in the archive tomorrow. I'm sure you know what they say about arguing on the internet and the special olympics.

Albert Grossman is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more suspect than Bob Neuwirth.

He's IN one of them.

t. shill

fuck off already

lel, he was in them

You're so insecure, it's sad.

Grossman let him fuck his wife, he's based