Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

Is this the greatest disturbing thriller of all time?

Nothing comes close to that bathroom scene

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a shame the Stephen King mini series wasn't as scary.

What I do look about the mini series is that it explains who that women was in the bathroom which the Kubrick version leaves out (but then some say say this is better as it makes it more mysterious).

And a hedgehog maze which you can be trapped in is way more scarier than CGI hedgehog animals coming to life.

But I know people will say the Nicholson version failed to show a proper son and father relationship version as the mini series and book version does.

nope, it was shit.

literally the greatest film of all time

It was pretty good.

I love Kubrick shots, he makes the character just a smaller part of a bigger picture and it becomes a lot scarier because of it.

>I love Kubrick shots
same here user. He has this technique I like to call "The Kubruck Wideshot" where he does this very strong technique which is like you said, make the actors feel small but other parts of the image so very strong and meaningful.

Quick question: what kind of a man dies in a hedgemaze... with an axe at hand?

One that is vulnerable to sub zero temperatures.

yeah, the same happened in 2001 in the red chair lobby, you could see the lobby extending infinitely in the background with the main character being the most distant to the camera, surrounded by all the others like they were vultures. It's a pretty powerful shot.

the bathroom scene is certainly the best of the picture but in my opinion the shining is one of the worst kubrick films, but then, kubrick's films arent bad at all, so i guess its just above average

I love Kubrick's works, but I was so frustrated watching this film. Probably because I've watched it after reading the book and it was so fucking much better. I mean Kubrick killed all the characters for me in the movie and it was really hard to pay attention to its cinematographic values when the characters are being framed as a stupid kid, an idiot wife and a maniac father. You'd better read the book instead. It's also scarier.

it's really not scarier at all, the book has a conventional cookie-cutter narrative while the film makes the Overlook the real character, not the family. Kubrick removes the soul of his characters, it's all about atmosphere. It's why there's never been a movie quite like this one, all the characters seem vaguely off, and there's a reason for it.

In the book the Overlook IS a character and in the movie it isn't.

I'm not some pretentious movie geek but I really didn't see the greatness in the movie. Nicholson was great, the environment was great, but everything else was just there.

And 'disturbing'? What exactly is disturbing in the film? The most disturbing thing was the (intentional, and yes, I understand) large amount of time it took for the characters to get from point A to B and speak to each other in close proximity.

>in the movie it isnt
lol
youtube.com/watch?v=0sUIxXCCFWw

the film is so incredibly deep that I would argue no film has achieved the complexity of The Shining.
I talked to a guy who wanted to go on and on about how 2001 was an awful movie and it was difficult to really reason with him or convince him otherwise.
With movies sometimes you either get it or you don't.

you don't know shit bro

it's pretty exhausting to having to explain yourself, and even if you do they won't enjoy the movie either way and sometimes even call you names
honestly you're better off just not trying to convince anybody

>the film is so incredibly deep

The film is nothing more than a bastardization of a book that tells a better version of the story. Kubrick is a hack. He couldn't even get the Charles/Delbert Grady name right.

@@72785343
Good post, friend

babadook is better

good b8

The book is shit mate, just typical Stephen King drivel. I read it right before watching the movie as well, and the movie is so much better.

I had some friend who watched Blade Runner after I mentioned it and all he could say was "it was meh".
I tried to explain the film and ask him what version he saw but there was no convincing him that it wasn't "meh".

>The book is shit mate, just typical Stephen King drivel.

Opinion disregarded.

He's right though
the book was not very good at all

That would be Jack Torrance.

The protagonist of The Shining.

How about this?