Is there somebody here who knows sheet music?

Is there somebody here who knows sheet music?

If I wanted to lower the notes on this music sheet, substitute deeper notes on the staff, what are some rules that I can follow to accurately change it while mostly leaving the song intact?

I don't think that simply moving all of the notes down one notch or two is the way to do it.

Reasoning why. I play the ocarina and the ocarina sounds better, and is easier to play, in the lower notes. High notes whistle and shriek too loud, so if I can help it I want to convert this song to use the lower notes more.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F7CHpZF6jl4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Technically it should sound fine if you just lower the entire thing, as long as you take into account your flats

Transposition: it's .. pretty intuitive. If you're playing a single line, just take the melody and move it down to the range you want, keeping all the intervals the same for each note you transpose.. it's literally as easy as you didn't think it is.

transpose that shit user. if you can, feed the shit music into a midi converting program, drop it down as many steps as you like, and reprint or save as sheet music.

What range of notes do you want it in?

There's a technique called transposing, which you basically just change the key and shift each note relative to the tonic shift.

Look up transposing music, to better explain because I don't want to type it all out, but I'm pretty sure this is what you want.

Thanks guys, I'll look into transposing.

The lowest note I can play, holding down all of the holes is a "C." I don't know if it's referred to as a C# or flat or what. I can read sheet music enough to know what the notes are on a staff, but largely I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to music reading. I wrote this simple python script for telling me exactly which holes I need to hold as I don't have the notes of the ocarina memorized.

easiest solution is to pick up a man's instrument instead of pretending to be a little magic fairy.

I'm working my way up. This $30 ocarina is a step up over the $3 recorder that I got started on. Eventually I want to buy a really nice flute.

get a guitar, user. transposing is as easy as moving your fingers and inch or so.... most of the time. the man-axe is so versatile that you can fake your way through most music

what kind of note is this? How do I play two notes at the same time?

me, I added this to my script for transposing.

I don't know how to interpret that "two notes at the same spot" thing.

....You had to write a python script to tell you what holes to cover in order to play your ocarina? You know they have fingering charts, right?

It's called double-stop. You usually require an instrument with strings. Alternatively, if you play a recorder, flute, whistle, pipe, ocarina or other similar instrument, you can sing into the instrument while blowing to produce two notes at once.

you can't if you're on a wind instrument. unless it's one of those little keyboard things with a blowjob hose attached to them. maybe if you play one note after another repeatedly... like, fast because that's an eight note chord. it should only last a little bit, depending on the tempo.

you could probably find a used keyboard on Craigslist for free. Even if it doesn't work, it is very helpful in visualizing notes and figuring out how to read music and play any instrument.

That's called a melodica. They're relatively cheap. Can probably get one for around the price you paid for the ocarina.

Just choose one of them One should be more important than the other.

Give me a minute and I'll transpose it for you

here's the song that I'm wanting to play. I really like this tune
youtube.com/watch?v=F7CHpZF6jl4

That's the conclusion that I've come to. I really don't see the need to play two notes at once, I think I can find a good single note for that.

Different user to OP, but on the subject of sheet music can someone tell me what the dotted lines mean? Like how am I supposed to play this? Does it mean I play the B flat with my left hand, then play the A with my left hand (even though it's in the treble clef)???

Just to clarify, the key signature is D minor, hence why I say B flat

Well, it's written like that because whoever put it together was writing it as a piano reduction. I mean, you are supposed to be playing the stuff on the bottom staff at the same time too, but I'm sure you're not worried about that.

I'm disregarding the bottom staff. Just the main jingle (the top one) is what I'm after.

It's to say you play it with the same hand as the connected note previous. They wrote it in the right-hand staff to make it easier to read, but would otherwise be more difficult to play if it were played as written, so they took the liberty of allowing you to play it with your left hand so ce it is lower than the note preceding it. Voice crossing is hard to write out on piano and vocal scores.

Oh I see, I think. So basically they wrote it that way instead of having the A played by the left hand because it'd be difficult to stretch to play the F-C-A chord with one hand?

Bb to F is M3 or Major third. It is an interval, not a chord.

It's because that is the melody. It looks like you would use pedal on this anyway, so you can play it with either hand, but you are supposed to play it with the left hand.

It's just indicating this is the melody, so don't break it up like it's two separate lines. It's more about phrasing than your fingering.

just change the octave of the whole thing.. down or up, it will sound good and different.

I don't know what that means. Please excuse my ignorance.

Even added note names since you're such a noob

Oh wow. Thank you so much!

No you have it backwards. You should play the Bb and the A with the left hand, since you will be holding an octave interval in the right hand.

also, how do you propose I play the "major third" double note things on the ocarina?

Bb to D is a M3; or Major Third interval.

I'm new to this thread, but the answer you need is "play the top one" as a general rule but follow your heart if you feel it should be the bottom one. Be flexible about it.

A chord is there or more notes. An interval is the distance between two notes. 3 is the distance and the M is a quality of the interval. M for major little m for minor.

Well, the bottom could be the melody and the top could just be the flourish

If your high notes sound bad, either you need to work on air control or it's the quality of the instrument. I have three professional quality ocarinas, and I would say stay away from Songbird. They have interesting shapes, but bad tone quality. The only good models they sell are imported from a Japanese company who they give no credit.

You dont. Unless you want to try your hand at singing into the instrument.

I understand. Coincidentally, that's how I was interpreting that as I've been recording them into my fingering guide script.

Ah, I see. Thanks. The beauty of knowing the song beforehand means that I don't have to acknowledge intervals and note speed. Since I know the song in my head, I intuitively know how fast it. This is why I can use crude fingering guides that have no speed indicators.

Good luck!

I recommend downloading musescore and start playing around with it. It might help you to understand sheet music. It can even import .midi files from gamemusicthemes and so on and play them back for you with the sheet music

Lol you're in a thread made by a newbie... He's not worried about time yet when he barely knows the notes

how fast to play it*

nice. that's the kind of software I've been looking for. im grabbing it right now

You could just drop the entire piece an octave.

That's why I said that you need to be flexible. If you are trying to perform that music you probably knew it already and if you have a minimum of talent for music you will be able to realize, while playing it, if you are choosing the right one or not.

what does this mean?

Why do work twice? There is a midi of this online with just bass and melody staves. I read it with Sibelius and just kept bumping the whole melody down until middle C was the lowest note in the system. You'll have enough to work with to alter any changes in rhythm you prefer.

It means that it is a natural. On a piano, it would be a white key. (F-natural if a treble clef staff or A-natural if a bass clef staff.)

Crap. I see a B below. (revising)

Jesus, just drop it down an octave.

Transpose the song to a lower key you dumb shit

it's just a plain F. regardless of the key the song is in. it's there to let you know not to play an f sharp, or an E because that's what the song key tells you.

OK. I put it into the key of C and transposed it up a half-step, making middle C the lowest note.

You're welcome, OP, but I think you said that you were going to play it on an ocarina. I don't think that is a chromatic instrument.

can you get ocarinas in different keys, like harmonicas?