Whatre your lyrical excersizes, Sup Forums? If you draw your inspiration off of writing prompts, is that cheating...

Whatre your lyrical excersizes, Sup Forums? If you draw your inspiration off of writing prompts, is that cheating? What are some lyrical themes to just flat out avoid?

you write very bad lyrics
read more

Thanks Mr/Mrs lyrical genius

it doesn't take a genius to know you stink

well you rhymed "it" with "it" twice and "got everything to loose" makes no sense (is it "too loose" or "to lose"?)
what is your concept for these lyrics?

you made this shit thread to show off your shit lyrics
you should be embarassed

i am really bad at lyrics

i'm not as bad as you OP but i'm definitely bordering on it.

Wow it's true,

Wishing I could be as witty as you,

Nice comeback,

I'm unimpressed,

On top of that, you're rude

I'm not the only person that uses the same words tied together but i definetly see your point. My concept for this song is about how I keep ignoring my inner voice to stop my self destructing habits but instead I keep indulging in them which has gotten me to the point where I've made peace with being a huge fuck up, which leads to me being too defeated to even try anymore

My egos not that fragile, if I couldn't take critisism, I wouldn't have started a thread buddy. I'm just trying to get some ideas for excersizes

Congrats

drafts just write more often read more and do drafts and also dont feel married to your first idea. maybe thats one of your self destructive habits. try thinking about images. try to make lines have as many different meanings as you can think of. think more. generally

I'm trying to branch out of the "straight shooter" lyrics , meaning that I just come out and say it instead of using figurative language as a way to tell the story, but yeah it is a rough draft and yeah I need to stop being a lazy cunt and read more

Here's some random lyrics from my journal

Do I got a shot mu

who are you you little bitch stop being a shittier version of me to make me feel bad its 4 am i'm too tired for this shit

watch me exercise total disregard for your feelings with this post because you don't exist you're a lie and it's all about me you wrote that to vibe me on that paper and your handwriting is shit

Not bad but I feel like the funeral being another day thing is a little bit much

here's the follow up couplet for the funeral bit

Why don't you go write a song about it

wow that was a terrible limerick
it makes you look like a dipstick
your rhyme scheme's a mess
your flow is not the best
RhymeZone is away by a mouse click

Well it's coming off as something from an Evanescence album or another edgy teenage-core thing. Consider taking a good look at your lyrics and think "wait does this really make sense?" You refer to "it" a lot but never really say what "it" is. If you're deferring clarity until the end for dramatic effect, you're not quite doing a good job at it. Right now it's just generically unclear, like a high schooler circling around a point in an essay because he doesn't know what to say for 500 words. What hour are you talking about? What are you regretting? What happened when you lit your fuse? Is it an anger fuse or a different type? I had no idea that your concept was about trying to stop self-destructing habits because there's pretty much nothing in your lyrics that would allow that interpretation.

And I still look obese , 10 pounds under weight?

okay i care now everythings chill, you're fine just mature.

I'm gonna keep posting pages just to spite you

Yeah man I lost 130 pounds and ive still got a gut even though im underweight. Feels bad

hey man i like you now everythings cool. keep fighting the fight inside

I see your point about not being clear on the message I'm trying to get across, and yes I do need to touch up on that aspect but also, it could also be left unclear so that way the listeners could apply their own feelings to what I'm singing about so that way a certain group doesn't feel alienated.
An interview asked Marilyn Manson about what his art meant and his response was "whatever you want it to be", and I really admired that

I'm sorry to hear that you feel bad about it, I asked because I was a little confused that's all.

Yeah you should read up on reader response criticism, it's great stuff and allows for a ton of freedom on the reader's part. However, there are some limitations. Yes ambiguity is ultimately the heart and soul of literature, but there is a fine line between "ambiguity because I am a skilled author/poet and I am deliberately making things unclear because I understand reader psychology and are attempting to inflict a wide variety of atmospheres and emotions onto the reader or are attempting to guide the reader through my work in a strategic way for dramatic effect" and "ambiguity because I don't know how I want to fully realize my work so the reader is left with a confused mess of ideas that they're not quite sure what to do with"

I'll definetely read up on that more, and I get what you're saying about the two different types of "leaving the message open" approaches in songs, and I'm not trying to put myself on a high horse, but I was going for the indirect message approach all along but at the same time I know that I have too many gaps that are left too wide open. I'm trying to dedicate myself to my music more and the lyrics I posted are some of the few that I've written down in a long time so I know they need work

you're alright user, keep doing what you love

Hey too user thanks for the advice

You too*

My ego is shattered
It leaks through my bladder
Intestines infested with lies from your platter
Hopscotch on a ladder
Cause mind over matter
And it matters not if these thoughts crack and splatter
And id rather live than make more mouths to feed and minds to oppress with consumerist greed
The news comes on at seven
Theres no people up in heaven
But these guys hate fags so you better let them in
The best things in life are free
When you shove them in your pants and flee
Forget your grades and company
Just come with me

>is that cheating?
art is cheating
only the result matters