Why is the dystopian setting so popular?

Why is the dystopian setting so popular?

We like cautionary tales.

because it's inevitable

For the same reason disaster movies used to be popular. We like seeing shit getting fucked up.

It isn't popular though.

Capeshit, that is popular.

Gotta ease the goyim into their inevitable future.

you...i like you

because i can imagine everyone that i hate is dead

Because it's a popular neckbeard fetish. What gets wasted are mostly the cities and the niceties that led to their construction, legitimizing their inbred, violent, autistic loner demeanor as a means of physical rather than just psychological self-defence. It's them imagining they'll find themselves useful in a man's man world without realizing they'd still be too beta to do it.

To prepare people for the day of the rope

>the road
>dystopia

I don't think that means what you think it means

Because a good story has a complicating action and, in my opinion, should be believable. A utopia makes for a bad film setting because the nature of a utopia makes it almost impossible to think of a genuine dilemma or complicating action, whilst maintaining that believably. The word Utopia comes from the greek "ou topos" meaning "Not place". Utopias by definition can never exist so by setting a movie in a utopia, you already have removed any aspect of believably from the story you are trying to tell.

Dystopias are very good settings for stories because there can be a wide range of complicating actions that can occur in a believable setting. This is because humanity is a lot more familiar with dystopias (Famines/Epedemics/Extinction Level Events/War/Civil Unrest/WMDs etc) than they are with utopias, mainly because dystopias do exist and have existed. For example the 4 year long Siege of Sarajevo in the 90's, or the Fall of Rome, or the Eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD etc could be conceived as a dystopia, and even today there is still a lingering threat of potential dystopias such as
>Yellowstone erruption
>Nuclear war
>World War 3
>Extreme climate change
>Oil dependency and oil reserve depletion
etc

A lot of people watch TV because of escapism. Escaping from society. What better form of escapism than watching a show where there is no society?

>A utopia makes for a bad film setting because the nature of a utopia makes it almost impossible to think of a genuine dilemma

Yeah this is the actual reason

please push your trash opinion back into the same ass you pulled it from

it reflects real life

it's fun

literally any story with a "utopic" setting is by definition dystopian.

this might go over your head, but chew on it for a little bit you fucking edgelords

Easiest fantasy setting. You just get the world, mess it up, add magic or zombies or whatever fotm shit you think of, and done.

If done right though it can be pretty comfy, like how The Road (film) is. There's something awesome about seeing a bleak landscape with a fitting soundtrack. If done right using minimal cgi the film will be good just to look at.

Top post user, ignore the other faggot

I'd add on that pretty much everyone has some Transcendentalist / Whitman-esque fantasy of "making it" in some rough setting, and dystopias offer an interesting way to bring the concept of surviving in the wilderness into cities and towns.

>All these gay ass opinions

Just start recommending some films pls

I think it's because people are bored of the status quo, so it's fun to imagine a life where the criteria of success are entirely different.

Namely money and financial success are removed from the equation.

Lost is a good example of a fantasy dystopia where an individual's worth is fetishized.

>Jericho was killed after a season and half
>The Plebian Dead still on air.

This is trully dystopic

(you)

I knew you'd say that

Exactly

I wouldn't be surprised if its a similar reason to why the spaghetti western genre was so popular, same reason kids play cowboys and Indians. A setting without law and order gives the view the opportunity to live the lives of the heroes (or criminals) we've all wanted to be.

Because of Mad Max 2.

The first and second (and Fury Road?) Mad Max
28 Days Later
A boy and his dog
Planet of the Apes
Shaun of the dead
Blade Runner
A Clockwork Orange
Nineteen Eighty Four
Total Recall
Hobo with a Shotgun
Battle Royale
Metropolis

Because they brighten the mood compared to real life without being unrealistically over the top.

I enjoy apocalyptic movies that don't fuck up the world, just humanity. Mostly diseases and stuff. I like the contrast of all that human suffering with the pristine and thriving nature in the background. It's why i'm hoping Ridley Scott actually goes through with his plan to adapt The Passage trilogy.

That entire series destroyed me. It's filled to the brim with feels and the last few chapters of the last book left me feeling like shit for like two weeks.

Because people liked "false Utopian" stories when we were all struggling to survive.

Now there is no reason to survive so we all want to see the world burn.

I'm not sure dystopia is quite the word you're looking for, but I think looking at the popularity of zombie movies/shows give you a good idea. It's fun to think about what your plan would be if shit went down. Modern living is pretty mundane, if shit started going down, we might be thrown in the thick of it and not survive, like it probably wouldn't be fun, but it's fun to think about considering the banality of our lives.

Like, I'm not a Sup Forumstard, but over the past month or so where seemingly every other day some terrorist attack, mass murder or major political upheaval was taking place, I found myself gravitating there. On Sup Forums they were almost celebrating the amount of shit going on, praying for more "happenings" because at least that way life is more interesting.

We all know it's coming

wrong pepe posting m8o

Escapism because we don't have many problems in life