Does weaning off alcohol actually work? I'm drinking a half pint tonight...

Does weaning off alcohol actually work? I'm drinking a half pint tonight, I'm hoping I won't have any major problems from here. If I do then what? Do I buy there little bottle shots? I'm thinking if it's still bad, buy like three and a pack of cigarettes. Then go to two then one. But even after that, how long do I wait before drinking again? I don't want to stop altogether but obviously I overdid it since I'm having withdrawals

Just cold turkey it. I went from a liter and a half a day to nothing.

It's going to hurt, you're going to sweat, and it's going to be awful, but you can do it. Buy up a few days worth of groceries, candies, and just plow through it. It gets better, man.

That was the plan at first but it was just unbearable. In a way it's a good thing I'm not employed right now but I need a job really badly. There was no way I was gonna be able to get one in that condition. At least now I can walk into a joint and apply. I'm still getting really bad stomach aches tho. Did you stop altogether or do you still drink?

been there, done that. Fall back into it all the time. I can drink like a liter in a six hour span and be just fine the next day, but if I don't drink the next night I want to fucking shoot myself. I've found that eating a shit ton of food and trying to actually be healthy ( go be active) usually, starts to cut out the withdrawals pretty well, but the again, so does taking a couple more shots. It's a pain in the ass.

I quit entirely, I love booze entirely too much to touch it. You can get through it, man. Plenty of vitamin C and water, and something to distract yourself with. There's an adult swim stream playing every ep of rick and morty over and over, that's good white noise.

this dudes a faggot

you can die from detoxing too quickly do it right

Recovering Alcoholic here.
On the Alcoholics Anonymous website there is a quiz you can take to determine if you have a problem.
I suggest you take the quiz.

How long have you been drinking? Sounds like you drink everyday? I've been drinking since I was 17, but only daily for like the past 5 months. Last week it just became too much. And after I got fired that's when it really hit me I need to stop doing that shit.

That sucks to hear. I am definitely not going to quit completely, not because I love it but I want to drink if/when there's an opportunity to do so, or if I'm having a shit day. I know I can do it, it's just a pain in the ass. More so than anything I'm mad I let myself get this hooked

depends on how long and steadily you been at it, as well as your general level of health aside from the alcohol in your system. Chances are OP is some fag not hitting the bottle as hard as he could so he just needs to shoulder through the hallucinations and get it over with, it could take anywhere from 3-7 days

I don't need a quiz, I've known for awhile now I have a drinking problem. I just refused to do anything about it until now

Been drinking at least 3 days out of the week for like two years now.
If I get too fucked up and say or do something stupid or just turn into a general mess I try to take a day or two off, but I always end up drinking again because I fucking like it. Cycle repeats and I go from there. Right now I've been going through a 1.75 basically every two days (always have a backup for the second day) Just took that AA quiz and apparently I have "Serious alcohol consumption issues and should seek professional help immediately."

It's inevitable that it will get worse, if I were you I'd consider stopping or at least figuring out why you're drinking so much. 1.75 in two days is a lot dude.

Is your name Ray?

This guy.

Not saying stop, saying slow down and question the nature of it.

ah, the drunk's e-meter. collecting more for the cult.

No

In the back of my head, I totally know. I work full time and go to school park time so I justify "not having a problem" by "having my life together" I'm sure something will break and I'll realize I need to make some changes at some point, butttt... yanno

There are no dues or fees in AA.

Were you a Scientologist?

I spent a lot of time as a 'functional alcoholic' and i seen tons of people continue that for their whole lives, here's to hoping you're grouped up with the latter. You're right to be concerned about something breaking, just keep an open mind to the idea of not drinking, if only for a few weeks in a row here or there, resisting the idea will just make it harder to stop later

How do you physically drink so much?

Whenever I go out and get wasted I feel like fucking trash then next day. It's bad enough that I usually only drink like that maybe 2-3 times a year max.

Even just getting real drunk but not wasted, I get fucking tired and lethargic, and the next day I'm not hungover but I feel just fuckin tired and shit.

How do you "function"?

When you start drinking regularly or even semi regularly, your body starts getting use to it. Personally I drink a lot of water during the daytime so I almost never get hungover anymore. I would have to stop completely for a month or more and even then I'd probably be fine the next day, maybe a little tired

What this guy said. I've been doing this for a while. I can honestly take anywhere from 6-10 shots and a couple drinks before I mentally notice any sort of "intoxicating effects". My body definitely notices, however. My balance starts to get a little off around 5 shots. Hell, even right now I'm about half a liter deep.