/daily/ - Christopher Lee edition

I SHED THE BLOOD OF FOUR THOUSAND SAXON MEN

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>/listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/FCTtwuS.png
janelleppin.bandcamp.com/album/american-god
i.imgur.com/vJ0KaC9.jpg
i.imgur.com/OihRCeK.jpg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Spain fucking blows

Bump

it does
where you at

fuck spain

Burgos. More specifically in this shithole.

Come say hi

el

omw

See you in a bit!

It's about two and a half hours by bus, how long are you staying in Spain?

I'll be in here for 2 weeks, still not sure where I'm going for the weekend. Where you at mah dude?

It's actually a good album, not just a meme. Thanks for spreading the word.

Madrid, somewhat in the South. I work till afternoon so if I go to Burgos it's gotta be on a weekend I don't work.

Well my plan was to go to Madrid on the weekend anyway, so we'll see how that works out :)

Got #wageslaving to do tomorrow, good night /daily/!

And remember! Haino won't just shill himself!

o if you're coming lemme know and I'll try to show you around
there's not much to do in castilla anyways unless you want to see old castles
i think your other option is the basque country which is a little closer probably, also pretty from what I've heard but I haven't been yet

gnight doggy, enjoy wage slavery

Cool beans, I'll let you know!

Ah going back to Sweden in two days, it feels unbelievable that I've spent a whole year in the shithole that Santa Fe, NM is.

Excited about 12 hours or new music on the plane. Recc me some stuff that is seminal airplane music.

Where in Sweden do you live?

James Ferraro - Far Side Virtual :--)

Lund!

Tell me if you come up to the capital anytime!

Yah, definitely, do you ever travel down or to Copenhagen even?

>ywn have the stomach for neoclassical power metal
feels nu male man

Last time was probably for Neutral Milk Hotel 2014 or whenever it was, but I definitely want to go down there again soon

You should come down for some concert. I'd meet up with you!

I'll tell you if something comes up!

R8 me

wew/10

wrong thread gaiboi

looks like a cross of "i joined Sup Forums a month ago" and "i joined /daily/ a week ago"

also buyer's market? are you some rapist/child molester or smth, i get the "importance" of it but it simply isn't an enjoyable thing to sit through unless youre sadistic or can relate to it.

4/10

You are basically just a Sup Forums-drone but you seem kind of new so I forgive you a bit

Though seriously...... no dark ambient, noise, no edgy music whatever, and then Buyer's Market? It's like you went to youtube and searched "darkest album ever" just so you could add it to your chart

I think you could have potential but stop trying so much

ten outta ten you have itaots thats all you need

stuff everyone seems to have strong opinions on but me cept for a few albums that i love and a meme also did you put children on there after the guy died last week pls tell me no it's a nice tune tho/10

Heard this one?

spain is shitty. except for the weed thing.

forgot about listenialong
wish i hadnt remembered

I prefer this one

>letov vs shamepai
letov brought a buncha ukrainian folk which was v cool neat aesthetic but it's quite long for something that is fairly one-note, shamepai sent albert ayler my way and this thing's better than spiritual unity and the other ayler album i've heard but idr which one that was, anyway good free jazz v solid nice piano nice drums ayler's a good boy as always. shamepai advances gimme rec + meme faglord.

i think about this image every 15th of may and it makes me cry every year

Death - Human
>Death Metal

This fucking rips but man I’m still not big on this sound. I’m still relatively new to metal and diving into heavier stuff may have been a mistake. But - I actually loved Symbolic so I’m not sure what was missing here.

The heaviness is apparent from the start, vocally and instrumentally - the playing just comes off as clunky to me. The drumming is off the charts and the guitar just is some of the fastest shit I've heard but it ends up sounding like a mass of noise. It’s jumpy and the switches between speedy and technical passages feel awkward. The second half of the record calms down in comparison which I liked more but this didn’t stick like Symbolic. Not sure what it is though, I’ll have to go back and compare.

I appreciate what it’s going for though.

3/5

Burzum - Filosofem
>Atmospheric Black Metal

On the other hand, I really dig this one. I’m a sucker for the more atmospheric branches of metal - probably because of how new I am to the scene. The crunchy guitar is wonderful and add kind of stinging feeling to the whole album. The scratchy vocals on side 1 compliment the sound well, blending in nicely with the guitar. It never quite feels over the top though. There’s something strangely comforting about the whole album, despite the aggressive elements thrown in the mix. Little riffs kind of bounce around in the background of songs (like on “Dunkelheit”), which add a calming vibe to the whole thing.

The best track is the 25 minute ambient piece - “Rundgang” which floats around slowly and peacefully. It sounds a lot like a Steve Roach song, with spacey electronics and repetitive loops. It has a strangely similar atmosphere as the rest of the album but the shift in genre is a nice touch. It’s probably about 5 minutes longer than it deserves to be but it’s soothing and almost meditative.

Surprisingly entertained by this one but it’s probably because I’m a total metal pleb idk.

>person who beat me in tourney loses
best petty feel

don't post that

I'd say Symbolic is a better album than Human, but that just might be me.
If you liked Filosofem you might like Hvis lyset tar oss, or some of his "dungeon synth" albums
Paysage d'Hiver (band) also has a nice mix of synth and black metal albums

You're banned from Cossack heaven now.

That is a cursed image DO NOT post

My friend and I started a bet where we individually listen to 4 new albums every week. I don't know how he's looking for new music, but I'm probably going to start coming here.

Sounds great. What do you like? Got any chart or anything?

Good to know I'm not in the minority on that one. I've heard people disagree about the best era of Death but so far I think I lean toward the later stuff. Also thanks for the recs man, I'll check em out when I'm feeling like exploring some more metal

Do it! Curious to see what you'd dive into. Have a RYM you wanna share?

givingbear started a bet where anyone who wanted to would individually listen to one an album every day, and look how that turned out

I don't have any chart or anything like that. And I don't really have any specific tastes. I already like a lot of different genres. I'm using the first few weeks mainly to catch up on stuff I feel I missed.
H-How did it turn out?

you're posting on it

I'd love to hear what you have to say about the albums you listen to so write about them here when you've listened to something new.

i.imgur.com/FCTtwuS.png

Jim Sullivan - U.F.O. (1969)
>baroque pop, singer/songwriter

Sullivan’s story might be more interesting than his actual music, half because I love unsolved mysteries, half because private press releases are always cool, but this is a rock solid album, without a doubt. Sullivan’s vocals are homely, yet down-to-earth, inviting, and really smooth. Above all, they mesh with the instrumentals perfectly. These instrumentals are very distinctly ‘60s, mixing Byrdsian jangley folk and ultra-bombastic Watertown-era Sinatra well. Sometimes too loungey, with some poor characteristics often present in private press releases, but altogether quite good.

3.0-

There's this wonderful 2017 [actually my AOTY] Cello-focused album I've fallen in love with. She's currently fairly unknown but I'm sure this album can be well-known with the right exposure. Highlights [for me] are Where the Heart Grows, Ophiuchus and Pleasure Highway. There's a lot of creativity, passion and talent here that deserves attention.

Thank you Orion.

janelleppin.bandcamp.com/album/american-god

thanks janelle ill check it out

ill listen to your album soon, janelle

this is pretty boring janelle

I expected Waltz for Debby to be just as good if not better than Sunday at the Village Vanguard, but it was less engaging than most of what I've heard from the Trio. Wonderful cover art though.

Black Woman was pretty brilliant throughout, especially tracks 1, 2, and 5, but Linda Sharrock's vocals on the final track were too much for me to the point of being grating. Good thing the musicianship more than makes up for it.

The Jazz Composer's Orchestra is not the type of free jazz I usually like at all, but the individual solos were great. Unfortunately the wailing horns in the background during said solos added nothing and the overall composition was too unfocused and wild, even for free jazz. Side C was by far my favorite.

WHAT NEXT?????????????????????/

Well this past week I listened to both of Death Grips' instrumental releases as that was all that was left to finish their doscography.
Then I listened to To Pimp A Butterfly because I had largely ignored rap passed 2004 (besides Death Grips and whoever Gorillaz decided to feature).
Was actually pretty impressed.
Then I had Gojira's first album, Terra Incognita. I started with their latest release, Magma, and loved it. Now, I'm going to work through their discography.

This week I think I'm going to listen to Miles Davis, likely more Gojira, and Jambinai (I heard one track from them last week and immediately fell in love with their sound). Not sure what else. There is a lot of stuff I have in mind to check out but still deciding where to start.

compulsion!!!!!!!!

Gojira's pretty sweet. I haven't heard all their stuff but you have yet to hear their supposed best two, both of which I've heard and are pretty good.
I still need to listen to more Miles Davis too. I'll put a bunch of his albums on my next jazz chart.

will do

finished

woolite you were way too fucking close on your predictions

i.imgur.com/vJ0KaC9.jpg

Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star (1998)
>east coast hip hop, conscious hip hop, boom bap

A meeting of two of the most conscious voices in hip hop is a damn good idea, and Def and Kweli deliver. Kweli is arguably the dominant force here, but the album’s greatest moments come when him and Def trade bars with ease. They both have distinct personalities and voices, but they’re best when they work together. I feel a bit more mixed about the production. It’s solid, of course, and there are some damn fine, hard-hitting boom bap beats on here, but they try for an old-school sound here that doesn’t entirely work. I’m not sure if it’s my general distaste for old-school production or a bit of a mixed effort on Hi-Tek’s part, but some beats just don’t work. The good does 100% outweigh the bad, so I’m digging this. Might even like it more than Black on Both Sides.

3.0-

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (2001)
>abstract hip hop, east coast hip hop, experimental hip hop, conscious hip hop

Really good, that’s no lie, but I’m not as huge on this as I thought I would be. El-P is a fantastic producer, and his production here is great, but his talents are better suited to the hard-hitting nature of Funcrusher Plus, or hell, even the Run the Jewels albums. The first half contains some absolutely phenomenal production, the beats are cold, alien, and absolutely banging, but the second half tends to drag when El-P goes for a more meditative, soundscapey vibe. The MCs are consistently great, but there’s an obvious decline in the second half that makes the whole album feel really uneven and overlong.

I'll check Black Star out, but what would you reccomend as far as Mos Def?

woo!!

I've only heard black on both sides lol so I guess check that out, it's v good.

some weird shit on here
listen to The Who Sells Out

Sell Out*

That Argerich recital has a really good performance of Liszt's sonata, good stuff.

will do

nice, I'm really looking forward to that one.

bump

montero's pretty great.

whomst ready for durnkposting: trip up edition v1

Yeah I knew you'd like the abstract album the most lol. And Kanye doesn't seem to be 100% your style.

>Funkadelic
>Smile
>Lets Stay Together
>154
>Stand!

What a chart

>Graham Lambkin - Salmon Run
Not as conceptually or audibly rich as Community, but it makes up for it in its sheer ability to build an atmosphere of dread. Very effective album.

>DJ Screw - All Screwed Up, Vol. II
My first Screw adventure. This seems like something I'd love in the proper mood. For now, it's a very solid record of mixing styles i can hear all over in modern production. That Art of Noise sample was orgasmic.

>Won James Won - scrempium bfhnrendifum hum hum
Fairly directionless, still decently enjoyable.

>B L A C K I E - REMAINS
he's returning to a more hip-hop based sound on the new record, implementing a lot of pianos into his sound as well. it's got as much power as his music's ever had.

>Luxury Elite - TV Party
Standard vapor fair. I enjoyed the atmosphere of it though. Very melancholy, despite the bright samples.

>Dead Kennedies - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Lyrically too blunt for my taste, and it can get instrumentally kinda boring, but it's a solid mindless fun record.

>Erasmo Carlos - Carlos, Erasmo...
MPB is my fetish.

>Takayanagi Masayuki New Direction for the Art - Complete "La Grima"
" As briefly summarized in the album notes the band was jeered, criticized, and had various items thrown at them while playing, and chants of "go home" erupted after they finished."
Metal as hell.

>The Caretaker - A Stairway to the Stars
Thematically not as strong as most other works from the project. It does offer a great variety unlike anything I've heard from the project. It's interesting to hear something like this at its absolute droniest.

>Prince of Denmark - 8
It takes a hell of a lot of confidence to make a beat, loop it for sometimes over ten minutes, add in maybe one or two layers on top of the original beat, and then call it a track. Every component of that loop has to be perfect on every front, or else you're left with 3 hours of nothing.
Thankfully, this album knows what it is.

we now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

that prince of denmark score is almost TOO corredt

>intermission chart
revolutionary

me

when the FUCK are yiou gonna listne to 8

>Make an album called 8
>It's a 9/10 album

What a hack.

it's stupidly good.
take note.

tomorrow if I get a chance
just 4u

like how hte fuck is it so fucking exact its so exact

actually, ready to die was my favorite! didn't expect that...

and I really dig MBDTF, but I'm not a huge fan of anything else.

"effective" is a great way to describe salmon run

excited to look more into the guy. seems like my kinda gig.

its like 18 years long tho i hope yoou have the time

i.imgur.com/OihRCeK.jpg

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock (1977)
>hard rock

Perhaps my most obvious 0.5 of all time. I’ve got to admit, I really don’t hate the title track. The last minute or so actually really rocks, but that’s about the only decent minute on this whole album. The guitar parts (and especially the solos) are weak as hell, the songs all go on for /way/ too long, Scott’s still a terrible vocalist, even if Johnson amplified his awfulness tenfold, this is just not a good album.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006)
>soul, rhythm & blues

The title track isn’t just a masterpiece of modern day soul music, it’s one of the finest soul/pop songs ever recorded. Winehouse could’ve easily fit in with the best soul singers of the ‘50s and ‘60s, and its her vocal performance that anchors the whole record. Every other aspect of the album is a lot more spotty, to be kind. None of the other songs, save for the sultry “Rehab”, do much to leave a mark, and the poppiness of the album often leads to sterility. Winehouse herself is super talented, so it’s a shame that everything else around her here can’t match her talent.

2.0+

The Who - The Who Sell Out (1967)
>freakbeat, pop rock, mod

The concept here is overdone to hell and back, and it’s completely worthless. A few ad spoofs here and there is nice, but every single track has to shove in a hamfisted spoof with no regard to the flow of the album or the flow of the track. Everything underneath these spoofs is pretty damn great, “Armenia City in the Sky” and the classic “I Can See for Miles”, especially. This is by far the Who’s best utilization of the psychedelic aesthetic, and it’s a shame that they never expanded upon this sound and that they don’t let the sound shine more on this record.

2.5+

kinda shocked you weren't already a fan desu

Hey guys, do you like my dog?

there ya go, let me know if you want my thoughts on any of these (you dont)

oh wow

The first song on Bat Outta Hell will blow your cock and balls off and you will be /daily/'s 2nd girl poster.

Other than that it's just okay.

Really surprised you haven't heard Adz yet, I think you'll like a lot of it.

would pet

>2nd
Which of the two current female posters is actually female (male)?

he was always there in the back of my mind, just never fully took the plunge until now.
yes

yamir (she's cute!)

implying I'm not already

Chores for June, resized

Just listened to Jambinai - A Hermitage
Korean post rock
Gotta say, that was fucking awesome.
I know I saw them posted on Sup Forums (and it might have been this thread), but wherever and whoever it was, thank you, I love it.

third

Crying Sam Collins - Jail House Blues
>Country Blues

This is a short listen, which works in its favor. Sam has a very nice voice and his guitar playing isn't half bad either (though it is occasionally out of tune), though the actual songwriting here leaves something to be desired at parts. I'm not really the biggest blues expert here if you hadn't noticed, that's nkc's and triangle's territory.

Paul Clayton - Whaling and Sailing Songs from the Days of Moby Dick
>Sea Shanties

I like sea shanties, but this isn't really a good way to do them. It's traditional shanties set to mindless contemporary folk acoustic guitar strumming (which is so poorly mixed that you can't hear it most of the time); Clayton has a very nice voice, but that's not really enough to save it. Most good takes on shanties generally use an ensemble (there's a lot of call and response and singing along that makes the songs fun) and accordions, banjos, etc. - one voice and some underwhelming guitar playing makes it very forgettable. But perhaps I've been spoiled by listening to a decent amount of shanties live (I used to live near a relatively famous seaport) and I've personally heard solo artists do much better.

Almost done!