youtube.com/watch?v=CIB5ziSv-gE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplified_cactus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no
only talentless retards think otherwise

nope

It's a studio

Yes

Uh depends how you use it... like i dont see how a regular synth or keyboard etc is valid but a digital one is not!

Also golf is a sport!

yes
only pretentious retards think otherwise

if it doesn't have six strings it's not an instrument my dude

depends.

A musical instrument is an instrument created or adapted to make musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can be a musical instrument—it is through purpose that the object becomes a musical instrument.

Mayonnaise has really bad acoustics, though.

It's an aesthetic choice more than anything

Just record the sound of mayo swirling about then you can patch it to a keyboard to alter pitch, slow it down for a nice drone etc

It's a device with the ability to run software that can potentially create music

Are humans instruments?

using DAW's arent directly a instrument but with vsti's and sampled real life instruments they kinda are i guess

I mean since it uses samples and stuff you could argue that it doesn't "make" the music itself but keyboards and synthesisers are considered instruments and they're kinda similar in that sense.

it has the power to be any instrument you want OP

It's a toolset for demoing for professionals and aspiring to be professionals, an instrument for dilettantes.

/thread

Dude, anything that makes noise is an instrument.
And if you really want to get fucking deep into 2deep4u music, then fucking silence itself is a sound

youtube.com/watch?v=oC7t35Jv9uI

>that cats face

Where's the other hand John?

Silence is literally the absence of sound meaning that no, silence is not music. I'm not trying to be reductive to the greatness of Cage's work but what you're saying is a gross misreading of 4'33.

i dont know man, im quiet right now and i can hear birds signing and people walking around the kitchen

youtube.com/watch?v=CIB5ziSv-gE

cage literally made songs where you use plants as instruments

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplified_cactus

An amplified cactus is a cactus plant (preferably a Denmoza or Geohintonia[clarification needed]) used as a musical instrument. It harnesses the acoustic properties of a cactus, by applying contact microphones and amplifying their projection and tone.[1] Vivien Schweitzer of The New York Times reports "Jason Treuting played an amplified cactus, running his hand over the plant's unfriendly spikes to produce an alluring sound like a babbling brook."[2]

The amplified cactus is a medium rarely written for, even in the contemporary music genre. John Cage composed Child of Tree (1975) and Branches (1976) for what he described as "amplified plant materials". Cage was a large proponent of chance music and felt that the organic nature of music without man-made instruments was very strong and influential. Another of the most famous pieces for amplified cactus is called Degrees of Separation "Grandchild of Tree" by Paul Rudy which received mention at the Bourges International Competition for Electroacoustic Music in 2000.[3] Rudy mentions in his own program notes:[4]

The idea for a cactus and tape work came about when I heard a performance of John Cage's Child of Tree. I was immediately taken with the sound of the cactus in particular. Taken from its natural environment and placed in the confined and groomed existence of a pot, amplified with a contact microphone, the cactus took on a completely new and interesting character...

Yeah, precisely, but that's not what was argued in , where he (or you, idk) differentiated between things that make noise and actual silence. To acknowledge that sound permeates our every waking moment – even those we consider to be "silent" – is to understand the point Cage is trying to make. But that's not silence, for silence itself cannot be a sound (nor can we actually experience silence as it is defined). If you're quiet and hear birds singing it's not silence.

You can get some pretty melodic shit out of cactus needles, I used to do that as a kid.

Not really. Computers aren't built as instruments, neither are DAWs.

By that logic, every fucking thing on the planet is a musical instrument.
It doesn't have to be an instrument in order to be used in music production.

I'd say it's more like a mini studio that imitates instruments

Hey Sup Forums, is an horse an athlete?

It's a music instrument if you think pen and paper is a music instrument.

these desu

damn...

moreso than a jockey

iz mayonaise an instrument???

xPPPP

Yes. The vocals in a music piece are produced by a human organ called "vocal chords".

no, but it has the power tocbe an instrument

But you don't go around calling your vocal cords a musical instrument. Especially not when they're not being used in a musical context.

Yes.

If a digital synthesizer can be considered an instrument, which it can, then yes.

Are you fucking stupid? Of course song is an instrument, what the fuck nigga. It just sounds silly to say, so people don't call it an instrument.

a daw isnt an instrument but you can use an instrument within a daw.

>not when they're not being used in a musical context
well done, you've reached the crux of the matter.

ITT weak bait and people stating the obvious (yep it is)

Instruments of God

Its an apparatus to play musical instruments through

nothing in the rulebook that says a horse can't play basketball

Yes. Music in general has a really high physical barrier of entry. In order to play a traditional instrument like violin or trumpet takes years of study and practice. A lot of that time is spent on developing your musical sense, but it's mostly acquiring the physical abilities to play the instrument.

With the popularity of guitar and electric bass that barrier was lowered, because playing open chords and power chords is one of the easiest things to do on the instrument and is also what is required for most popular styles of music.

The computer has all but eliminated any physical barrier to music. Now as long as you know how to input your music you don't need to be able to do it in real time. There's no need to develop the physical skills you once needed to play music.

You can create set ups which reintroduce a physical aspect with keyboard and drum pads, but you don't have to any and it being optional is the key component.

No, but you can arrange music there.

It is a device that modifies real instruments' sound and let to explore new sounds.

idk is this room a musical instrument?

amazing truth in that jpg. there is no way they could have known this detail when making the art...

"There is a Buck
in the garden of eden"

Surely they did not know what how literal the words they used were

am thick/lazy, what does that mean?

No. Its only used by technicians to make noise. NOT an instrument.

This