/prod/

Dead edition.

What have you folks been working on? Here's the first thing I recorded in over a month: (Guitars + drum machine) vocaroo.com/i/s01Le3MoL41s

Share, critique, like, comment, subscribe, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/l2t02goo
clyp.it/d10tilwv
clyp.it/zddzgzlt
clyp.it/15ihtdow
clyp.it/upkcuz01
clyp.it/5akvgmy3
vocaroo.com/i/s1rkuTEXidk1
vocaroo.com/i/s1GxOxLo9Qwn
vocaroo.com/i/s0C9a6emwXSN
vocaroo.com/i/s01Le3MoL41s
clyp.it/3qpwzmji
clyp.it/rflnopla
clyp.it/mdaa1bhi
clyp.it/ujdszjk5
clyp.it/4a3hltcd
clyp.it/wiczacpv
clyp.it/jttf011x4
clyp.it/ia1r0ku4
clyp.it/4kv0lbvf
clyp.it/jttf011x
youtube.com/watch?v=W4C6msvK3o8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

random prog/tech/deep house shit ive been working on

clyp.it/l2t02goo

First time making music in a while, very very rough draft of an ambient song i'm working on
clyp.it/d10tilwv

WORST OP EVER WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Got fed up with making little riffs and tweaking songs endlessly so I forced myself to make a song from start to finish tonight:
clyp.it/zddzgzlt
Pretty happy with it but it's a bit basic

Somebody had to do it. And that person happened to be me.

Trying some among tobin type of stuff
clyp.it/15ihtdow
Any suggestion on how i could go on?
The sub may be a bit too strong so be warned if you're using headphones.

Note: the "drop" was just a test on the sound design, still trying to decide if i should keep that sound or change it up.

what's the best stock fl plugin to use to make your own synths? I can't seem to make shit with 3x osc and wasp xt, and sytrus is fucking weird

harmor or gsm

clyp.it/upkcuz01

low energy

what' you use to make that bassline?

i feel like i've heard this shitty song 100x and i disliked it every time

clyp.it/5akvgmy3

Synthwave sorta thing I'm working on, real far from finished

vocaroo.com/i/s1rkuTEXidk1

made this recently, I never really do music like this. Any tips on the production?

>clyp.it/zddzgzlt
i like it user well done

Spire and an Operator running a sine wave

lol fuck you!

Vocaroo somehow lowered the quality, but I'd like to ask about those glitches in theese parts of the trakc I'm working on. The main vocal, as well as the flute melody and the strings melody in the end all glitch and have weird quirks at some times. Any tips on how to get rid of that?
I've been trying to mess with EQ and reveb for the past 3 days in Fl studio but while in the daw it sounds alright, these ugly glisches appear every time I render it as 320kbps mp3

vocaroo.com/i/s1GxOxLo9Qwn

Here's an old loop I had on my desktop. Was pleasantly surprised. Enjoy.

Could hear it as music in a video game which isn't bad at all. I'd work on the flow of the song more, it sort of jumps around imo. I like it though. Nice job.

>vocaroo.com/i/s01Le3MoL41s

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEYEYEYEYYEYEAH!

EQ on that flute is fucking terrible.

Thank you very much, user, that's wonderful of you to say. It's actually just the parts of the song i didn't like. The whole song is 7 minutes long

Can you suggest what to do, which frequencies to lower and which to increase? This is the first time I've used EQ.

Anytime, user. Keep at it.

Sounds like you need to lower everything from 2100 to 20000 (use a high shelf, dont cut it all the way)

Lower 680-700 ranges with a bell curve, tightening or loosening the width if necessary.

Do that untill it doesnt sound as ear piercing.

It might be vocaroo just decimating your audio.

Sorry didn't mean to link anything.

What producers inspire your sound?

Mine's mostly: Flume, RL Grime, What So Not, and Dillon Francis

why do my waveforms look like ass?

clyp.it/3qpwzmji

Try to change the resampling setting on audio settings. If that doesn't work, try to record the thing on edison and save it from there.

cringe

I'm a fan of Flume but I definitely don't try to emulate his sound. Honestly I either just fuck around and have fun until I have something that I think can go somewhere or I work with vocalists and build stuff the way they want and put my own spin on it.

Hey /prod/, I'm really feeling good about the past 4-5 tracks I've made, I'll link you the past couple.

Dirty DnB
clyp.it/rflnopla

Old school funk
clyp.it/mdaa1bhi

those drums (esp the snare) sound straight out of a vengeance sample pack
blegh and the drop is just brostep reformatted to a dnb beat
I hate modern drum and bass anyways though so don't take my opinion too critically

How to /prod/?

thoughts on this?

clyp.it/ujdszjk5

do you know if any sort of blog or youtube promo channel would pick up on this sort of track?

Torrenting Ableton.

What VSTs should I torrent?

i really like these user

don't even download any VSTs or sample packs until you've got the basics down.

The drums aren't Vengeance but now that you mention it I think I know what ticks you off about them.
>just brostep reformatted to a dnb beat
I mean, yeah.

Start with a DAW, DAW's are where you make music in, the current big ones are Ableton, Logic, FL Studio, Cubase, Reason, Studio One and Bitwig. Personally as a beginner I'd either go with FL Studio because there are A LOT of resources for it, a lot of people use it and it has amazing built in synths and effects.

Pretty experimental and nice, lot of variation throughout.

Go to Equipboard and check out what all your favorite pro's are using.

Thank you

I've been messing around with the FL Studio demo for 2 years, haha. I just wanted to see what Ableton is like.

Ableton is faster than FL but in some aspects FL is superior, the piano roll for example.

What about Cubase? I'm thinking of switching to that from FL. I'm doing orchestral stuff and I saw Thomas Bergersen of Two Steps from Hell uses it, also my friend recommended it to me.

you sound like a beginner who's on the right track. Work on making your music more varied and layered, and keep listening to tracks on Subsoul and you'll get there

liking this a lot. sounds like a small snippet of a wider project though. what did you use to make it?

>amon tobin type stuff
that's quite a challenge you've taken on. In this case the track sounds really basic and bare-bones, lacking in texture. This more strikes me as a Two Fingers-type track, so go back and listen to some of that. Really listen to how Amon's drums sound, and you'll noticed they sound a lot more processed, boosted, and exciting. Experiment with different ways to add 'interest' to sounds, so to speak. For the reese bass, if you're worried about it being too "subby", bring up the highs on it to balance the mix out. Remember that a reese bass is not just a sub, it's also got high sound that you're going to want to accentuate. This track also needs a lot more development in the intro. Look up the basics of mixing, as well as adding texture to your tracks.

this is a personal gripe of mine but the stereo spread on the bass there is really annoying me. In fact, in general, I'd like you to ease up on the stereo effects and use them selectively. It also doesn't really hit hard enough, maybe some more sub bass?. Other than that this is a really simple and nondescript instrumental trap / wave track. If you're trying to make this kind of music, at least spice it up with some homemade risers and SFX. You're getting there though.

pretty nice snare, it sounds a bit unprocessed though and sounds like it wants to be louder / punchier compared to everything else. Mixing in general could be better, I'd use more interesting synths with less reverb.

you niggas can't compete in the loudness war
clyp.it/4a3hltcd

aw fuck sick vocal dude, i've been struggling looking for royalty free vocal samples, but no luck.

alright clipping kick, which is unattractive to the listeners. the vocal could get some slight reverb or delay. you'll have to edit them again to get rid of the sudden stop, which could be seen as amateurish. the white noise riser is not my favorite. the drop has no energy since it's not different, the bass has already been played before, therefore no suprise element. hi hats could be more interesting, especially with g house. 2nd drop needs some reverb to smooth everything out.

all in all, decent track, kind of repetitive, but its alright, its house.

my nignog this is good for a rough draft. that fucking mongolian throat singing sample though.

too much stereo bass for my taste, but it's alright. main lead is kinda dry. slap some vocal samples on it and you're done

sick bass design, although i'd rather use it as an one shot than a bass line

shit kick, change it

why tf are you here fag, you don't need help, go make some more music. i'd personally slip in different kinds of bass to show a proper sequence than a jumbled mess of neuro shit. but then again, i make weeb music.

fuckin hate the vocal sample, everything else is alright, for "experimental music"

how to spot bad music: influmcenced by flum

not kidding, 10/10 times if someone says they're influence by flume(just go on his subreddit), it will just be a carbon copy of one of his tracks, OR a completely disjointed mess of "experimental garbage", obviously made by someone that forgot electronic music still uses music theory.

Arguably, flume's skill in music theory and arrangement is the most appealing aspect of his records. There are plenty of more interesting artists sound design wise, e.g sumthin sumthin, EPROM, G Jones, etc.

you're self-conscious. nothing wrong with the waveform per se. It the mix sounds slightly unfinished and the whole thing sounds unmastered; the waveform would probably look different once you do more with the mix and post-master. In terms of the track itself, you could do with making everything more engaging. This doesn't really hold my interest.

1. Snare seems to carry too much weight compared to everything else, like the 'tail' of the snare lasts too long. It also strikes me as sort of soulless, like a really basic DnB track.

2. This is cool. I like this one better.

tchami, curbi, disclosure

clyp or gtfo

clyp.it/wiczacpv

forgive me

I find the first silence annoying, strikes me as tasteless. could do with some reverb, maybe some echo and shit on the drums in the buildup. Just some stuff to make it actually sound like it's "building up". Other than that this is quite basic and unfinished. At least it's mixed competently and there's room for everything.

logic's plugins >

sounds like starwars lol. nice sound design. riser from 0:24 seconds onwards sounds cheesy though, vengeance?

Lmao @ anyone still making brostep

user...it's a wip...

not venggeance, just some random riser pack i found online

1/5 very bad and uninspired. hope it's fun for you to play because it sucks for me to hear
1/5 only listened to all of this because I was playing battlefield. Fucking hot garbage, bro. jesus fucking christ.
4/5 really nice, user. ready for more. love the throat singing.
3/5 started out well, I like the pads you use. pretty basic like you said, but some good instincts.
0/5 can barely listen to this.
1/5 badddd
3/5 i can get into this.
2/5 tips: listen to more music
2/5 early 2000s video game music. drums are wack
2/5 okay
2/5 Because it sounds bad
4/5 good
3/5 too much going on. some good moments
4/5 ayy
2/5 boring

figured as much. makes it difficult to understand what you want critiqued though

>What have you folks been working on?
studying a bunch of theory shit to prepare for my 24 hours song

my tracks are short you fucks? we'll see

i am FULLY committed to this

whether the drops are interesting enough to swoon 1st time listeners. im aiming towards a weeb label that relies on first impressions.

>-3.5 lufs
not that hard if you boost the earrape freqs to shit...

>captcha: gayland

i tried it with some earbuds for fun and my ears hurt now... if you actually bring it down to a reasonable volume, it sounds really quiet

(You)
>3/5 i can get into this.
Only a couple of hours into making it so this is pretty encouraging, thanks

clyp.it/jttf011x4
some random house loopage

I see. Don't take this as an excuse but the only thing i have to hear the mix are my pc speakers and if i want to hear what the thing i do sounds like in regards to ear sensitivity i have to send it to my phone. Also if it's the snare you're talking about, I'm bad at making those, that one i used is actually used was a sample to I'll think about changing it later if i come up with something better. Regarding amon tobin's sound i always saw his work as if he were in a wonderland of sound and recording what he witnesses so that's kinda what i wanted to focus on (for example that voicy kind of thing at the beginning is actually a resampled bass that i put on granulizer to turn it into something else. But thanks for the tips.
Thanks, at least one thing ive put effort on gives its fruits. And yeah the drop part was just a test, now I'm on it.

Song incoming y'all, give me a second while it exports

thanks for the info man, always liked music so it's a great help

Alright, here it is:

clyp.it/ia1r0ku4
Plunderphonics, obviously very Avalanches influenced.

Get ready for a lil' soul-baring

Any feedback guys?

Sounds like some mario biondi type of shit which ive had enough of listening from my dad for the rest of my life. If you made it all though, good job.

clyp.it/4kv0lbvf

thinking of getting a midi keyboard, anyone got some recommendations? anything under $300 will do

That high pitched melody at the end doesn't blend in. Try to move it all a few semitones up or down.

oh yeah I forgot to move it an octave up, you're not supposed to hear it without your brain bleeding

Fucking idiot, i only suggested to do that so the key note matches the rest of the thing, and the sour joke on moving it an octave higher just further proves you just can't into key tracking. I also didn't say necessarily move it up, i know it's already very high in pitch.

I was saying I forgot to move it back up before exporting it, there was no joke. I don't know why you're calling me an idiot

whats the most deeply sampled, well recorded, completely unprocessed drum library? I'm talking about 128 dynamic layers and 8 RRs kind of deep sampling.

I don't care about ram (I have 32GB but i'm going to upgrade to 64 or 128 soon) or cost.

So you didn't understand the criticism at all. The pitch of the melody is bearable but the problem is its key is wrong and makes the melody not blend in with the rest, like layering a trance pad with a horror sounding pluck.

Should I go Modular Synths???

sounds like an intro and that's it tho

NOT FOUND

The samples are dominating everything man, the main problem is your mix. could be cool

nice vocab word
keep at it

>8 RRs
what's that?

round robins, it means that for every dynamic layer, there are eight different samples that can be triggered

Your production advice is to listen to more music, care to give me anything else there?

hey, this is me I figured the mix would be shit, all I have to work with right now are non-studio-grade headphones and I threw all of that together today.

Given that the whole thing is samples though (it's plunderphonics), I wanted to ask for clarification on what you meant by they're dominating everything?

clyp.it/jttf011x

wait like 512 samples per drum hit/8 possible per velocity value or 8 possible hits in 32 velocity zones??? all I have to work with right now are non-studio-grade headphones
worked that way for a couple years man I feel you. upgrade as you can man, any little bit will help

the synth and percussion are drowned out. In that oldschool soul/kanye style sampling I think it'd be best to have that song you're sampling in the back with a theme sitting over top of it.

with that arrangement at 1:22 in particular, the brass(?) should dominate with the song further back, and the arp less audible; they're all kind of clashing up top. i'd say try a lowpass and scoop some high mids off the singing thing and adjust your volumes. maybe a little low end and volume bump for the bass too.

kinda chill

Personally I'd stick with the first chord progression idea, the second one is super generic and doesn't blend at all melodically with the first. Like, trust me on this - there's not melodic continuity between the two and and putting the two on top of each other at the end sound really dissonant and off-putting.

Expand upon the first chord progression is my suggestion

That bass sounds stupid.

Don't listen to him, I like the bass user

>get new midi controller with software bundle
>free VSTs out the ass
>spend 5 hours trying to get all the licenses and shit to work
every

fucking

time

iLok is such a piece of shit

has anyone noticed the quality of the submissions to these threads have gone up lately? what happened to other genres? what happened to the terrible beginners?

>what happened to the terrible beginners?

okay i've regularly listened to 9/10 clyps in every thread for a while off and on and I have no idea what you're talking about. The majority of it is still awful lol. I've only heard one that was (really) good from the past 3 or 4 threads. Maybe a third of it was passable as beyond a first year producer lol

which one was that?

the clyp 404'd but his name on soundcloud is hambling

the last few threads haven't had as many assholes trying to bring everybody down though so that's good

there is a FREE library for reaper with 128 or 256 (dont remember which) hits per piece of the kit... it kind of sounds like shit, but still, I'd expect commercial libs to do better

Terrible beginner here. I'm stuck at the moment. Posted a bunch in the last month but I haven't made enough progress to be worth posting it when I know I'll get the exact same feedback.

I'm still struggling to get compression right.

how do i get a synth like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=W4C6msvK3o8 00:20

bump bb

(slightly) detuned saws in reverb

thanks

bumping again maybe i should let you die next time
o_o

hehe xD :3

Sytrus has great sound tho
>Harmor is great