What compels someone to become a bass player?

What compels someone to become a bass player?

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/track/3LhtqibvTtjOUrzKs7Vsz1
youtu.be/6RxxyLBL6pE
youtube.com/watch?v=2-FjO3E8K-E
youtube.com/watch?v=cifo77azntk
youtube.com/watch?v=TgntkGc5iBo
youtube.com/watch?v=2plXqCTbyoA
youtube.com/watch?v=Snmer1qVJM8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

By being the worst guitarist in your friend group.

they thought guitar was too hard

T.bassist here. I always liked the sound of bass even before playing it, it looked cool and the guitar playing I had been exposed to were acoustic faggots. I eventually ended up buying a guitar but I only to learn chords better, I hardly play it Bass is just way more fun imo

This is true for a lot of peeps though they never tend to be good players.

being good at bass is more difficult than being good at guitar. only thing is, 90% of bass players aren't good

Personally, it's because I wanted to be edgy and different when I was fourteen and everyone else was learning guitar. Luckily for me I got into post-punk which has albums and albums full of great bass to work out.

The only other bassist I know was a goth kid who liked goth music which I guess is conducive to bass too. Couldn't imagine being into metal or something.

>-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
>Watch me gallop, mom!
>-0-3-5-0-3-5-0-3-5-0-3-5

I've always loved the sound and feel of bass. These something about it that vibes with me deep down. I love my guitar but bass is without a doubt my favorite instrument. When used properly it can add white a bit too a song rather than just making the guitar sound less empty

Ex open.spotify.com/track/3LhtqibvTtjOUrzKs7Vsz1

Meant quite a bit* obviously.

Also it's just as difficult as guitar.

I liked the idea of a bass's role the most in a group. It's sort of like you're the foundation. Guitars and lead singer are cool and flashy and all but when I picked up bass, I had no idea about instruments. So the "I play bass because guitar was too hard" doesn't really apply for me since I had no idea that one is more difficult than the other in the first place.

PLUS even if getting into bass is easier, mastering it is just as hard if you think about it.

Today - probably the desire to be modern and to be relevant. How could I be relevant and cool without putting much effort in? And that's how the majority of modern bass players are born.

It's a shame and a disservice to such a vital instrument.

I understand you completely as a guitar player.
youtu.be/6RxxyLBL6pE
Who wouldn't want to have something like this in a band?

I must agree. I always strive to be better at it, partly so that I don't get labeled with that bunch...

Yeah. When it comes to jamming, especially in jazz, instruments are pretty equal and everyone is pushing their abilities.

Hang on now chaps, the same is true of every instrument and has been true since Bach set up his garage quartet. I think what's changed is the threshold of quality required to appeal to normies, and players explore tone and effects far more now than they ever could before so there's less emphasis on technical playing. If the bass in a band is anything more or less than it needs to be it's probably shit and that's about the only way I judge specific instruments.

While we're at it, how do you guys practice/what's your routine?

Why do jazz players have to strike each other's dicks so hard like this?

I just feel that guitar is kinda boring. Bass had something new and intresting. The more I play, nore i get into it. And i like the looks, its so like masculine when you see the strings vibrating and just the size of it. Bass is the muscle and mass of the band giving the strenght

Am not even a jazz player, that's just how I feel about it.

Frustrated guitar players

usually play it like a guitar too

>What compels someone to become a bass player?
When you're already done with writing the guitar riffs.

you cant play groovy basslines on a guitar
who doesnt like a good bassline? Maybe thats what compels people to play it

My dad told me to.

being a retarded 14 year old with a bunch of retarded 14 year old friends who all played guitar("I want to be the guitarist" "no I do").

even though I was the only one who could actually read music and probably the most practiced I switched to bass since playing low notes on the cheap P-bass rip-off in music class excited my benis

also at some point listening to Hooky and Jack Bruce play woke me to the sonic range of the bass

i play both and bass is so much harder. taught myself guitar in like a year and can play pretty much any chord chart that i'm given / can read treble and bass clef. taken bass lessons for years now.

the hand technique of bass is so much harder. also playing bass fatigues you a lot more. any guitarist can pick up a bass and play tonics or 1 3 5 bass lines but in terms of what it takes to be a good guitarist vs what it takes to be a good bassist; bass is way more difficult.

>Why do jazz players have to strike each other's dicks so hard like this?
And this is why there is no authentic movement in contemporary jazz or any other non commercial genre of music.

I think people take instruments less seriously in general and get discouraged by the sheer amount of incredible musicians nowadays. But then again, there are either revival movements or people who are trying to turn music into an Olympic discipline (bands like Dream Theater). And I would also argue that technical proficiency is important up to a point of translating the sound you hear in your head to your instrument. I think people shouldn't at all be discouraged by the advent of recording technology and everything it provides, but rather motivated and full of ideas.

I love the low tones and how they supplement the melody without being all flashy. Would consider learning bass after I get a good grasp on guitar if I didn't have such a hardon for the use of organs and synths in general in classic rock.

>Couldn't imagine being into metal or something

youtube.com/watch?v=2-FjO3E8K-E

Joy Division.

That's nice. Do you only play post punk now?

I played the viola in middle school, high school, and college. Thankless harmony was my way of life for over a decade.

I'm drawn to the bass for the same reason. It's mostly overlooked, but when it's pushed to the forefront of a composition, it's like a killer trombone riff in a Jazz piece and can do things to the feel of a song in a way that no guitarist ever will be able to do.

This.

Your average guitarist is better than your average bassist, but the best bassists are generally better than the best guitarists.

>and can do things to the feel of a song in a way that no guitarist ever will be able to do
It seems like you understand me. I'm a guitar player, but there's something about the fretless bass sound:
youtu.be/6RxxyLBL6pE

I'm in love with Future Islands for that reason, the post punk leading bass sound anchors a track in way that no guitar-lead song does.

I'm actually not as big on fretless jazz-style work, maybe it's coming from the bowed instrument world, but the kind of singing treble that you heard all over Rick bass acts like classic Genesis/Yes/Rush, or Sting's melodic, leading bass work all over the Police Discography never ceases to give me eargasms.

>you cant play groovy basslines on a guitar
seven nation army

I play bass because my mate's band needed a bass player and (get this) I enjoy it

On the other hand, PiL wouldn't say like they did without Jah Wobble:
youtube.com/watch?v=cifo77azntk

This is absolutely true. The majority of shitty bassists make the bass the joke it is, but in reality, it's much more difficult to be proficient at bass than guitar.

Lack of talent

Again, I don't think people are willing to go as far as someone like Rockette Morton (the Magic Band). He went as far as to play chords on a bass and do so with a unique technique he developed. And to top it all off, he even played with a finger pick... If modern bass players went even as half as far as he did.

CLIFFORD LEE BURTON

/thread

test

John Francis Anthony "Jaco" Pastorius III
youtube.com/watch?v=TgntkGc5iBo

Ok homo

Too try hard....Cliff sounded Amaizing and was impressive ....alost effortlessly

My dad played it. Everyelse played guitar or drums

Too tryhard? Are you serious?

Both of these are true.
I picked up bass in 6th grade, i played guitar since 4th but i wasn't into it as much. I had friends who played guitar and one who drummed so i was like "fuck it" and did the whole middle school band talent show shtick.
I was in jazz band for a bit in high school but quit bc the instructor was a jackass. Still taught myself theory and how to sightread.

Now Im 20 and I play everyday, I'm pursuing music as a musician and a producer. I play many instruments as well as sing but bass is the core of my music, since it's the only instrument i play that i can truly get any sound I want out of.

Also there are so many fucking mediocre guitarists who all play the same style and are always slightly off tempo so no thanks.

>Also there are so many fucking mediocre guitarists who all play the same style and are always slightly off tempo so no thanks.
This is why I don't understand people like Clapton or Bonamassa. I mean, they are great at what they do, but why so many years of blues rock? Clapton's done it, why do we need thousands of guitar players doing it all over again?

Guitar player with a question:

Why does, literally, everyone use a fender p bass?

No. But my main band plays post-punk. My other project is drone/heavy-psych/folk stuff.

Because Leo got it right literally three times.

I hate p bass. It has dull sound.

I'm of course exaggerating a bit. But it seems like at least 95% of rock bassists use them.

Is it just good marketing?

youtube.com/watch?v=2plXqCTbyoA
Jah Wobble is literally too cool for this world.

Wanting to be the essential band member
They are an all-around great rock bass.

youtube.com/watch?v=Snmer1qVJM8

the call of ktulu has some awesome basswork