mega.nz/#F!xZBCSSKB!VX4380uDNqmyFD36ngHmQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WK0csNSX_qA?t=1m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=HyJhJGqLXko
youtube.com/watch?v=NfLU315Q_Cg
youtube.com/watch?v=A2nE2Ah89G4
addons.mozilla.org/ja/firefox/tag/meiryo
edrdg.org/wwwjdic/wwwjdicinf.html#code_tag
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WHT do I bother with Japanese anymore? I don't even like anime anymore.

Read すみっこの空さん
mega.nz/#F!xZBCSSKB!VX4380uDNqmyFD36ngHmQQ

Context: Snake attacked the woman. And the owner of the snake says 蛇女用の大蛇じゃないか
What 用 mean?

thanks to the user that recommended Lamp here a few days ago. amazing band

what do you think of the wanikani Anki deck?

never used it myself. I find some of their mnemonics a bit far-fetched, but that's more of a personal thing. try it, see if it works for you

I take it the owner of the snake isn't concerned with the snake's attack? Maybe like "Big for a female snake, isn't it?" 用 can be a rather confusing suffix and I am still comprehending its various uses.

I think there "Oh, that big snake for snakewoman"
What is snakewoman - i don't know.

why would you think snakewoman, and not female snake?

Because i think female snake - something like めすへび.
And try google 蛇女.

hmm, right. would snake woman be logical in the context though? it was just a normal woman being attacked by a snake right?

Could someone explain what という means? I'm pretty confused by Tae Kim's section on it

> it was just a normal woman being attacked by a snake right?
Right
>would snake woman be logical in the context though
I think there circus show

What's a good card limit for aniki?

It's the quotation particle plus 言う. It marks direct and indirect quotations. I see it heavily used to assign descriptions to something.

仮想世界に入り込むというアイデアは凄いね。

"As for the idea of (literally "called") entering into a virtual world, it's amazing, right?"

Post good Japanese music

youtube.com/watch?v=WK0csNSX_qA?t=1m30s

Can 奥さん also refer to the speaker's own wife? Like うちの奥さんがなになに。。。

youtube.com/watch?v=HyJhJGqLXko
youtube.com/watch?v=NfLU315Q_Cg
youtube.com/watch?v=A2nE2Ah89G4

>honorific and humble form
I don't get it
Can I skip it?

yeah, it is quite standard to just address everyone with 貴様 these days anyways.

honorific language is used talking about the actions and status of superiors to bolster their social status, and humble language used on oneself or one's own group to talk about your own actions to lower your social status. I don't know what you are "skipping", but don't get too lost in the grammar theory and it will make more sense when you encounter it in media.

>I don't even like anime anymore
I don't think that's possible - and you always have mango to fall back to if you don't feel like filtering bad adaptations.
Most likely you just grew tired of the genres you used to watch and didn't expand your horizons.

New cards? 20 if you're normal, 50 if you really got the time to put into it and are in a rush.

Reviews? 9999. Capping reviews that are supposed to show up that day will interfere with the spaced repetition algorithm.

Dude, I don't know how it is where you are, but most people grow out of childish things like cartoons and comic books as they reach adulthood.

I downloaded the Daijirin from the CoR, is there a way to install it to my cellphone?

>start anki
>doing pretty well, it's fun
>three weeks later
>see kanji
>40% chance I know the meaning but not how to say it
>40% chance I know how to say it but not the meaning
>20% chance I know fuck all

how do I make brain work good better at thing remembering thing a lot of?

>implying men ever grow out of childish things
They can act like they don't like something to make them seem more "mature" but they will still like doing childish shit. I assume it's the same for women

>how do I make brain work good better at thing remembering thing a lot of?

Nah, he's 100% correct. I can only enjoy mature anime and manga like 進撃の巨人 and デスノート now.

Women always think and act like children, that I'll agree on. But for men I feel they just grow out of it because it gets replaced by less futile hobbies. Comic books and cartoons don't challenge the mind, don't make you learn anything new about the world, it's always simple entertainment.

>inb4 but muh cartoons are deep

Learn grammar and start reading. Seeing the kanji you know in context will help you immensely.

I tried reading some stuff, but the colossal majority of the kanji I've seen are nowhere to be seen, and I just spend 80% of my reading looking up the words and the unknown kanji.

Helps a bit with learning in general, but certainly not with the kanji grind.

>but most people grow out of childish things like cartoons and comic books as they reach adulthood.
Not the one you're quoting, but comic books and cartoons aren't necessarily "childish". They're a medium, you can use them to convey both childish and adult stories.

Maybe you're just reading the wrong things. The main problem is that you need to see the kanji in the wild, so to speak, to get familiar with them. Maybe try using them in sentences instead of reading? This approach works for me at least.

This is what greentexting does to your brain.

That's the thing, 99% of the time the medium aims kids and teens as its target audience. And hey I'm just saying it like it is, objectively most people grow out of it.

This But maybe you're right, maybe I should just give away my Kago Shintaro collection to children who might be more interested in it.

”もっと忠実度にこだわった方が良かったと思う”

"I think that it's better that [it] was more fixated on faithfulness (the comparison to an alternative being)."

Is that a fair translation? past tense + 方が良かった I haven't gotten used to yet.

>And hey I'm just saying it like it is, objectively most people grow out of it.
I agree most people don't make the jump. Which to be honest is kinda sad, there are plenty great seinen (18-40 yo male demographic) works that kids have no intellectual and emotional maturity to enjoy. (cough Junji Ito cough cough)

I think it would have been better if it were more fixated on faithfulness. (The way of having been more fixated on faithfulness would have been better, I think.)

pls help

.. hmm alright thanks, I resisted that translation at first but I'm growing confident that that is it, as I read the whole sentence. The "would have been vs. was" point trips me up quite a bit.

"もっと忠実度にこだわった方が良かったと思うけど、そうするともっとスカスカになるか。"

I think it would have been better if [the movie] were more fixated on being faithful [to the book], however if it had been done that way, would it have been more hollow?

I translate it into the past conditional perfect progressive because もっと忠実度にこだわった方 is talking about a hypothetical situation that did not actually arise, and 良かった is stating that if this situation had arisen it would have been good. Translation is not an exact science, I just kind of do it in my head without really thinking about it.

Interesting, yeah I think hypothetical is the key word here, and if 方 is not talking about physical direction, it seems to be dealing in the abstract.

I'm shit at speaking Japanese. Everytime I get asked a question I blank for a second and stutter. I think my sensei thinks I'm retarded. What do I do?

Try actually studying because if you're taking classes and aren't far ahead of your classmates you clearly aren't trying at all

ど-ども

What's some good, non-weeb audio content I can listen to on a 30 minute bus ride to improve my listening comprehensive?

Thanks for asking the question I was too dumb to ask.

I've been using japanesepod101 audio. They play a dialogue, then the hosts talk about the dialog in a mix of Japanese and English (more Japanese depending on the level), and they go over key words and grammar points. I think they're great, personally. They have transcripts too to increase in comprehension. I also use NHK news, but you would need to keep up with the daily current events in Japan and abroad to get anything out of that.

Pretty much any level without at least half of the speaking in japanese would be a huge waste of time desu

I can't comment on the beginner videos, but lower intermediate is over half most of the time. The first ten or so were pretty scant in Japanese, but they shift into more and more. Advanced is 100% Japanese.

How can it be a waste of time if you otherwise wouldn't even be using that time?

>つまり、あなたは何も知らないのですね。
Some of these audio sentences in C2K are top notch. Her voice is so good I can perfectly imagine a strict cake teacher with long dark hair, glasses, and tight skirt who's looking down on me with judgmental expression because I can't answer her question.

Because you'd be better off listening to native podcasts at 10% comprehension.

How do I get Meiryo to work in Firefox? Like, user's sentence here is still displayed in some shitty basic font and not Meiryo despite having set everything to Meiryo in the options.

I remember having helped people with this in the past but I can't even remember myself how to do it anymore. Could I get some help please?

shameless plz translate this to me. for monster hunter purposes.

>Make an anki acc
>synchronize pc to acc
>synchronize phone to acc
>enjoy studying
Good luck user

Ignore my previous answer, i read your request all wrong. Sorry, I'm tired.

attack up large
weakness exploit
skill increase or something like that? couldn't find it anywhere
critical eye
razor sharp

First column:
>Hip thrust skills
- Upper thrust power (Giant)
- Rape the weak
- Pregnancy rate +2
- Eyesocket fuck +1
- Piercing uterus

Second column:
>Already learned skills 7
- Cumming inside
- Feeling a great pleasure

What's the difference between だ and です?

everything

How does Eyesocket fuck +1 work? Is it a buff to the percentage chance of it being possible, or the effectiveness of it on the victim?

Tae Kim covers this in his Essential Grammar section...try asking questions after reading it.

I'm trying to say "My internet friend said that "the word 'watashi' is feminine. So, I decided to use "waga." Based off of my Japanese 1 education, here's what I came up with:

我がのインタ−ネット友だちは、「あの言葉「私」を使っているは女の子ぽいだ」と言っていました。そして、我がは「我が」を使うをきめました。

I'm probably wrong somewhere in there, though. What did I mess up? It's more complex of a grammatical construction than I've tried in class yet.

Anyone else watch this Japanese kino?

Most comfy compelling content imaginable.

我が is possessive. It's the equivalent of 私の.
So you say 我がインターネット友達 but 我(われ)は「我」を使うことにしました.

Here is my attempt:
我がインターネット友達は、「あの「私」って言葉を使うのは女の子っぽい」と言っていました。というわけで、我は自分のことを「我」と呼ぶことにしました。

>僕のインタ−ネット友だちが「あの言葉「私」を使っているのは女の子ぽいだ」と言っていました。だから、僕は「我が」を使おうと気ました。

我 is pretty stuffy, IIRC. It's a kind of relic of archaic Japanese speech. Unless, this Japanese person recommended 我, then disregard what I'm saying. 僕 is probably best. Maybe 俺, but I know less about that one. You need a nominalizer if you are going to make a sentence a topic, remember that. And 決める marked with that を alone isn't going to work. You may be able to nominalize it, like のを, but I think volitional + と決める works better here.

>tfw
vocab is king...
if you are

Hey DJT I hope you can give me some advice.

I want to study hard to learn as much as possible until next year.
I'm going to do work and travel in Japan and I need to work on my conversation skills.

Any ideas on how to improve listening comprehension and practice forming Japanese sentences?

Thank you in advance.

pic unrelated

Your pic reminded me I can probably hire a qtpie Japanese girl to teach me Japanese, right?

It can, but うち is usually used by women, isn't it? And I think 妻, 奥, or 嫁 are more common. You don't usually attach さん when referring to members of your own family to a third party.

Nah, it's a joke that I'm using the wrong pronoun - since normally if you're writing a letter you'd be using "watashi." Everything seems to check out, though. Thanks, guys!

>It can, but うち is usually used by women, isn't it?
Yeah, if you use it as "I" and not "we/our household/our company/etc."

Now that you mention it wasn't there a site where you could pay a tutor?

You can get any native of any language to teach you their language, if you have the money.

Well, I pulled that quote from a native speaker's blog; a middle aged man. Maybe because he's putting this on a public blog, he decided to be extra distant and formal.

Gotcha, cheers bud

Nice reddit spacing you insufferable little shit. You have to go back.

>Japanese kino
Please keep that faggot terminology on Sup Forums.
>gourmet
>Netflix
Woah. Full combo here.

>pic
I'm the kind of guy who would probably use watashi regardless. I hate adjusting my way of speaking according to who I'm talking to, and I hate slangy people. Would probably feel like a nigger speaking ore. Maybe waga or some hipster shit if watashi was heavily culturally gay.
I can't even call old people mister (o senhor/a senhora) and use informal "you" instead in Portuguese. And some even seem to like it, being treated

Of course I'll have to at least learn polite speech, but I'll make speaking both modes the most similar I can. Maybe dropping the conjugation at most.

>question
How much do you know in all areas of Japanese? How much time can you spend every day on it? Those are important to give you a more realistic goal.

>that pic
My Japanese friend (male) told me otherwise.

I use watashi and i ain't gay

addons.mozilla.org/ja/firefox/tag/meiryo
Merci pour le nom, des mois que je me bousille les yeux sur des caractères dégueulasses.

Wow, it really is as good as you guys have been saying. Top comfy. Thanks for the rec, user.

Nice /jp/ DJT attitude. You have to go back.

Will I eventually just learn which reading to use by context?

like 真 in shin megami tensei
without furigana how would I know its read shin and not ma?

A tear.
I read.

How do you read these? I guess it's the same; unless there is context, you go with your guts and misunderstandings happen.

Generally, though, there will be some usage patterns and some readings that are literary and not commonplace. The latter will usually have furigana accompanying.

>falling for this meme
lmao
my friends with children still play pokemangs

user, are you the same Canadian user who posted these:

>A tear.
>I read.
That's got to be the deepest haiku I've ever read. Vocaroo it

What do the characters in parentheses in the Rikaichan name dictionary mean? Some I can guess like (f), but the rest escape me.

ça ne change rien du tout pour moi, mais content d'avoir pu aider.

edrdg.org/wwwjdic/wwwjdicinf.html#code_tag
s - surname (family name)
p - place name
u - unclassified name
g - unclassified given name
m - male
f - female

but both the readings of ma and shin can mean true. So it's just a matter of pronunciation.

In the second sentence, し is the stem of する, right? If that's the case, I'm guessing she's using the noun + に + する construction to modify ところ, why is する a stem and not just the plain non-negative form?

That is a contraction of しておこう

I opened notepad today and tried writing out every single kanji I knew. Then I went through it again, writing the meaning instead.

My anki grind today was much, much better.

Thanks

Tae Kim has this example:

>それでいいと思うなら、そうしなよ。
>If you think that's fine, then go ahead and do it.

I'm confused on where he specifies that it's the other person that's thinking it's fine. My first instinct is the で, but I'm not very sure. Does anyone have a more detailed explanation of this?

Two things:

1. なら is a conditional based on the speaker's own supposition, and the speaker doesn't need to "suppose" his own thinking.

2. The inverse wouldn't make sense anyway. "If I think it's fine, then (you) do it."

Read the なら entry in the DoJG if you haven't yet.