How many of you Soccer fans support a 2nd division team?

I was just looking at pictures of the Sky Bet Championship League and these 2nd division teams are selling out stadium. How the fuck is this possible? I just cant get over it, pretty based desu.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ShBZdRPVc30
youtube.com/watch?v=sAhEFuq62-I
youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cwGgrOhu2ZA#t=713
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Im supporting a 3rd division team here in germany and there are quite a lot of supporters in the stadiums considering most games arent that high- level

A lot of people love watching soccer in stadiums so if there is a decent club in your region, having the oppurtunity to watch their games is a pretty big deal to most

So do you support a larger first division team too?

average in 2. Bundesliga is around 20.000 with even the most bumfuck in the middle of nowhere teams getting around 10.000 average.

my team manages to keep its 50k stadium half full (or empty) and gets up to 37k against top teams. used to be higher but the last few years were quite rough with lots of changes so keeping so many viewers is considered a success for the team.

>Not supporting a 8th division team

Fucking plebs

Surely they would have 1st division team within close proximity, what would make them cheer for a lower division team?

Cheaper tickets and better atmosphere, stupid leaf

it's the same reason why college football is so popular in the states. it's a tribal kind of thing.

also, imagine you had a local hockey team or whatever, just a small town thing, and you knew that if they played well enough they could actually earn a spot in the NHL. these people aren't just supporting their team while they play in some bush league, they support them because they have a legitimate shot at getting to the top someday

>tfw pompy fan

Apparently championship tickets are more expensive than epl

A better question is who turns out for a Conference North/South team?

I mean, I've been to a minor league baseball game, but it's not like I'd ever go weekly

People in small towns or to watch their mates or family play, isn't the attendance like 1000 on average?

Heh, I support a 4th division side

I support a 4th division team. Kek.

Real Zaragoza. We used to score 6 against Barcelona and Madrid n shiet.

Championship is GOAT la

real football desu

>tfw my local team declared bankruptcy and has been relegated from the 2nd league

I go every now and then to my local conference north team, think that's true for a lot of people in my town. I wouldn't describe myself as a fan. Attendances are typically around 1k-2k.

Most of the people who turn up every week are old blokes who can't be bothered traveling any further or are disillusioned with better football, and a load of 13-17 year olds who like to pretend to be hooligans.

I'm from Hull and support them (season ticket), but I lived in Macclesfield for 3 years so got a season ticket for them aswell.

Average attendance for Macc Town is around 1,500 - In the National Conference.

Grassroots football is always fun to watch live - I wouldn't be bothered about anything less than championship (2nd division) on TV as the whole point of lower clubs is the atmosphere and camaraderie rather than silky football.

Most British people will support their local team, even if it's someone like Macclesfield (when Trafford & Manchester Utd are 25minutes drive away).

lower divisions are great. >we are in the 3rd now, back in 2011 we were the champions of 3rd, so get to play the 2nd, then 2 relegations in a row and 4th, and this year champions again so we are back in the 3rd
back in the 70s we were in 1st for 5 years, first team in the city to get there

The lack of Saturday 3pm matches on TV is meant to encourage supporting local teams/lower leagues

League attendances have actually been steadily rising in British football since the mid 80's (with 2016 having the highest league average since 1952).

There's a passion & culture deep-rooted in British life for football, it won't be changing any time soon. Even the polish, paki and arab immigrants have taken this part of our culture - go to a Bradford match for example.

I find the English support for grassroots footy really admirable. The EPL is quite plastic and overcommercialized nowadays but seeing a thousand people watch a fifth tier game and having a good time tends to restore my faith in the game.

>more people watch league 2 than the Scottish, Portuguese and Belgian top divisions
Really makes you think

My local team climbed 4 divisions in 5 years and finished 8th-9th in the top flight in their first year this year. Feels good man.
Haven't missed a home game in 4 years.

>How the fuck is this possible?
Cause people support their local team. How hard is that to comprehend?

Away tickets are just cause there isn't a cap

Östersund? Didn't know they had climbed THAT much in recent years

I think the Championship has like the 4th highest attendances of any league in Europe or some shit.

Lots of places support their local teams, especially if they used to be big clubs, rather than jumping on the United/Chelsea bandwagon

Based stadium. Been about 15 times over last 2 seasons.

COME ON YOU SEAGULLS

SUSSEX BY THE SEA

Over 30,000 were at the stadium for the game against hull the other night. Better than top division games across Europe.

Truth is we love football in this country, it's a religion

>tfw trapped in the Scottish 2nd tier

most games have around 2000 people. you can hear the players shouting at the ref.

Non-League is genuinely one of the most pleasant ways to spend an afternoon. Comfy grounds, cheap decent food, can get away with having a pint in view of the match in most places unless it's a bigger club that may have previously played in the League. Plenty of red cards and scrappy goals and even some decent football in between.

Take North Ferriby United, a team from a village of 4000 who get about 400 on average, depending on if Hull City are at home. It's absolutely obscene that they are in the Conference and have won the FA Trophy a couple of seasons ago. Admittedly they are struggling like.

>season ticket holder at hull

I know that pain friendo

My team is usually in the second división, but now it made it to the first division

Not anymore nigga, we serie a again

I support a fourth-tier team, but I don't live in the town any more so I haven't actually been to see them for years. It's shameful, I accept, but I'd still feel bad going to see Man Utd (my new local team) instead of based Yeovil Town.

My dad.

>Man Utd (my new local team)
Go see Stockport instead

Because there's only one sport in Europe. It's like what would happen here if you took all the basketball, baseball, and hockey players and made them play handegg.

they still get a lot better fan support
nhl, select cfl and mls get crowds
college sports only seems big in towns without anything else like london or antigonish
chl which is the most grassroots has a median around 5k
there's less fan culture here, games are more family friendly

Hello I support a team in the Championship

what you niggas wanna ask

>tfw 1st division is worst than 2nd divisions around the globe.
youtube.com/watch?v=ShBZdRPVc30

Dank meme
Rugby, cricket and boxing are all pretty big, and there are plenty other sports that get decent followings

yes sir. and we sell out our season tickets every year.

Biggest hockey team in Nottingham sold more tickets than in Halifax, but they're in a turnaround period.

>cardboard cutout stadium
>good
lmao

Argentinean league always had relatively low attendances through history, now particularly being worse. Second division isn't that different from mid-small 1st division teams

we need to absorb the uruguayan league

love me some great Nacional Peñarol banter along the big five

Hockey is bigger in Leicester here than Nottingham, and derbyshire cause of the olympic gold medal winners

is milton keynes the leicester team?
olympic gold like 1936?

Jesus wait do Leafs not have minor league baseball or is OP just a dumbass? We do this in America, too

it's cheaper and closer to most Americans, just like in Europe. I'd imagine most of the lower division teams' fans probably root for a "major" team somewhere, too

the uk won hockey gold this year retard

come to think of it wouldn't you Leafs have minor league hockey?

>I'd imagine most of the lower division teams' fans probably root for a "major" team somewhere, too
None league maybe. No one in the championship would though

Vancouver is the only farm team in the minors, they're just single A

there's teams NCAA players come up to during the summer for free

because people buy tickets for field hockey in halifax? see dummy

I have a Brommapojkarna shirt, I follow them and AIK

You said it, not me

Does MLS count as second division?

>the uk won hockey gold

Wait, I didn't know the UK even played hockey. Are there even any British players in NHL?

yes, but it's confusing because there's minor (not nhl) and minor (actual players aren't adults)

directly below nhl there's ahl, but only 3 teams, and winnipeg and toronto just have their farm teams so it's tickets for people too poor for normal games
below that it's echl, but only one team in canada

of actual under 20 hockey the big league is the chl, attendance is good in big cities that don't have pro hockey

because it's so expensive, even the amateur 15-18 year old teams charge $10 to go to a game

2nd best women in the world

>he doesn't support his 9th division club

youtube.com/watch?v=sAhEFuq62-I

>the state of western ontario
why so empty?

Chilean league usually has poor attendance like 3k or worse, even in first division . One reason is that is more comfy to watch it on tv, but also because fans are not that faithful despite what they say.

Wait, that isn't right. I thought Russia and Canada dominated hockey. And aren't Sweden and Finland supposed to be powerhouses too? Also, how the fuck does Argentina play hockey? Does it even snow there?

Who needs snow for hockey?

He's talking field hockey.

We do have an Ice Hockey league though. Minor sport but it's a fun Sunday night. The top-tier Elite league is the only UK sport league with teams from all 4 countries of the UK in it.

youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cwGgrOhu2ZA#t=713

>EPL on the right
Is that what mean when they write it then?

>aggregate admision
statpadding with 24 teams in the league

Have you ever been? It's actually a really nice ground for a championship team

you've seen all 1500km of it now
it's a shitty layer of top soil over hard rock, can't farm it
was a private fur farm of the crown until 1875

It's not ice hockey, it's grass hockey. There's also skate hokey

anyone who follows this needs investigating for noncery

3rd division here
we were in the 2nd division last year due to a miracolous promotion (Ganz i still love you) only to make an ass of ourselves in Serie B and get immediatly relegated again
i don't even care, still one of the best seasons of my life since we went bankrupt in the early 2000s

i do support another team in Serie A (although i wouldn't call them my club) and it's just different to support a lower division club, it's a far comfier and more authentic kind of bond

I remember Ajax playing Real Zaragoza for some european meme cup

The town I grew up in is in League 2 and they're the biggest team around here for quite a while. Although I moved to a small village just outside there when I was a teenager and they have a team in the 9th division.

USL is second division, I guess

I didn't know foreigners played field hockey. I thought it was a sport for northeastern lesbians.

I support a third division team and we regularly get 20,000.

>I'd imagine most of the lower division teams' fans probably root for a "major" team somewhere, too
Maybe only fans of really small teams. The top four divisions are considered to be the Football League - the full time professional levels of the game. All 92 clubs in these leagues are certainly big enough to warrant supporting solely.

It's still a sport for lesbians. Two of our team are married to each other

Nottingham Panthers are BASED

Average crowd at the arena is more than 5000 for every game, the atmosphere is amazing