What would a high fantasy setting based on your country's mythology and culture be like? England need not answer

What would a high fantasy setting based on your country's mythology and culture be like? England need not answer.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Suns
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

poorly written

>Ivan trekked down the worn path. Dirty snow clung to his boots, and the melted flakes from the trees above dripped down into his ushanka, freezing his ears.
>He made his way to elder's home. It was a squat, ugly thing, and the nicest home in the village, because it was painted with paint received from a passing nobleman in exchange for keeping the village loyal.
>"Hello Ivan," said Elder Dmitri. "How does the day fare for you?"
>"Poorly." replied Ivan.
>"Ah. Then as usual."

good

I liked Mascaras de Matar, but good luck finding it translated.
Captain Alatriste isn't Fantasy but it's the one than captures Spanish epic the best.

LotR
but the bad guys would be Gotlanders
and their women would be coveted
but they die or are turned to seagulls because they are bitches

well, let me talk about spanish folklore and mythology

I just know a bit of Castilian and north Spain folklore and i would say that is not different to what you can see in countries like France, we share some creatures with them like Tarasca (a dragon cat-tortoise) or Gargantua but in this case, we call them Tragaldabas, a type of giant that eats everything including rocks.

North Spain's folklore its influenced with the Celtic mythology and for that reason we have a many types of gnomes, fairies, elves, trolls, spirits of nature and giants with very distinctive characteristics between them like use of magic or can live with humans. There are some creatures typical of the Greek mythology (maybe because Rome influence) like cyclops or a type of harpy. The people of north west like the galicians have La Santa Compaña, a massive funeral procession of ghosts.

Castilian folklore takes basically everything from the folklore of Cantabria, a region from the north between Basque Country and Asturias, so is not too diferent of what i said before, for example there is a legend that in the old capital of Burgos the citizens had domestic elves.
The name that we have for the meetings of witches and demons to make satanic rituals is Aquelarres, I read that the origin of this stories is in the catholic church trying to unpopularize pagan traditions. Thanks to Christianity we have many stories of demons and witches, like the story of the dog of the devil of the monastery of the Escorial.

Talking about lycanthropy, we have a legend of a noble family of lycanthropes that served the king of Castile and protected the old capital of Toledo from attacks of mercenaries. The Castilian lycanthrope can control their beast form, somehow people knew that and living together wasn't a problem. Their beast form is a giant wolf just like in Twilight.

About dragons... the most famous are the asturian-cantabrian dragons Cuélebre, big snakes with bat wings. I heard about a dragon from Basque country but I only know that.
We don't have the holy grail but we have something similar "the table of Solomon". The legend said that God gave his true name to Solomon the king of Israel, he wrote it with strange symbols in a ceremonial table and hidden in an enigma, the one who solves the enigma would obtain the true name of god and automatically all the knowledge of the universe. The romans took the table and the Visigoths in the fall of Rome brought to Toledo with some treasures. The table of Solomon is hidden in a cave close to Toledo. There are some manuscripts of Muslim explorers trying to find this object.

Like our fairytales

It's called the Kekec film trilogy

I've nev e heard of any of that, neat. Too bad Western Europe just gets painted as medieval England all the time.

Do finns and gotlanders not get along?

LET ME SING YOU THE SONG OF MY PEOPLE.

Everyone who matters would be going around singing how hot shit they are and more knowledgeable about the world than the other guy. All the good magic shit is singing.

I haven't written in English for a long time so don't worry about the spelling mistakes

We just had a lot of contact with them compared to other Sw*des.

Brutal

Italy has quite an obscure mitology actually, reading Dampyr made me get into it, shame it doesnt get much recognition in our media

What religion did Maltese people have before Christianity?

According to the Aztec legend of the five suns en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Suns
Depending on the age it takes place, it could be about:
>a world of giant creatures like dinosaurs ruled by the sun of the night
>a world of raining fire ruled by the sun of youth
>a completely flooded world full of devonian creatures ruled by the sun of blood
>a corrupted world full of monkeys and other degenerated hominids ruled by the snake of beauty, i.e. Quetzalcoatl

Personally, I prefer the fifth world, but the only creatures in it are gods-stars fought by the god of war (Huitzilopochtli) to defend the sun of change. So no dwarfs, trolls or fairies, at most there are sorcerers and priests who can meet with those god-stars to gain their favor and men and gods who can transform into other living beings.

Like the other god-stars, Huitzilopochtli, also fights against death to bring the people with him in the afterlife, in this case he only saves the bravest people so they can join his fight. Huitzilopochtli is also one of the few Aztec gods with a legendary weapon, the Xiuhcoatl, a serpent-sword of fire-beauty-time, which allows him to bind the sun with other ages-dimensions and make it move (change).

Were there any Aztec gods that didn't require human sacrifice?

Quetzalcoatl

Historically and culturally inaccurate.

This. I fucking hate amerifats so much.

>Britain
>People get along and the girls are qt.

do you think LoTR is based on English Folkelore or are you just not interested?

Spain is full of Dragons,where I live some Catalan Count Killed one arming himself with an armor full of sharp iron thorns, so when the dragon tried to devor it, he got stuck in the dragon neck tearing it all. The dragon of course was mad in pain, he took flight and scremed like a mad-beast scaring everyone he passed, until he died in a hill than I can reach walking from my home in twenty minutes. Then you have minor dragons like Vibrias, than are wyverns with tits, lake dragons, big ass sneaks with magic powers etc

It would be pretty nice we have a lot of monsters and qt godesses

we have norse mythology and we have fairy tales that were collected by Asbjorn & Moe in the 19th century, travelling around and hearing peoples fairy tales

A combination of LotR and medieval England being the standard template for fantasy settings. Nothing personal, but everyone has seen knights, castles, dragons, and chosen princes before.

There is potential

the medieval stuff is fair play (although France was similar to what you described and lots of armour and knights were northern Italian/southern German) but we can't really take credit for LotR, his languages are based on Welsh and then Finnish and much of the lore is Germanic/Norse and Celtic/La Tene. While both include the British Isles, they also both stretch across northern Europe. Pre Germanic (Anglo/Jute/Saxon) England had some pretty wild Lore like the Brittonic influences on King Arthur and also Dumnonian/West Welsh/Cornwall tales.

that's interesting i have to read more about it. I said Cuelebres because between european dragons they are the most popular of the iberian peninsula

It's true. If you did something truer to reality, England could still be interesting, but the standard template is I guess more England + France + Nordic gods.

>What would a high fantasy setting based on your country's mythology and culture be like?

It's called Lord of the Rings, actually.

kek basically, always get goblins wrong though- they're just little children not evil

>tfw we don't have mythology

>tfw your ancestors were obsessed with King Arthur more than the actual English and added a bunch of shit to it like the blatantly French name Lancelot

Depends on which historical period we're talking about.
>medieval times
The Witcher
>rennaisance
Warhammer's Kislev, but without the Russian and Bohemian elements
>post-partitions/WW1
The Iron Harvest
>WW2 and commie times
There's a lot of crappy fantasy books written en masse here about these periods.
They're generally poorly written, but sometimes they have pretty interesting ideas, like Nazis getting killed in synagogues by Jewish golems, or communism portrayed as a demon-induced mental disease.
>post-commie times
Wouldn't be much different than any other urban fantasy setting, I guess.

>Nazis getting killed in synagogues by Jewish golems, or communism portrayed as a demon-induced mental disease
Is this the evolution of propaganda ?

What Polish elements does Kislev have besides winged cavalry guys? I thought it was 100% Russian.

That's pretty cool

>Persian
A bunch of dudes with swords murderig eachother with other guys getting eaten by manticores. Then the last one standing is gods champion or something and he has sex with a bellydancer

Not many I guess, since as far as I know Kislev isn't as well developed as other factions.
But some of their military terms (pułk, rota) are Polish, and some of them were used both here and in other Slavic nations (drużyna, hetman/ataman).
Also it's not like Russia has some sort of cultural monopoly on bears:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)
>I thought it was 100% Russian.
Their capital is named after Czech capital, and pretty much whole Eastern Europe had their own Cossacks, so nah, it's a pretty varied mix.
I read a French comic about a Nazi rapist who's reborn in Hell as a vampire. Would you call that propaganda as well?

Tell me one pls, I'm sick

>I read a French comic about a Nazi rapist who's reborn in Hell as a vampire. Would you call that propaganda as well?
No, just shit.

The comic was pretty great, so the only thing being shit around here is your taste, Pierre.
Go back to /leftypol/ if you're so easily triggered.

>I read a French comic about a Nazi rapist who's reborn in Hell as a vampire
Sounds like Requiem, one of the most metal comics ever made. Weird and stupid plot, great art.

WTF, we have one, it's Witcher

>invaded by the evil empire to the south
>march down and burn their capitol
>evil empire then to this days says it wasn't really you who did it but the gods all in order to save face