World Chess Championship - TIEBREAKER HYPE

(Chess is a sport recognized by the IOC, pls don't delete: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_IOC_Recognised_International_Sports_Federations)

Tiebreakers start at 2:00 PM EST. The 12-game match between the defending champion Magnus Carlsen (Norway) and the challenger Sergey Karjakin (Russia) ended 6-6, thus today we have tiebreakers, meaning that by the end of the day, the champion will be decided.

The first tiebreaker is 4 rapid games (25 minutes + 10 seconds per move). If after the rapid games the score is 8-8, then the second tiebreaker will be 2 blitz games (5 minutes + 3 seconds per move. If after those games, the score is 10-10, then they once again play 2 blitz games, up to a total of 5 times. If after 10 blitz games, the score is 18-18, then a final sudden death (a.k.a. armageddon), where white has 5 minutes, black has 4 minutes, the players have no increment until move 60 (where they get 3 seconds per move), however black has drawing odds (meaning that a draw would mean a win of the championship for black).

>worldchess.com/nyc2016/
The official site, where you can see all of the live moves and clock times. If you want to see the official stream with commentary and player cams, you need to pay 15 shekels.
>chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/2/1/1
Very good quality, almost live commentary
>youtube.com/watch?v=3ecaDYWXoZc
If you just want the youtube stream of the above site.
>twitch (doт) tv/chessnetwork
Almost live commentary of the game by someone who's a very good chess educator, especially for lower rated players, and of course with Twitch chat.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2016#Schedule_and_results
General information about the match

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_television
analysis.sesse.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Who /hyped/?

hope that chicken shit Carlsen loses in Armageddon

I wonder if he realizes yet that his legacy has forever been tarnished by what he did on Monday?

Is an knight a athlete? Is an pawn? An tower? How about an queen?

>legacy
>chess

Yes. No. No. Yes.

Yes, legacy. What's the problem?

stop being a hater. even videogames are recognized as sports nowadays.

Why are you linking the Dungeons & Dragons board?

fuck carlsen

EZ

just apologize now you cunts

/tg/ might be named "traditional games", but really, it ought to be renamed to "fantasy board and card games" or something like that. That's the only thing that exists on that board.

The simple fact that you can't use dice and roll a checkmate in 4 right on move 1 means that /tg/ will never be an appropriate place to discuss chess.

Who gets black in armageddon game?

>tfw mods deleted my superior thread

There's a drawing of lots. I don't know which exact mechanism they use to draw lots (i.e. is it literally drawing, or is it a coin toss, etc.), but whoever wins gets to choose which color they want to play.

However, given the fact that armageddon has been around for a while and that FIDE has played around with the exact time controls over the years, I'm guessing that it's more or less even for both sides, at least at top level.

There was a way to watch official stream before using VLC and openining the livestream link. If someone who has paid can post it for us out of kindness maybe? then we can all watch for free.

>by what he did on Monday?
you mean by what he and karjakin agreed upon?

carlsen has always been a vocal advocate for change in the tournament, but he's not going to be an idiot when better opportunities for victory arise.

how many bings to the game ?

I really want Karjakin to win, but I just can't see it happening in rapid

I could be wrong, but I think mods/jannies don't want there to be a regular /chess/ general. However, if it's just a few threads once every 2 years to discuss the WCC, then I think they're okay with it, so long as it isn't a general.

Watching the blitz games through chess24 would be a nightmare, given that they're usually a good minute or two behind live in the past.

This. Peter and Jan are awesome, but there is a noticeable delay. Idk how they're going to announce this, but it probably won't be pretty.

thanks

Ok today I can watch from the start.

I think I remember you from the last thread
I guess it won't fill your evening this time either.

The Norwegian's "You can only post in this thread if..." threads generally stay up until they 404 though

I'm pretty sure it's just one new janitor who doesn't like chess threads. Evidently he doesn't realize that chess has been Sup Forums since the beginning

who's the most based chess reporter/journalist, and why is it Tarjei Svensen?

In fact, it's really neat how involved Norway has become in the world of chess, they really produce quality stuff.

Agdestein is our guy

Was there mass public outcry in Norway after that stunt Drawgnus Cowardsen pulled the other day?

I dont know shit about chess but I support the Soviet in this one

Seems like a supreme gentleman

Svidler is our guy

Where can I watch this?

only an autistic country like norway would actually air chess tournaments live on television, on numerous channels.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_television

>beginning with the broadcast of a 7-hour train journey in 2009.
Neat

I fucking love trains

check the OP

not really. did your asshole ever recover?

A reminder that Karjakin won the world rapid chess championship on 2012 while Carlsen won it on 2014 and 2015. Also Carlsen won the blitz championship on 2009 and 2014. So everything point to Magnus retaining his title.

Hoping for some juicy chess tonight!

everything pointed to Magnus winning the classical segment as well, and yet from game 3 to game 8 all he did was choke like he was training for a semen slurping competition.

No and it never will.

He could have been the GOAT but he can never be

No. Some experts were disappointed though.

Carlsen's main priority is to win, not entertain.

is there any hype in Russia?

chess 24 stream has started

they're recapping the 12 previous games

Kasparov is eternal GOAT

The recapping is well edited.

he was sorta prone to choking though

I think Fischer at his best was probably the best ever player. Of course his best only lasted a handful of years, and so if you take the entire career into account probably Kasparov is GOAT.

post your chessfu

>I think Fischer at his best was probably the best ever player.

So how long is this expected to last?

Several hours?

good goy

A more compelling argument is that Magnus lost playing white. That surely butt devastated any perceived advantage he had due to rating or status. It is amazing how lightly the press has commented on this but I believe if he looses today the press and chess pundits will start going for the jugular on that game.

The white advantage this match hasn't been that major of a factor, since neither player has been particularly ambitious out of the opening.

how long will they be playing tonight?

the more insane they look while playing the hotter they are
it's really weird

depends on the logistics of what happens between each game. could take less than an hour, but the officials probably want to rack up some time.

25 mins + 10 seconds per move.

it is guaranteed to last 3 hours pretty much,4-5 hours if all rapid games are needed, then no idea how long with the blitzes

4-5 hours I'd say

can someone explain what happened on Monday that everyone is shitting on Carlsen. thanks

not really.

Tiebreakers are not even shown via state tv, I think, because there is biathlon world cup going on, which is probably more popular in Russia

>P. Sviddy
Jan is growing on me desu

Allow 4 hours for the rapid games but could be much less.

He purposely played to force the tie break.... As a result, the game was really short. He then acted like a douche during the autistic press conference that followed. He said something mean to a 6-year-old, also.

They blitzed out a theoretical line which exchanged all pieces in the first 30 moves and then immediately agreed on a draw (they have to play at least 30). Carlsen ended up with more time on the clock than he started with.

Carlsen looked very happy and just said that he wants to play the tie break. Karjakin said he's always happy with a draw with black.

Thanks, senpai-tachi.

>tfw your post is in that image

its starting lads

Magnus Carlsen is literally autistic. Playing so much Chess must turn people into total spazzes.

my guess is carlsen is gonna blunder and lose. carjackin has been cold all the match so far

>P-Swiddy

anyone remember the names of those 2 kids in Israel who do commentary on YouTube. they were pretty entertaining. Tal or something

doing too much of everything turns someone into a spaz.

luckily for carlsen its chess, so his behavior is not only tolerated, but expected

>Ruy Lopez

>Nb8
What did he mean by this?

what was the link to the live engine analysis?

analysis.sesse.net/

Anyone else having chess24 issues?

RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

analysis.sesse.net

analysis.sesse.net/

setting up for the next game

they put a fucking spelling bee on tv every year but not this

noob speaking, is this broadcasted anywhere? (players actually playing onthe screen)

What did they agree to?

>not watching Jerry's stream

The game within the game, huh.

Yes, on the official site, but you need to pay 7$

Buttsex

I like Jerry but he sucks at chess, at least compared to GMs or a super GM like Svidler

Chess Magazine's (I think that's the name of the magazine) Facebook page had a livestream of them a few matches ago, but I only checked it out once. Not sure if they're still doing it.

There's usually a stream available (for free) at some point.

tal baron has best stream

Svidler is drunk. Watch him.

yeah but compared to me (1700 on chess.com) he's still very good, and able to help me immensely in understanding any given position/tactics. And his production quality is really good.

post the TL version

who /Karjakin/ here?

Also ban the Ruy Lopez.

Karjakin getting BLACKED

>a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4 >a4