Do you think Muse is just a sort of Queen/U2/Radiohead mashup, or do they have something original? If so...

Do you think Muse is just a sort of Queen/U2/Radiohead mashup, or do they have something original? If so, what is their innovation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y31WAq4cENo
youtube.com/watch?v=hi7jdqF_3Wg
youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkj4mzUtrk
youtube.com/watch?v=xVic20Zf0Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=5obpQygcsEI
youtube.com/watch?v=LwpTdh4qtbA
youtube.com/watch?v=pMtq-wdpblo
streamable.com/rhmhc
instagram.com/p/BUKZyQhDdCQ/
youtu.be/b4ozdiGys5g
youtube.com/watch?v=VDdWkXa4yWE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you think Radiohead is just a sort of U2/Coldplay/Aphex Twin mashup, or do they have something original? If so, what is their innovation?

Well, I like Muse. I'm not trying to disparage them. As for Radiohead, they occasionally brought a kind of crunching hard rock to the U2ness.

> what is their innovation?
i dunno, just kinda pretty cool britband

If something, they merge their influences really well, and that's a good trait anyway.

Matt knows how to use his falsetto for effect, see:

youtube.com/watch?v=y31WAq4cENo

youtube.com/watch?v=hi7jdqF_3Wg

Dunno, they know how to make something sound big:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkj4mzUtrk

I think their biggest influence is RATM, and they acknowledge it.

youtube.com/watch?v=xVic20Zf0Zs

I think their biggest influence is AC/DC, and they acknowledge it.
youtube.com/watch?v=5obpQygcsEI

I was gonna pull this video where they cite RATM as the best band of this generation but they also talk about AC/DC so you get a point user, well done.

youtube.com/watch?v=LwpTdh4qtbA

To be honest the first three albums are fucking A. It all went downhill with Resistance

How is RATM an influence on Muse?
Not really left-biased lyrics, the guitarwork doesn't really feel any influence from Tom Morello's playing

This
Absolution IMO was the best one

I have this appreciation for The Resistance tho, it's flawed but some of my favourite songs are there. I'll agree the two following albums aren't good.

Its Matt's favourite band so i guess in someway it influenced them.

Also their first single in 2 years is dropping in few hours. What do you expect guys?

Matt's famous for using many effects and tremolo picking, as Tom did. Also you can see the influence of the RATM riffs in the Muse riffs

youtube.com/watch?v=pMtq-wdpblo
(at the end of this song he literally plays Killing In The Name's solo)

The lyrics get political tho, and I'd say more leftist than anything.

> Rise up, take the power back
> Time to push this beyond a peaceful protest

That has to be a joke. Check out Hyper Music, the riff is ripped off from Snake Charmer. Matt was trying to be Morello a lot in their earlier days. They would often end songs with bursts of RATM riffs when performing live.

Agreed. I like Black Holes and Revelations too, but that album was clearly the beginning of the shift.

I'm expecting something kinda cheesy, but I hope it's Knights of Cydonia cheese and not Revolt cheese.

If it has some good riffs and semi-decent lyrics, I'll be satisfied.

I'm expecting modern Coldplay.

I have my expectations set low but if you are right i will be disappointed anyways...

Yup, to this day they end Stockholm Syndrome with Township Rebellion riff

The band believes Drones was a really heavy, "back to basics" album which clearly it wasn't, so they're probably gonna steer to a happier and friendlier sound.

I'll agree that Black Holes and Revelations marked the beginning of their downhill, but man, what a fantastic album. Even better if you get the Japanese release, which has Glorious in it.

I only find myself going back to one song on Drones, The Handler. It's a better album than the previous ones but still not great. It's hilarious that he thinks mentioning drones in each song makes it some sort of deep, concept album.

The little things we've heard don't sound that bad desu

streamable.com/rhmhc
instagram.com/p/BUKZyQhDdCQ/

That song is the tits. Good riffs, decent lyrics, great chord progressions.

Come on guys, you still have it, give it to us.

There are some great songs/parts on Drones, but their completely overshadowed by the rest, which is bad.
I still think Reapers is a good song, so is The Handler, also the solo in Defector and that middle section in Globalist.

Muse are way better than U2 ever were

I mean they influenced some modern bands (Royal Blood,Nothing but thieves) but nothing too special.

Why are they so shitposted ? Is it because of the fanbase like always ?

This for me. The rest is forgettable.

>Band that came to be around 2000
>most Sup Forums users were teenagers around the prime of muse

Figure the rest.

The cheese is real

They had potential to make a really great album, but they never did and now they're shit.

Yeah, The Handler is the closest thing to sounding like they used to but it's still on the weaker end and doesn't stop the rest being awful.

I also really hate how overly clean and sterile the recordings are post-Absolution.

I just heard dig down and felt very meh about it

Here it is: youtu.be/b4ozdiGys5g

Sigh... bland.

Well that sucked

>DICK DOWN

DICK DOWN
DICK DOWN
I can't believe I fucking paused my playlist for this
its like they've technically regressed as a band
I wouldn't be surprised if this was on their fucking demo
every other song I've heard by them was better
2/10

>he beat me to a DICK DOWN post
I hope you lose your firstborn to crib death

I don't hate it exactly, but it's not what I want from them. It might work as an intro track but it's not single material and if it's representative of an entire album it's way too bland.

Matt Headroom is funny though.

This is some 2ndlaw tier shit.

wow dick down is horrible.
muse is one of my favorite bands (listened to them since I was a teen) and what the FUCK is this
>le ebin drumpf reference
>chorus is literally Freedom
>they just re-used a kitara and made it sound like Madness

yes, although its a bit cheesy

First time that I want the downvote bar in the youtube video to be bigger.

And I liked Unsustainable.

Madness was not a bad song, but this is like Madness without melody, buildup, or anything.

I preferred the joke Cramps cover.

Same.
I just hope this gets Matt to realize wtf hes doing. Apparently he drives the entire band, Chris and Dom have no say in anything the band does as a whole. They pushed to get The Handler made, but the rest was all him...ugh

Yes it was.

Madness is shit.

Unsustainable is so hilariously dumb you'd think it was a parody song. This is just kind of dull and feels like it should be a 1min intro rather than a 4 minute single.

DICK DOWN

It was clear after the release of that 2nd law album that there was nothing of value left

Madness is great IMO. Poppy, yeah, but the climax paid off.

Well, that was a lot of hype for nothing.

QOTSA is my new favorite band.

>implying qotsa haven't also been shit since era vulgaris

The only thing worth it was the Max Headroom reference, yeah

... Like Clockwork was objectively a good album

Like Clockwork is the best pure rock album of this decade fag

It's shit.

You are shit

great opinion.

So whats left that even resembles old muse?
Qotsa
Royal Blood
What else?

>So whats left that even resembles old muse
Amplifier
youtube.com/watch?v=VDdWkXa4yWE
A decent Oceansize lite band

I know bands will change their sound over time, and I've given up hope of muse returning to their 'old' sound, but come on Bellamy...

Dig Down was written by the same man who wrote New Born and Stockholm Syndrome. What happened?

Porcupine Tree (doesn't really sound like Muse but I think you'd appreciate that)
Nothing But Thieves
Marmozets have a musey vibe even if they don't have anything in common.

Money

Matt started doing drugs and touring European clubs for gay sex.

>Porcupine Tree
Haven't been active in 7 years

in all honesty they all stopped doing drugs. Showbiz-OOS-Absolution era (the best) Matt was making songs an sounds hed hear after doing mushroom trips

Well Steven Wilson is still active and plays PT songs.

Shit opinion, you should feel bad about it
Royal Blood, QOTSA, and Dear Sherlock

Talentless hacks besides the bassist

lmao you can't claim that Bellamy isn't talented technically.

Bellamy is talented but hes putting his talents in the wrong place. Chris has been consistantly good but hes too much of a pussy to stand up to Matt

I have to say unsustainable is pretty cool live

>showbiz, oos, absolution
>multiple producers
>bhar, drones
>one producer + muse
>resistance, 2nd law
>muse only

I'm sensing a pattern.

Resistance and 2nd law were the best mixed of them all tho.

And Resistance >>>> Drones

Drones had one producer, they realized they made a mistake during T2L in regards to mixing (as if there wasnt other things lmao). Which is why Supremacy sounds terrible on the album.

This new producer for dig down makes maroon 5, jonas brothers shit

you are retarded, they openly admitted that mixing T2L themselves was a mistake

I wouldn't mind hearing a project that Chris takes the helm of

ive been wishing for this since Resistance

Chris has only been the main songwriter for two muse songs, both off of T2L and they really weren't all that great. Fantastic bassist and love his backing vocals (especially live) but that's all he should stick to IMO.

99% of bands do nothing particularly original, which is why I find it pretty funny when that's the main criticism of a particular artist. if you enjoy the songs Muse write, good for you

>>chorus is literally Freedom
that's what it reminded me of

wow what a shit song

You're right, he needs to abandoned ship or slap Matt silly

woolie needs to stop posting in my imopinion ppinion