Jimi Hendrix thread

He's kind of underrated on Sup Forums, it feels kind of weird.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/68004667
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good. Leave it that way

Yeah MBVMBV ITAOTS ITAOTS is much better

He's the best guitarist of all time, so people think he's overrated

I know what you mean, Jimbo is one of my favorites but he never gets talked about. Electric Ladyland is the best imo

I feel like axis gets left out of every conversation when it has some of his best songs on it
It's always AYE vs. EL

Agreed. I feel the difference between his 3 albums are so marginal that choosing favorites is kind of arbitrary. All 3 fucking rock and none of them should be overlooked

Compilation album of Jimi's hits > Any of the 3 experience studio albums

Are You Experienced is superior to almost all Sup Forumscore but its le dadrock without sounding too weird like ITCOCK because everyone forgets about the Seinfeld effect

Can you imagine hearing that shit in 67?

Cry of Love is his best album by far.

>Seinfeld effect
What does the Seinfeld effect have to do with AYE?

And for reference, what other albums were out back then? The heaviest band back then was, what, The Who? Stones?

first album is ok

pretty forgettable dad rock desu

overrated guitarist

>overrated guitarist
Oh? So who do you think is better?

It's not even dad rock go read a book

>go read a book
Ok dad

Fuck you and FUCK the word dad rock, fucking idiotic idea, dont like this because my dad listens to it, I mean wtf is that for a way to determine if something is good or not.

me

Idk what you're talking about OP, everyone respects Jimi and acknowledges his as the GOAT.

Even MC Ride mentioned in an interview that he fucking loves Jimi Hendrix.

He's good from a technical angle but listening to his guitarwanking quickly gets old

He's one of the least technical guitars there is, though.

Where is Paul Simon's thread? I love his music.

>everyone respects Jimi and acknowledges his as the GOAT
Not really
At least on this board
There's semi-regular The Beatles/Beach Boys threads on here, but almost never Hendrix threads.
Even for mainstream rock guys, I've seen some people rank Page higher than Hendrix

>Even MC Ride mentioned in an interview that he fucking loves Jimi Hendrix.
I think there's a thing among black people where Jimi broke out as a shining star in a white people genre, so there's that.

10/10 guitarist
8/10 musician

He's underrated on Sup Forums but in places where it actually matters he's regarded as easily one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and many other incredible guitarists will also agree with that claim.

Basically who cares how Sup Forums feels about Jimi Hendrix?

It was super heavy and awesome for its time, like nothing ever seen before in music . The colossal influence of that massive piece of work towers over the world of rock even today, it's a big album. Newfags may not be very impressed upon hearing it, because they don't realize that it was the first of its kind, it's what inspired the sounds of those rockers from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s.

I feel like Jimi was one of the first to really experiment with this noisy, no fucks given, guitar solo attitude. Great artist.

genre dominated by white people*

>it was the first of its kind
I don't quite buy that argument, though.
You could basically say that for a lot of "firsts" like Chuck Berry, for inspiring later musicians. But to say that Jimi's legacy is the first is to lump him with Chuck and Elvis, and I don't think that's quite convincing a point. I mean, as great as Chuck was, people don't hold him as high in the rock pantheon of guitarists, do they? And B.B. King predated most/all of them, why does he then never get the #1 spot?

I like Jimi, but saying "He's the first to sound like everyone else" feels like a copout, and sort of maybe not even true.

>genre dominated by white people*
So it's a white people genre.
>muh rock comes from blues
But not only is it influenced by Blues, there's country in there as well, along with a myriad of influences. Moreover, would you say that hip-hop isn't a black people genre? Rock music by white musicians, like "Big Beat" were prominent samples that helped build the genre, and you wouldn't have hip-hop today without people like Rick Rubin. There are also hispanic influences that were in a lot of early hip-hop. But then to go "muh hip-hop isn't a black genre!" is so stupid.

>"Oh, it just HAPPENS that black people are the vast majority of hip-hop, but it's not a black genre! Hip-hop isn't black music"
If you can't accept that, stop splitting hairs by saying literally the same thing about rock music.
>Oh, but muh Chuck Berry invented rock!
"Rock" wouldn't be what it is without the white musicians that came after him. If it was just Chuck Berry and random assorted no-name black musicians doing what he does that followed, what you'd have then isn't really what we consider "rock" today—only an early subgenre of it at best.

One of the best albums I've heard. Electric Ladyland is this incredible hard blues album throughout, with the highlight being Long Hot Summer Night.

Long Hot Summer Night is a masterpiece.

vimeo.com/68004667

> If it was just Chuck Berry and random assorted no-name black musicians doing what he does that followed, what you'd have then isn't really what we consider "rock" today—only an early subgenre of it at best.

That's because White show promoters were actively discriminating against blacks and not allowing them to play at venues across the United States.

That's cultural appropriation: when a group of people develop a style of music, are physically barred from performing it, and then white people (who show promoters and record labels preferred over blacks) were marketed and successful riding off of the accomplishments from black musicians.

Once upon a time people ACTUALLY believed that White people started Jazz. Why? Because it was originally marketed that way and because no one wanted to higher black musicians. Pic related. the "Original Dixieland Jazz Band" was marketed (and still are) as the original Jazz group. They weren't.

when people say noise rock wouldn't have happened without TVU i show them jimi