/prod/ Producer General

Where is everyone?

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/bd1jbodq
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
clyp.it/4htxzjj2
youtube.com/watch?v=kOGp1EO4uaY
clyp.it/of5mlzq4
clyp.it/2dejgjp1
clyp.it/gwnhg5cb
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonator
youtube.com/watch?v=FzeZbJceKZE
clyp.it/xnxg3ge4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why can't you fix the links for the mixing and synth videos
this is the second time

What are some good resources for building lyric writing skills?
I have this song but I can't write any lyrics to it. Everything I write sounds so mediocre.
>clyp.it/bd1jbodq
Here is the song. Feedback on the mix and overall "professional' feel of the track would be much appreciated

USE THIS FIXED YOUTUBE LINKS FOR NEXT OP

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School

>Pensado's Place

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials

>Justin Omoi

>WarBeats

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)

>Modern Mixing

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

>Where is everyone?
WORKING ON SONGS AND NOT ON Sup Forums
taking a short break now

the break at 16 seconds feels like it should have something there... like normally there's a bandpass

piano feels out of place... maybe a little lowcut and some reverb. next synth to come up has too much attack imo. cool song

bump4u

should i just ctrl+n?

clyp.it/4htxzjj2

>clyp.it/bd1jbodq
nice song man

only critique: the piano sound that enters at 0:24 could be better; if i got correctly what you were aiming for, find another one, layer it a bit with some filtered saw to add some weight, drench it in reverb, and change the hihat sound so it adjusts to the vibe, maybe some less high end

that arp pluck at :30 sounds subpar compared to other elements of the song, which is a shame. the kick needs some tweaking to fit the theme too, i'd personally lower its pitch

yep i agree, i was mostly asking for the main textural feel that its beginning to imply, i can't agree with myself if its detuned crap or detuned goodness

sounds good on headphones, and detuned as fuck on the phone speaker

How do I make ambient/drone similar to this on fl studio? youtube.com/watch?v=kOGp1EO4uaY

1-sample an industrial fan, make it loop for the extent of the track add some light reverb mostly to give it stereo width
2-use a substractor(or easier, an operator) synth to generate fundamental-based sounds with long attack and release, mostly saws i would guess, filter/eq them to mix well with the rest you are doing
3-automate their volumes (make them come and go) and filters (i would guess mostly ADD harmonics to mesh with the noise), but never go "over" the industrial fan (except for the voice samples)
4- add different reverbs (should go from far to fucking far) and panning to the sound, delays can be good too
5- compress it all together (and maybe also dd a return with the compression and mix it with the dry one)
6- reverb it all together but not to far
7- now mix that with a version of itself compressed to shit

also use minor scale

mostly the game is you have a single transforming sustaining sound, you bring things in and out by meshing it with the noise that serves as foundation, you are basically "pointing" at frequencies inside it, and by it you are making it evolve harmonically in the short term, while implying melody in the long term

thank you so much, wow couldn't ask for a better tutorial.

obviously thats just a basis then you got to add your drone-knowledge to make decisions to make it actually good

also its the other way around, "melody" on short term and harmonics on the long term

hey lads trying some jazzy shit for the first time. though i think the melody is kinda hard to follow, nad there are too much going on. what's your first impression?

clyp.it/of5mlzq4

WOW I recorded my fans and made a sample loop then just by adding reverb it already starts to sound close to what I want.

I feel that in 0.16 it could use some lyrics sung like the way Turner sings in Balaclava like a pseudorap but with a voice

seriously, I never thought of sampling my fans, I'll try to sample my vaccum next and do some shugazi type of thing lol

come on i was being hyperbolic, but you know i mostly got it right, the track you posted uses a sustaining kind of pink noise that sounds like what you would hear on a place with industrial fans; its gonna take you a while, maybe you should add resonators, or mix the fan with some pedal-apocalypse guitar feedback, but thats the recipe, you got the main noise and you substract freqs and exchange them for reverbed repetitive filtered melodic loops with long release on that same freq

How is this sounding? It's a little repetitive at the start, still need to add a few things. Thinking of just removing the snares starting at 1:38 cause it sounds basic?

clyp.it/2dejgjp1

Yeah that's the point.
I want to put my vocals throughout the track but I come up with boring lyrics with boring melodies

I wasn't being sarcastic my dude, I had no idea I could use fans like this. It makes sense too since the guy that made the song made his album in a psychiatric hospital. He must've used some fans there. I still have a long way to go though, all you that you said about resonators, fundamental-based sounds, transforming sustaining sound, etc... makes no sense to me yet. I'm still a beginner in all this.

bass sounds out of key rather than jazzy desu

>sample an industrial fan
lol'd hard

definitely caught my interest

I didn't start to feel the repition until 0:45, then it quickly fell off... i would've preferred to hear some quick sonic fuckery and some quick intricate rapping drop in. i would've lost my shit lol. rest of it pales in comparison to the beginning

how is the production quality on my noise song clyp.it/gwnhg5cb

well it made me uncomfortable so good job i think?

you didn't even listen to the whole thing you don't know what a true lack of comfort is

im sorry then m8, i thought you were suspiciously effusive

best you can do is look for info on google, what i gave was just the quickest recipe i could think after hearing the track on my laptop speakers, i could be completely wrong but thats the way i would approach it for the first time, then i'd give it more tries by learning of my past mistakes and reading more on it

a resonator => en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonator
fundamental-based sounds => youtube.com/watch?v=FzeZbJceKZE
transforming sustaining sound => a sustained sound, that gets "transformed" in time without stopping to sustain itself, if it makes sense. Like get a vst , put attack decay and release down, sustain up, make it play it for X bars, and then automate the filter, thats a "sustaining transforming sound", its not a technical term, just a way to explain that, in my view, the kind of drone you posted in based in having the full spectrum sonding on sustain and then editing the character of specific frequencies, by superimposing other sounds in the sections of the spectrum you want to work in, along time

clyp.it/of5mlzq4

yea still working on the chords. the thing i'm worried about is the complexity though. were you able to figure out what was going on during your first listen?

alright, thanks again. I managed to do something, it's not as good and a lot more simple but you've been very helpful!

Hi /prod/, anyone got any leads on some quality drums for lo fi hip hop? Friend asked for a generic lo fi Hiphop song for some cheesy travel video he is making. I only make lo fi beats for shits and never finish them, definitely going to need some new drums.

pics related is my bedroom setup currently, tv and vhs are for sampling.

just keep learning and don't expect to finish tracks in marathon sessions, biggest mistake is doing a 16h drug fueled session per track, work like 4hs per day a full week, then don't listen to it for 5 days, then come listen to it, figure whats sounding off and do another 4hs per day full week, etc, etc

Some time ago i heard that ableton doesn't have real panning, is this true or did i just buy a meme? I remember the solution was to use an audiorack with two -6db channels and the pan was the inverse relationship between both channel's volume?

That's a good advice too, I definitely have the tendency to rush my stuff. I can't really work 4 hrs a day on a single track but I'll try to do 1 hour on average per day.

4hs is max before ears stop working, 1 is perfect, i would push to 1:15-1:30 to have some time to acclimatize before the hour is up

>not producing 16 hours a day seven days a week
not even trying baka

for real, if i don't get at least 4 i feel like i wasted the day

I feel like i'm buying a meme just replying to this

process your own..? i found a "flying lotus" pack on /r/drumkits that would probably work if you don't want to put too much work into it.

what part are you worried about? it's not that complicated sounding imo. the lead and bass clash too hard at 0:29 tho

clyp.it/xnxg3ge4

wip feedback?

The criticism (and the meme) comes from Ableton not having true panning on stereo sources, which when you think about it is not what you'd want anyway - think about it for a moment.

Ableton (and most mixing consoles) have a left/right balance control instead of a panning control for stereo channels - the balance control reduces or increases the levels of the left or right components of the stereo signal to shift the stereo image but it never pans the right signal to the left or the left signal to the right.

This is intentional - pseudo-stereo effects rely on phase shifting a lot of the time to achieve the stereo separation, if you used true panning (separate panning for left and right channels) on a pseudo-stereo source you'd be able to send some of the left channel to the right, and it would phase cancel with the right-hand signal due to the pseudo-stereo processing. Vice-versa with the right channel being sent to the left.

Not all stereo sources are pseudo-stereo, but even with true-stereo mic recordings you'd run into issues with cancellation when using separate panning controls for left and right - not saying that these issues are impossible to avoid but what I am saying is that it's one of the reasons most stereo channels use left/right balance rather than true, independent panning.

so your saying its true but its good?

doe i have one more question, i don't comprehend how panning is achieved if its not by balancing the volumes of l/r? or are you saying ableton does this but it also prevents phase cancelation?

iirc whenever i wanted to pan stereo sources (almost never) i just through on utility and shifted panorama. not that big of a deal lol

>even with true-stereo mic recordings you'd run into issues with cancellation

only if you're a noob at recording tho

Even with mono signals panning is achieved by reducing the left or the right yes but it's a single signal being replicated on both left and right channels, think of a stereo channel as being two mono channels - there are different signals being sent through the left and right channels and the whole point of stereo is that these remain separate, panned hard left and hard right. employing true panning on them would mean that they are no longer separate.