/classical/

Stop underrating Liszt edition.
youtube.com/watch?v=0_FCTTmr8JM

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. Too lazy to write up a description for this, but it has a little of everything
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PD4C1voDDfU
youtube.com/watch?v=_IKy0iDkK6w
youtube.com/watch?v=X_tXqQlFdcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZtSFfXfqg
youtube.com/watch?v=GEqX8UXimYg
youtube.com/watch?v=79etYWWA3r4
youtube.com/watch?v=WOAGAZIsieQ
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3630171
youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI
youtube.com/watch?v=kbiHIb2OXSc
youtube.com/watch?v=ogJgsQwVXgw
youtube.com/watch?v=nALKce_oU6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8H_m3m0Eg
youtube.com/watch?v=7tne33CUd0U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=PD4C1voDDfU

Name five (2x10-15) pieces that are undoubtedly patrician in any way possible. I'll wait

Four seasons - spring, summer, fall
Canon in D
Two steps from hell - Heart of courage

Petzold minuet
Variations over a theme by C. Petzold
Fugue on the name Petzold

Petzold

In The Hall of the Mountain King
Ride of the Valkyries
Hungarian Rhapsody 2

Bach = Telemann + Vivaldi

>*plays octaves on low registers and scales*

Wow, what a genius.

nope.

Why are you only listening to his meme concert pieces?

Carmina Banana
Coronation Te Deum
Finlandia
Mysterium
The Nutcracker

Or did you mean just from Liszt? I was just following the others' leads.

how do we fix /classical/?

What do you mean? Newcomer here. Just been downloading some music recently and it's been so moving, so I figured I never come on Sup Forums, I should check it out.

Isn't that a strawman for all music?

Kys

Liszt is almost 100% meme concert pieces.

Who's a non meme piano concerto composer?

mozart

>Années de pèlerinage
>Nuages gris
>Die Zelle in Nonnenwerth
>Die Trauer-Gondel
>Via Curcis

Just off the top of my head
Give them a try

Liszt sucks ass, let's be real.
This. The last ten of his piano concertos are simply extraordinary. Especially 21 and 23.

He sucked Chopin's ass, but their love was pure and it in no way stops his late compositions from being great

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=_IKy0iDkK6w

youtube.com/watch?v=X_tXqQlFdcQ

There's no better aria than this one, prove me wrong.

pro tip: no one can

youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZtSFfXfqg

Fuck y'all. Liszt is great.

>nope
???
youtube.com/watch?v=GEqX8UXimYg
youtube.com/watch?v=79etYWWA3r4

Les Preludes
Lohengrin
Akhenaten
Trouble in Tahiti
Billy Budd

bump

>Not paying attention to Furtwängler, who was rehearsing a symphony, Rachmaninoff sat down at the piano, looked at his watch, and thunderously struck a few chords. Perplexed, Furtwängler stopped. He looked at Rachmaninoff, who showed his watch and said, ‘My rehearsal time was ten-thirty.’ With no further exchange the rehearsal of the concerto commenced. After five minutes or so, Rachmaninoff walked to the conductor’s stand and began to conduct. The orchestra had two conductors – Furtwängler, bewildered, and Rachmaninoff, swearing in Russian.

Kek

Even in the "meme concert pieces" Liszt is fascinating. The 1st piano concerto has a very intricate structure, for example

Finished Fischer-Dieskau's book on the relationship between Wagner and Nietzsche yesterday. Really fascinating how it all functioned, although reading about Liszt's death was particularly saddening: how he basically sat through a performance of Tristan whilst dying of pneumonia, trying to suppress his coughs, trying to keep Cosima happy. A hugely interesting web of relationships overall

>how he basically sat through a performance of Tristan whilst dying of pneumonia, trying to suppress his coughs, trying to keep Cosima happy

Now there's an example all concert-goers should follow. All jokes aside, that's pretty tragic.

>General Folder #8
Hey, creator of General Folder 8 here. Uploading the complete prokofiev symphonies performed by valery gergiev.

Btw, laughed my ass off at "loves the yellow piss of DG on his face"

lemme know if you want more recs

get the old posters back. we keep leaking posters for some reason.

is this /pseud/ general?

Yes.

Does anyone have that ravel orchestral works album? It's not on soulseek.

Bach-sama

classical is objectively the best genre. sure, we have our pseuds but what general doesn't?

Yeah, the dynamics are really interesting. You've got Cosima living with (and having children with) Wagner while still married to Bulow. Then there's Nietzsche who is Wagner's #1 groupie for many years yet who also cultivates a close friendship with Bulow despite this.
But Liszt, who had previously been very close to Wagner was estranged as a result of Cosima and Wagner's relationship (Princess Wittgenstein hated it even more, even though she had done something fairly similar herself). Eventually he is reconciled towards the end of his life when Cosima and Wagner get properly married, at which point he's become a religious man and goes to Bayreuth not as the great virtuoso but more as an anonymous figure amongst the crowds of Wagnerites.
And then after he dies he is buried in Bayreuth. Weimar, Hungary and Rome all demanded that he be buried there, but Cosima would only allow that if certain criteria were fulfilled (in Weimar, he had to be buried next to Schiller and Goethe, who were themselves buried next to the royal area; in Hungary, he had to be given a full state funeral). It's almost like he becomes buried under the Wagner mythos.

I always had the impression that Nietzsche was close to Wagner, but that it was one-sided affection?

It was sort of a two-way street. Nietzsche originally saw Wagner as some Schopenhauer's philosophy on art/music made manifest, believing that Wagner was going to bring balance to the Apollonian/Dionysian model which had been steadily decaying in modern times.
He was brought into the Wagner household as a young man partly because Wagner needed a propagandist to help him fight his corner in the musical debates going on at the time, leading to Nietzsche basically torpedoing his scholarly reputation in The Birth of Tragedy which took a long time to recover. There was however genuine affection between the two, even if Nietzsche probably cared more about Wagner than the other way round.

The more I read about Wagner the more he comes off as a son of a bitch. Awful man, great music.

Sometimes I feel as if he took his most "asshole" qualities and put them into some of his heroes (Tristan and Siegfried)

I thought that at points, but I'm more convinced that he was just so focused on his music that his awfulness was more a side-effect than his actual goal. I mean, the whole thing with Ludwig II is quite saddening, how he basically spent his whole life trying to buy Wagner's affection by acceding to all his demands for money, but to be fair it's not really Wagner's fault that Ludwig decided that was the best way to achieve it.
But taking the anti-semitism for example: it was probably down to Cosima more than Wagner; there's a letter from Levi (Jewish conductor who was very good friends with Wagner, conducted the first performance of Parsifal - although Wagner himself conducted the ending, which was apparently quite something) in which he basically says the Wagner's anti-semitism stems from some "loftier" ideal about preserving art and whilst it's very misguided, it's not necessarily malicious.

>says the Wagner's anti-semitism stems from some "loftier" ideal about preserving art and whilst it's very misguided, it's not necessarily malicious.

Yeah, it's pretty clear from Religion and Art that he mostly dislikes their faith, not necessarily their race.

>Obviously, it is not Jesus Christ, the Saviour, whom our military clergy praise as a paragon in front of the assembled battalions, before the beginning of the slaughter. Even if they name Him, they really mean: Jehova, Yahweh or one of the Elohim, who hates all other gods other than himself, and who wants to be enchained to his beloved people.

Cosima is another case altogether.

youtube.com/watch?v=WOAGAZIsieQ

crudblud is obviously posting again

which tripfag was that again, i forget

used to do classical sharethreads years ago

This is your Beethoven for tonight.

how do you know?

>we keep leaking posters for some reason.
Final exams? I don't think the last 3 threads even broke 100 posts. We're in as pitiable state as /jazz/ at this point.

compare general folder 3 and 7

liszt is the bomb! chopin is better, but he was one fine musician

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3630171
Should have all that double album and a little more

What is a "meme concert piece"?

If I liked Rite of Spring what should I listen to next that's similar?

More Stravinsky, of course. Go for his other ballets, Firebird, Petrushka, etc

Bartók - The Miraculous Mandarin
Varèse - Ameriques

And, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, Harrison Birtwistle's "Earth Dances".

I wish I knew, if you want some great orchestrations try Daphnis et Chloe

Thanks a lot. I don't know much about this sort of music since Rite of Spring used to make me nauseous for some reason when I was young, so I just stayed away from him and similar music until recently.

money

Seinfeld (underrated)
youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

This is acceptable only when you're a actually good composer.

Rachmaninoff is safe then.

Or a good conductor, which he most certainly was. He was offered more than a few lucrative conducting posts, including the BSO, but he turned it down because he preferred being a soloist.

According to Stokowski, Rach was also a huge troll. The kind that plays it so straight, you'd wonder if they were joking or not. He was honestly probably just fucking with Furt.

lol

>Or a good conductor, which he most certainly was.
He probably was no Furtwängler.

>According to Stokowski, Rach was also a huge troll. The kind that plays it so straight, you'd wonder if they were joking or not. He was honestly probably just fucking with Furt.
Any source on that? What was Rach like?

Post Bach

Not him, but I suspect he's referring to this (2.38)
youtube.com/watch?v=kbiHIb2OXSc

Hi user, can you please recommend some avantgarde-ish, but melodic orchestral music like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=ogJgsQwVXgw

Cute.
>great music
lol

Thanks user.

>Wagner
>not great music
What are you a jew?

>30 minutes of orchestral wankery going nowhere with some tiny sprinkles of inspiration once in a while
>great music

I find Mahler to be a much better sleeping aid. At least his music ends after I've fallen asleep.

>30 minutes of orchestral wankery going nowhere
That's cute.
Try 3 hours instead.

>I'm too stupid to understand the order and structure in Wagner's music, so I'll just pretend it's all random

That's the point you philistine.
It's almost like you don't like edging.
Go listen to some Tchaikovsky you damn plebeian.

To be fair getting used to Wagner is anything but easy.
That said once listening to Tristan und Isolde becomes effortless, and once you can study his scores, you're in for a great ride, in fact one of the best rides available to human beings.

extremely ded

How do we resurrect /classical/, fellows?

With anime

youtube.com/watch?v=nALKce_oU6Q

Was late Beethoven the absolute madman?

no

o-ok

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8H_m3m0Eg

Beethoven's 8th > 9th.

youtube.com/watch?v=7tne33CUd0U

Listen to more classical music. Then you'll have something to discuss about.

I for one stopped posting because that guy with the /pseud/ memeposting is right. Getting discussion going in these threads is extremely hard. I had to samefag for a dozen posts before anyone actually riffed off one of them. To actually do anything here besides share links you have to LARP as a curator of the thread, come up with personae with different musical preferences to try to figure out what jives with others and what doesn't, and then come up with the perfect hook-up line... And most dialogues I had were with 2 people (a singer and some other guy, a pianist if I'm not wrong) to the point where I can now almost discern who I'm talking to just by their wording style.

When a handful of people (3 or 4, pretty much) make 90% of the discussion here, you know the general is pretty much running on fumes. No point in a glorified share thread imho, especially when people post the same shit over and over again.

It gets boring.

Pastorale > garbage > the rest of his symphonies

>classical is a genre

the final movement of the 8th is Thoven's best final movement

>When a handful of people (3 or 4, pretty much) make 90% of the discussion here, you know the general is pretty much running on fumes
It shifts throughout the year, honestly. We have some pretty ded moments, but sometime last year around the end of Summer there was considerably more postings and IPs in the thread.

Best classical crossover

Yeah, the job of "curating" used to be the domain of the trips who were able to generated conversation through their personalities which were often designed to be quite provocative in order to merit discussion. Actual discussion happened because there were genuinely knowledgeable people attracted by the posting, but the job of bumping the threads was done by CLT and friends, with a combination of shitposting and some actual discussion.

In other news, Cinquecento seem to have been the only group to do a recording of Willaert's Quid non ebrietas, which is interesting because it's a piece with a fair bit of scholarship concerning it which usually means it will get recordings.