What does Sup Forums think about learning an ancient language?

what does Sup Forums think about learning an ancient language?

currently going to study Old Norse or Akkadian

useless waste of time, unless you plan on being a historian

This.

Wowee, you learned an old language that maybe a few hundred people speak, for profession and historical purposes.

Inb4 OP is a faggot child and has the idea speaking old words = wet panties.

Not worth it. They're dead languages that only a tiny fraction of people across the world know how to speak.

why?

/thread

makes you a hipster faggot cunt who should drink bleach and die

Seems like a bad idea. Just learn something that people still use. If you learn too dead of a language who would you speak it with?

Learn Spanish gringo ;)

We taking over

Seems useless.

However, and I'm not sure if it counts, but I've learned quite a bit of Latin and if you know just a little bit, it makes every Romance language super easy to learn.

ITT: cultural relativism

If it's just as a hobby/interest kind of thing, and you have the time and money, I don't see anything wrong with. I don't see it being very applicable in daily life, unless you're going into a field of that kind.

Another 5'4 Mesoamerican peasant who's jealous of our 5'10 blue eyed white girls?

You know what they say about Mexicans. They marry for the face, because the women always get fat.

My reasoning for learning old norse is comparable to your point; although, I'm probably going to stick to majoring in german

it would be a hobby. I dont see how braindead someone would have to be to think they'd use it oustide their sphere

Don't listen to this faggot OP

If that works for you, go ahead. I don't know much about the languages spoken in Europe, but if it's interesting to you, then by all means go for it.

Right, I'm jealous.

Enjoy pumping kins :^)

Convenient if you use it to learn its various descendant modern languages.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Yea, you could do this too.

Lucky thing about Mexicans, even the older natives who speak nothing but Spanish only speak on a 3rd grade level.

I went from knowing zero Spanish to having full conversations in 3 months by teaching myself with a fucking app on my phone.

Every conversation between two Spanish speakers is so fucking basic, it's like,
>I'm tired
>Why tired?
>because work
>work is tiring
>yes
You can learn this shit in your sleep.

>captcha: CITY MEXICO

planned on branching out to icelandic and some other northern scandies

if i chose akkadian, i would just use it to pass the time while off work

its remarkably easy isn't it?

i didnt really understand why some people couldnt pick it up. I've been working at german along side dutch for 3+ years

Fucking stupid.

Once you realize just how close Spanish and English are, it's a breeze, you could understand shit just by common sense.
>Oh wow, this guy is saying his son is going to a "Universidad" wonder what that could mean.

Right now I'm trying to pick up Japanese, because my work has me travelling all over and I wouldn't mind retiring to animeland, and THAT shit is hard. You need to learn like 3 new alphabets and every fucking thing.

I was originally going to study japanese. Hiragana and Katakana are super easy if you've got flashcards, but the kanji take an assload of time to gain proficiency.

it's a waste of time but it's your time so waste it however you want.

How would you recommend learning it?
Because as cheap and shoddy as it sounds, I learnt Spanish and a BIT of Vietnamese from a free app called Duolingo and that shit makes it pretty easy.

i recommend anything you can get your hands on from livinglanguage to Rosetta stone. Duolingo is fantastic for vocabulary but offers next to shit for grammar and culture. Also once you start picking up speed you should consider getting movies and maybe podcasts in your desired language if you want to teach yourself.

im all for it, if its an interest of yours go for it, i my self would love to learn sanskrit

As people said it is a complete waste of time. At least learn the language that foreign guy you work with speaks. You might make a friend.

Unlike what most people in this thread are saying it doesn't have to be useless. Learn akkadian, then sumerian cuneiform, then make your contribution to cracking the code of the Indus Script.

We need to know what those people were writing. Help humanity undrstand itself.

That's something I aspire to do

BASED
A
S
E
D

master English cum rag. Maybe then you will not be so cringey

/thread

>implying learning is wholly limited to your mother tongue

I think he was trying to say "first things first"...

quints of truth

Holy shit.

oh shit here we go

fucking asshole quintss kys