youtu.be/R6Cpz90QQsc
youtube.com/watch?v=9fdj3DGyx8U
youtu.be/2G1wT-Co308
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=a3FqlHa3Vwc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what is dark
is it spook music?

Sometimes, yeah

What is Tom Waits's most /dark/ album? I'd say it's Alice.

Reposting the two best posts:

>explaining horrorpunk
I must admit, I'm not up-to-date when it comes to this but I loved it and dug deep into it as a teenager. Similarly to neofolk it's defined more by lyrical content than purely musicological criteria (although mimicking horror soundtrack type music, clear vocals and LOTS of "woah woah woaaah" are typical) so there's a lot of different styles within the genre, the most clearly defined subgenre being psychobilly which mixes horrorpunk with rockabilly and is characterized by its fast-paced acoustic bass-slapping.

Obviously you should know the Misfits, both their original line-up with Glenn Danzig on vocals and their 90s reincarnation with Michale Graves on vocals:
youtube.com/watch?v=IFxwq7tgPiY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-EiITf1YI

and here are some other groups I remember fondly, but remember that corniness is a big part of the charme and should be enjoyed unashamedly:
youtube.com/watch?v=Te3LWfrvhYc
youtube.com/watch?v=50cLXy2HnEw
youtube.com/watch?v=1MB31HK1-tE
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ks8Z4v5g8s
youtube.com/watch?v=jrF15mv9zVU
youtube.com/watch?v=vJQkqD5eV3g
youtube.com/watch?v=Lr2TUzVRaTc
youtube.com/watch?v=lnfe9RbSu6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=k3inXzw0f_8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGiX4mcNxN8
youtube.com/watch?v=4zWRuZGtR_U

and here's some psychobilly:
youtube.com/watch?v=1W6BWNyo5bM
youtube.com/watch?v=YURIawFji9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7sOGLza6Nmw
youtube.com/watch?v=Z7OmOAtfxJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=JLeBfnQAmwk

I also recommend the "This is Horror Punk!" compilations. Good shit, many cool underground bands.

>explaining neofolk

First off, with neofolk you have to know that there are multiple "lineages", two of which date back to Death In June and Current 93. The Death In June lineage is more martial, politically revolutionary and more concerned with "apoliteia" (what exactly that is is for you to find out) and the writings of the Konservative Revolution and "fascist" occultism while the Current 93 lineage is less serious and more folksy aesthetically and concerned with all kinds of esoteric traditions. Here are two classic albums you should know, but really the discographies of both bands are mandatory, huge and rewarding:
youtube.com/watch?v=TVD8iww-cfs
youtube.com/watch?v=wsDsTxsh9V0

I am most familiar with Death In June's lineage of martial apocalyptic and apoliteic folk (which does not mean that they or any of the musicians in this field are necessarily nazis, fascists or right-wingers). Given the thematic element that is crucial to this kind of music while the only real musical criterion is reference to European musical traditions of forgotten times, many different styles of music can be encountered here although repetitive acoustic guitar strumming, martial rythms, snare or tribal drums and flutes/trumpets/synths, monotonous male vocals and wind chimes are typical. Here we go:
youtube.com/watch?v=A0FXliKdbac
youtube.com/watch?v=Bu0sI4h-Ixw
youtube.com/watch?v=Vpw8dnEp9u4
youtube.com/watch?v=InE-xcB59EE
youtube.com/watch?v=MIdx54jQTI4
youtube.com/watch?v=_oCOJ9HLW5s
youtube.com/watch?v=PzbHvqN5RSw
youtube.com/watch?v=L0nYLDjskXo
youtube.com/watch?v=otKSw-iCefE

German neofolk is kind of its own lineage though tied to the DI6 one. It originated in Forseti so here's another classic:
youtube.com/watch?v=Th4v_KHNTME

The Moontrekkers - Night of the Vampire
youtube.com/watch?v=D8oBFIwB5rA

warning: 45 Grave and Siouxsie both suck.

Everything else on here is good stuff

John Murphy is NOT dead!
youtube.com/watch?v=LHKft53rJzI

>45 grave sucks
Kys

In the case of the thread's content, it means you can post and discuss music relating to Goth (and its sub-genres), Industrial, Post-Punk, Post-Industrial genres (like Industrial Rock, Aggrotech, EBM, Power Electronics, Power Noise, Electro-Industrial, Industrial Hip-Hop, Neofolk, and so on) and other music tied to music that is for all intents and purposes described as dark with some relation to the aforementioned styles.

I swear I see people dancing like this at the goth club all the fucking time.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPw7nlluRdc

Im guessing this child doesnt like female vocals

I make early industrial flavored synth punk and power electronics.

soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/haunting-the-underage-room

What's some good post-industrial that incorporates acoustic elements or generally steps outside genre conventions as far as instrumentation?

neofolk?

Any of you guys going to see pic related this tour? Im excited

Industrial hip-hop considering the artists also use instruments and techniques in relation to hip-hop.

For me horror punk starts and ends with the Misfits.

that's a shitty attitude, my man

Black Goat of the woods

Well it's nice enough.
Related
youtube.com/watch?v=CIpyBeBpC74

Are there any recent neofolk releases I should know about?

Or possibly the Black Rider

They'd dance that way to shit like that too. It never ceases to amaze me how varied goth culture is: terrible dancers, decent musicians, great aesthetic, highly value the music instead of dress, and politics doesn't apply all that well.

fucking I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E album, I've been obsessing over it all week
fantastic baritone vocals, super moody & sad, fucking great catchy & cool post-punk/dream pop instrumentation
Lowlife is criminally underrated

Bump

This is some really far out shit, the vocals especially.
These threads are too broad for that to even be a legitimate question. It's a shame /experimental/ never took off because it just doesn't make sense to group primarily acoustic melodic genres in with entirely electronic rythmic focused ones.

>Siouxsie
>Bad

Trash trash trash

What does /dark/ think of /dark/ bloops?

authorandpunisher.bandcamp.com/album/bong-ra-vs-gore-tech-vs-author-punisher

Real Gone or Blood Money.

those first 5 albums were my fucking jam in the eighth grade, I would have had a field day with this chart.

2 dark

Siouxsie & The Banshees were the best pop band of the 80s though.

>tfw added distorted synth sequences and repetitive industrial beats to this and it's suddenly an 8/10

Why were the Yugoslavs so good at making /dark/ music?

youtube.com/watch?v=NB9YIdQ3UjE
youtube.com/watch?v=NxoH2GotiSI
youtube.com/watch?v=FMynLsfJ63I
youtube.com/watch?v=usUPr_c1pGY
youtube.com/watch?v=SJsaWXt9GqM
youtube.com/watch?v=ZaCnFU_8aLE

Because Yugoslavia was the most industrial country ever (yes even more than Nazi Germany).

youtube.com/watch?v=F5yI0iyoBUc
Better

love them but this isnt dark enough
the closer to power electronics the better

>>jail

yikes

what is /dark/ opinion on dubstep dark ambient?

what sexa album?

Am I the only one who digs Killing Joke's "sellout new wave" years as much as the early post-punk and later industrial metal material?

youtube.com/watch?v=XeP5nNur37A

Anyone got an ethereal/darkwave chart or some reccs?

I like stuff like Lycia and early cocteau.

obviously yeah
but as it is, it's just boring as fuck
>still being impressed by this album
wew lad do you shit your pants every time you switch on a news channel?

No.
youtu.be/9XKLdLet6Pk

It's my favorite part of their career. I thought Pylon kind of hearkened back to that era.

geordie walker's always comes up with such fantastic guitar tones
that guy should honestly be as revered as people like keith levene and andy gill

Probably my favorite guitarist of all time in all honesty. Nobody does menacing arpeggios better than him.

Some more "new wave" Killing Joke.

Adorations
youtu.be/qV-cYH8udSk

Killing Joke's new wave period makes a lot more sense when you listen to the original versions of the material that they recorded during that period, rather than the versions of that material which were heavily influenced by their record label.

The "real" version of Brighter Than A Thousand Suns(that is to say, the one that eventually got released in the mid-2000s, the one that was mixed and produced by Chris Kimsey) largely feels like a perfectly natural and tasteful evolution of what they were doing on Night Time.

youtube.com/watch?v=71b7c43iMqo
youtube.com/watch?v=_GU-rxu6cDc
youtube.com/watch?v=iYSVw74_Eaw

Bass guitar is much more prominent, there's less reverb, the keyboards serve more as an atmospheric flourish rather than as one of the leading instruments, it's just a much better and much less awkward sound for a Killing Joke record.

But since Night Time ended up being a considerable commercial success and their label wanted to make the band as big as The Cure, they brought in a second producer and had him remix and soften up the record until it ended up sounding like something quite disconnected from what the band was about in the first place.

youtube.com/watch?v=v5MftVtnU_k
youtube.com/watch?v=3CKKDDiBERE

I'm glad to see that BTATS has gotten its reappraisal in more recent years though.
At the time of its release it was seen as a massive fuckup and betrayal by the band. These days it mostly seems to be seen as a solid but inferior follow-up to Night Time(which isn't all that shameful considering that Night Time is one of the best rock albums of the 80s).

>considering that Night Time is one of the best rock albums of the 80s
Utterly agree with that.

>A New Day

one of my favorite KJ songs

TOUCH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
TELL ME I'M STILL HUMAN

Thats not type o negatives essential album ... change it to October Rust or bloody kisses

So what is the consensus on this album, then? Came out after BTATS. Big Paul Ferguson was fired. Paul Raven quit. Killing Joke synthpop?

I think it's their worst. 6/10

America
youtu.be/aqLhCei_Nxw

>I think it's their worst.

It absolutely is. For my money, the only genuinely bad album KJ ever made.

what the fuck

the main town near me is called lebanon, and the town next to lebanon is hanover

this sounds EXACTLY like The Chameleons

GETTING THE JOKE

They’ve recorded inside a pyramid, invented their own language and threatened to buy their own
army. Welcome to Killing Joke’s world……
• Killing Joke were formed in West London in1978. Metallica, Foo Fighters, Amen and Fugazi have all covered Killing Joke songs and acknowledged them as a major influence.
• Jaz Coleman once claimed to be saving up his Killing Joke royalties to buy his own army. Fortunately, he changed his mind.
• In the late 80’s, fearing the imminent coming of the apocalypse, Coleman and guitarist Geordie decamp to Iceland to await the end. They ended up working with Bjork’s first band The Sugarcubes instead.
• After using a poster depicting Pope Pius blessing Nazis to advertise one of their gigs, Killing Joke were once banned from playing in Glasgow
• Killing Joke don’t like journalists much. Jaz Coleman once conducted an entire interview in his own made up language. On another occasion, the band gaffa-taped a journalist’s mouth shut for asking stupid questions.
• In the late`80’s, Killing Joke bassist Youth was committed to a mental hospital after being spotted walking down London’s Kings Road burning handfuls of money during an acid trip. He then developed a successful second career as a pop producer, producing albums for the likes of Tom
Jones, The Verve and Paul McCartney.
• Killing Joke guitarist Geordie auditioned for the vacant guitarist spot in Faith No More after Jim Martin’s dismissal. When the band told him he’d got the gig, the urbane guitarist turned them down, saying, “you’re far to suburban, I wouldn’t dream of working with any of you.”
• Using bribes to Egypt’s Ministry of Culture, Killing Joke managed to record part of 1994 album ‘Pandemonium’ in the King’s Chamber of the Great Pyramid, over the course of three days.
• Jaz Coleman helped to change the official language of the New Zealand national anthem to Maori.

>• In the late`80’s, Killing Joke bassist Youth was committed to a mental hospital after being spotted walking down London’s Kings Road burning handfuls of money during an acid trip.
>He then developed a successful second career as a pop producer, producing albums for the likes of Tom Jones, The Verve and Paul McCartney.

Of all the bizarre shit surrounding Killing Joke, this is still by far the weirdest aspect of the band to me.
And you forgot to mention(aside from the Iceland incident) Coleman's tendency to disappear for weeks on end without telling anyone where he's heading.

I could never get into this band because every aspect of their sound seemed to me to be ripped off from some other band.
They always seemed more like a very blatant collection of influences than the band members' own band to me. I might as well listen to Joy Division/the Bunnymen/U2/The Chameleons etc.

This is a really haunting song though.

youtube.com/watch?v=TCHTuRjfOAE

Central Pennsylvania?

Godflesh and Prong have covered Killing Joke too

youtu.be/wwzl6ALSpRw

youtu.be/R6Cpz90QQsc

The early version of Godflesh, before they were actually called Godflesh, actually named themselves after a KJ song as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=9fdj3DGyx8U

And doesn't use the internet. At all. He's a smart motherfucker though.

youtu.be/2G1wT-Co308
Jaz talks at 4:20

Don't you dare to call Gesaffelstein shit

Calm down spaz, I meant in the general sense.

>dubstep
You have to be 18 or older to post here

So theyre like the bogdanoffs of the music industry or am i being memed?

>tfw I unironically masturbated to this

does this count?
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=a3FqlHa3Vwc

I think the obvious answer is Coil, but since you already know that im listing their side projects

Thighpaulsandra
Cyclobe
UnicaZürn
Electric Sewer Age
Aural Rage

Imagine getting a call from Lord Grichka. I would be speechless...

Did any /dark/lings bought the recent Swans/Gira bundle? I'm amazed there's no rip yet