Does anyone else think Shaun Morgan from Seether tries to sound like Kurt Cobain?

Does anyone else think Shaun Morgan from Seether tries to sound like Kurt Cobain?
First Example (More Twangy in his early years like kurt.)
youtube.com/watch?v=lyYwr9NDg10
Second example (Now he sounds nothing like that.)
youtube.com/watch?v=v7uOXHMhaO8

Other urls found in this thread:

blabbermouth.net/news/fans-note-similarities-between-seether-and-tool-songs/
youtube.com/watch?v=ET3-t1jFmo0
youtube.com/watch?v=FZLILV18ut8
youtube.com/watch?v=mF53On_P7qI
substreammagazine.com/2015/04/did-seether-intentionally-rip-off-brand-news-daisy-for-their-new-single/
metalsucks.net/2017/05/15/did-seether-rip-off-tool/
rock108.com/james-patrick/2017/03/03/did-seether-rip-off-chevelle-and-live
reddit.com/r/Music/comments/290z7m/seether_completely_rip_off_mad_world_and_brand/
za24h.com/story/celebrities/277680/seethers-new-song-let-you-down-similar-chevelles-take-out-gunman.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4NMxwbn_QoU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Does anyone else think Shaun Morgan from Seether tries to sound like Kurt Cobain?
that has always been a commonly held belief. he tried to sound, look and act like like him. no he's given up on that and has tried to sound more southern rockish. thus is the way of the post grunge artist. starts off trying to sound like one of the big 4 of grunge and eventually tries to be country/southern rock (shinedown, seether, staind).

UH yeah no shit everyone knows that Shaun rode his fame off kurts death.

He's recently been accused of ripping off a riff from TOOL.
blabbermouth.net/news/fans-note-similarities-between-seether-and-tool-songs/

That being said Seether is a great band. Shaun had a big Kurt phase like all artists do. He still has a great personality and high charisma during shows and loves his fans.

>like all artists have a Kurt phase
wtf?

Seether is fucking garbage. On the same level as shit like Staind and Linkin Park.

Meant as in all artists have a phase of loving a certain musician.

meant for

Explain. What's your idea of a

Sure, but not basing their whole career around looking and sounding exactly like them.

>Explain. What's your idea of a
user died making this post

I hate Seether but don't think this is completely accurate. Probably idolized him yeah but the fucker never acted like him in person or live at all

Sure just
>sang like him
>dressed like him
>covered nirvana live
>dated another singer from a famous band
>had an addiction problem
Yeah nothing at all

>in person
we're talking about music here

It's still a valid point

No it isn't
No one gives a fuck if if he acted the same or different, it makes no difference to the point that his music and image were a literal rip-off

>Music was a ripoff of nirvana
>Names no songs or examples
Sure I'll take random music major basement dweller's opinion on music

Remedy is the only song I've heard from them and it's so shit that I'm not going to listen to any other.
It's pretty obviously a Nirvana rip, if you can't hear that then that's your problem to live with.

not the same guy, and i didn't listen to seether growing up but how can you be this dense? not only is he dressed like kurt, but he's using one of the same types of guitars kurt liked to use (Mosrite) and the same brand of amps kurt used (Mesa Boogie), he's at least trying to sound like kurt. plus, he is known for covering nirvana live often.

Cite how it's a nirvana rip? If it's the only song you've heard then don't tell me you can make an educated argument as to how he rips nirvana off music wise.

TIL covering Nirvana live and using brands another singer/guitarist used makes me unoriginal and shitty. Got it. I'll remember not to rip off Angus Young next time I play my SG. Or not to rip off Layne Staley next time I wear leather.

>TIL

So automatically that subjugates anyone to being a Nirvana rip off because they
>cover them
>uses their kind of equipment
>wears clothes that kurt wore.

So basically this is what makes you a rip off artist is making sure you constantly don't do anything like another musician. What jackass actually believes this shit.

I'll let this guy decide which one he is.

One song is all it takes.
Other than his vocal style being exactly the same? It's like he's in a Kurt Cobain impression contest, don't pretend you don't hear it.
Literally every other comment on Youtube points it out.
Same distorted power chords chorus, and twangy clean guitar verses.
This is such a pointless conversation, it's not really debatable. It might be better for you to explain how that song isn't a Nirvana rip.

i'm saying that if some guy dresses like another artist (pic fucking related), uses the same equipment, and is known to play their songs a lot. it's pretty reasonable to assume that they are trying to be like that artist. i don't want to actually listen to more seether to prove this, but if you want me to to find examples i will.

So basically your argument is. You tell me how it's not a ripoff and then come back. Weak argumentative point you've got there. Again most rock bands do this shit. Metallica did this, Iron Maiden did this sometimes, Skid Row, etc your argument is unfounded and has nothing supporting it that is logical.
Flannel and striped shirts= common clothing for rock bands
Raspy, twangy voices= Common for rock bands
hard power chords and melodic choruses with minor key tonality=... STILL common for rock bands.
You're wrong.

So was Layne Staley from Alice in Chains ripping off Danzig with the leather jacket? God forbid two musicians wear clothing they enjoy. You'd rather them not dress how they'd like and label them as rip off artists for dressing how they enjoy.

Pic related

Pic related..

NIGGAS calm tf down. First off nig nogs tell me one time Seether has smashed their instruments on stage, showed their dicks to the camera, stage dived, let fans on stage, made Songs about abusing themselves, self hate, made a noise track (hairspray queen) or even made a punk rock song in general and maybe just maybe then you'll convince me

here's my follow up
>OMG he sounds like kurt in this song :oo
>damn he sounds so like kurt cobain
youtube.com/watch?v=mF53On_P7qI
>justin bieber says "im the kurt cobain of this generation" and im like "nah man i think your referring to Shaun Morgan"
even the youtube commenters can tell he at least vocally sounds like kurt. and i already mentioned how he's trying to get the same guitar town as kurt by using the similar equipment, he vocally sounds like him and other people notice, and here he's wearing almost the exact same outfit kurt wore. he was trying to be kurt for most of their career.

He can sound like him all he wants. This doesn't prove he's trying to be Kurt. What about Gotye and peter Gabriel? Because the two sound similar this automatically makes him a rip off artist? Shaun sounds similar to Kurt and I can agree but that doesn't automatically label him as a ripoff artist. Also, theres been tons of people wearing red striped shirts.... you're still not proving anything.

So let me get this straight. If I go and find a picture of Kurt Cobain in a certain outfit, right? Any outfit and find a singer like, maybe from Chevelle. I find they're wearing the same shirt. Does this make Chevelle a rip off of Nirvana's image in your eyes?

Hairspray Queen isn't the only noise track nirvana made idk where tf people get that from. Scentless and Milk It and many fucking other songs on Incesticide are noise songs... I get sick of hearing that bullshit but in reality Nirvana and Seether both suck who gives a shit

Scentless Apprentice isn't a "noise track" idk wtf makes you believe a song with actual meaning behind it makes it a noise track

here's an excerpt from the Allmusic review of one of their albums
>Seether's lead singer/songwriter, Shaun Morgan, is an unabashed, unapologetic worshiper of Kurt Cobain, using Nirvana's sound as a template for Seether and, more importantly, interpreting Kurt's teenage angst as something entirely un-ironic and confessional.
everyone can tell he's trying to sound like him, but it's extremely watered down because that's what post-grunge is. he wears his influences on his sleeve to the point were it's distracting how much he tries to sound like kurt. i give him credit that he does sound passable as kurt for a few songs, but why would i want to hear kurt cobain play post-grunge songs. now he's trying to sound more southern rockish with his vocal delivery instead. also nigga he even had the same dye job as kurt

stop paying attention to just one aspect of the outfit you autist. he wears flannels, dyed his hair bright read, wore eyeliner, and wore striped read sweaters. he's trying to look like kurt. which, coupled with the fact that he vocally tries to sound like him and uses the same equipment means he's trying to be like kurt. or at least he was until Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray

Again he has a similar voice yes? No shit people will think they sound alike but their music in general has no similarities behind it at all. Nirvana was a harder band than Seether would want to be, more punk rock oriented where as seether is more towards their rock roots with songs like "Broken" which bear in mind is probably their biggest hit (Kurt Cobain never wrote a love song in his life) Shaun gives too much of a shit about his music to try to be like Kurt Cobain. Kurt gave 0 fucks about what he produced (Hairspray Queen, Mexican Burrito, Milk It, Scentless Apprentice) Tons of singers dress alike and sound alike but legitimately make music that sounds nothing like their predecessors. Yet, you keep taking one aspect of someones image and the fact that they sound alike and are using that as a way of comparison rather than making an argument based of objective comparison of true facts in the way they make their music. Fine Again is not a song Nirvana would make, Broken is not a song Nirvana would make, Fake It is not a song Nirvana would make, and Remedy is too close to major key tonality to be a Nirvana song. End of discussion.

But to be honest how could you make a fair comparison of their music to Nirvana's if you only know one Seether song 00 results (0.42 seconds¯\_(ツ)_/

This nigga copy pasta'd the shrug emoji gtfo lol

>¯\_(ツ)_/
honestly can't tell if you're baiting, but i'm not the guy who only heard remedy before.
hold on give me a second to dissect your shit post and shit life. even if this is b8 it's fun.

Go ahead. I'll be waiting for your response.

You gonna tell me how Nirvana made songs in 4-4 and Seether does too so that makes Seether a rip off of Nirvana?

>Again he has a similar voice yes?
yes because he wants to be like kurt
>No shit people will think they sound alike but their music in general has no similarities behind it at all.
bruh fine again sounds like if kurt lost all songwriting ability. it has the same clean guitar tone with slight chorus that kurt used and does the clean verse distorted chorus kurt and the rest of the grunge guys used. the main reason he's a kurt ripoff though is because how much he's trying to sound like him vocally.
> Nirvana was a harder band than Seether would want to be, more punk rock oriented where as seether is more towards their rock roots with songs like "Broken" which bear in mind is probably their biggest hit
they don't sound like "rock" (i'm assuming you mean hard rock or something) they sound like nickelback and creed and other bands that were just trying to water down grunge music.
>(Kurt Cobain never wrote a love song in his life)
his lyrics were more abstract, he didn't write about individual subjects, but he did touch upon love on some songs
>haun gives too much of a shit about his music to try to be like Kurt Cobain. Kurt gave 0 fucks about what he produced (Hairspray Queen, Mexican Burrito, Milk It, Scentless Apprentice)
all of those songs are babies first noise rock. all of shaun's out put is him trying to be Nevermind era Nirvana. But since it was the 00s, all of his riffs are more nickelback-ish fake grunge. he's trying to vocally sound like kurt, but he's also a no talent songwriter apeing off of current trends.
>Tons of singers dress alike and sound alike but legitimately make music that sounds nothing like their predecessors.
yes, but do they also try to sound just like the guy they are dressing like? if so, they are ripping them off.
(cont.)

TL;dr Nothing you've said yet is factual. All opinionated with no explanations behind this. I sure hope this isn't the extent to your argument.

Okay I'll admit I'm wrong if you tell me what songs of Seether rip off what songs of Nirvana

Also grunge isn't a genre. Any person who's educated in music in the slightest can tell you that's bullshit they used to make music sell. Also if you think him using similar tone is a reason for why he rips them off then I guess a lot of bands post 1994 are then in your eyes

(cont.)
>Yet, you keep taking one aspect of someones image and the fact that they sound alike and are using that as a way of comparison rather than making an argument based of objective comparison of true facts in the way they make their music.
what the fuck are you talking about objective? it's music dude. it's hard to weigh objectively without weighing the melodies and chord progressions. but even that's not indicative of how one is ripping off the other. he sounds just like kurt, uses the same equipment as kurt, uses the grunge loud/soft dynamic like kurt, dresses like the kurt, has said before that he wanted to become a musician because he heard Nevermind, and he has been known to rip off other artists in his later career
>substreammagazine.com/2015/04/did-seether-intentionally-rip-off-brand-news-daisy-for-their-new-single/
>metalsucks.net/2017/05/15/did-seether-rip-off-tool/
>rock108.com/james-patrick/2017/03/03/did-seether-rip-off-chevelle-and-live
>reddit.com/r/Music/comments/290z7m/seether_completely_rip_off_mad_world_and_brand/
>za24h.com/story/celebrities/277680/seethers-new-song-let-you-down-similar-chevelles-take-out-gunman.html
>Remedy is too close to major key tonality to be a Nirvana song
>what did he mean by this

>Drain You
>In Bloom (chorus and bridge)
>Lithium (for the most part, has slight modal change in chorus and bridge)

and this is just from Nevermind. also most of the songs (with Smells like Teen Spirit, Drain You, and Breed being the exceptions) don't have fixed modes. they are both major and minor at times.

> TL;dr
stop with the reddit speak also of course you can't have literal proof he ripped him off unless you have a statement from him saying "i ripped off kurt cobain"
remedy is ripping of both his vocal style, dynamic changes (not unique to him, but popularized by him, and guitar tone. and i only know their hits dude. you want me to dig through their back catalog.
of course it's a marketing scam, but that doesn't mean a lot of artists from that local scene didn't have similar musical style (soft/loud dynamic changes) that post-grunge artist ape.
>I guess a lot of bands post 1994 are then in your eyes
yes. creed, seether, nickelback, bush, marcy playground

It is literally the most known thing in music that he's spent his life being a cringe kurt cobain impersonator. Still some good songs though.

TL;dr You still haven't proven how they're rip off songs. What songs of Seether rip off in bloom, lithium, and others. You still haven't proven that he ripped off Kurt. He can be inspired by him all he wants. Still doesn't make him a direct rip off of Kurt Cobain or one at all actually. Also (soft/loud dynamic) holy shit it's like rock/metal music hasn't been doing this for years and years!

Cite the songs that sound exactly like Lithium and In Bloom

Not him but put all your seether cds out, close your eyes and randomly select one. Go to track one and its a nirvana rip off.

i provided five examples of him ripping off other artists in the last decade. he hasn't stolen any specific nirvana songs (as far as i know) but he was the biggest kurt wannabe for all of the 00s and ripped off his voice and guitar style.

i didn't say that. you said kurt never wrote in a major key and a pointed out 3 track from nevermind that are mostly in major.

True. You're right about the major key. If there are no direct nirvana rip offs then I guess that means Seether = not a nirvana rip off. Also just because the dynamics of the songs are similar to those Kurt used. (And millions and millions of other artists before him) doesn't mean he's directly ripping off nirvana or at all

So his vocal style (something he legit sounds like) makes him a direct rip off artist of Nirvana. Got it.

Singing style, dress style, way he's living his life (oh no i got a big bad addiction (drinking though to be safe) and im in a doomed relationship with another singer. Also lyrics and guitar.

>If there are no direct nirvana rip offs then I guess that means Seether = not a nirvana rip off.
that's not how it woks amigo. just because he never plagiarized an individual nirvana song (as far as i know) doesn't mean they arent a rip off you aspie. he's obviously a kurt fanboy who sings and acts just like him. also he's already been shown to plagiarize other artist's individual songs now that he's creatively bankrupt

>So his vocal style (something he legit sounds like)
then why has he stopped sounding like kurt now that he's ripping off other artists? as soon as Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray came out he switched vocal styles heavily

Really? Where's the lawsuits? Also you had yet to prove to me he intentionally fucks his voice (which is better than kurts) to sound like Kurt :)

Sounds like a musicians life to me.
>layne staley
>Andrew wood
>sid vicious

His voice naturally changed all of a sudden to country rock when he had exhausted the Nirvana catalogue.

He legit still sounds the exact same.

Non of whom dressed, sang, or wrote music like nirvana not even layne.

Your examples of him being like Kurt oddly match his life up to theirs. I guess that dense mind if yours couldn't comprehend what I meant though.

he stopped singing like kurt. there's no lawsuits because it's not worth the musician's time for the royalties. just listen to the songs. he even had one in his fucking "songs i wish i wrote" spotify playlist

"well aye can't stand ta look at yer nooow"

I wish I wrote a lot of songs. A lot of musicians do. Especially when they love a certain band. Your argument is still unfounded.

Maybe I should link you to the video. Because this isn't how he articulates this line at all. Lol

yep
are you telling me he sounds the same in these two songs? yes or no

youtube.com/watch?v=4NMxwbn_QoU

Really it isn't? There's been a lot of lawsuits to very small bands for plagiarism.

the song he was accused of plagiarizing just happens to also be in his "songs i wish i wrote" playlist and it's just a coincidence?

Idk , I still like the guy. I hope he doesn't die from auto-erection suffocation like Clint Cornwell.

I just joined to post that. I think shaun is an embarrassing kurt fan boy but im not getting involved in the debate.

Absolutely lol. Maybe you're drunk.

if they can't concretely prove it in court it would be a waste of money for little royalties and juries are fickle about this stuff

He seems like a nice guy.

I still cringe whenever I see this band though and remember I used to like them during my insanely edgy high school years.

nigga legit how do they sound alike? listen to this country song and tell me with a straight face he didn't intentionally change his vocal style to stop sounding like kurt

They legit sound the exact same. Nothing about his voice has hardly changed at all

>i got baited by the greatest andy kaufman-esque performer of our generation
either that or you're an idiot. you wanna just do a fucking straw poll?

Sure. It only takes one person to be right however, at one point everyone thought the earth was flat. Only took one person being right. :)

making the thread now

Looks like the side of "Seether did rip them off" is winning the poll. Good discussion from both of you even though even though you both are assholes.

ITT: every newfaggot from Sup Forums and r*ddit argues one person with a valid criticism

Fuck off with your buttrock, children.

Are you literally on the autistic spectrum m8