What is their best song/album?

My vote goes to Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Echoes/dark side of the moon

Hey You and goodbye blue skies are a personal favorite though

best song is remember a day
best album is atom heart mother

imo

I second Echoes. Meddle is great.

Go listen to the Animals album. It is superb. Heavily underrated.

Song: Shine on you crazy diamond
Album: Wish you were here

remember a day is so underrated, I listen to it when it rains

Song: Dogs
Album: Dark Side of the Moon

Picking my favourite Pink Floyd album/song is kind of pointless though because I love so much of their discography.

Saucerful Of Secrets is p best.

Sid Barrett Album , the performance on youtub where he's staring really focussed when the other Roger joined then Echoes, Obscured by Clouds , DSOTM is the end , when Dave starts using tracer pickups it's motorway music all the way, but Sid's influence is so strong it still resonats beyond them

he was a true psychonaut

>song
Echoes or Atom heart mother
>album
Animals or Wish you were here

Are you high on spice right now?

>Atom heart mother
Psychedelic Breakfast but the rest of it is Rik Wakeman core

where were (You) last night?

So I'm just getting into Pink Floyd for the first time (heard a little growing up, obviously) but even being a fan of prog, a lot of it sounds extremely indulgent to me. I feel like 2/3 of their songs are just an excuse for a long ass guitar solo. Or Dogs which has three or four 3 minute guitar solos. It just makes me want to roll my eyes, like fuck get over yourself.

Who's with me?

P.S. I liked Meddle, but Pipers sounded like a Beatles record to me.

>Pipers sounded like a Beatles record to me.
try hard, listening to some Spanish language 60s rock they're more like The Beatles than the Beatles. Get your dissertation ready man

>I liked Meddle
glitch detected

You tell me, Muad'Dib

>

this

Best early song: Jugband Blues/Echoes
Best early album: Saucerful of Secrets
Best song in their prime: Time
Best album in their prime: Animals

Album: Dark Side of the Moon
Song: Time

Right on the nose. Animals and WYWH are fantastic albums, very consistent and rewarding to listen all the way through. Echoes and Atom Heart Mother have the best of pre-Dark Side Floyd.

When Pink Floyd wrote their songs they would come up with ideas in the studio, piece them together, and play them live while improvising. So those parts aren't excuses for a guitar solo, they're just parts that happen to be before it.
And Pipers was the only album Syd really worked on (Jugband Blues from Saucerful was also his). I'm glad he was forced out of the band, although I do like Pipers.