youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_6_4Ciziw
youtube.com/watch?v=-Napr5zJ-LE
youtube.com/watch?v=TGoQEAv-Gho
popmatters.com/review/186437-elliot-smith-beyond-the-persona/
youtube.com/watch?v=9AmB2zhHvHI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why's he so sad

He was different

Either/Or and S/T are my favorites, but his discography is pretty consistent. I think FABOTH would have been his best had he lived long enough to finish it. Figure 8 is my least favorite.

Heatmiser is also worth checking out. Mic City Sons and Cop and Speeder are underrated indie classics imo.

Just picked up Figure 8, I like it but I read he was trying to make it a "happy record" and it shows. Feels a little forced but "Somebody That I Used To Know" and "Son of Sam" are excellent tracks. From A Basement On The Hill took me awhile to get to like and XO I loved immediately, "Waltz #2" is I thin one of his best songs. That's all of his studio albums I have. The majority of my favorite songs of his are all on Either/Or but I can't find it at any record store in town.

I picked up a book about him, "Elliott Smith: Autumnal de Wilde" that came with a live album. His cover on it of "All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down" is worth the purchase of the whole book/album set, its great.

FABOTH was a tough listen for me at first. XO is a very likable record and I think he really hit his stride with that one.

I'm familiar with the cover (and agree that it's great) but I had no idea that it came with the book. I want to look for a copy now.

Have you heard anything from New Moon or Roman Candle? The latter in particular has some of my favorite guitar work by him.

Abused as a kid and then addicted to drugs to suppress the memories of it.

I think Roman Candle sounds pretty happy. I think it's all the twinkly guitar sounds

One of the greatest songwriters of Generation X, if not *the* greatest. He never wrote a bad song. His guitar playing was unbelievable. The fact that he could play a song like Tomorrow Tomorrow AND sing at the same time shows how skilled he was at guitar and performing in general.

His lyrical themes tug on your heart strings. Elliott was a storyteller and wrote about peculiar things in life that we often overlook or don't think about.

His best record is New Moon in my opinion. It's incredible how it's a record of outtakes that he didn't deem good enough to put on his albums yet every song on there is a journey.

wrong

>i wanna hurt him, i wanna give him pain
yah real happy

No u

I think he was best live, even though he would often fuck up his songs.
His concert in sweden in 98 was probably his best show,it was immaculate.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sh_6_4Ciziw

Roman Candle is his best album.

he is my friend I've never had

I discovered elliott smith in freshman year of high school in the 2000''s.
Now he is ruined by plebes who saw that one episode of the science man and jew boy.
So im going to pretend i dont know him so i dont look like someone who posts on reddit

>"Everybody's dying just to get the disease"

What did he mean by this?

Heroin addiction.

all i used to be, will pass away, then you'll see, that all i want now, is happiness for you and me.

I wish this made X/O

youtube.com/watch?v=-Napr5zJ-LE

>I discovered elliott smith in freshman year of high school
>Now he is ruined by plebes
kek

Elliott's unreleased music is incredibly underrated.

youtube.com/watch?v=TGoQEAv-Gho

Yup, FABOTH would have been even better was he able to finish it the way he wanted. i understand the family didn't want to release songs like 'suicide machine'... but they probably should have. Ostrich and Chirping is also quite annoying.

Figure 8 is my least favourite record by him(still great). I think he was trying to find a sound that would add to his songs and maybe give him some of the success he deserved, but it didn't quite work the whole time. He came closer with FABOTH

Yeah, his guitar playing is just fantastic. It's really impressive without ever distracting from his songs, and he really knew when to lay off it- twilight and say yes are probably the best examples of this for me.

New Moon just shows how dedicated he was to putting out the perfect album regardless of how many good songs he had. Either/or is one of the best sequenced records, up there with abbey road imo

Read that Elliott was listening to alot of MBV when he was getting sober in 2003.

I wonder what FABOTH hill would have sounded like if he had another year to tweak it.

You can surely hear him teasing with noise on "Strung Out Again" and "Kings Crossing"

Also "Don't Go Down" and "Coast to Coast"

What's the source for that user? I guess it makes sense in the context of the album

I haven't heard any songs from Roman Candle yet, but I love New Moon. I like the early version of Miss Misery better than the Good Will Hunting version

Read it in a book about Elliott, called Torment Saint. Great read.

popmatters.com/review/186437-elliot-smith-beyond-the-persona/

>Schultz takes us through Smith’s musical self-education and diverse influences (in his early years, The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Jackson Browne; in his final years, My Bloody Valentine). Smith actively and fervently studied popular songs through repeated listens for structure, singing style, and lyrical content.

Shame he didn't care for "I Figured You Out", I think it's my favorite song of his. I don't really know why, I just think the melody is really pretty and it gets stuck in my head for days on end.

Quasi who were friends of elliott smith and also his backing band sometimes are a good band

youtube.com/watch?v=9AmB2zhHvHI

The live album it comes with is "Live At Largo" and aside from the cover comes with Angeles, Between The Bars, Clementine, and Clouds. I Wished it was longer.

I've been meaning to listen to him for a while now. What album should I start with?

either/or pulled me in initially

are you more into lo-fi, or good production value?

happier or sadder music?

Roman Candle, if you like rustical authentic sound and feels.

Another Factoid:

Joanna Bolme, the bassist in Stephen Malkmus' band, dated Elliott Smith. She is also an engineer, and mixed one or two of his albums. She appears in the Baby Britain vid.

She also helped put together the unreleased, posthumous compilation togethet.

Listen order that I like
1.Either/or
2.s/t and XO
3.Figure 8 if you liked XO
4. Roman Candle and Basement on a hill

Listen to new moon whenever. New moon is most sonically similar to his self titled. It has the same bassy guitar, stripped down sound

Mic City Sons, the heatmiser album is pretty good. Listen to it whenever, but probably after you're already a big fan.

Then listen to grand mal, the 8 disc collection of unreleased elliott smith music. The first 4 discs are new songs, and the last 4 discs are alternate versions of old songs you've already heard. You can find grand mal to download somewhere on the web.

Then listen to the soundtrack to heaven adores you. It has some new songs.

If you listen to all this stuff, there won't be much left you haven't heard of his.

Don't bother with "An introduction to Elliott Smith" because it's basically a greatest hits comp.

I have looked and looked for albums that capture similar a melancholy-yet-coolness that Either/or does, and I have found a couple that come close: Pinback's first album, and Kitty Craft's beats and breaks from the flower patch.
Check them out if you want

Then watch all the movies that have elliott smith in them. They're usually good. American Beauty, Paranoid Park, Good Will Hunting, Up In The Air, Royal Tenenbaums

PSA: Beck's Sea Change is not actually very similar to elliott smith, and neither is slowcore like sun kil moon and carissa's wierd.

Thanks for reading

Jesus how insecure are you?

tfw

>tfw you'll never see Elliott Smith in concert