I was reading in a thread and someone mentioned Layne Staley. I forgot about him. Was he a good guy...

I was reading in a thread and someone mentioned Layne Staley. I forgot about him. Was he a good guy? Anyone have any stories about Layne? Seems he's been forgotten.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ssSL9rAPczI
rollingstone.com/music/news/alice-in-chains-to-hell-and-back-19960208
rememberlayne.com/blog/
google.com/amp/www.stereogum.com/1820955/new-alice-in-chains-book-reveals-courtney-loves-suspicion-that-kurt-cobain-didnt-commit-suicide/news?amp=1
youtube.com/watch?v=P91fz-cNgU8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=ssSL9rAPczI

I met Layne once after his concert once at their hotel they were staying at. first thing he says to me is that he feels like his dick was lifting a bus full of fat kids. Shit you not. I still don't know what the fuck that means but I laughed my ass off. We got to talking and he said he hadn't been feeling well I could tell something was bothering him.

anybody got the copypasta about the dudes uncle picking him up from school when layne died?

Layne and forgotten don't even fit in a sentence together. I got to see Alice once and I was front row. Layne saw me with my girlfriend and said "wear protection you'll need it" best night of my life. Lol

Layne was a fucking great guy. No one will tell you otherwise he loved all. I was at a Metallica concert once and they started shit talking Layne. I left as soon as that happened. Of course back then it was only rumors he was on drugs bad. We didn't know how bad.

>Me and my friend Paul were making fun of the spanish kids with velcro shoes in 7th grade shop class and next thing I know the loudspeaker goes off and has the guidance counselor on ittelling me to report to the office, I go in and my uncle Darrell who I havent seen since I was a toddler was standing there with this look of emptiness and shit. “Get in the car dude,” he said and I am thinking the worst has happened. Well I ask what was wrong and he just looked at me and said, “Layne OD’d,” and I asked him who the fuck that was. He took out a cassette and popped it in the tape deck, cranked the volume up, and passed me a joint even though he knew I never smoked before. We took off and Alice in Chains – The Rooster played all the way thru, we were both stoned silent the whole time and my mind was completely blown. “That singer is dead now man,” and from there on out I have just had this insane outlook on life.

Thank you

There's video of this shit on YouTube you know. I bet James feels like shit about that everyday

I was fortunate enough to meet Layne at a nightclub once. He walks up to me and asks who my sister is dating. I told him his name and asked why he was interested. He pointed down at his bare feetand said "cause that's the asshole who stole my shoes" I didn't know what to think

It was a shitty thing to do, but imagine the predicament Metallica was in, the frustration of trying to find a new opening act at the last fucking minute. It doesn't help were all full blown alcoholics. James especially, and the easiest way to deflect your own problems is to shine the light on someone else as a distraction

They were cool with each other by the aic unplugged performances though.

Apparently he was big into vidya in his last years alive. someone on here mentioned he was a fan of MGS.
No idea about the validity of that though

Jesus Christ how many people met this motherfucker

He was the rarest of talents.

I was in the Florida on holidays when I was a kid. We were queuing to get into some restaurant on international drive.

A bunch of guys with long hair breezed in through the queue. My mam started loudly saying "who the fuck are they".

Mfw when Layne turned around and I nearly died. I said to him I was sorry for her outburst and he smiled.

I wandered over to him later when i went to get a soda refill. Got talking for a few minutes, he bust a nut when I said he was amazing but I could take or leave the rest of AIC as a band. Got a signed napkin off him and that was that.

Super down to earth guy, amazingly talented. Its the one death I've never really gotten over.

A lot of people. He was a very social guy. He always met fans when he could and enjoys talking to people.

My brother Lynn was one of Laynes friends in his later life. He worked at a coffee shop Layne would go to. My bro can confirm on this. Dude loved MGS and Gek apparently.

He made a forthright comment before he died , it seemed like he was aware he was stuck with his addiction. It was a very sad death

He was. His dad is a genuine piece of shit. He got Layne hooked on that shit and then he got off.. Layne didn't.

To be honest I'm glad Nirvana was bigger than Alice that was we can enjoy them more. Would be annoying seeing these 14 year old girls running around singing Man in the Box like they do with Smells Like Teen Spirit. Layne was possibly the best vocalist of the 20th century. His technique, his range (incredible), and his very strong belt. He was a great singer.

I saw Layne Staley at a grocery store in Seattle on January 2001. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “O--oh, ummm uhh l-like you’re doing n-now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? shit... huh? huh?” and closing his gloved and rotten smelling hand in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle and mumble as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to shuffle out the doors with like fifteen bottles of cough syrup in his shaking hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and unsteadily brought them to the counter, mumbling something about needing to poop.

She took one of the bottles and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “t-to prevent a-any electrical interfettence,” and then turned around and winked at me, his rotten
and loose teeth in a grin. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly. He dozed off multiple occasions. He's wake up startled and mumble 'fuck'.

When he came to, the price was something like 100 bucks. He tried to pay with black tar heroin residue in his pockets but the cashier obviously didn't accept it. He took off his show and removed a wad of fives and slapped the how thing down on the counter and waited for the cashier to pick through the wet looking bills.

When the money was counted, he collected the wad of bills and walked out of the store with his cough syrup. He left his shoe behind.

Really eye opening stuff.

Layne knew everyone and made sure he did. He loved people and was a very caring guy. he was so cool on stage.

I met him the same year with some friend of his at a baseball park. He was so strange and constantly mumbling. His friend told me Layne was on crack and wanted to make sure he was alright. He looked horrible. Surprisingly didn't smell bad, but you could tell he was fucked in the head.

Layne was an amazing person. He wasn't right in the head because of drugs in his life that fucked him up.

Mike Starr possibly?

Layne had More friends than Mike dude probably not.

>could take or leave the rest of aic
Kek, jerry was aic

Jerry wrote the music for sure. The guy needed Layne though. Layne wrote great eery lyrics that really brought a song to life. Jerry's voice is good but isn't strong enough imho to sing lead by himself on those tracks. I couldn't be a bigger dick sucker of Jerry though.

no way

Turning the steering wheel hard to the right and stomping his foot on the gas, Alice in Chains' lead singer, Layne Staley, accelerates full speed into the back of a stopped car. Grinning widely, he slams his open-top vehicle into reverse and glances over his shoulder just in time to see a Wiffle ball descend in an arc toward him. Staley shifts his bony hips, reaches his left arm out and catches the sphere in a scoop that resembles a cross between a squash racket and a jai alai cesta. Then he floors his car back to center court, where he passes the ball to Alice's guitarist, Jerry Cantrell, who is waiting under a small goal. Cantrell flings the object from his scoop and into the goal. A buzzer sounds, and a red light illuminates. Two points for the Alice in Chains team.

rollingstone.com/music/news/alice-in-chains-to-hell-and-back-19960208

Pretty sure everyone knows this

his mom is fucking weird

like she capitalized on his death with books and lots of media shit

And they said, “Oh I wouldn’t do that.” And I said, “I can do this.” I’ve always promised myself that if anything happened to my children I would be there for them. And I went in, and he was tiny and I thought at first that he had made like a life-sized mannequin of himself because he had lots and lots of art projects always. And I thought, you know, somebody could have thrown that little guy over their shoulder and walked down the street and nobody would have even know that it was a real person...so, and I sat with him for a few minutes. And I told him that I was really sorry how things had turned out...." [53]

whoops!

There's a really depressing article about his final days. Easily found through google.

"Since our music is so depressing, everybody expects us to run around in black and whine about shit," says Kinney. "But that's such a misconception. We just get together and fuck around. We're like the Monkees or something."

Nigha jerry wrote nearly all the lyrics too

Wasn't he dead in his apartment for about 2 weeks before they found him?
Sad.

No he's right it's pretty well known Layne was the lyricist of the band. Jerry was the writer of the music.

On a copypasta related note, has anyone got that one about Thom Yorke and the sex machine in his hotel room?

Staley wrote 3/12 lyrics on facelift and half of them on dirt. His voice was integral to the aic sound but jerry was definitely the brain

I don't think he liked his parents very much.

Not really, jerry wrote nearly all of dirt and at least half of the lyrics of their later stuff

>Apparently he was big into vidya in his last years alive.
confirmed

"After dinner, Cantrell, Kinney and Inez return with Staley to his house, where they stay up until 5 in the morning, smoking pot and playing video games. "

Jerry wasn't the lyricist. Most of their later stuff was Layne. Sap and facelift are the exception. Layne wrote the lyrics on nearly all of tripod jof and dirt.

Almost true except the dirt part they went half and half. Hell even rooster was about jerrys dad I think

Which Alice in Chains song gets you most, user?

Down in a Hole for me.

"I found out through the Internet that I have AIDS,"

Brother

Rotten Apple.

never knew this existed

Most amazing thing about AIC was harmony between Cantrell and Staley's voices. It was some magic sort of music.

This is why i can't into Duvall. He's not bad and has voice, but there's no such harmony anymore and i can't feel this magic.

Their new stuff is not that bad though, Check my brain is cool and your decision too

Either Nutshell or Sludge Factory.

Agreed. Great band still. I believe DuVall is a cool motherfucker but Layne is Layne. You can't replace someone like him.

Rain when i die

when a band loses its front man that's the end for me, see also all these other acts still going with someone else

We die young

Like. Just change your damn name. You're not Alice anymore without Layne. Nirvana didn't continue without Kurt for a reason.

Nah m8, the only album laybe wrote more lyrics than jerry was tripod and jerry still wrote 3 of em

Chris was a fucking GOAT.

Stone Sour, RHCP, Megadeth already paid tribute and covered Soundgarden songs on their shows.

I feel warm as huge grunge fan that Chris got such reputation and acknowledgement

like cannibal corpse, they were just never ever ever . . . the same without Chris, I'm not saying the musicians aren't as good as they get (which they are) but the front man is the relatable personality

I get you still want to play with your brothers, but why not just Joy Division/New Order it.

Chris was great. His song with Alice is a pretty damn good one. Chris and Layne could do no wrong.

>soundgarden and aic
>grunge
When will this meme die.

Born Again

along side us as we blow out one by one

I know that AIC and sometimes Soundgarden have more metal style and are heavier, but i still consider them as part of grunge "scene". It's not about music style only.

I always considered Seattle big four as same scene and i will always continue to

I'MMMMM THE MAAAAAAN
IN THE BOX!!

so true, so true

Theyre definitely alt metal, they sound nothing like the other grunge bands but yeah i assumed it was simply because of location and looks

Met Layne once in 90 and he gave me his phone number because I hit on him. I'd call him every now and then to see how he was he was always wanting to talk. He had a gf named Demri I think and he loved her. He talked to me about her once and said he was going to marry her. I called him the day after she died to tell him how sorry I was for his loss he answered said "I gotta go.." and hung up. I didn't talk to him again until 2000 when I saw him at a gas station. I barely recognized him. He came behind me covered my eyes and said "guess who behind you, you must" I was worried about him. I still haven't gotten over his death. He was a sweet man.

Holy shit I'm in tears

>All these Americans who met Layne IRL
>Me from Georgia(the country) huge fan of AIC
>Can't even visit Seattle
>Lucky motherfuckers

I hope can visit Seattle one day and put flowers on Layne's grave if there is one

Facelift: 8 jerry, 4 layne, 1 together
Sap: 3 jerry, 1 layne, 1 kinney
Dirt: 7 layne, 5 jerry
Jar of flies: 4 layne, 2 jerry
Tripod: 9 layne, 3 jerry

FWIW jerry seemed to write the majority of their hits

This might be my favorite Layne story I've heard so far. He was so sweet.

Yeah this is true. However, they're both great writers.

He apparently was getting better until his girlfriend died, however I didn't know her name until now thank you user

rememberlayne.com/blog/

Ran by a friend of Demri and Layne. A nice place to see personal stories from.

I like Tool show where Maynard is singing Opiate (i think) and then Layne suddenly appears and joins him

Layne loved doing shit like this. I hate that (it was mainly drugs that did this) he was so lazy. He could've done so much shit. He apparently wanted to sing a song with Kurt Cobain in his years but never asked.

Did Layne and Kurt know each other well? what was their relation?

How do you not break down every day crying over that story.

No argument there, one of the few duos who ever gelled seamlessly

He talked to Kurt they liked each other to my understanding. They both had very similar personalities except one was an introvert (Kurt) and the other was more of an extrovert (Layne) I could see Kurt getting along with someone as caring as Layne

Demri a cute

Good article on Layne and Courtney Love
google.com/amp/www.stereogum.com/1820955/new-alice-in-chains-book-reveals-courtney-loves-suspicion-that-kurt-cobain-didnt-commit-suicide/news?amp=1

>tfw its freaking strong rain here with thunderstorm
>tfw i'm going to turn on Rain when i die

AND DID SHE CALL MY NAAAAAAAAME
I THINK ITS GONNA RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN

Fuck that's tough. Probably Got Me Wrong or Real Thing

Is that the cat jerry got After layne died? It was in jerrys cribs episode (which was very comfy)

Someone as attractive as Layne had to have a great looking gf obviously lol

“Layne shot me up first a couple of times. Then Kurt shot me, and then Layne shot me after that and I died, for like 11 minutes.” -Mike Star

lol

That vocal line is chillingly powerful, i have no words for it

Couldn't be. Demri died way before Layne or do you mean is it the one Layne left him? Sorry have trouble understanding things sometimes

amazing album

"No Excuses" is very emotional tbqh lads desu.

"You my friend i will defend and if you change, well i'll love you anyway"

Gets me all the time
Basically Jerry was talking to Layne via this song

Strange to me. There's never been a band so open about there own situations so beautiful to ever exist. I don't think we'll get that ever again.

Layne was a great guy is that even a question? Tbh before I knew he had a gf I always though he was gay. Just the way he dressed and acted.

Wasn't he bisexual? Thought he was.

He just didn't give a fuck what people thought.
In his first band, Alice N' Chainz, he dressed in drag.

Layne was very liberal when it came to social stuff. Great guy. Very open minded man. Also confirmation on him being bi?

I saw them live and I feel like my gf wanted to leave me that night because she saw Layne.

layne fighting a neo-nazi

youtube.com/watch?v=P91fz-cNgU8

Well I have heard from people that he was bi but nothing official. He was like Kurt in that regard, not necessarily outcasts but they came from a very different side of society that tended to stick up for the downtrodden and the freaks, something that isn't really seen in its pure form today.