Hello Sup Forums help thread maybe?

Hello Sup Forums help thread maybe?

I'm thinking about trying to build a house. I've sketched out a rough draft of the general idea but I don't know anything really about home building.

Right now I'm thinking a 25x25x25ft building of some sort. Idk anything about building materials, I want cheap but I'd like it to last because I plan to live here indefinitely. I'm wanting concrete layed for the foundation. I've realized foundation is really expensive but idk if it will be as necessary for my plan.

Once the concrete is layed I'd like it coated in something to make it smooth. Then I can mount a back board and hoop on the wide side.

Across from that wall, starting from the ceiling and coming down about 7' for the floor. 10' long and as wide as the building at 25'. Giving me 250ft^2.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/cMD2Vch
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm thinking no carpet, just a shower and the toilet in a small bathroom and leaving the rest open if possible.

Electric stove, electric hot water heater, efficiency sink. The land I have had a natural well I can tap into for free water but I'll need to get a Brita or something cause it's irony. There's already electric ran down the main road I'll be on so it'll be easy to get electric ran. I'm hoping the same with sewage but idk anything on that part.

I'm going the timy house from the ceiling works out. The lack of supports could be a killer so that might be a necessary change unless someone thinks different and can tell me what to look up.

I've always hated losing stuff so I try to keep as little stuff as possible. I have some big items but really I could fit all my possessions in a 10x10 room. Couch, tv, bed, everything. I'm hoping that will help lessen the need for supports.

I'd appreciate any advice, I'm posting this on a few other places so I figured I'd start with Sup Forums.

In particular

For what I'm doing is a full foundation like a real family home would have necessary?

Is having waste services ran to a new home expensive in your experience?

What's the best, cheap building material? Doesn't have to look nice. I try to be practical as possible.

With just being anchored to the ceiling would it be safe to live in the home or would some supports be absolutely necessity?

Also lots of windows across the front.

As of now I'm thinking of a flat roof with gravel and tar sealing it. The only problem is in my area there is sometimes severe snow about 3 months of the year. I'm sure this is a problem but there might be a way around it. I'd like to use it as a patio kind of so maybe a raised open roof area? Most of the snow will roll off the slanted roof and to the ground. I could leaf blower whats left in the mornings so it doesn't build up too much and it'll be along the edges where there's the most support anyway.

Dont. You have no idea what youre doing. Just buy a tiny house... or a tough shed and insulate it

I'm not planning on heating or cooling the court area, but I am putting multiple windows around it and eventually garage doors I'm sure when I'm older and can't play as much.

I'm planning to hear with electricity if possible and if it's not too expensive. Right now in my current apartment I'm paying about $50/month for gas heat and it's great, so hot but I figure that's one more cost to have connected.

I'll deal with summer with a window air conditioner since it'll be open it should work pretty well.

I don't really want a tiny house. I'm just tired of paying a membership fee to play on an indoor court all the time and paying rent every month when I have open land just waiting to be capitalized on. I'm not getting younger so I killing a couple birds with one stone.

If I could find a prefab I liked I'd be interested but I feel like it'll be cheaper to do it myself.

I'm just settling for the tiny house to keep cost down and get the ball rolling on saving for retirement. Cutting out reoccurring costs and all that good stuff. I've got a pretty decent sized nest egg burning a hole in my account. I gotta spend it right lol.

No architects or home owners on Sup Forums I see. Hopefully I can find some answers in some random Google builder forums or something. I figured someone on the Internet might know something?

Bump

discord.gg/cMD2Vch

No way I'm clicking that man

You got the funds?

If you don't know how to build and/or you can't get the labor for free it's going to be fairly expensive.
With free labor my 16x24 (two stories) has cost roughly $14k+. It has everything though. Full bath, bedroom, kitchen w/stove, living room, closed septic unit, and washer/dryer. We put the house on stilts as opposed to a slab to cut down on costs.

I've got enough to definitely begin but idk honestly. I'm a real simple guy and I'd be more than happy with just some walks and a roof so I'm hoping to keep costs as low as possible so I can get it done quick as possible.

Yep that's something I forgot to mention but I'll definitely need a washer and dryer. 14k is a waaay better price than everything I was finding online. Cost estimators were telling me I'd be near 100k and just googling average house building cost said it's about 200k. I knew that had to be some kind of bullshit.

By stilts what do you mean? Just cemented posts with the floor layed with those as support or something to that extent?

I will definitely have nearly free labor. A bunch of buddies will be there every day anyway and my dad and uncle built houses for a long time through the 80s-90s.

>A bunch of buddies will be there every day anyway and my dad and uncle built houses for a long time through the 80s-90s.

So why the fuck are you on Sup Forums then? Building a house isn't easy nor is it cheap. You need to consider every possible building code, electrical code and plumbing code when building it. Ensure you have a solid foundation or the house will sink overtime. You then have to worry about proper framing and insulation, plumbing that actually works and electrical work that won't kill you when you plug in a lamp.

I highly doubt you and your "buddies" are even close to being up to the task of building a house. Have you built anything before?

How costly was it to have the septic connected and everything? That's a cost I've got no idea about because that'd require a bunch of digging which is expensive I imagine.

I could probably make an insulated pipe enclosure along the outside to run all the pipes up the side of the building to the 2nd story.

>that'd require a bunch of digging which is expensive I imagine.
>insulated pipe enclosure along the outside to run all the pipes up the side of the building to the 2nd story.

You really have no idea what you're even doing do you.

Yeah, the stilts were just 4"x6"x20' posts put about 6' down. Estimates are based on like $100+ per sq/foot? They'll always be astronomical because you're not lifting a finger.

The septic ran about $3k. We paid a friend with a Backhoe to do all the digging so that cut down on the overall cost. Honestly, that was one of the most expensive things.

He did say that his family is familiar with construction. It's not that hard to use friends for manual labor when things need to be nailed together or lifted...

I'm on Sup Forums because it's an outlet to a world of people. I'm bored sketching up plans and thinking about my future. I've never built a house before but I've built lots of stuff for factories. From car parts to giant boxes. I've always liked tearing down cars and putting stuff together. So I wanna do as much as I can myself. I'm a work house. I know how to sweat.

I don't know anything about electricity though so I'll definitely have to bring a professional in there.

I'm good friends with 2 union plumbers. Been good friends our whole lives, lived in the same town. They would at least make sure I'm not screwing myself over or doing something illegal. I wouldn't ask them to work for free though but they might offer to help sometime cause they're good guys. I hate to bother them over just some passing thoughts though.

I'll definitely remember that about foundation too though, I don't want it to sink.

I definitely can round up a back hoe somewhere. I gotta know someone who knows someone. Hell yea though. At least I have a kinda sorta estimate to think on for the time being.