JLin - Black Origami

wow, this is fun and enjoyable, but as a white person i feel my enjoyment is problematic...is she appropriating PC music in 2017 or is she reclaiming 2001 missy elliot? how do i enjoy a record by a black female when it could conceivably been made by a white male? help

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fC1wYtAIOXE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lol overthinking the politics of this record a bit much??

Just enjoy it, listen through a few more times, and figure it out from there, retard

you sound like an ignorant white male ("overthinking politics"/"just enjoy it"). i'm specifically interested in fellow black female voices to provide critique on this topic as it relates to the intersection of historical memory and contemporary electronic music. have a nice day

this album rules and this thread can burn for coming at this from tired vantage point that barely even applies to the art

just read or listen to any interview with her. this music is culmination of her intuitive search for a voice to express the myriad and contradicting strands of her humanity. as a listener i understand the visceral expression of her work through listening. there is no need obfuscate the meaning through misguided abstraction.

i'm sorry but you are merely responding to a mediated voice via the white supremacist patriarchy which provides a channel for a black woman's "visceral expression". i refuse to read any interviews with this artist unless they are conducted within the framework of a safe space. assuming you are white (and because of your syntax i do) your listening doesn't merely constitute consumption but also quite possibly colonialism.

oh lol, so you're just roleplaying a SJW strawman on the web. i suppose we all have ways to express our pain.

>strands of her humanity
Humanity is overrated, regardless of race.

these two are strong ('intersection of historical memory and' is especially sharp)
this one is a bit lazy imo

satire is not easy; keep at it!

Is this bait? when did Sup Forums get a bunch of white apologist cucks?

>historical memory
holy shit this is a real thing

what are you talking about? this music is directly related to her female black experience. it relates to a history of music in midlakes region industrial cities with high populations of poor black people after being sold out by corporations who moved overseas for cheaper labor. house and techno emurged in those areas expressly as a way for poor blacks to have a creative outlet and entertainment system of unique expression. continually those underground scenes became coopted by mainstream white industries-- white label owners and industry people gaining the capital off of black labor. we saw this cycle repeatedly with different iterations of black house based music-- ghetto house, juke, footwork all becoming coopted by white mainstream culture. jlin continues this story building off black foundations. however she herself has become commodified-- glorified by white audiences, prominently featured in white publications like wire, tmt, the quietus, etc... she calls attention to this struggle in being a black female artist in a society that forces marginalized groups to assimilate or create their own cultural movements that soon become coopted and commodified by white powers....

go listen to beyonce or kendrick if you seek pre-packaged rebellion for suburbians.."black origami" truly makes me question whether or not it's my AOTY because it's good or because it masters certain (by now) commonplace white electronic music tropes to get plays but just repackages it for consumer-colonialists under the auspices of identity politics...i CRAVE black voices on this issue

tldr

white ppl SHOULDNT BE LISTENING TO MUSIC
WE made it from our kingdoms in AFRICA until the WHITE MAN came and stole it!! Fucking ignorant FUCK STOP TAKING OUR CULTURE

thank you for your thoughtful response, however, this perspective was already extremely elaborated and reformulated on "Hey QT"...which connects with the tension between industrialization and culture...BUT...parts of this remind me of missy elliot, who is primarily beloved by white people nowadays, so how does this impact whether or not the album can truly be ENJOYED by whites, when this type of music is specifically geared towards the white racial group?

>"Hey QT"...which connects with the tension between industrialization and culture
not really. "hey qt" bring up ideas of capitalism in relation to music and media culture, sexuality and representation of identity and image, but is not expressly related to race issues of assimilation and commodification.

>BUT...parts of this remind me of missy elliot, who is primarily beloved by white people nowadays, so how does this impact whether or not the album can truly be ENJOYED by whites, when this type of music is specifically geared towards the white racial group?

not sure exactly what you are getting at. i think it can be understood and on some level enjoyed but it SHOULDN"T be. whites who participate in the culture commodification of black underground scenes however seemingly harmlessly are bringing it into a media culture that commodofies and coopts black cultural expression into a product for white gain and dissolves the unique confined cultural community outlets which are extremely important.

pretty glad to see this thread blossomed into some wonderful nonsense

itt: white ppl with too much time on their hands

hey! I'm actually aboriginal with passing privilege; BIG difference

skin pics of gtfo

>reading comprehension

the through-the-looking-glass moment, when the "authentic" black culture of an artist like Jlin becomes "just culture" because non-blacks enjoy it....i feel very problematized about this, as a white person, not least because she's essentially co-opting white coldness but because she's a black artist whose life experience i am only to comprehend on the most superfical level of pitying her racist capitalist oppression, which I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR AS I ENJOY HER MUSIC DOCUMENTING THIS ...

and that's called sad...

>reading comprehension

ffs, I made a normal thread about how good this album is earlier today. Got 0 replies. But this bait bullshit does.

i've decided to no longer listen to music by black people out of sensitivity and alliance with their struggle. from now on i will only listen to white artists, thank you

youtube.com/watch?v=fC1wYtAIOXE

boring

Nobody knows or cares what she looks like. If the music is cool people will be into it. And she makes cool music. so everything you're saying here OP is just noise and you sound like a fucking moron.

>black musician co-opts the japanese art of paper folding for her album title

this is more tasteless than the album art for blur's magic whip, but funny in an ironic sense