MELON MELTDOWN

Other urls found in this thread:

stereogum.com/1942123/halsey-explains-her-provocative-comments-about-kendrick-lamar-and-lady-gaga/news/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whats the context, spoonfeed me.

isn't that the girl who made that song with the cocksmokers? lol

i knew he was talking about halsey before i even saw her name

>I am important

Narcissism is something that never gets satisfied? Guess it's better not to climb up that ladder.

stereogum.com/1942123/halsey-explains-her-provocative-comments-about-kendrick-lamar-and-lady-gaga/news/

FUCK white peopele

>cocksmokers
oh kek now i gotta call them that now

DAMAGE CONTROL

Halsey was on twitter complaining that she's considered a "pop star" because she's a woman and that she's actually an alternative artist

tl;dr Halsey is upset that she isn't treated as "alternative" as she thinks she should, citing Kendrick as an example of someone who makes pop music but isn't considered pop.

now i understand finally
how the critic is the real artist

but she was raised on biggie and nirvana there's no way she's a pop star

He hates tumblr pop a little too much

Unresolved issues and all that

tbf halsey's vapid pop trash and nothing else

>even though I’m inherently an alternative artist.
that delusion

I wanna cum in Halsey pussy.

/thread

anthony should chill but he's right

in what world is she an alternative artist?

white knighting for a super overhyped rapper, apparently

>he's still going on about it

she's kinda got a point
I don't think she should be called '''''alternative''''' but I don't think Kendrick should either

>MELON MELTDOWN
aw geez, another one?

she cracked the melon

is this the end of anthony's career?

>in what world is she an alternative artist?
in what world is Kendrick?

that shit is just as wrong

Kendrick isn't a pop artist, he's a rapper that sells out very often.

l e g a l m a r i j u a n a

>unironically /threading yourself

Pop music is the new counter culture. My latest single topped the charts and it feels punk as fuck

How untalented do you have to be to rip off Lorde of all artists?

jesus, if anyone dares criticise his darling he has a complete fit, doesn't he?

>he's a rapper that sells out very often
Hip hop is a popular genre of music, innit?

I mean, the thread really should have ended there.

Has to be music first desu

Pop is a pretty well defined genre of music, it isn't literally any type of music which is popular

This. I don't really care for Halsey's music, but Fantano's got no god damn chill.

he turns into a shitposter when he's angry

But rap and hip hop are avant-garde compared to it, right.

Without autistically engaging in the "modern pop vs. popular music vs. pop/folk/classical trichotomy" definition discussion, I think the phrase "pop star" has certain connotations that exclude Kendrick from the conversation the same ways they would exclude someone like Axl Rose. It doesn't mean rappers can't be pop stars though, I would definitely call Drake one and maybe Kanye too.

On topic, Fantano is overreacting here but Halsey is at least a bit misled. She feels that she's not being recognized as an alternative artist (whatever alternative means in this context) because she's a woman when the reality is that the brand of alternative music she's making isn't alternative anymore. I think she's right that she's not a pop star because I don't think she's on the cultural level of people like Drake or Taylor Swift or Beyoncé, but nothing about her style or music is particularly alternative either.

>why people keep calling me a pop artist?
>I'm an art music composer!
>Now, take a look at Phillip Glass over there, now THATS a pop artist

I understand thinking she's wrong but there's actually zero reason for him to be this mad.

I'm going it's over they won

Right, but Kendrick doesn't make pop either. He makes hip hop. It's not alternative hip hop at all, nor does it conform to an alternative hip hop style. It sticks to its roots.

it's really not a big deal
why is the melon so autistic

He does that shit every week or two

not really

he does though

It's pop hip hop though undeniably
It's cool if you like it I guess but don't overintellectualize it or think it's more than it is

kek stinkpiece when

>don't overintellectualize it or think it's more than it is
That's not what the word pop means.

>cocksmokers
fuckin lel

>alternative artist
Alt is the label that's thrown on shit no one cares to classify. Kiln of like"indie"

>PJ Harvey, Holly Herndon
>not pop
Imagine being this clueless.

Halsey has the STYLE of an alternative artist, which she confuses for being genuinely alternative although her music is pretty straightforward pop.

It's like pop-punk albums having the style of emo and thinking they're emo when they're just pop-punk.

yea he really used awful examples... they are pop but i guess less pop than halsey?

>holly herndon
>pop
what fucking planet do you live on

this wtf are both retarded

Kill yourself

>Hangs out with sam hyde once

tfw bones is his buddy too
hate that fuckface

Actually, this. tbhonesto dezu familia

I actually don't hate the statement from the article "female artists are more likely to be labelled as pop" I think that that's true. I hate her and her music is so bland that it could in no world be alternative. But that part is right.

fuck tumblr pop tho..

all average pop is going to be over intellectualized,that's why it's made, from the beatles, to queen,to nirvana,radiohead and now kendrick, all sand from the same beach.

Halsey is a headass and everything but she's not wrong. Kendrick is a pop artist whether you like it or not. Humble and DNA are blasted on trap stations nonstop, the former even on straight-up pop stations too. He does features on every female singer's new hit, and gets them to feature on his. Anthony crine because someone dared insult his sacred cow makes him look thin-shinned.
Halsey claiming to not be a pop musician is stupid though.
[spoiler]Now or Never isn't a bad song as far as pop goes[/spoiler]

how the fuck can you call something "pop"
isn't it just an umbrella term for everything that is popular

this

Pop music as an umbrella term means music distributed through the music industry with wide appeal. Pop music as a genre means music with a basic structure (usually verse-chorus) and has riffs/hooks.

A reasonable but not totally similar comparison would be how classical music is a catch-all term for western art music but also means music composed with a specific style in the mid-late 18th and early 19th centuries.

I wish we had spoilers on Sup Forums

I consider "pop music" music made with the intention of radio/chart success. Lil Uzi, Halsey, One Direction are all pop music despite not really sounding that similar. It's more of a style than a genre; pop music invariably has simple structure, generic progressions, and trendy production and aesthetics.

Actual genres like art pop or synth pop can exist, but I'd argue that just "pop" isn't a genre.
It's like how Jewish can describe both a religion or ethnicity.

Anthony's been looking like an ass lately. Giving two hugely-acclaimed albums low shock scores without explains what's wrong with either, trying to force a "beef" with a washed-up rapper (and making a fool of himself in the process), now having a hissy fit when someone dares question muh Kennick

>Giving two hugely-acclaimed albums low shock scores
What albums? The Gas one is one of those you're talking about but wich one is the other one?

He's just trying to boost to 1mil subscribers

hell be fine

>I'm now defending Halsey against a white man with a neo-nazi sheen
what world is this

I mean if you're def of pop music is
Literally "popular music" (mine is bit I understand why it's not for alot of people) than hip hop is probably the Afghan crop of pop music

>halsey actually thinking she makes alternative/underground/damn.... music

really?

Slowdive, but I remember there was some other one I hadn't heard that people were super pissed over

>beefs with Autechre
>beefs with Gas
>beefs with Wale
>beefs with /our girl/ Halsey

Ok now he's done it, lads. We've got to take iPodthony Nanotano down!

what even is an "alternative artist"? like alternative to what? pop? rock? it's not a genre in of itself.

rip muh conservatism

>beefs with Autechre

!?!?

>beefs with Autechre
link me

>There's are

Melon was flustered

don't have a link but he was getting pissed off at constant requests for him to review elseq, he finally responded with "this is a music review channel"

its obvious he hates electronic music, he only likes it when a) it has lyrics he relates to and b) it makes him angry @ the gym

Alternative was always indie-not-indie for teens so the moniker sort of fits I guess, but
>not even woman enough to have a Metacritic page
>Wikipedia page cherrypicks reviews from the The State Journal-Register and Charleston Gazette-Mail

Do you really think he listens to laurel halo or any actual non-pop female artists? He has a shallow music repertoire that reflects his shallow music review site and channel. He's the Halsey of music reviews.

The words in your pic killed it
Image was enough
Lurk moar

>pj harvey
>pop
I'd just like to add as a sidenote that regardless of what Halsey says she can always get the dick.

>R Plus Seven
>all of arca's, specially Xen
>government plates
>syro
>narkopop
>refuse to review elseq and too many voices
>actually skips most of electronic releases every year

yea

It's all pop. If it is played on top 40 radio stations, it's pop. Plain and simple. These "artists" are deluded.

Tbh, when electronic music is a fucking drone for 24 minutes its like meh.

kek

it's so easy to tell that fantano posts on Sup Forums by looking at the way he words his tweets. I bet he's actually a pretty active poster.

it's def. not for everyone

neck yourself

wow i always knew halsey's marketing team was trying to push the whole "alternative" label to sell music to children, but i never would have thought that she's stupid and narcissistic enough to believe that shit herself.

what an ignorant, self-rightous hack

>The lengths that Lady Gaga has to go to to maintain her cred as an artist of the counterculture are insane. If she does anything that’s even slightly too-pop people are going to be like ‘she sold out. She’s a pop artist.’
christ this halfwit actually thinks lady gaga isn't a pop artist. people this stupid shouldn't be allowed to breed

This. I know people say this about him with every genre but he truly doesn't understand or enjoy electronic. He time and time again favors "organic" sounds rather than more electronic dominant music