How can I appreciate avant-garde, experimental music?

How can I appreciate avant-garde, experimental music?

Tried getting into it but my ear keeps rejecting that kind of music.

Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bQHR_Z8XVvI
youtube.com/watch?v=gL5eYvIQPNY
youtube.com/watch?v=UgG8mXfhpCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-RuEDNYQQ40
amazon.com/Passion-Lubes-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant/dp/B005MR3IVO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495248303&sr=8-1&keywords=55+gallon+drum+of+lube&th=1
youtube.com/watch?v=moFpgCz33dU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You need to stop trying to appreciate it. Its a meme. Its the definition of an "ironic" piece of work before the term was appropriated by hipsters. Once you do that you'll learn to appreciate it and realize its not worth your time.

Start with extremely dissonant but still somewhat tonal music, then work your way to atonal, then 50s-60s avant-garde

For starters, try listening to actual avant-garde.

Any suggestions?

I have this album sleeve
>mfw the vynil isn't in it

thank fuck

Pretentious.

The thing with TMR is that upon first listen, it sounds very disjointed and chaotic when in reality is very much is not.
Honestly I'd recommend listening to Safe As Milk before this, then you'll be into it more. Safe As Milk is much more straightforward than TMR is.

start here
youtube.com/watch?v=bQHR_Z8XVvI

Start with Velvet Underground & Nico, then White Light/White Heat (listen to it in full), then try TMR again

@72880864
Not avant fuck off.

@72880878
avant-teen detected

>yfw Beefheart drove his band so insane that they came up Slint's post-rocky gimmick 20 years before them

youtube.com/watch?v=gL5eYvIQPNY

Beefheart literally invented genres.
Morons will deny this but whatever.

>TVU&N
>avante-garde

Name 30 albums that sounded like it at the time

When there's a lot of chaos going on at the same time, you need to pick apart and understand what's going on. especially in long instrumental songs. To some it just sounds like gobbledygook, to others it "clicks" and you understand the song.
I'm not sure if it's a learned thing, or just some are better than others at doing that. As someone who has listened to Phish since a young age, I'm very good at doing that.

youtube.com/watch?v=UgG8mXfhpCQ

>how many buzzwords can I fit into one post?

Avant-garde literally just means "at the forefront of innovation" and TVU&N fits the bill pretty much, but if you know of something prior to TVU that does what it does, by all means post it. I would love to hear it.

>appreciate
>my ear keeps rejecting that kind of music.
There's the problem. You sound like you are trying to enjoy it, not appreciate it. That's wrong.

>being this new

The only good advice in this thread. The trick of TMR is that it's actually very easy to enjoy from the perspective of blues song writing.

Listen to Safe as Milk first. It helps a lot.

Do the opposite of this. TMR works as a cohesive whole, not as something to be picked apart. The more people try to make out TMR to be some big hulking monster to be analyzed, the further they get away from the point of TMR to begin with- purposeful, violent blues music.

Avant-garde can technically be applied to any song.

Wow this sure is pseudo trash

I think I'll stick to the TMR music

yknow... actual art music

I don't mean literally picking apart the song and studying it, it's something your brain should be able to do it naturally. More than one listen helps if you're having trouble.

>When there's a lot of chaos going on at the same time, you need to pick apart and understand what's going on.
If you didn't mean that literally then, literally, what did you mean by this?

that's actually a p good song user

Some people can't understand songs that are very chaotic because they hear the song as just a wall of noise, it's very hard to understand a song if you are unable to grasp the melody. Being able to understand the melody is a talent that some don't have, hearing each instrument both individually and all at the same time, at the same time, is difficult for some.
They are a very good band, especially live. I've seen them at least 20 times. Worth the trip.
This is another example of a phish song that might be hard to understand for some.

youtube.com/watch?v=-RuEDNYQQ40

By literal definition instead of memespeak, it's one of the best examples in rock music

>music shouldn't be picked apart and studied
Wow learn an instrument you neanderthal

Stay triggered

Why do i still come here?

Stay ignorant

Stay triggered.

I never said it shouldn't be studied. If user wants to pick apart and listen to each individual voice of TMR, they can and they should, but if they're just trying to "Get" the record, then the best way to do so is to not over analyze or indulge in any one particular voice at any given time. TMR is a sum of its parts kind of record. I say this as someone who knows one instrument very well and several others somewhat okay.

been thinking the same.

hey that's p nice man!
tho
>20min
haha, got some album reccs?
should I start with Junta?

>I never said it shouldn't be studied.
You did. You said:
>Do the opposite of this
Did you forget what you said?

Triggered about what?

Did you forget what the original post said?

Do the opposite of this, as in:
>When there's a lot of chaos going on at the same time, you need to pick apart and understand what's going on. especially in long instrumental songs.
The word study doesn't show up here and is not exclusively related to picking apart individual voices in a song. Fuck off.

The fact that someone said something you didn't like and you can't make a substantive post in response.

Alright, you didn't make a substantive post in response either, after he substantially noted that your post was just meme buzzwords
>inb4 not original poster
Don't care, you're still defending that shitpost.

Yeah I would start with Junta, most Phish fans will tell you the albums are all shit, and to watch live shows, but that is pretty hit and miss.
It might be a good idea to listen to their album A Live One first, but Junta is my favorite non-live album.

>The fact that someone said something you didn't like
When was that?
>you can't make a substantive post in response.
The first post was not substantive to begin with. Drop the buzzwords and try again maybe?

>Do the opposite of this, as in:
Oh OK then my point here stands >The word study
Do you not know what "study" means? "Pick apart and understand" should have been your clue.

I don't know why musically unintelligent attempt to discuss intelligent music.

'Muh buzzwords' is not a substantive response. Its attacking the wording of a post rather than the content. Its the same as saying 'nice _____ meme'.

It shows that the post clearly triggered you, even though it didn't even attack you. Yet instead of formulating a well thought-out response to why you disagree, or ignoring it like an adult, you attacked the wording instead because you couldn't ignore it, as if letting it sit there unchallenged was proving it right.

And now you're triggered that you were called out. And you will proceed to be triggered even further once you've read this.

that's actually really cool no joke

You don't

>Step 1:
Spend a month on a rigorous stretching routine with a focus on flexibility.

>Step 2:
Go here and buy this, wait for it to arrive:
amazon.com/Passion-Lubes-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant/dp/B005MR3IVO/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495248303&sr=8-1&keywords=55+gallon+drum+of+lube&th=1

>Step 3:
When it arrives, open the lid and dip your head in the barrel. Try to get a nice, even coating from the neck up.

>Step 4:
Using your recently gained flexibility, carefully and gently insert your head up your own ass.

>Step 5:
Enjoy your newfound appreciation of avant-garde music, as well as a fresh understanding of fine wine, reddit, and Kanye West.

youtube.com/watch?v=moFpgCz33dU

>my post doesn't need substance
>but your reply to it does
Stop

With Trout Mask Replica, there's a lot going on at first listen. But they're not just playing random notes, the band worked for an entire year writing and learning the songs. If you can pick out parts of the song to focus on when listening, you'll see it's really pretty enjoyable to listen to.

The original post had substance. It basically said that if you try too hard to 'get it' you miss the point.

The response was basically 'Muh fee-fees!'

>Its attacking the wording of a post rather than the content
But the content was just buzzwords.
>It shows that the post clearly triggered you
Why would it? I don't like TMR.

>The original post had substance
No it didn't. it:
1) called the album a meme
2) It used the word ironic in quotations
3) used the word "hipster"

>you miss the point.
What's the point?

Please do not use buzzwords this time, and be sure to cite your sources

>'Muh buzzwords' is not a substantive response. Its attacking the wording of a post rather than the content. Its the same as saying 'nice _____ meme'.
>You need to stop trying to appreciate it. Its a meme
kek

>I have no reading comprehension, the posters

Not an argument.

Try again.

Realize that some music is meant for your brain rather than your ear.

If you don't like how it sounds then turn it off. You're never going to appreciate the little details enough to make up for sounding bad.

Neither is saying 'buzzwords'

Try again.

There's more ways to analyse music than by picking apart the voices. Your point was refuted because I do play instruments, not that you're actually bothering to read my posts.

Back to the point, the OP wants to enjoy TMR, and the trip made the suggestion of taking apart the music and trying to enjoy it that way, while I emphasized that TMR works better when listened to as a whole and not over-analyzing it.
Generally speaking, it's more interesting to take apart music and look at each individual voice once you've experienced and enjoyed what the combination of voices is trying to do. First you enjoy it, then you come back to it and take it apart to see why it works the way it works. TMR is a record that, in my view, almost requires that it be enjoyed in that way. Almost everyone I've met who dislikes it says they tried too hard to get the avant-garde nature of it, when in reality it just works when you come to it from a less imposing perspective. The moment you hear TMR as just fierce blues music, it becomes incredibly easy to enjoy.

So no, analyzing and taking apart music is not something I think people shouldn't do. Quite the opposite. The point is that the user should NOT do that if their goal is to just enjoy the music first.

This is one of the most obtuse arguments I've ever participated in on Sup Forums

thx man, will def check them out