Is a huge musical counter-cultural movement on the level of grunge in the early 90s possible today...

Is a huge musical counter-cultural movement on the level of grunge in the early 90s possible today? This isn't a question of whether Rock can make a comeback, but whether something that captures similar energy and DIY ethic can function in today's music scene.

Similarities
>Stagnation in the mainstream music scene
>Social/Political instability, anger at the establishment
>New technologies expand what sounds can be created

Differences
>Lack of centralized source of culture (i.e. MTV) means more insular music scenes with less interaction
>Social media favors music that fits into existing algorithms, dissuades taking risks
>Economic instability (relative to the 90s) makes the prospect of being a musician more difficult

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

diffuser.fm/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-grunge/
rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-corgan-says-soundgarden-among-acts-back-only-to-make-money-20120816
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Scenes are dead because of the internet.

b-b-but rap is the new grunge! and punk! and metal! and blues! and classical! you can get all the culture you'll ever need from lil yachty's new mixtape

yup, the internet literally kills everything that was once great, even itself. hardly anyone produces even somewhat organic music anymore

>any movement post no-wave actually being a counter culture

I wouldn't really call grunge "huge". It was semi-popular for like 3 years and restricted to about 4 bands. Also no, fragmentation as a result of the internet means there is essentially no "counter-culture" nor is there a singular prevailing cultural force

It will happen soon because white people are seen as dangerous these days. People will be all into rock and roll music because angry aggressive music is seen as taboo, and all blacks are just whining and playing the victim these days and have lost their edge

t. whitey

Grunge was pushed by huge record companies. It was far from a DIY/grassroots thing.

If Death Grips had exploded at Nirvana levels of popularity it would have been it

yep im glad they didnt though

No, there used to be local scenes all doing their own thing, in Seattle you have grunge, in California you would have hair metal.
Now everyone around the world reads www.p4k .com and makes the same shitty jangle pop and shoegaze indie music.
The radio stations are consolidated, all owned by the same giant evil companies, they only play the approved payola top 40 pop music now.
Record companies only care about the profit motive, they dont take risks anymore, they dont build artists, they just get some dumb slut, fit her with autotune, and send her on stage to lip synch and jiggle.

This hell.

You just realized we are living in hell

I've though about this, is it a generational thing? Is Gen Y too self centered to have a viable musical counterculture that defines them?

Rap is the closest thing I guess since it produces similar outrage among suburban households that classic rock did, but I don't know how to feel about that since I don't actually like rap

>Record companies only care about the profit motive, they dont take risks anymore, they dont build artists

This hurts the most of all. Bob Dylan and Billy Joel's first albums were utter failures and the way music is today they probably would have been fucking dropped immediately

>blacks are just whining and playing the victim
>he's whining and playing the victim

LMAO

yeah this, when one thing pops up on the internet anyone from anywhere in the world can see it

i suppose for things in foreign countries it's kinda nice so people don't have to wait, but at the same time you almost have to force yourself to ignore something if you don't want to lose the mystery about it

Its EDM, unfortunately

No one is outraged by rap in 2017 you faggot, like rap is top 40 and pop now

Not to say that death grips doesn't make great music, but they literally can't write a fucking chorus.

The world feels off balance, we used to have musical variety, rock, pop, rap, r&b, country.
But somewhere around the early teens all the jews and cool kids decided rock music was profitable or cool anymore and tossed it aside.
So now we live in a world of poptamism, an unquestioning ideology that worships the idneity over the quality of music, pushed by coastal yuppie music journalists as some sort of socially progressive ideology, in actuality just consumer capitalism masked as social progress.
And what replaced rock music?
EDM......
Now dont get me wrong i love electronic music but edm is a corporate abomination, enjoyed by fratboys and dumb sluts, when i was growing up electronic music was like some cool underground niche, it was aphex twin or the prodigy.
And now its the same dull over produced frat bro shit.

country music isnt country music anymore, its more like whatever trend is popular but with a southern accent. also somehow it still sells, which boggles my mind.

Rap is no longer about some ghetto thug who lived a gangsta life, but some artsy farty, pretentious shit aimed at music journalists and middle class whites.

Overall when you study the music landscape its the most toxic and terrible its ever been, its the most soft and dull and boring its ever been.

There are no loud noises, no screaming, no anger allowed on the radio, on the charts. In any genre.

You think we don't already know?

>grunge
>counter-cultural

This. There are no cultures anymore. IE punk, underground hip hop, indie etc. The internet has made it all merge into one blob.

T H I S
H
I
S

the most ignorant post itt

we just need a band that's not commercial and actually sounds pretty neat to come along

We need unique musicians.

traditional rock is dead

death grips is too much for normies

This desu.
If rock is gonna have a chance to be in the mainstream again.
Its gonna have to be produced the same way that hip-hop and electronic music is produced.
(loops)

the whole grunge thing was mainly rock/metal with a combination of different genres, we just need something like that again

like edm rock

>le rap rock
>edm rock

these exist and they're bad

Metal isn't rock. Soooo le nu metal doesn't count as rock.
i haven't heard edm rock you need to send that link asap senpai.

Recently listened.
Tryhard shit.

>(loops)

Kek when Apex twin's and OPN's Synths sound like guitars.

i don't get this.

this, music is now homogenizing very rapidly.

I honestly think we require a societal collapse where we go back to the dark ages and have a second renaissance to have far more original music eventually arrive in hundreds of years

I have actually dreamed about this lmao

OR, just the music industry has to be destroyed. Maybe it is destroying itself, normies don't care about listening to music as much as just having a couple cool albums or songs

Too much for normies
Just enough for kids who love MLG compilation videos and bleach memes
Fucking gay to anybody with taste

Go to bed. Exams soon.

Found the normie.

>rap rock

The closest I can think is probably the influences in Body Count, plus Rage Against the Machine and Faith No More, but even then it's not quite the same thing.

grunge was fucking massive and was such a huge sea change for pop music and pop culture in general. also people like this cunt rode grunge for like 15 years afterward. the last half of your post is correct though

at least ratm had a specific message. i don't agree with it, but they had something they cared about. crazy town didn't care about anything except having tattoos and making a quick buck

Cept theyll never be THAT good

Theyll only be "Well...dat wuz interdesting"

Forgot about the Beastie Boys, that too.

But yeah, rap rock as a genre is... volatile. On one hand, you can end up with some really interesting things. On the other it just ends up being milquetoast shit that appeals to no one and just feels like stale bread that's unusable even for making breadcrumbs.

>Metal isn't rock
But it is. Metal is a type of rock music.

Pimp C talked about this in one of the last interviews he gave before his death. He complained that due to satellite radio, all the same shit was being played throughout the country and regional rap was dying out. 10 years later, everything sounds like Atlanta.

Idk about the rest of the world. But at least in Australia; there is an emerging rock scene. It's still quite poppy and generic at the moment. But more interesting and experimental bands are coming into the scene, and small rock groups are being given more air time by local radio.

i'd like to see a reactionary movement to australia being the world's shittiest country for music by spawning a bunch of good musicians

As an american. I'm fucking jealous.

It would of been cool to see the progression of regional rap into the 2010s. Sometimes when you're limited with what you got, you learn how to make it interesting.

>Rap is the closest thing I guess since it produces similar outrage among suburban households
lol no it doesn't dumbass

We've reached a point in musical culture where revivalism is, in and of itself, a form of rebellion against the mainstream music industry.

Oh shut up computers have incredible capacity to create way better music than appeared in the past.

It's not so much that they play the victim so much as it is that niggers are fucking retards who will vote away individual rights and then end the experiment in individual rights that began with the European Renaissance.

Also white people deserve reparations from black people for them having hollowed out every major city in North America. All of their belongings should be confiscated to pay for the damage they have done to the infrastructure of the United States, and then they should be loaded on barges which are autopiloted to Liberia, who can either take them in or let them die.

>now I'll uncreatively copy your generations bland outdated musical cliches as a form of rebellion!
>that'll show you!
lol

Generation iPhone strikes again!

>it produces similar outrage among suburban households
have you time traveled here from the early 90's?

>t.nigger

Yeah fucking right. Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West are more similar to Beyonce than they are to older hip-hop. They are complete faggots.

>niggers are fucking retards who will vote away individual rights
As far as I know not a lot of niggers vote for republicans.

If anyone is being a whiny bitch, it's you.

Grunge fucking sucked and popular music was better before it happened.

Anyway I'm glad rock is effectively dead now. We have to move on as a culture. It's not like we're still fellating swing jazz.

Sup Forums in 2013 thought that nu-grunge and garage rock were going to be the next big mainstream thing so i think it's safe to say that no one here knows shit

this desu
there is 2 really new good bands in my local scene compromised of under 20s.
Australia's rock scene is going really strong right now.

With those 24hr live mixes of lofi hip hop on youtube becoming super popular I think ambient, post rock and post-club dance music might be the thing that blows up next. Heavy, hypnotic repatitons on a dancey groove that kind of flow between sections rather than hard transitions. I think that would be cool if a full band did a live set that seamlessly flowed between tracks with improvisation all focused around the energy of the room. Get artists to do soundscapes for events like how nice restaurants have a piano guy but now it's a dude with a sample pad and keyboard n shit.
I could dig that.

why do so many of the comments seem like they're coming from people with leddit-level knowledge or taste

>Grunge fucking sucked and popular music was better before it happened.
you are wrong
music became worse after it because of it, though

It's summer in America.

this is a good post

Exactly.
diffuser.fm/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-grunge/
rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-corgan-says-soundgarden-among-acts-back-only-to-make-money-20120816

>With those 24hr live mixes of lofi hip hop on youtube becoming super popular I think ambient, post rock and post-club dance music might be the thing that blows up next.
FUCK
THAT
the last thing we need is more reverb

wrong, in the old days you still had to go outside to meet weirdos
but now you can just stay inside and find them on places like here
scenes in the old days were people that hung out talked music and fashion, but now you go to a fashion forum for fashion and a music forum for music and nobody forms part of a scene because everyone they meet on these places are different

have you listened to the money store?
its full of some of the most catchy choruses in hip-hop

The most fun thing about the 90s rap is how regional it is. Listening to NY rappers name drop each other for instance.

I don't venture much into this sub Reddit but my god you folks are getting on my nerves today

This fucking fsggot thinks modern rap like future and migos and those other Jew pagan worshipping Astro kike niggers are actually causing outrage like they are Tupac lol

Fuckin idiot

Rap is one of the most dead genres

Drake is a fucking talentless yuppie HALF JEW my god wake up

The media and govt keeps telling us we have to deal with the biggest opiate crises in decades yet future gets 60 million Spotify plays mumble rapping "Molly Percocet Molly Percocet"

Rap is the most contrived jewiest genre there is

Nobody is getting worked up over modern rap it's fuckin frat boy white man music

You know what hood niggs around here listen to? Fuckin dmx and Tupac and biggie . It's the white college kids listening to top 40 rap like migos

i'm hoping for an industry crash desu

kill yourself. we have flum.

Who even cares anymore.

You could literally spend your entire life listening to music made before 2000 and you'd never hear everything good from before then. May as well not lament it, just be happy for what all we had.