We discuss The Division Bell in this thread, is it a proper send off to Pink Floyd, do you love or hate the lyrics...

We discuss The Division Bell in this thread, is it a proper send off to Pink Floyd, do you love or hate the lyrics, was this just a Gilmour solo album, etc.

Personally for me this has the one of the best guitar works for pink floyd, the lyrics were ok, it's in my top 5 albums

i nearly got a clinical depression while listening to this 18months nonstop while coping from a medium heavy meth addiction

Great fuckin' album.

OP here

It's a sad album for me, it feels like the end of a era, especially with the lyrics of communication.

>The Endless River

it is extremely melancholic, i love the album but i cant listen to it anymore since it takes me back to those dark days. happyli thats 15 years ago now

You do realize that most of that was stuff from the division bell sessions?

Plus you have to get the mindset at that time, for 20 years floyd and the people thought this was the last album.

>You do realize that most of that was stuff from the division bell sessions?
Yes.

>Plus you have to get the mindset at that time, for 20 years floyd and the people thought this was the last album.
And now it's not. I enjoyed The Division Bell well enough, but it isn't really fair to call it their "send off" anymore.

I get the impression you're middle aged and looking back with nostalgia and that's totally fine. I grew up on Pink Floyd, so I understand.

Honestly I consider The Division Bell the final album cause of the mindset they had. They wrote it to be the final album. They didn't write endless as a sendoff.

It's good, but I don't like it quite as much as A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

I kinda wish they'd kept going. It was a little strange to me that The Division Bell is as somber as it is, since the darker/sadder themes in the Floyd catalog tend to be attributed to Roger Waters. It could have been nice to see them get more comfortable and lighten up a bit without him.

>They didn't write endless as a sendoff.
I haven't read any interviews or anything that have stated that, but if it's true then I'll leave it at that.

That's cause Gilmour and his wife cant write good lyrics, even though this album had decent lyrics they were from from what Roger did.

always like "high hopes" whats your favorite track?

I have a soft spot for Lapse. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the first Floyd I heard when I was very young.

I really liked this album and consider it more of a send off than Division Bell.

I think it's the fact that it's almost completely devoid of lyrics. A Momentary Lapse of Reason and DB are fucking great but to me still lacked something without Waters. Having an almost entirely instrumental album inadvertently acknowledged that for me.

I suppose I see your point, but coming back 20 years later and using unused stuff from an old album to honor Wright feels a bit tacky IMO.

I love endless but I still consider Bell the send off

I only really look at it chronologically. If they didn't intend for Endless to be seen as the final album that's fine. Both can be the "final" one way or the other.

TDB is probably the album I listened to least now that I think about it. And my introduction to Floyd was scattered. I started with DSotM like most people people my age and jumped around from there. I'm sure that affects my view of TBD and Endless as well.

I guess another reason I never thought of TDB as their send off was timing. It came out when I was thirteen and in the next couple of years I really got into Floyd on my own. So now I'm absorbing all these eras and listening to Piper and More and Animals and Division Bell all at the same time without knowing that would be the last album for 20 years.

It's a great album. Definitely not a DG solo album, all of the band (and Polly Samson) have contributed quite a lot.

It's getting that much hate because it was overhyped when it was released. Especially with Wright saying it's will mark the return of the Pink Floyd sound.
It's gotten so much hate that it went from overrated to underrated.

It's misunderstood if anything. That's one way to put it.

I like only this and echoes out of PF

It's pretty good but hardly the highlight of pf's career

>not recognizing PF's unknown masterpiece

sorry it was obscured

I've listened to every album, but this TDB was pretty controversial for some fans thats why I made the thread, no one hates obscured lol

underrated post

I don't know man, i can't count how many conversations have gone like this:

"Nice shirt man, you like Pink Floyd?"
"Yeah, I love them"
"What's your fav album?"
"Obscured By Clouds"
"Ah okay, I never heard that one. I like the Wall"

Very true. The Wall is very overrated too. Great songs but there's a lot of filler.

Dude dont get me started on all the faggots that wear the dark side shirt to look cultured

People on leddit say its ok and just accuse me of gatekeeping

But if you wear a shirt you gotta fucking a decent amount of shit by a band

Theres a good amount of chicks at my college that wear the dark side shit and cant name one fucking song on it or a member. It shouldn't bother me but it does.

Thats why I stopped wearing my dark side shirt and wear my WYWH or TDB shirt now and then.

Pic fucking realated

The only fillers are vera and bring the boys back tbh, the wall is a album where you can only listen to comfortably numb and brick pt 2 as a single, everything else needs to be listened to in order.

I know exactly what you mean man, It pisses me off that the only affordable PF shirts I can find are dark side ones.

Got any links to shirts that are not DSOTM and don't cost £25?

I agree with this guy, listening to something like Mother without the rest of the album to set it up feels wrong

most of the shirts and shit on esty are under 25 euros or should be, Im in USA so don't know the prices for EU

My shirts don't have pink floyd written on them cause at this point wearing any band tshirt youre most likely trying to be a cultured faggot.

I actually think Vera/BTBBH are not filler, even though they're probably the most irrelevant to Pink's story. Another Brick Pt. 1 feels pretty weak and making it one song with "Happiest Days of our Lives" would have worked better probably. Stop is filler and should have been one with "The Trial" (maybe excluded altogether).

That's my opinion, but I think Empty Spaces is pretty weak without "What Shall we do Now", even though it's a great song.

Also OP here

I loved what shall we do now, shame it wasn't on the original and just in the movie and live shows, Rogers vocals on that were crazy.

But even without what shall we do, the lead into young lust on the album version works just as well

I actually think another brick pt.1 is my favorite of all 3

I like part 3 the most, its the most explosive

It's not bad, but it feels much more sudden. What Shall We Do Now packed quite a punch and it felt more smooth for a song like Young Lust to come after it

Pt1 is good but I think it is too ambient for the rest of the album (or even the rest of side 1A). Pt. 3 is my favorite.

You're right, but I'm pretty sure anyone coming into this thread to discuss TDB has more than a passing knowledge. I even mentioned another PF soundtrack in an earlier post, More. Also underrated and too seldomly known by casuals with their t-shirts from Target.

It's none of those. The last Whole Pink Floyd album was The Final Cut. He last album without Roger Waters was The Endless River

It is good. It is a tour I really fucking wish I was maybe 3 years older to have seen.

My oldest cousin took me to many shows in the mid 90's but was never into pink floyds style of dad rock.

this album is not the best for me, but still enjoy some songs from this.

I actually like Stop, a lot. Listening to a high energy song like Run Like Hell and then Waiting for the Worms and how noisy it gets at the end, then having this jarring transition to some mournful crooning over just piano really works for me.

What Shall we do Now is fucking awesome. Back in the mid 90s, before Napster there was a hole in the wall record shop is go to and the owner would always have bootleg but HQ rips of the film on CD so I always had a copy.

Might be my favorite Floyd album I can listen to it start to finish every time.

Not OP but mine's Marooned

I love Animals so fucking much.
That album has 5 tracks, 3 proper songs, and I still think it's perfect.

Pigs on the Wing pt1 and 2 are underrated. The dichotomy in both tone and theme while relating to the other tracks help make Animals such a great album instead of just a collection of 3 great songs.

This is true. Waters was the secret ingredient that turned good tunes with dreamy guitar into theatrical masterpieces. Its no surprise that since waters left every floyd album was just a collection of songs that could virtually be played in any order or even as a stand alone radio friendly song.

Waters was floyd. No, that is wrong. Waters and Gilmour and Mason and Wright was Pink Floyd. Without all of them contributing thier work seemed a little hollow. Perhaps you are right that after the final cut they were basically Gilmour solo albums... given the marginal input the other two had.

I guess you're right about Stop, but I still think it would work best if it was part of "Waiting for the Worms" or "The Trial" since it's like an intro to that.

I got What Shall We Do Now for the first time on CD when the live album came out in 2000 unfortunately. Made it more special though

Have you listened to the 8-tape Animals version? They joined the 2 Pigs on the Wing together and added a great solo between them. Puts it on the same level as the other 3 songs, even though the LP version is organized like that for a reason

90% of the dumbasses ive seen wearing DSOTM shirts think its a brand...

>8-tape Animals version
Haven't heard of it, just listened to the Pigs on the Wings version. I think I prefer the regular two parts, but maybe I'm just more used to that.

There are no fillers, dude! U can understand The Wall only after you see the live show. I neglected this album for 10 years and I understood it only after I saw the live.

It's more of an oddity and it isn't how the album was meant to be experienced. It was just put there to take advantage of the loop function cassettes of that type had. You could endlessly play the album on loop with continuity that made sense.

Still a great version though.