Explain this to me Sup Forums

explain this to me Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's an album

The Disintegration Loops is a series of four albums by American avant-garde composer William Basinski released in 2002 and 2003. All tracks have the same form of ambient music fragments played in a tape loop that slowly deteriorates as it passes by the tape head. The recording coincided with the 9/11 attacks and the album covers and accompanying videos feature a still skyline of New York City with smoke and dust rising from the World Trade Center site.

The Disintegration Loops is based on Basinski's attempts to salvage earlier recordings made on magnetic tape, by transferring them into digital format; however, the tape had deteriorated to the point that, as it passed by the tape head, the ferrite detached from the plastic backing and fell off. The loops were allowed to play for extended periods as they deteriorated further, with increasing gaps and pauses in the music. These sounds were treated further with a spatializing reverb effect. Basinski has said that he finished the project the morning of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, and sat on the roof of his apartment building in Brooklyn with friends listening to the project as the World Trade Center towers collapsed. In 2011, Basinski corrected earlier reports where he described recording the last hour of daylight of 9/11 in N.Y.C. with a video camera focused on the smoke where the towers were from a neighbor's roof, then set the first loop as the sound-track to that footage. Stills from the video were used as the covers for the set of four CDs.

he used a tragedy to make profit.

it's a beautiful record that reminds us the passage of time while consuming us quickly. Good for thinking about life

pretentious meme music

wait nevermind i just found out scaruffi gave it a 7.5, guess i'll probably give it a listen then

interesting, I'm just really fucking bored right now

first album i ever downloaded on limewire back in early 2004

whenever i listen to this album i can smell burning

9/11 or something

9/11 core literally.

Does anyone have the link to the video of that former p4k journalist explaining that he left p4k because theyre a bunch of psueds who praised this album

the music has nothing to do with what happened that day, it makes no fucking sense, it's nothing new and it's just based on a dumb coincidence over-exploited by adding a concept

>those last three digits

Great concept but I personally don't get much out of listening to it
This sums it up

HAPPENING! 9/11 2 CONFRIMED TO HAPPEN TODAY! EVERYONE STAY HOME

Theres a video where an ex p4k journalist basically explains this. Cant find the link tho

THESE PLANES WERE LIKE VRROOOOOOOOOOMM
AND THEN THEY WERE LIKE **craaaaashhh**
AND PEOPLE ARE LIKE "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH"

Its a really nice ambient album with a cool concept. No idea why it gets so much hate

>tragedy

heh

>Those digits
Nice seeing you guys

i want to see this

Basinski is genuinely a hack
I am hesitant to call people bad musicians but Basinski is actually such a fucking hack

Because the album is literally just a gimmick disguised as being somehow relevant or meaningful to 9/11. Basinski is a hack whos cashing in on a tragedy

youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI

Chris Oot, i've watched this series many times.

The point of the music is not to be relevant to 9/11 you tard. It just happened to be that he finished it on 9/11 and so decided to use the picture as the front cover

>discover disentigration sound by accident
>record it for an hour
>9/11 happens same day
>sell that recording and claim it had something to with 9/11
Not only did that album require 0 song writing, talent, or thought on his end, but it really has no relation to 9/11

>the cover art is of 9/11
>not intended to be relevant to 9/11
Wow, really stimulates my neurons

Thank you

Listen to the music not the album cover you fucking triggered amerifat

>muh TALENT
Shouldn't you be commenting on an AC/DC music video on YouTube about how modern music is all made with synthesisers and takes no skill to produce?

In art, the end product is far more important than the actual creative process.

Its a technical gimmick that required no song writing. Why would i spend a whole hour listening to that? Why would he stick 9/11 on the cover if he's not implying its somehow meaningful to 9/11?

>Literally looks like the biggest hipster cunt I've ever seen.

What the fuck are you talking about? Theres lots of minimalist and ambient music that requires talent. Listen to fucking Stars of the Lid, Brian Eno, or jon Hopkins. Those are talanted minimalist artists who actually produced something of creative worth

fag

>the end product is far more important than the actual creative process

>implying the creative process has no worth
Of course the creative process fucking matters. If something was done lazily with little consideration, why the fuck would I listen to it? DL has literally no creative process

Also Tim Hecker. Shouldnt forget to mention him

>art, the end product is far more important than the actual creative process.
I recorded myself flushing my toilet over and over again for an hour straight. Its about the parris attacks. Ill send you a copy

kek

>The point of the music is not to be relevant to 9/11 you tard
You're right in that the music itself has nothing to do with 9/11. The problem is that Basinski tried very hard to imply that it did. He used a fucking picture of it as cover art, on top of selling people some ridiculous story of how much the music meant to him as he watched the towers burn as he listened to his album. He very clearly intended to link the album to the event, now whether he did that to sell more albums, or to build up some pretentious legend to make himself/his music seem deeper than it is, or if he legitimately thought that his album had some meaning in relation to 9/11, is unclear. But regardless of the motivation, we now have a mediocre-to-decent but generic ambient album in the 9/11 Museum.

I didn't know any of this until today and I've listened to all 4 parts multiple times thru. I agree with and think the music is really beautiful.. the context doesn't trigger me like it does so many others itt