I have an insurance guy coming out to check on my PC...

I have an insurance guy coming out to check on my PC. I had a power surge after lightening struck the building next to mine. My ethernet port has been damaged and im using my phone atm. I'm not sure the extent of my damages but I would love to make em worse. Any chance Sup Forums can help?

Inb4 stick metal into my PC
Inb4 suggestion to inflict harm on myself

you're obviously retarded, I wouldn't push it if I were you. But I 'm smart, so...

Sucks op, If only there were a device that protects against such power surges. I'd invent one, but I'm not smart, so...

Next time let the windows open the way electricity can scape naturaly, dont be retarded.

rearrange the keys on the board to spell something sexy. maybe he will be impressed and show you his anus.

Alt + F4

if your ethernet is fried, insurance is probably just going to replace the whole computer since that means your motherboard is damaged. messing with it to make it look even worse is just going to risk your whole claim being denied for fraud.

Thanks. I figured as much, but my computer seems to boot fine otherwise. It does start quite a bit slower than before.

as in it takes around 2 minutes from its usual 30 or so

I am indeed retarded. I meant 30 seconds

Unplug the fans and let it run for awhile, maybe play a game or something to speed up the process.

The stupid shit about insurance is they'll nickel and dime repairs by only replacing one part at a time and eventually replace every part until it works, all while paying for the service calls of the technician.

We've had them spend (at assumed labor rates of like $30 an hour) more than the device is worth trying to fix it when replacing it would have been cheaper and easier.

Nexttime fucking unplug the damn thing

I mean I had a surge protector for my PC, but dumbass me didn't have one for the modem/router. They are fine, but my port is fucked. Easily replaceable, looking for a few more replacements if I can.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they're going handle it other than sending out an adjuster. I've literally NEVER dealt with renters insurance before and want to see what I can get out of it since I got it.

Etherkiller.

im an adjuster
trust me, we know.

just tell the truth at the in-person meeting and be cool about it. make some connections and common ground. talk about how you're excited about the new nvidia cards out or something. they'll hook you up without having to commit fraud and fucking all of your premiums up across all insurance products lol.

Had a coworker get $6k from insurance for something he had fixed for $4k. He kept the rest. Why not use the insurance I got?

Oh, awesome. I'm not usually one to look for quick cash like that, but I've recently been fucked over with health stuff so my money has been zapped. Good suggestion, and thanks for the info. Any tips on how you know? Its fine if not. you seem chill enough.

I don't think this would cause the same damage compared to that of a surge. Wouldn't that just look like a part over heating until it died?

honestly its hard to say.. so many different things, triggers, and questions that you'll either have to answer or coverage would not be provided. Lies are obvious regardless if they're well practiced or spur of the moment... its like this: you've made goddamn peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or whatever for 5, 10, 15 years straight 5 days a week 40 hours a week. You'll fuckin know when something is wrong with a PB&J from a mile away.

Don't make it seem like you're fishing. Just be cool. Pretend you're meeting an old college friend for coffee or something. Try to make genuine interests without being demanding, needy, or expecting. The adjuster is just your access to the insurance company's money. They write the files and their word alone will either save you or fuck you. Play the person and you'll be cool. Hell, they may even WANT to help. They get stuck in shit positions too, deal with shittiness of insurance claims and other things as well.

Good luck user

Man. I wasnt expecting a good response, but boom there it is. So I should assume they have a fairly computer savvy person? They want me to give em 500 for a deductible and at that point, if it's not a full PC replacement it's not really going to make it worth it. Thank you for the help though. I'm not sure if the damage is far more extensive than the surface stuff so far.

you become an expert on fuckin everything at this job
with that being said, you might get an adjuster who is either new to the industry, or new to the products, or new to the job completely. i've just been kind of giving you pointers assuming you were meeting someone like me.

if they're new, pretend you know even less about computers than they do. mid way through the conversation ask their opinion on if the product should be considered a total or if its repairable..then casually mention you checked out some comparable units online and ask if you need to show them that, too. That's like crack to new adjusters - Its a lot easier to just replace the entire thing. You can kind of fudge the details a little bit there probably.. but don't push it just in case.

regarding the deductible, ask if they can just take it out of the payment to you for ease.

if its just your ethernet port its probably just a mobo replacement which will be less than ded anyway.. so yeah, it would be better to just close the claim without payment.

there's such a thing called a UPS. in case of extreme weather knocking out power, it keeps electronics (eg your PC) from running out of power so you can shut it down safely.

Op can't inb4
So my input is anything that will inflict harm on op

OK. So I have a few shit tier parts. IE a monitor with color distortion, an SSD that works 20% of the time and an old ass mobo that if replaced would be, price wise, better to get one that is better/newer. If I claim those as well would it be help or hurt my case?

Can I talk to an adjuster before making a payment or is that I no go?

Thanks for all the help again.

Ya got me.

Be sure to tell him about your CP collection. That should up the value.

There's such a thing as sarcasm. It seems to have gone over your head.

if you tell them you want to weigh your options before they issue a payment its no big deal..hell, if they issue you a check and you have a change of heart its no big deal they can just stop the check.

it won't hurt or help your claim.. just use common sense, don't torpedo your claim by giving too much info like saying the ssd was having issues prior to the loss, or the color in the monitor was starting to wash even before the incident.. etc. Even IF the loss actually killed the unit, the statement that it was having issues before MIGHT just be grounds for a denial - they might call wear&tear for all, partial, or none of the claim. If you say that stuff to the adjuster, hes kind of forced to look out for the insurance co's interest.. Especially if they have to review something with their supervisor (takes seconds when they're on laptop and aircard with lync/skype for biz) who will likely be a lot less flexible than the field adjuster.

>Op can't inb4
Are you 12? You really think any kind of "rules" on Sup Forums mean jack shit?

Awesome! I figured that claiming ANYTHING having prior damage would directly affect the way they would handle the claim. Should I clean the fuck out of my PC? Also, my GF was the one who talked to the insurance company and said that my PC would be priced around $2k, which isn't that far off if you include everything that I use. The tower itself is more along the lines of $1,000 - $1,250.

So I just looked at some links about this. Never heard of it before. So it essentially fries w/e part that its connecting to, or will it fry everything that is important and look the same as a surge?

I wouldn't recommend cleaning it. I start thinking things aren't as they seem when things don't appear 'normal' to what I feel would be normal for an insured.

example: your apartment/house is a mess, or not quite perfect, dirty dishes in the sink, clothes hiding behind doors, etc.. then i get to your computer which is damaged yet spotless, and theres a ton of dust bunnies around the tower/on the monitor? Small point, but it gives me something to think about and see how far my suspicions go.

Get an electrical cable with a plug on one end and two bare wires on the other plug it in and drag it randomly over components on you board.

It'll fry any of the smaller components, your cpu ram and whatnot. Attempt to not die in the process.

I'm not going to do the math for you but just remember strong magnets and physical hard drives don't mix.

As likely as that is to work, I feel I am just as likely to be caught in the electronics massacre.

I've never been good at math, but isn't that going to look very different compared to what surge damage would look like?

only if you are an idiot.

>had to post this dumb question.
Ok, actually there might be some trouble. Put down your phone, try not to swallow your own tongue or forget to breath.

well yeah, it got fucked by a bolt of lightning. What's your CPU and GPU?

Unless the adjuster is a computer forensics investigator he's not going to have a fucking clue that a magnet fried your hard drive vs electrical short. Both can fuck up memory. Another thing to try (I shit you not) build up as much static electricity doing a shuffle with you feet and touch parts of the motherboard. If you can see and hear the spark you are doing some serious damage.

I was a computer refurbished for 3 years, I know what I'm talking about.

> attempt not to not die
Kek

This is all fine and dandy, but what are you gaining? Do you just want your old parts to be new? Or are they gonna just give you a money amount to spend?

I have my pc set up to look like that :)

Makes sense. I was just worried the inside would look possibly too dirty and would cause the person to think it had issues prior.

inb4 OP fucks with his computer like a faggot and the insurance guy notices- OP has his entire insurance plan voided for fraud and gets nothing.

OP can't >inb4

Dude gave you terrible advice. It's the adjusters job to make excuses to not give you money. Not cleaning the computer absolutely makes it look like it might have stopped working from neglect instead of the accident.

I want to have new parts and anything left over would be great, but I'm not really being that picky. W/e they think is easiest for them honestly.

I actually forgot about static charge doing damage. Always figured it would have to look worse than it is. Like black burn marks and shit.

Report 653: claimer had a messy house but computer was spotless, we cannot give him money because he's obviously lying based on the fact that his computer is the only clean thing in the house.

You are retarded. It's the adjusters job to find excuses for why they should not give money to the claimer. Saying his computer is the cleanest thing in the house is the opposite of a reason to not give him money for damages.

Delete system32

Seriously though, probably would help if you took some copper wire and just start crosswiring slots and ports. Or open your psu and short some shit

So clean it, but not too well?
Like "yeah I give a shit, but not THAT much of one."?

All you are doing is claiming that the electrical short fried your computer. No physical damage has to be seen necessarily, it's a he said she said and if there was confirmed electrical damage from the building next door you don't need to make it look worse than it is. Unless it's a direct bolt there will rarely be damage you can physically see it's almost always functional damage which you will show them when you turn the computer on.

I wouldn't over think it, if it's pretty clean cool. If it isn't and looks like shit I'd dust it a little bit to make it look like you cleaned it last month.

depending on what computer you have, there should be a "self-detonate" trigger next to the
money mechanism. Just under the firmware flash chip.

trust me, i'm an adjuster

Have you tried putting it through your dishwasher?

Thanks for the advice. I assume time between it being shown and when the damage occured doesn't really matter? Can I do this to other parts (graphics and CPU)? Like can I use it the best it can and then, before showing, just zap,zap,zap?

start a fire near the powersupply?

OK. good reference of time. Thanks!

That's called insurance fraud, a hefty fee, court fees and possible jail time you fucking idiot, but be my guest.

They can literally tell if it's original damage or not.

Put your ram in backwards. Force it in.

>not wanting to punish that kind of person by informing him of the potential consequences
why do newfags even?

load windows 95 your insurance guy will weep

you have an insurance guy coming to check on replacing a $200 mobo, with a $1000 deductable on your homeowners policy?

ill take things that never happened for 500 alex

oh lord that hurts to see.

You've changed my mind. I no longer want to do this. Thank you for your service.

Well thanks for the help everyone! Heading off for the night. Gave me lots to think about and consider. Didn't expect this to stay on Sup Forums for more than two minutes.

Fucking kekked
> force it in
Made me physically cringe

Retard

the things we do.

could you square up that desk?
>triggered

ill get right on that

Can we get a heatsink installed on a heatsink next?

Yeah, water damage really sucks man. Probably won't get you a new phone.

why?

well done

bcuz changing the firmware and upping the power output to increase range makes moar heat than the chip can take

understood, thx

Sup Forums can /rv/ play in your thred plz

ya, bring it

Overpriced shit here