How er, um smart do you have to be to build guitar pedals from kits?

How er, um smart do you have to be to build guitar pedals from kits?

I want to build amps and guitars, too, but I figure tackling pedals would erase my fears more easily.

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/1gdgz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

from kits?
like buying something with parts and soldering them together?
not very

soldering looks difficult. how many hours of practice until you got good?

it's super simple and a good point to start since the 9V won't kill you and the rest of your equipment if you fuck up

What level math do you have to know? Ohms law looks a bit complex to me. I'm just a musician, gawdammit!

none, since it's a kit

Amp contain hellish electric demons that will have no mercy on your fucking ass. Dont fuck with them.

from my experiences i'd say one or two. it is extremely important that you use a good soldering iron, doesnt have to be one with a fancy station. i'd recommend a weller iron. also don't use lead free solder. and use some kind of fan so you don't inhale said lead

is there a way a safe way to build/work on amps?

I bought a soldering fan that sucks air into a filter. Will that work?

anything that blows the smoke away from your face works. a filter is just a nice bonus. soldering is actually very very easy, don't worry about that. but you might burn yourself once or twice

Start shocking yourself with little capacitors and work your way up to bigger ones

>but you might burn yourself once or twice
will rubber gloves help?

Great advice, I can now take 1,000,000 volts with minimal flinch.

they will help getting smeary hot rubber stuck to your skin

gloves will probably make it much harder to solder. don't do that. you need to build a relationship with your iron and that can only be built on pain. if you don't feel the burn you can never become a soldering god

What are the best websites to buy DIY kits for pedals and other cool shit?

Its the amperage that kills you

I already bought a bunch of disposable cameras for the capacitors. should i just start climbing power lines now or ...?

sause?

>and use some kind of fan so you don't inhale said lead
You inhale the flux, not the lead, and it's a problem because it's a respiratory tract irritant. With continued exposure you can develop a sensitivity that will lead to asthmatic symptoms.

Also a temperature controlled iron really is beneficial (you won't burn traces off the board anymore), and the cheap Chinese ones (Aoyue) are totally fine

streamable.com/1gdgz

do i have to know ohms law and shit if i'm using schematics and not a kit?