youtube.com/watch?v=ORFWHNkuzfY
youtu.be/azdwsXLmrHE
youtu.be/aQGvlemqUpE
youtu.be/dPCu8mQZWqU
youtu.be/jNqnZd967PM
youtu.be/La4Dcd1aUcE
youtube.com/watch?v=uGD-kZeET5g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, new wave, post punk and pop were great in that time.

objectively true

I used to play in hair rock bands in the 80s. Good times

>He doesn't like Synthpop

the worst decade for drums, but not music in general

garbage synths and emos, punk was dying in 80's, pop is the most garbage of all

try again

Synths were in the early days and sounded terrible. use was crude. new wave and synthpop much better currently

Haha no. The 90s is the worst so far.

>grunge
>nu metal
>gangster rap (though some of it was alright)
>techno
>alternative rock
>Ska

Terrible technology and fashion as well.

I agree
youtube.com/watch?v=aIbhkQlQAsU

Nah, 80s is actually one of the best decades for popular music. It's the only one that actually focused mainly on making visceral popular music. Other decades have artists like Beatles, TVU, Radiohead, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, etc. be the dominant force; these are all musicians that made objectively inferior music because they attempt to meld the worlds of art music and popular music together with end results that are nowhere near as cerebral as art music nor as visceral as popular music. It's better to be good at something than try many things and suck at all of them.

It was the worst for pop music but the uderground music of the 80's was patrish

Disagree

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ApK7Xqn7x8

name patrician pop music from 80s

Lazy cunt

youtu.be/1y3TKv7Chk4

downhill decade right from the getgo

youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU

lol enya >> Sindee Laupner

why don't you like grunge? Listening to it through a nice pair of speakers really isn't the real thing.

You have to go EXPERIENCE grunge inside a grimy, smelly basement packed with people smoking cigarettes, the stink of cheap booze everywhere, and instruments cranked way too high and screaming feedback every second the guitarist's fingers leave the fretboard.

such were my high school days.

Enya was an 80s artist as well. Though I would take Lauper over her any day because Enya's music lacks energy.

Prince
New Order
Talking Heads

youtube.com/watch?v=ORFWHNkuzfY

Because grunge is shit.

80's pop music focused on NY clubs and getting coked out of your mind. Just look at Grace Jones becoming a top selling artist

I can't agree with gangster rap, techno, and alt rock being bad when there were so many great things to come out of them in the 90s. Grunge had a few good albums, but it's very overrated overall.

Nu metal and ska can just fuck off though. Same with that green day and blink style of punk. Pop punk was a mistake.

agreed. but the contributions to alternative/indie rock, electronic music, hip hop, and R&B overshadow those mistakes

2000's by far. Pop and hip hop was at an all time low, rock was dead with only some good albums coming out, and nu-metal made metal become the joke of the industry.

b8
Garage rock revival, art rock, etc

This is one of the worst opinions I've ever seen

This is an 18+ board

They started out pretty well. New wave was a lot of fun. However, once New wave lost its steam in the mid 80's pop became a lot of cheesy R&B schlock and hair metal posturing. However, New wave became alt rock and that stayed decent well into the 90's and became post rock and indie which are still decent genres.

*2000's

I used to think like OP when I was in high school because I thought the 80s was exclusively hair metal and dance pop. Listen to more music OP. You're truly ignorant.

The only ridiculous thing about the glam metal/sleazy rock/cock rock/striper music to me is the fact that they are 50+ something and think they' re in their first 20 years of age.

Look all that godamn make up and fag accesories... they're not better than Maddonna pretending to be hot and hip.

are misfits considered 80's

also metallica's good albums. appetite for destruction

i would say the 80's undergroudn music paved the way for the acceptance of the best early 90's music

i give it credit in some areas like metal and punk/post punk that i like. but everything else, while i appreciate as a foundation, is not my style. most new wave like the cure, smiths, etc i dislike, and the synths/early drum machines are boring. glad it happened but it has been much improved upon

Uhh the 70's would beg to differ.

That's because you're an uncultured teenager. Go back to it in a few years when you're more open minded

false. just not where i fall. fucking shoot me if i have to listen to the cure all day. gimme that garage rock, punk/protopunk type shit. never was into emo so not sure why out of college i would suddenly be like oh yeah, i feel like a whiny bitch. hair metal is a joke

Like I said try again when you're older and more open minded. I don't even need to make an argument, your posts do it for me.

prob older than you. and my entire point was collectively, the positives from the 80's can't stack up other decades, and the negatives are worst. what do you point to as the greats that i apparently am too crazy to "appreciate"

>
>punk was dying in 80's
Great? No? That's why post punk took its place and actually did something with the idea of punk, even though it was a rejection of it.

The fact that you think music is a competition, decade this and decade that, tells me a lot about you. You got a lot of growing up to do kiddo

i agree, the biggest plus the decade gets. does that give everything else a pass? nope. does grunge give all 90's shit a pass? nope. but alternative, indie, and electronic develpments def do. since a lot of the new wave is not my style then no contest

shucks i guess i do. i guess shitposting decade competitions wasn't the way to have an informed but non-serious argument about music styles with other Sup Forumstants. Should have posted on plebbit where everyone's opinion is right and no one wants to be challenged what makes music good or not

Imagine being this pretentious

Wait. So are you saying the music itself was the worst, or that its contributions to music in general was the worst? Because those are very different things.

i was saying 80's music was the worst as a whole. the contributions can be appreciated but in terms of what holds up in playability lacks. shit i appreciate the contributions of the 1930-40s in terms of jazz, blues, and the advent of rock and roll. that doesn't mean i am gonna be listening to duke ellington and fats domino.

First,
>Hating on Fats
Second, I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. I'd argue that a lot of Hair Metal can still hold up if that's what you're into. Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, all those guys can still be bangers if you don't act pretentious about it.

no hate for fats, own a LP of him but in my rarely played category. and i don't dislike hair metal but conversely i have never played an album by any of them except maybe van halen. greatest hits is def < great projects/albums. like guns and roses, acdc plus. but 90s has a ton of great rock albums like beck, pixies, blur, etc. same with classic rock in 70's and 60's.

youtu.be/azdwsXLmrHE

Consider yourself fought.

You meant 00's and 10's?

>garage rock revival, art rock, lo-fi, blues rock resurgence, indie rock and indiepop, basically all electronica sub genres

try again

>punk was dying in 80's
uh no? punk was thriving in the 80's

>a bunch of revivals
so a bunch of cover bands suddenly get big, how original of a decade

I think the 80's were a live music era. You'll be hard-pressed to find a song that wasn't meant to be played to an arena of screaming fans, and that was a product of the fact that rockstar was a profession to strive towards. I doubt there's an artist in the 80's that wouldn't have been amazing to see live.

Punk was at its peak in the 80s. This cannot be refuted.

rock the casbah 1982. clash officially mainstream. punk is kill. post punk yeah but punk no

dude both pop punk (descendants) and hardcore punk started in the 80's and then husker du, minutemen and rites of spring happened and the punk world flipped upside down
clearly you have no idea what you're talking about

>An artist hits the height of their popularity
>The genre is dead

>not understanding the evolution of music
did you want people to play exactly like son house did? music combines and builds to create new shit from past sounds.

t. a really pretentious twat

>Joy Division
>Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
>Talking Heads
>The Smiths
>The Cure
>Tom Waits
>Kate Bush
>Minutemen
>Glenn Gould Releases
>Peter Gabriel Solo
>Talk Talk
>The Fall
>Glenn Branca

90s still the worse

I have a pretty high tolerance for overblown cheesy music, I fucking love Rhapsody. But 80s hair metal is just painful to me.

you literally said it was a revival aka it did everything except evolve
if it was an actual evolution it would've gotten a different name but people used the same name for a reason

1860 was a terrible year for music. Everyone was too preoccupied with the civil war to do anything worthwhile with composition.

Rhapsody is a fucking parody of real rock, so your shit taste proves me right.

thats just the fucking genre name it was given. as in there was no real garage rock from 60's until it really exploded again back in the 2000s, with a similar sound but obviously with modern influences. it revived the style. but genres are stupid nowadays because of all the cross pollination between musical styles

>America is the only music
youtu.be/aQGvlemqUpE

>thats just the fucking genre name it was given
which was none whatsoever. didn't even read the rest because your point is flawed

that's true for the most part except for Stephen Morris, that dude could outplay a drum machine.

This.

The Austrians/Germans were killing it as well.

youtu.be/dPCu8mQZWqU

City Pop is a great genre of music, and no one can tell me different because Vaporwave, lo-fi, and trap music are all hinging on its existence.
youtu.be/jNqnZd967PM

Agreed.
>Most famous example youtu.be/La4Dcd1aUcE

My dick can't handle this level of funky bass.

>why don't you like grunge? Sure the music isn't good but when I was a kid it was a cool fashion statement.

Maybe that's why we don't.

no

youtube.com/watch?v=uGD-kZeET5g

>kiddo