Last night. Charlottesville @ the Jefferson. Animal Collective was fucking awesome...

Last night. Charlottesville @ the Jefferson. Animal Collective was fucking awesome. New version of Sweet Road was pretty damn awesome!

youtube.com/watch?v=v7AQPwDrlJ8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They also played Bees, but Bees sucked. they literally just threw a 4 on the floor beat over it...didn't sound very good.

I thought it was cool sounding, it gave me a weird Company Flow vibe

I didn't like it, the guitar chords didn't match rhythmically at all with the beat, Avey was forcing his vocal measures to carry the flow of the song. I was groovin' to it I guess but it was the worst song out of the set in my opinion.

Sweet Road though....so fucking good.

They also did Pride And Fight but instead of "I'll stand here with my Pride and Fight" Avey kept saying "I don't need your HBO" in the same melody. Wonder what that's all about.

hes been doing that for a while actually

Holy fuck and I thought Miami's crowd was bad, that just sad. Awesome version of Sweet Road tho

Really? First time I'd heard it. Just glad he did something similar cause I definitely screamed Pride and Fight from the crowd. God damn, such a good show. Was glad they didn't oversaturate the set with Painting With songs. I love Painting With but to hear these nearly Water Curses style renditions of Sung Tongs songs and MPP era songs in the style of Painting With was really awesome. Guys Eyes was pretty awesome last night too. I'd heard their version last tour in Richmond and it wasn't nearly as appealing as the version they played last night. Fucking awesome experience.

I locked eyes with Avey about 12 times. he so cute

Yeah it's like they don't even know any of the songs....a lot of these people probably came hoping to hear Bluish or My Girls.

which is weird because in Miami (the scene if pretty shit) I thought I'd have to deal with those fans too, but a lot of them new Painting With more than anything else. Of course they got crazy for Summertime and Daily tho

I lost my shit when I realized Sweet Road was being played. But yeah pretty good mix of songs from different eras in this tour. Which is nice. I wonder if it's a conclusion to their "pop" phase and if MOTW is any sign they'll be returning to more traditional instrumentation with ambience and whatnot. What do you think?

I mean, if deakin is back for the next one, and the less poppy attitude of The Painters EP means anything, then Id say youre right

What if they keep Jeremy on for the next album as drummer, Deak plays guitar, Avey does keys/guitar and panda does keys/synth and geo does texturizing/noodling/atmosphere?

yes, Jeremy does jazz drumming, Deak does jazz guitar, panda plays synth, they hire studio musicians and avey processes a bunch of saxes and horns while he sings pop melodies over top of that, inventing avant garde free jazz neo psychedelia pop

Thats what I'm praying for desu, I want them to pick up their guitars and drums again. Id be okay with Jeremy drumming on tours but Panda records his drumming for the album. I have this crazy idea that I think they should at least try once. Now that Deakin proved himself with Sleep Cycle, They should be a song with triple the harmony with Avey, Panda, Deak like they did with the ending of Did You See the Words (Deakins line is the deep AHHHHHH you hear in the background)

I have a fantasy that their last album will end with all of them doing a harmony that cuts off, but leads into "Our Prayer" from The SMiLE Sessions

I want Animal Collective to cover Vegetables.

Wonderful would be better

god dammit i wanted to go to that but my friend ghosted on me
saw them in richmond though, they fucking rocked. they played kids on holiday and it was amazing

Yeah I saw them in Richmond too in November. Honestly bro, this show was way better. Should have gone!

Songs that AnCo could cover by The Beach Boys:

Vegetables
Take Care of Your Feet
Surf's Up
Warmth of the Sun
Wonderful/Song for Children

i was at the richmond show, too, i decided to go see whitney in dc last night instead of trek down to cville for the bois. glad it was good! jeff shows can be shitty sometimes because of lame crowds... seeing anco open for fleet foxes at merriweather in july so hopefully they bring the heat for that

when will Panda scream in a song

saw them live last summer and they only played PW songs, fucking mad

I thought Fleet Foxes was opening for Animal Collective...?

What did you expect after the dropped Painting With? When they dropped Centipede Hz they didn't play MPP songs. da fuq homie?

why, painting with is good

last time they came to my country was seven years ago, I was really hyped for at least an MPP or a SJ song :,-(

When I saw them last show they played Summertime Clothes, Guys Eyes, Loch Raven and Kids on Holiday. Guess you were just unlucky then.

seeing them next week and i've never been so damn excited
looking from recent shows they haven't be doing jimmy mack, but here's to hoping, it's my favorite of this era

They might, they played Kinda Bonkers and Peacemaker last night.

Australia fucking WHEN??!?

Guys, there was a massive Mega folder someone had uploaded to Sup Forums an year or two ago with a whole bunch of AnCo live recordings, solo live performances, interviews , etc. I remember sharing it on a few AnCo threads myself but I can't find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd love to find it again.

yes they did. i saw them right after CHz dropped and they played four MPP songs and one SJ song

Check Collected Animals.

that sounds awesome, hopefully someone has it

thats because non-autistic bands will usually play the songs their fans want to hear

On his s/t. On the Farm

If by non-autistic you mean stagnant and dead in the water, sure

literally every band in existence beside Anco will throw their paying customers an occasional bone by playing some fan favorite tracks. I saw them on the PW tour and they had close to zero stage presence or charisma. To each their own, but for me it was easily the worst show I've seen in the last few years, out of at least a dozen.

swans doesnt

What are they thinking? It's like they're out to prove every one of their critics right. They sound so bland and ridiculous. Not even a pale shadow of their former selves, this is a complete perversion and unwitting parody.

Avey sounds terrible for this entire performance, and Panda doesn't do much to redeem him either. The only exception to the horrid vocals was Daily Routine. Some of the music was nice, like Water Curses. Very sad to see the state they've been in the last few years though.

The live albums from this tour are goat though

They're not even g, let alone oat. Their live shows were undeniably GOAT from around 2006-7 to right after MPP. Fucking steep decline since, and this is the worst it's been yet.

be 100% honest with me. Have you actually listened to Live at the Ritz or Live at the Fonda? Because they're both really good

honestly, come on, a lot of their early live shows arent that good, somehow their singing sounds a lot better now than they did before. And they experiment a lot more

Yeah, I was hoping for a fresh perspective with them that I'd learn to appreciate PW, but the material is just awful. They had some gold with their Loch Raven and Bees versions though.

I agree about their early shows, but the eras I mentioned aren't their early shows and they were amazing imvhbco. Their vocals now aren't near as good as then somehow, and what kind of experimentation do you mean? If you mean they rework their songs a lot more, then I'm not sure that's true. If you mean they experiment musically, even if that were true the end result is not worth the effort these days.

I'm not trying to be needlessly negative, this is just my opinion as a big fan of the band.

I was there too (RVA as well in 2016), fantastic show

Was anyone else annoyed at the level of conversation during the opener's set? I was actually enjoying it but it was almost drowned out at points by the talking

Show in Charlottesville sounded twice as good as the show I linked in OP. You can sit here and say they sound like they're in a "steep" decline, but last night was one of the most engaging, fun, and overall awesome concerts I have ever been to. Not knowing what to expect next, getting involved with the crowd hooping and hollering at some points during songs in an offbeat with Avey, etc. Great experience.

>bees revamp
>gold
it's literally bees with a fucking 4 on the floor beat behind it. opinion discarded. the same is true for loch raven but it actually works because loch raven is already pretty danceable.

I wasn't really annoyed with the talking, her music was pretty damn interesting but, acoustic style sets like that easily get talked over. I actually checked her bandcamp out...her live performance last night was way more preferable. I feel like everyone that was talking though, was probably actually discussing her music. It was interesting enough to spark conversation immediately.

They definitely rework more of their songs these days. Taste is STILL going through changes, Sweet Road was made into a Water Curses style jam, Loch Raven was turned into some electro-house track, Bees was made into some trancey 2-step, Guys Eyes was revamped to fit in more along the Painting With instrumentation, etc.

As a big fan of the band myself, I can't really agree with you here. Being at the show and experiencing it live is completely different from sitting behind a monitor and saying "god they sound awful now."

I was talking about the Bees versions in the live albums the other user mentioned, not the lackluster Bees in the OP link.

They've been reworking their songs through all of their tours, I don't really think that means this current iteration is them "experiment[ing] a lot more." You're entirely right, being at the live show is a completely different experience and I've been to shows that video recordings simply don't do justice. That said, I've been watching AnCo recordings for years, through all their eras (also seen them live twice and watched video of the shows I went to), and they've never sounded worse.

Come on, the feels era was not good live

I'd have to disagree with you. Their Centipede Hz era tours weren't the best in all honesty. They lacked a certain energy. Last night was bumping the entire time, lots of energy, lots of fun.

Speaking of lives, I'm listening to Animal Crack Box right now. Never really listened to Do The Nurse, but I think I'm actually really enjoying it. For some reason the beginning half of it or the main melody throughout reminds me of James Ferraro or something.

I am pumped to see them friday

I don't think they were ever considered "goat" live...
youtube.com/watch?v=yqQ7tU26Q6E

I disagree, 2007ish and the MPP touring was their best imo.

I saw them during the CHz and their show, while not as good as the MPP show i went to, was quality. Ended on such a high note too. I haven't listened to the Crack Box much, maybe I'll do so.

Starland Ballroom, Stubbs, and Midi Festival were all GOAT, friendo.