youtube.com/watch?v=XiDR87-HRhA
youtube.com/watch?v=kCpF_cofkII
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IT FINALLY KEKED???

Try out the peak of Jazz.
Saint Herbie.

how does this album "finally click"

there's nothing that's hard to digest

I've never really listened to jazz before in my entire life. So I had to wrap my head around a style of music that I was completely unfamiliar with, but I think I finally got it figured out now.

bitches brew is good but it's more in the fusion territory, I'd recommend more classic jazz. Check out Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie's recordings, especially a recording called "Live At Massey Hall"- also features Charles Mingus, Max Roach, and Bud Powell. Any Louis Armstrong compilation is dope, Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald too. Blue Train by Coltrane and Monk's Dream are more classic albums not too out there. Literally anything pre-bitches brew Miles is gold and easy to follow allow with. Source: Jazz Major

this
it is so difficult to learn to appreciate aesthetic forms with which you have no cultural grounding. one is not necessarily an idiot for not getting it. however we might say if we were being elitist that one's cultural programming has plenty to do with one's ability to access the sublime. i think it would be healthy to have spirited debate on what art really occupies that spot tho. i am ambivalent on these points.

Ok guys I've also listened to Grant Green's Idle Times and it was excellent but not exactly up to the Kind of Blue level. Guess thats to be expected though since kind of blue is such a masterpiece.

Isn't this one a bit more out there? Maybe I'll listen to a few more albums before I get there. i fucking adore the cover though.

I'll save this, thanks.

I just listened to the first track, holy shit this is excellent. Thank you, I just saved it.

I know alot of people worship this guy, Ill definitely get around to him when I have the chance. Thanks for the chart

This is super informative, thank you. I'm very excited to dive into all of these albums.

This is insteresting. I've been primarily a rock listener my whole life, but Ive been trying to break into jazz for a while. Every once in a while I'd put on Kind of Blue but it would always put me to sleep. Tonight though, I put it on, grabbed some pretzels and a beer and watched the sunset outside the window and it just fucking made sense. Blue in Green had me in tears.

You can go right here.

The more jazz you listen to, the more you will realize that Kind of Blue is the greatest jazz album.

That album is a meme

not modal
not good
this

or this

Modal soloing isn't something you hear every day and definitely not something you "get" out of the blue. Harmony not resolving to the tonic isn't what most people are used to hearing really.

stick with miles. he has a lot of great music.

Pic related or the first "Headhunters" album by Herby Handcock

Wes Montgomery: Smokin At The Half Note

Herbie Hancock: Maiden Voyage

Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil

i understand. sorry if i sounded rude

Japanese jazz is so boring

It's for plebs and weebs.

Wayne Shorter - Speak no Evil

bill evans: portrait in jazz
(especially if you like blue in green)

This onnneeee

>post-war jazz
Bleh

A love supreme, portrait in jazz and the black saint and the sinner lady.

how do i get into a love supreme? it's too spooky

pleb
listen to spiritual unity then call a love supreme spooky

check out dave brubeck

you take that back

fucking kill yourself

More jazz. Sessions where Coltrane is less messianic.
Kind of Blues is actually a really nice intro to his playing aswell. It's a quite introspective and easy to listen to style but he doesn't compromise his sheets of sound aesthetic, virtuosity or conplexity to suit Miles' vision.
Stuff like the session with Ellington, Blue Train, etc. Too
Also, listen to meditations or something. Things get waaaay spookier than ALS. Might make you appreciate the length of the road. It all comes out of early guys like Armstrong and Hines and you can follow it all the way along in incremental steps if you've got the time and inclination.

What's jazz or culture got to do with accessing the sublime? That's obviously something art can do, but by no means something it has to do, surely? If art or culture were always accessing the sublime, the sublime would probably become pretty mundane.

youtube.com/watch?v=S6eZHnIA__A

how do you even figure out jazz

Now you have to listen to this

Not this This
(or My Favorite Things)
Not similar but you'll probably like
youtube.com/watch?v=pSPSPb1gdFc
youtube.com/watch?v=WoZZ08S4eyw
youtube.com/watch?v=lQKt7DTKyJU
youtube.com/watch?v=CvmJHprG_Fg&list=PLvWstQhRav6tboRTlduTuwrXPtLq_gFMy
youtube.com/watch?v=2TfxP6_MYrc&list=PLhf-B8P5bSOgW8OVdrBdOIezHYpc_Jc79

More daring stuff