>close DAW

it me

>want to be a composer
>willing to settle for indie video game music composer
>have a huge portfolio of music and resume
>don't know where to begin looking
>my anxiety is preventing me from looking for an opening

JUST

~"I for one believed that if I was good enough and practised enough and was into music enough as a musician and a writer that the best band in the world would show up and beg me to be in their band. But that didn't happen"

>write

You're doing it wrong.
Try improvising.

i don't know theory for shit
i just play

I don't give a shit you talentless turd. You think just writing good material is enough? Once you have good songs it's quite a bitch to draw people in to your shows. Especially if you play any genre that is not simple indie pop/folk/rock/punk or hardcore. Other bands will flake out on you and probably won't want to help because most scenes are cliques who look out for other bands that will draw them people and fit into their style. It's tough.

i don't care about playing to other people. i just want to create music and i can't. i come up with shitty ideas every once in a while but i can never build off of/complete an idea.

i don't give a fuck about playing for others. i gave up on that dream a long time ago. been playing guitar for 11 years now and i've never so much as played in a band, let alone a live show. i just want to make something for myself

>wants to become a composer
>doesn't know jack shit about theory
>can't even do something as simple as read music and relies on tablature
>expects it to just "happen"

Absolutely disgusting, how about you start with baby steps and learn a thing or two before you walk like an adult, faggot.

>composer
no one said that, you dolt
also, >implying you need theory to create music

You're actually retarded.

What is your idea of composer? Someone who strictly writes classical music or something? God you're fucking pathetic. This is what I'm talking about, you don't know jack shit. Have fun sulking in your "waah waah I just want music to appear and sound good" mentality for the rest of your life.

thanks buddy, good luck with the autism

tfw dubs 3x in a row
tybg

I'd rather have autism than willful ignorant, you wannabe "musician".

confirmed for autistic as fuck lmao

t.wannabe shit slinger

Fuck off I agree with you, what do you think of university music courses regarding this?

this is not op btw
t. op

you're the one with autism here man. even though theory isn't necessary to write music, you should at least know it if you actually want to "write"

legit like if you haven't written a song after playing around any instrument for a couple weeks you're probably not creative enough to be a songwriter. forget 11 years lmao

that's perfectly fine btw, creativity is a bitch. 2/3 guys in my last band were not creative and if it was 3/3 we might still be together

when i said write, i meant come up with songs, not sit down and construct a formulaic song w/ theory

i write shit, but i never like it enough to finish anything i come up with. shout out depression

okay but simply knowing the basics of theory makes coming up with songs like not hard at al

About a month ago I got really creative and came up with a concept for an album and I have recordings of ideas for like 10 songs for the album. I keep trying to go back and build off those ideas and turn them into full songs but it's like I used up all my creativity and everything I write out add to it now sucks

So now I'm stuck with a bunch of really good sounding recordings and ideas that aren't full enough to release and they're just going to sit there and never come to fruition.

Feels like shit

>rest of soundgarden btfo
>rest of temple of the dog btfo
>all chris' backing bands btfo
>rest of audioslave btfo

i understand this. i plan to try and improve my theory knowledge at some point in the near future, but it's hard to know where to start, seeing as my theory foundation is spotty at best at this point. there are certain things i remember, but a lot that i don't.

don't worry, if it makes you feel better your ideas might have just been shitty anyway

Those don't count though since he formed all of those bands

if they were good, he would have finished them
t. musician

not him but there are many musicians who wrote stuff by hear

>implying it's not 3000 times

I have upwards of at least 1000 projects in my daw and I have at least 500 that are usable and 90 percent aren't even finished

>btfo
I have wilfully avoided not knowing what this abbreviation means for years now, successfully

what you're saying is you need bitch boys to help you

i was stuck in the same rut from 15-19. eventually i learned i needed other people's help in order to finish my songs. not everyone is a bedroom pop genius who can just sit down and make a whole fucking track
what you're saying is you need bitch boys to help you

i was stuck in the same rut from 15-19. eventually i learned i needed other people's help in order to finish my songs. not everyone is a bedroom pop genius who can just sit down and make a whole fucking track

blown the fuck out idiot

Listen, man. Shit is not easy. It never will be (with extremely rare exceptions).

It's simply a matter of working hard and believing in yourself. If you can't handle that, you'll never EVER be a musician, much less a successful one.

SO, with that said, quit bitching about things and wishing they were better on an image board, and go put in some fucking WORK on music. You'll thank me later. Trust me.

the thing with theory is, you will learn it on your own without trying if you're actually out making some fucking music.

this is how ive been learning theory, never once set out to do so for the sake of just learning it, but always researching whenever something pops up in composing that I wish I knew more about. Which is quite often. also its helpful to retroactively examine parts you write for tracks or the whole track itself when you're done to figure out what techniques you've inadvertently pulled from theory that you haven't learned about yet. looking up stuff like that as you go can be a great way to get over writers block.

Although eventually I did get to a point I wish I knew more about the vast majority of it, but the thing is, if you try to force that mindset before youve been making music you wont know how to apply ANY of it and it will go totally in one ear out the other. i make at least one track per new theory thing i learn, as many as I need to be totally comfortable using what I learned.

so if you want to get good, get off the fucking thread and start making some music.

it took me years before i finished a song. pretty much immediately after that I started finishing 1 in 10 of my projects. finishing tracks is more of a barrier to overcome in the learning process than anything else (though i have depression too so maybe it is that). but anyways, its not worth finishing a song if you cant come up with a good 4 bar loop and you dont know how to transcribe it if youre playing real instruments for some reason and you have no idea how you'd add other bits and pieces to it and arrange it and record it and produce it and all that bullshit. focus on what comes immediately next in you getting good, dont worry about making good finished and polished tracks, worry about making yourself a good songwriter and make every track a practice track.

this user is giving good advice

don't get hung up on making a track and being like "this one is gonna be fuicking amazing" because it's probably not. dylan had duds.

Random thought, but I've realized that I know that I've gotten good at creating a particular form of art when every comment on Sup Forums about advice or ideas for creating that type of art makes me cringe into a black hole.

yeah i know but i don't have people to play with. clearly i wouldn't have this problem if i had musicians to bounce this shit off of

then you need to find them

if you live in a big city it should be easy. if you don't live in a big city, you're a fucking musician, what are you doing. move

i can work hard, but major clinical prevention gets in the way of the believing in myself part. it's the same reason why i give up after 5 minutes of playing the guitar a lot of the time -- that voice in my head won't stop reminding me of how lame i am in general

i'm also noodling in between posting so do not worry friendo

thanks for the advice, my man. i tend to get waaay ahead of myself. i'll come up with something and dismiss it because i can't see how i'll be able to make something unique or cool out of it. looking at the big picture instead of building off that idea

i live in a major city

>prevention
depression* lol

idiot!

Thanks for reminding me about Wilfred, user. Now I have something good to watch tonight.

You think you're the first wannabe artist who's battled depression before? Not to belittle the suffering that depression can cause, but you HAVE to overcome it if you want to achieve your goals.

That all starts with living a more conscious, healthy life. I believe in you, user. Don't disappoint me by throwing excuses around. No one is gonna do it for you but yourself.

Yeah samesies as other guy. None of my friends are musicians and I don't want to just get some random person to work with

This so much
>come up with chord progression
>make bassline
>come up with nice melodic guitar line
>can't think up lyrics that don't sound like shit
>fml

You guys take this shit too damn seriously, You just have to have fun with it. Don't overthink it. Let the garbage lyrics flow to your mind and expel them. I mean listen to my shit, I can make beats and samples fairly well but I have a voice that only a mother could love. I've been taking all of the old tracks that I've started and ignored and decided to finish all of them. Then I'll start fresh. It's the only way.

soundcloud.com/saturnsgold

keep doing that man

Fag

Jimi Hendrix didn't know theory or how to read music

Well that's cause he was black, that's different.

you should participate in "Sup Forums makes an album" threads
I see a lot of people calling it good songwriting exercise

plus it's all crap anyway so no one will judge you
thememefriends.bandcamp.com/
hangingdong.bandcamp.com/
suicideisanoptionrecordsc2016.bandcamp.com/
installafriend.bandcamp.com/music

you guys are both autistic lol

he also played seriously for 10 years before he got famous. you're just being lazy.

>fully compete several albums worth of music
>never actually release it
> be the only one to listen to it

Fuck

Quit being a fucking pussy and upload it to the Internet.

I have this weird thing of having some musical talent but rarely actually enjoying music

If you wanna get paid it's unfortunately not a one man show. Pick one: either you're on the pioneer mixing for the singer, or you're a dj which isn't a musician unless you know actual module and analog synths, or be the singer, the guitarist, or drummer in a group, and start making cash from touring at the pubs. Daw musicians, don't make money... (Unless they get a singer for one of their beats and they register it with ascap or BMI,) BUT then it's usually a duo, like alunageorge, or marian hill...there's a lot of routes you can go...but regular old daw music with zero vocals... can be reallllyyyy good, but people will always want some lyrics, and stations will always want it to be legal.

me too:
soundcloud.com/user-655852679

so you expect to be jimi hendrix "just cuz"

just keep sucking, you get better with practice

good, you realize that you suck. just stop now and dont go any further down the rabbit hole. its a bad game man, go learn how to do something useful

Is there any software out there best for making music or should I just get a daw?
I would like to think I create rock music but I only know bass with a a bit of guitar. Is there some software out there to help put together all the instruments so I don't have to go out and record myself playing drums/guitar/anything else. Last time I fucked with a daw it was ableton and it appearsd to have pretty much every instrument. I would think that could work but also open to any other suggestions

no, you need to actually buy an instrument and record it. If it were that fucking easy nobody would play real instruments.

there are lots of software plugins for drums. ezdrummer is a good one and you can get it sounding pretty real with alot of tweaking and smart programming

you can probably get a plugin with guitar samples but its pretty unlikely youre gonna get anything that sounds decent

you're welcome my man

thanks. i'm trying to make changes and shit

kill me

i take everything too seriously though

>I want to make music
>open DAW

Theres your problem.

This is not a digital vs acoustic argument.

Most of you cant compose, most of you dont practice composing, most of you cant play an instrument that makes composing streamlined.

Learn the fucking piano, sit down, write tunes THEN produce them.

Or else you will just make disposable dank soundcloud beats for the rest of your life.

but i make guitar-based music so...

>go to guitar center/music store
>pick up guitar and start playing your own riffs and songs you wrote
>everyone asking me what band that is so they can look it up/download it
>it's just a song I wrote, haha

music for this feel?

So? So what? Get a shitty Casio or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

> most of you cant play an instrument that makes composing streamlined.
>most

Great, you play a guitar.

Now practice and learn composition.

any recommended theory books/sites?

if you can't figure out what you need to know through google alone, you will never make it bruh.

Part of being self-made is knowing how to know how to learn.

>he founded audioslave

>want to be a musician
>write lyrics
>no band is looking for a vocal

Ungrateful fucks.

post lyrics/vocaroo

learn the circle of fifths, then work your way from there.

why don't you learn some? learning curves are never comfortable but it's an investment in the end

>want to be a musician
>everything you right is amazing

>everyone says you'll eventually find your own "sound" if you keep making music
>have specific taste and a decent idea of what I want to make
>can't make anything even vaguely like it and everything always ends up sounding completely different from what you intended
>going on 4-5 years and every single track in your slow unreleased output is completely different yet still all sound like shit
>tfw the only consistency in your entire music output is that they all inexplicably sound like garbage

The reason why your songs are shit is because life is a simulation, you are an NPC and the admin is saving CPU cycles on the creative processing in your brain. You probably dont even have a main character name like trent reznor.

i'm just asking for suggestions, i'm clearly capable of using google but it doesn't hurt to ask others for advice
stop being a prick

see:

Learn theory and train your ears. It'll let you pinpoint the notes floating around in your head.

Honest Shit Sup Forumstants are my lyrics shit?
Artist: Edible Moon (me)
Album: Edible Moon
Song Title: Analgesia

Lyrics: Will you help me mend?
Relocated to the back of my mind
Where have you been?
Detrimental devotions are all I find

I linger in the rain
I welcome the pain
Raindrops embrace my remains
The darkness in my life stays the same

Will this ever end?