How can we stop this "rap is good" meme?

how can we stop this "rap is good" meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0_PyqMVyyVo
youtube.com/watch?v=Tna0Mmu1XlI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

By purging the redditors and normies

I don't know but what the hell happened to the joker poster

reminder for folks replying to this that putting "sage" in the options box still works

>le im 2 sofisticated 4 rap

have a bump on me

mods sticky

Ok I'll try

Did I do it rite?

try listening the infamous by mobb deep or illmatic by nas, they're pretty good albums.

sure, there are some great rap albums. phenomenal even. however, originality and creativity is incredibly hard to find. it's shitty

easy
trap music is incredibly popular. at these live shows, people are crowdsurfing and getting down in the pit like they would at a hardcore punk show. granted, most of these dudes at rap shows are white kids, but hey

we need to bring hardcore punk back somehow. or something similar, you know, just with instruments and not muuuuh 808s and bass

i think you have a warped perception. because rap is so popular, there's a lot of shitty generic rap music. this doesn't mean isn't a lot of good rap music, even new stuff. try listening to some kendrick lamar, joey badass, etc. also, some stuff which seems stupid on the surface is actually pretty good. eminem has a lot of fantastic stuff despite the fact that many people would label him as immature and childish. i consider both the slim shady and marshall mathers lp's to be top tier albums. tracks like my fault, remember me, amityville (skip bizarre), and just don't give a fuck don't get enough recognition.

Can we have an actual discussion here?

When a hip hop artist is aware of the roots of the genre, such as jazz, blues, hip hop, bop, reggae, and edm, they have so much in their arsenal to create a work of art instrumentally. Hip hop alone has created a new style of beats that doesn't just revolve around the wide array of drums and cymbals. It gave rise to many other sub genres and local scenes, forming a huge culture beyond just you pleb rap. Like seriously, hip hop is an amazing genre and disregarding it is just dumb to me if you like music enough to come to Sup Forums

The obvious recommendation would be Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly (Because honestly that album is amazing, just give it a shot), but there is so much more that you're missing. Try out Damu the Fudgemunk's Vignettes, Nujabes' Modal Soul, eDIT's Crying Over Pros For No Reason, and Uyama Hiroto's A Son of the Sun.

Seriously, you're missing out if you rule out any genre in general. Except metal, I'll be fine without that.

>kendrick
okay
>joey badass
hmmmm....
>eminem
ok this is a trole post

I don't blatantly disregard the genre, but it's incredibly formulaic and people just bite each other left and right. Many of these rappers aren't really musicians. It annoys me. Sure, there are plenty of rappers pushing the boundaries of the genre, but they are few and far in between the swagfags with muh 808s, autotune and migos flows

is it too much to ask for musicians to actually -play- an instrument?
inb4 >vocals are an instrument
fuck off, speaking is not an instrument

Why do you fetishize the ability to play an instrument?

lol go actually listen to some rap then come back and bitch about how bad it is. i doubt you've even listened to all of illmatic, 36 chambers, or any other classic albums. i recommend actually listening to sslp and mmlp before declaring eminem to be shit. you've probably only ever heard my name is and real slim shady, try listening to remember me, fucking incredible song

but to only look towards the past to see what hip hop should be in the future sets a lot of limitations. Great achievements in rap and in any other genre have done by expanding and disassembling these preconceived notions.

For rap I'd say something like Cannibal Ox or Dalek is an example of this.

because an instrument actually takes skill to play live, even if they're playing basic dadrock blues pentatonic bullshit

Oh cmon you know that's a bad argument. Van Halen, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, etc all are just, "RIFF RIFF RIFF RIFF SOLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
There is shit in every genre, but every genre also has its gems. Listen to Captain Murphy some time, the actual rapping part at the beginning can be off putting at first but its a great album with some really cool ideas.
Vocals are definitely an instrument, and if you actually played an instrument you would understand what I mean. Here, just go listen to some Radiohead and tell me that Thom isn't using his voice as an instrument in most of Kid A.

i've listened to illmatic and 36 chambers chambers many times
btw liquid swords > both
fuck off dude, i'm not saying all rap is bad. just 99% of it

yeah but thom also plays guitar
also, ed SAMPLES thom's vocals using a guitar pedal
aka shut up lol

and i do play an instrument btw

Pre-2000's rap was great. We still have a few people that are creative and talented, but for the most part rap now is just one pedal bass note that makes your car shake, a drum beat going in straight 8th notes and whatever dumbass rapping over it in triplet 8th notes, not because it's polyrythmic but because they don't know dick about music and they have no talent. Also the only people holding up this shitty genre are suburban white kids that vape. If we could just get rid of this bullshit rap would still be amazing

Jesus dude calm down.
Thom's voice is used as an instrument, lemme go find that quote where he says he uses it as an instrument.

the triplet shit really grinds my gears

yes but he is also singing and not just speaking in triplets

i've been playing classical piano for 13 years. you do not need to be skilled to make good music. that's why the ramones were titans of rock and ynwegie malmsteen is a joke

are you implying that playing guitar is just as easy as speaking, aka something we do every single fucking day? k

also, muh 3 chord punk argument is stupid, because that shit is harder than one would think

you started a bait quality thread and get offended when people question the retarded things you said in your bait thread. at least bitch about modern country music next time, new country is wayyyyyyyy worse than rap lol

Well that's the beauty of rap honestly. Usually the rapper is telling you a story, and if its a half decent rapper he should know that you should switch up your structure. Honestly I think I might find some Russian experimental hip hop for you if you give me a minute so you can actually just see his vocal style as an instrument. Russia has a pretty decent rap scene and since you can't understand what they're saying their vocals really do become an instrument, so it helps you appreciate our hip hop. Give me a minute to find a good one.

nigger culture is ingrained in the culture of the youth

I'm glad someone agrees with the triplets thing, one guy did it for like 4 measures and was cool so shit talentless mumble rappers do it for entire songs. The worst examples I can think of for those who have no idea what I'm talking about are

>Water - Ugly god
>xxxtentacion - look at me[me]

im retarded for even responding to this thread, sage sage sage

ask your parents if they would have aborted you if they had the opportunity to

man, black people were titans of jazz, blues, and rock
what went wrong?

botherations?

t. suburban wigger that moved to LA

lol try again moron. for a minute i thought i could convince you to get into a new genre, but after seeing your post referring to rapping as speaking, i realized that this thread was bait. my only request is that next time you make your shitty bait thread, it's about new country. i would happily circlejerk and bump your bait thread if you made it about new country believe me.

Why is anyone mad that people enjoy a genre of music? Why does it matter? Don't go to the rap threads, that's your answer.

im not him and ive listened to a shit ton of rap for almost 3 years straight

>implying that these threads aren't bait
>implying that OP's parents never loved him and he's trying to fill the void in his heart with (you)s

Why don't black people make rock music anymore?

bump

wrong guy
t. op and guy you're mad online at

We cant

god this shit always makes me laugh uncontrollably

I don't think kids that rap should be allowed to sell music until they're at least familiar with the good artists from the golden era (I'd probably frame that at 85-95 even though I know it's not really that, but I think those years fit better). Some artists I'd include would be Eric B. & Rakim, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Grandmaster Caz, Guru, Nas, NWA, Wu-Tang, etc. Hip hop is just one of those genres that really can only work when it's good. There's not enough in the formula to coast on it (like shitty pop rock music), so for rap to be good, it has to be REAL good.

youtube.com/watch?v=0_PyqMVyyVo

>How do we stop people from liking this thing that I really don't like and will go out of my way to denounce instead of ignoring it and not consuming it like a normal human bean

pepe silvia :)

>normal human bean
>Sup Forums
pick one

true
But I don't think you need to be a normie to be normal

but what about CAROL

this entire office is a goddamn ghost town!

yeah but the problem is that Sup Forums attracts the sort of people that are living pro-choice arguments

Good goy

You have never had sex (with an attractive female)

jej

:)))))

how can we stop this "music is good" meme?

you need to stop posting here, for one

Now here we see a thread chalked full of (c)rapists. They are all desperately trying to prove that (c)rap is good while failing miserably and losing what little dignity they had along with it. Somewhere in their tiny brains they all know this so called form of """"music"""" is bad however, if they were not fighting for (c)rap, they would have nothing to fight for at all. Because as we all know, they are nobody to us yet they get our (You)'s because they are so much dumber than us and will give them right back.

boy you sure owned me!!!!!

i need more (You)'s
give me more (You)'s please

This post could easily be from here or /r9k/

you would know, aspie

fpbp

>NO U

why do people hate rap so much? is it autism? i bet it's autism

>swing
>bad

>free jazz
>good

it's a meme you dip
>alt-rock above shoegaze
i mean it's obvious

Well OP, we'll need to destroy all every good rap song first, and everyone who has ever heard it.
Once that happens, you can shit post about your shit taste all day and no one will question it.

>3 good albums
>a good microgenre

When will the shoegaze meme end?

>he thinks there are limits to Sup Forums's shit taste
So naive, leave while you retain hope.

>mumblerap
>that high
At least try bro

force every teenager at gunpoint to listen to some wishbone ash

youtube.com/watch?v=Tna0Mmu1XlI

Rap was good. Modern rap is literally just a beat, bass line, and mumbling. Zero production effort put into it anymore. I'm not an expert on the actual rapping skills and flow and all that shit, but it also seems to collectively be worse than it used to be.

bumperinolole

The quality of production is heavily dependent on the producer. If you listen to most popular rap, you'll hear simplistic composition and sometimes overproduction, but this is true of all popular music.

One rule of thumb in rap is if the producer knows no sound design or how to chop loops, then their music will be lifeless cookie cutter bullshit. But once you step backward in rap's history by sampling or toward the cutting edge by having great sound design, then good things start to happen.

how can we stop this "rock is good" meme?

Provide an example of modern "cutting edge" production that is actually of quality.

OH-HO-HO!

Well, completely disregarding the treasure trove of good sample based rap, (keep in mind we're only talking about production here, not lyrical content) there's a lot of good stuff out now from Zaytoven and Mike WiLL Made It if you enjoy a more traditional take on trap music, or if you're into more electronic dark sounding stuff, Eestbound and Wondagurl have some incredible tracks (for instance, The Prayer by Travis Scott). Due to my personal preference, I have a lot more examples of good sample based music but you didn't ask for that.

UH UH UH NIGGA UH YA SMELL ME CUZ? UH UH UH FUCK YOU CRACKER ASS WHITEBOYS, YA'LL JUST MUH PLAY TOYS, I CREEP ON YA IN YO SLEEP WHIP OUT MUH GAT & IT GO 'BLAT', FUCK YO WHITE BITCH AT YOUR FUNERAL IN THE BATHROOM, SHE COMES BACK TO MUH ROOM, I PLAY WIT DEM TITTIES LIKE TWO BASKETBALLS DEN SLAM DUNK DIS BBC UP HER CORNHOLE, & YO AS IM BOUT TO BUST IN HER ASSHOLE TIGHTY SHE SCREAMS AN MOANS 'FUCK WHITEY'

YOU SMELL ME?

Sage

Bump