/prod/

Music production general; UbuntuStudio Edition!
>no soundclouds
>always use clyp.it
Discuss music production and show us what you're working on! Anyone here work under Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists
ubuntustudio.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio
help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/GettingStarted
ubuntustudio.org/download/
clyp.it/iy0vka4b
clyp.it/mdaa1bhi
clyp.it/a33hqvgl
clyp.it/tnx24pgw
clyp.it/fb4qcfa1
clyp.it/1ke2ryjj
bedroomproducersblog.com/
clyp.it/050amtph
clyp.it/xtri4jju
clyp.it/dnfldf1v
lofi.hiphop/vb/forum.php
clyp.it/wzvuxpzq
clyp.it/mo1s1jup
clyp.it/ixgwpl3m
youtube.com/watch?v=DP3aVMlVW88
clyp.it/uic5lx3k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Beginners' list:

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

(Ubuntu Studio resources)
ubuntustudio.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio
help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/GettingStarted
>Ubuntu Studio is an officially recognized flavor of the Ubuntu Linux distribution, which is explicitly geared to general multimedia production. The original version, based on Ubuntu 7.04, was released on 10 May 2007.
>As of Ubuntu Studio 12.04, the default kernel is linux-lowlatency, which in essence is a generic Ubuntu Linux kernel, with a tweaked configuration to allow for stable operation for audio applications at lower latencies. Since much of the real-time patch has now been implemented into the vanilla kernel, and considering the difficulties in maintaining linux-rt, Ubuntu Studio decided on using linux-lowlatency in its place.
>The scheduler allows applications to request immediate CPU time, which can drastically reduce audio latency. In 9.10, the "Ubuntu Studio Controls" provided under System>Administration permit the user to "Enable Nice", allowing the use of wireless networking and proprietary graphics cards drivers while maintaining low audio latency free of XRUNs (audio drop-outs) in JACK. A more negative value entered for nice reserves more CPU time for real-time audio processes.

(Download Ubuntu Studio for FREE)
ubuntustudio.org/download/

>clyp.it/iy0vka4b

This is my latest project that I have been working on. Any tips or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

philosophical question coming through for /prod/
is it really necessary to understand synthesis when you never have to touch an actual synth?
why learn all of it if you're just going to slide some virtual knobs and choose a sound you like

Kick needs more variation, I feel. Some of them feel too loud for the context, some need a little more edge. Otherwise very nice and dreamy.

Is the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 a good interface?

its not hard to understand synthesis anyway

it's not like you're learning math or anything

people told me FM synthesis was difficult and too nerdy to get into but I read a big book on it and coasted through it and believe me i have a runty underachiever brain but now i can program a DX7 to fuck

so just learn it, it's really easy so don't be discouraged by how it seems academic because it isnt at all its like playing a video game

I'll make sure to spice up the kicks. Thanks for the feedback!

hey /prod/, I will share with you my latest 3 projects which have revolved around the jazz style.

This is a jazz-funk piece I did with a feature vocalist (who's from a samplepack kek)

clyp.it/mdaa1bhi

Then some smooth jazz which was inspired by LA Noire

clyp.it/a33hqvgl

and last some jazzy string arrangements I did with LASS

clyp.it/tnx24pgw

All of the above are made by me with Kontakt Libraries.

These sound really nice. I've always wanted to make stuff like these

what bass did you use in the first song?

It can aid predictability or why something does what but is not necessary

about to give up mixing this. Wanted to add more drums but there's no room

clyp.it/fb4qcfa1

Love it. Would fit in an ad or something. How do you sell beats?

Dear friends, I'm looking for an extensive acoustic bass sample pack in wav. Any tips?

Nice, user. The sax on the second one could use a filter if you ask me. Too much treble. Same goes for the strings in the third imo. Otherwise really nice old-timey shit.

Maybe tone down the bells a little to make more room?

I don't I just release stuff for free on bandcamp. I'm using samples so I can't sell it

Are we really using busyworksbeats in the sticky? I guess he might help some beginners but his beats are just bad.

I just copied from the last thread desu

Dude everything in the sticky is awful. The Art of Mixing is abysmal

I need help and don't know if this is even the right place to ask. Im looking to start recording my own stuff. Some live instruments, some computer. I guess some hard equipment is needed but I guess my main question is this: is there a free, preferably lightweight program i can use to help me with this? I know next to nothing about production. Please point me in the right direction.

Ubuntu Studio has everything you might need and it is FREE!

I keep seeing these KBplugs softsynths all over vst4free and KVR's plugin list. Don't bother getting them. While it looks like an impressive collection of synth emulations all they do is copy the filter paths; all the oscillators and filters are SynthEdit defaults like any other piece of shit synth made from the SynthEdit demo project.

Where do you find any actually good synths that are free?

where can I pirate Omnisphere 2 from? Ableton Live Suite also if I can. Broke as hell and can't afford the two and hardware on top of

hey guys, i'm looking for any tips or criticism you have.

>sample based bass music

clyp.it/1ke2ryjj

thanks in advance for any feedback!

Can I run it on Windows?
Sorry if I'm revealing too much of my pleb level

No, it's an operating system ;^)
But you can install it next to your windows and choose which OS to use on computer startup.

I see what bedroomproducersblog.com/ posts about and then try them to form my own opinion since he can be easily impressed sometimes. Typically the best free plugins will have a big community so you could look for plugins with a lot of patches on KVR or patcharena.

God I must sound like a grandma
I'd prefer not to do something so involved because the computer I plan to use is owned by my company, which is not music-related. This is also why I'm hoping to find something lightweight because it's not exactly a powerhouse of a machine.

Appreciated as fuck!

I like Synth1 a lot, Charlatan, Dexed, and Cobalt, but Cobalt's only really good for 80s stuff since it's meant to be a digital analog hybrid synth combining 80s-era digital waveforms with analog filters and those waveforms lack a lot of highend sheen.

Typically whatever comes with your DAW will be good though.

because sliding some virtual knobs is still synthesis. a softsynth is still a synth.

also does anyone else feel like they just can't into synthesis despite knowing what all the functions of a synth do?

It depends what you want to do. Focusrites have good preamps but benchmark worse than a lot of other interfaces when it comes to asio latency. So good if you want to record things, but you can probably do better if you work exclusively or mainly in the computer world.

I like these. Got any tips on writing melodies in that noir style of the sax in the second one? Are there particularly chord/scale combos to use?

>why even do anything yourself? Just use presets lads

If you know what everything does just screw around a bit with it until you get something you like. If it goes nowhere go back to the default preset and try something else, the possibilities are infinite. Hell, few days ago i unwillingly made an old Flux Pavilion squelch fx.

Is the make noise pressure points the closet thing to a keyboard with freely tunable keys?

Soundtrack thingo

clyp.it/050amtph

Synthwave thingo, posted it in the last thread but didn't really get any feedback before it died

clyp.it/xtri4jju

i've been producing for 6 years lol i've definitely done my share of screwing around, it just never started feeling any more intuitive compared to things like sampling and using effects/eq/compression/etc.

>Focusrites have good preamps
no they don't. at least the 2i2 doesn't

if just for conversion purposes, yeah it's fine.

if you're recording things look elsewhere.

How to sample on Reaper?

I want to create a virtual drum instrument on Reaper based on sample audios i have.
Can reaper do that? How to do it?

wow, sound great

whats a good interface on the same price range? for recording, with small to no latency

I feel that way too. Try NI Rounds or Sugar Byte synths they're very fun to screw around.

hmm... looks cool. i've had effectrix for a while but i've never looked at any of their synths

that first piece is really good, but the vocals seem out of place and unnecessary
if i were you id ditch them completely, add some bright and catchy leads and you have a legit great track

p i r a t e

clyp.it/dnfldf1v

How can I make the voice sound less nasal?
Any general thoughts, overall?

love the synthwave thingo, the soundtrack one was decent imo, didn't like the percussion as much as the guitar

love the lofi sound, can you point me to any good guides or tutorials to achieving it? I geniunely suck at it.

Thank you!

This site can be really useful:
lofi.hiphop/vb/forum.php
And for inspiration and some laughs, unironically, frankjavcee
Although his tracks usually don't sound that good, he usually sheds some light on what makes each genre sound unique and how to achieve it

I use Izotope Vinyl over almost every track, and it works wonders when trying to achieve that lofi sampled sound without actually using any samples. Just try not to overdo it or else it will sound super forced and fake.

I also use some electric piano to make the base. On this track I used a Fender Rhodes VST, but usually I just use a stock electric piano with some alterations and effects

clyp.it/wzvuxpzq
My first piece where I did the music myself.
Please tell me on what i can do to make it better.
I also want to some descending "arp-y" sounds.

Does anyone else find starting with the drums makes it hard to focus on everything else? Like once I have the drums down, I can't really focus on making melodies or what not. In future I think i'll start off with basslines and melodies first

Thanks so much! Have a good day user :)

don't feel bad about using presets. all the biggest moneydick hacks in EDM use presets (or they outsource their sound design to label studio monkeys) and they get blowjobs from models lel ecks dee

What i do is make projects with different drums depending on how heavy of a song they can fit in, then when i have an idea about melody or basslines i get back there so they're already sorted out. The pattern comes later.

Those actual artists' music is probably 10% important, the thing mainstream promoters is a passable face for the public mass and an understanding of the so-called formula. After these criteria they just pick one in 1000 and there you have your relatable traktor dj.

I only make shit from scratch if the sound i need literally doesn't exist. Most of the time i just tweak presets. In fact, i don't even remember the last time i made a Pad from scratch.

Sometimes you're in the mood to write, sometimes you're in the mood to synthesize.

Gotta save all the sounds you make for later, like Noisia.

clyp.it/mo1s1jup

I call it lalilulelofi house. What do you guys think?

I feel like if I make vaporwave but with that 90's sp vibe people are going to call it lofi hip-hop.
Am I wrong?

make noise pressure points is far from a keyboard by any means, but i get what you mean.

you could achieve that with a simple midi controller though, and for 100x cheaper than a modular rig.

unless you have a modular rig already, that would be a good piece to get if that is what you are trying to do. There are also other modules like that, i think Future Retro makes one.

yeah, that happens to me sometimes
try to only build some of the drums, dont fill it all out at first, add extra syncopation later on after you have rhythm/melody.

They might, but it's not a problem
Listen to Friday Night Blues by Delorean.88

It's on Business Casual, a mostly vaporwave label, and it is kind of that lofi hip hop, but before it was the meme it is today

Made this the other day. Super new to /prod/, so I haven't had time to check out the tutorials, I know I need to fade the piano out at the end. It's really rough around the edges, but any criticisms would still be appreciated.
clyp.it/ixgwpl3m

Also, as a cheap-ass student, does it matter what midi controller I get?

What does the fi stand for in lofi hip hop? Effort?

Thanks for the advice!

In same boat with the midi controller. Really want a 49 or even better 61 key but it's the different of £70 and £400 kek

Got an MPK25 at the moment, was going to sell it but decided having a midi controller, no matter how small, is better than not having one.

i would remove the rain, make the piano less harsh and add another acoustic instrument

Fucking idiots

solid ;)

Thank you.
Simon Goulding Bass Workshop I think it's called or something like that.
Thanks for the feedback, it's a trumpet with harmon mute on the second track.
If you study a bit of jazz harmony and grab a keyboard this will come pretty naturally.
Thanks

Anyone have thoughts on the Organelle by critter and guitari? (Pic) I wish I could try one out, it seems like a good competitor for the OP1.

The korg monologue can do that! God, I want one so bad. youtube.com/watch?v=DP3aVMlVW88

Also, I made a thing. Someone in another thread said there was some ringing in the mix so I've adjusted some reverb/ release lengths, hopefully sounds ok now.

clyp.it/uic5lx3k

>its a "i stand up while i still have my headphones around my neck" episode.
OH BOI

why do my higher notes have more low end energy?

Not sure what you mean, but I generally highpass pretty much everything but bass and low drums. That ought to knock out any unwanted low frequencies.

>not having enough headphone cord to walk around the room

What do you guys think of the early 2000s Dr Dre style production? I've been listening to beats like that a lot these days. They're extremely simple (at least composition wise) but shit's really nice.