Literal 10/10

>binge listen Illinois forever
>suddenly prefer michigan

>Folk

sorry guys but you're wrong

>thats not REAL folk!
>its not made by old men pre-1980!
neck yourself lad

i had no idea this board had such a boner for sufjan stevens but i remember finding out about him after going to tahquamenon falls and learning he had a track named after it. is that track one of the better ones? tahquamenon falls is beautiful in person

There's an old interesting quote about this I always come back to

"People seem to think that folk music is people with acoustic guitars. Or punk music is people with mohawks, leather jackets. It's all folk music." - David Portner (of solo fame and The David Portner Collective)

Okay, Deadmau5 and Young Thug are my favourite folk artists.

Instead of hyperbolizing, I'd enjoy hearing your logic to how an entire acoustic album about a man's growing up in a rural state, taking lyric & concept from the scenery and history doesn't count as 'folk'

Or are you going to just cling to the Sup Forums folk essentials graphic created by a suburban millenial?

>Instead of hyperbolizing, I'd enjoy hearing your logic to how an entire acoustic album about a man's growing up in a rural state, taking lyric & concept from the scenery and history doesn't count as 'folk'
Not him but if it's original songs the artist wrote, it's not folk.

Please learn2music

So folk legends bob dylan, jackson c frank, and many more didn't sing folk, I take it

it's a bright, pretty instrumental track that comes on the heels of one of the more heavy songs on the album

works as kind of a pleasant palate cleaner

it implies a very scenic location

I was only memeing, pardners

Stop making me look like an idiot you cuck

meh, genres are descriptive more than they're prescriptive

Sufjan is folk because he makes one of the kinds of music people call folk--i.e. ionian-scale melodic music with introspective or storytelling lyrics set to traditional western instrumentation and drawing form the traditional european balladeer tradition

you can argue we should use a better word for that, but that is the word we use for that

oh okay well I'm still gonna post this lol

>meh, genres are descriptive more than they're prescriptive
That depends on the artist
>Sufjan is folk because he makes one of the kinds of music people call folk--i.e. ionian-scale melodic music with introspective or storytelling lyrics set to traditional western instrumentation and drawing form the traditional european balladeer tradition
Since he wrote the songs rather than them being traditional standards, then no, it's not folk

Please pay attention.

See, that's your definition, but it's not the definition that the society you live in uses. Genres are annoying; I'm not pretending otherwise.

Also, the condescending tagline thing is a ridiculous trend. Check it out, I'll do it, to:

Thanks for trying.
Close, but no cigar.
You are the weakest link.
Try to keep up.
Goodbye.

>Anything by Ys or Pink Moon

>See, that's your definition
My definition? No I'm going by the official definition
>but it's not the definition that the society you live in uses.
I don't pay attention to idiots. Do you?
>Genres are annoying
Not relevant
>Also, the condescending tagline thing is a ridiculous trend
It wouldn't be needed if 1) you knew anything about music and 2) you learned form your mistakes

For a third time now, just because it's a singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar, doesn't mean it's folk. It's acoustic singer/songwriter or contemporary folk. But it is not actual folk music unless it's traditional.

Is there a reason you want to perpetuate misinformation?

Yeah actually, it is.

you seem like you'd be fun at parties. anyways, not the guy you're arguing with but I'm definitely on his side of this whole thing. the label "folk" extends far beyond the narrow constraints you're attempting to place upon it.

I have to vent guys

So I was at a singer-songwriter concerto and someone said the artist was folk. Here's basically how the convo went down:

>Guy, to his "friends": man this has to be one of the best
>Me: Excuse me, actually this isn't folk music.
>guy: oh huh? whats that buddy? (ignorant fool, this man was)
>Me: folk music is only applicable to artists who sing others songs
>guy: uh well Ive heard them cover some older songs
>Me: that doesnt count
>Them: didnt joan baez write some original songs too?
>Me: doesnt count
>Them: wait, then what about the people who wrote the old folk songs in the first place
>Me: doesnt count
>Him: whatever dude. (heh, the poor idiot)

I then went on to enjoy my singer-songwriter concert. whats wrong with people?

>not the guy you are talking to but here let me interject with irrelevant opinions form someone musically uneducated
you seem like you'd be fun at parties

What Sup Forums calls folk is 99% folk-ROCK or folk-POP.

please tell me of your musical education, I really would enjoy watching you sperg out even harder while only proving how out of touch you really are
you're not necessarily wrong, but it can still be referred to as folk music without technically being incorrect.

>it can still be referred to as folk music without technically being incorrect.
I don't think you know what "technically" means

This is a strictly worse version of Illinois.

If someone says they enjoy folk music, they are almost definitely referring to acoustic singer-songwriter music. Since that usage of it is so widespread, the term "folk" has evolved to encompass that sound, sort of like how asking for a Coke in the South is equivalent to asking for a soda. You don't shout at people in restaurants that "Dr. Pepper isn't Coke, you mongoloids!" because you're the only one who somehow can't grasp that Coke means both Coca-Cola and soft drinks in general in that region.

Those regions that are retarded enough to refer to all soft drinks as coke are redneck shit holes anyway. It's like calling all states in the USA California.

That's missing the point entirely

Michigan is Sufjan's masterpiece.