Why do users get so angry at people who don't share. I wouldn't be downloading shit if I had shit to share

Why do users get so angry at people who don't share. I wouldn't be downloading shit if I had shit to share.

SoulSeek thread.

pretty dumb thing to say desu

There isn't even sample music on your computer? You have no CDs at all to rip? No free bandcamp downloads?

Get outta town.

I don't think many people get angry but the only way that place works is if someone shares.

All I am saying is that I have shared shit in the past, and have been banned by people because I have downloaded what they have shared but have had nothing they wanted from my share folder.

Say, I listen to just pop music, but I want to try rap music, so I download a rap album and I get banned from an avid rap sharer because they don't like my music.

It appears to me that SoulSeek has some pretty big users that have God-complex about sharing.

I can't even upload stock music because the program shits itself whenever I try. I just try to speed through the albums before they have time to cut me off. Fuck people who shut you down when the last song is 50% done. a bunch of nerds desu

Just download a song from anyone thn set your downloads folder to be shared

There are lots of users who don't ban you for not sharing. Just share what you have - for example what you have downloaded from those. If you don't do this, don't complain about getting banned.

>banned by people because I have downloaded what they have shared but have had nothing they wanted from my share folder.
this doesn't happen

I haven't had this happen in like five years of using Soulseek.

Same.

>user has a custom warning set up for people who don't share
This is how you know you're fucked immediately

I'm paranoid about sharing shit. I don't wanna end up on some government copyright infringement list because I have an album or artist that's flagged for monitoring or some shit.

confirmed for normie music

Plus, they already flagged you for cp with your IP on this site

Only share artists who can't afford a lawyer.

If you honestly can't even take the extra second to share something, then you don't deserve slsk.

>download .flac
>compress it to 192 kbps
>re-encode to .flac and share it
Enjoy your "lossless" f a m.

didn appen of course

This literally never happens you fucking idiot.

>that one absolute piece of shit who will try to all at once download an entire discography of an artist/band that has at least 40 years of material that is easily available in a neat package on almost any torrent site
Why do "people" like this exist?

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Anyone has funny SoulSeek stories or screencaps to show?

Why are you sharing pleb shit? ;^)

>implying I'm going to manage thousands of folders using the shitty gui when they don't even have an "exclude folder" option and my directories change often

I do this but I spread out between three or four users because I know that nerds like you will cut me off halfway through

share the same thing you downloaded from slsk
if it gets deleted in someones system then your files will help instead
dumbfak

I had 2 extremely rare albums on share and I still got in queue hell / couldnt get peoples downloads

then I got on Redacted like a sane person and downloaded the same music in 1 minuet

Am I supposed to share the album folders separately or can I just upload my whole library/artist folder?

I only use Soulseek for stuff that is very hard to find and not on Rutracker

>automatically send non-sharer a message
>every few days block everyone who got one

Does other people never clear their completed downloads so they can see all the music they've ever got from different users?

disgusting

>It's another episode of some bastard trying to download an artist's 8GB entire discography from you

FUCK OFF

do you actually thank the guy after downloading some shit or am I just too autistic?

RIP an album, share it faggot

I never ever interact or note the slsk "community". I have my entire music folder shared of course, but I just keep the software turned off whenever im not downloading anything. weird that some of you even acknowledge them, if my download gets cancelled i just find another upload lol

I am amazed that Soulseek still exists, after almost 20 years

Slsk always downloads super slow for me but I have fast internet, any tips?

The community doesn't really encourage much of that behavior, and its not a big deal for me either.

>Soulseek exist since 1970
really amazed by this

Re-install I guess? it depends on the user's upload speed, you can filter that when searching so you get the faster one

Do you have any idea how torrenting works?

Just move to a shitty 2nd or 3rd world country lmao

well not really, shit on utorrent is really fast

How do I make them show in my messages? I'd like to do this.

I only share stuff to people on my list and only add people I download from - feels like I'm abusing the system or something

In several years of using Slsk, I've only been banned from a user's catalog once. Happened like a week ago, said anyone with less than 5000 shares is auto banned.

I do this. I guess I didn't upload to anyone with 0 zero shares since I reinstalled.

>Give and take, my friend. Shape and be shaped. This community thrives on participation - on your sharing of hard to come by artefacts, forgotten greats, hidden treasures... - and you on mine.

Post your custom messages.

>Share something you fuck.

Weird.

I should say I tend to only block the normies that log in only when a big record drops like DAMN. and take it.

Mine ended with #Trump2016 for a while to irritate anyone who leeched, but I realised that probably wasn't helping

Just use Spotify.

looool xD

lol

Name 3 artists you can't find on there.
Or are you complaining because you're a poorfag that can't even afford $5/m?

as a jazz person, I use Soulseek mostly to get ECM stuff. Plenty of other jazz-labels that are unfortunately not on any streaming services.

I can't find DI6's entire discography on there nor Illoyal's and I probably can't find Driss El Maloumi, Francois Roubaix, Elisabeth Waldo and the most important releases of Charles Manson's discography, Way of the Wolf and Horsefly.
Also, I like to keep my own files and not listen to someone else's.

>hipster shit
Jej

my downloads disappear from my list when they're gone and I have no idea how to fix it

None of that is hipster shit.

I don't share and I've only been unshared twice, I'm probably just gonna upload my library at this point.

Reading all of these stories, almost all of this stuff I haven't experienced

Bill Callahan
Spacemen 3
Joanna Newsom

Do people actually do this?

I know you're baiting but

Angels of Light
Swans
Big Blood
Alvaro the Chilean
Cookies
Cardiacs
Alternative TV

Transfers->Downloads->Clear Complete Downloads
It's a box at the bottom

high quality mixtapes

King Crimson
夢中夢
Shinichi Atobe

its called transcoding, and yes its very common

people who share transcodes need to be shot on sight. good thing I always check with spek

hahah you just got totally destroyed by the replies

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E

Where the fuck does everyone get their music from these days now that all the private trackers are dead? I'm sick of paying for spotify when half the shit I want to listen to isn't even on there.

>Soulseek exist since 1970
What?

No fucking idea.

You mean people are paying for music again?

>Name 3 artists you can't find on there.
Oh, Boris is on there! Let me listen to Feedbacker!
…oh no.
Pretty sure you can't find The Gerogerigegege on there either, as well as Boredoms or Hanatarash. I might be wrong, but the short time I tried looking through Spotify, all the cool underground shit just wasn't there unless it was released/reissued relatively recently.

probably the service that this whole thread is about. Ive never seen any reason to use anything other than SLSK

No, I was being sarcastic. Most people use spotify and similar services though which freaks me the fuck out. What the fuck is wrong with today's youth. They don't cherish their liberty at all, fucking lazy faggots.

>people who disconnect when I'm downloading something from them.
Literally the worst. And I never download more than one album simultaneously. I'm not free-riding I have a couple of folders shared. I can't share too much though because my connection is trash.

I recently had to wipe my HD and had no music (my CD drive died and I never bothered to buy a new one, so I can't rip my shit either) and whenever I got the message I just PMd the guy I was downloading from and everyone was super nice, some people would even add me to their list so I could get better queue positions and shit. But soulseek is only as good as the community is, if you wanna be a fucking dolt who won't share his library because of reasons, you should get banned.

I have a whole fucking list of shit that isn't on spotify plus coil and joanna newsom

>notice some guy is downloading AJJ's People that can eat people [...] from you
>browse him
>Animal Collective, Kanye, Death Grips, Sufjan Stevens, Neutral Milk Hotel, Microphones, Beatles and all that Sup Forums shit, the list could go on
I banned him of course.

I have never used SoulSeek, only blogspots, rutracker and the sharethreads. I want to try it. What are some things to keep in mind?

Share. Be patient. Utilize your wishlist.

Slsk is one-to-one, so could be that you just listen to music that's not popular with people geographically close to you and connections are slow - check first with some popular music from your region that it's not just this

How do you see what people are downloading from you? I want to do this.

Isn't Boris on there but only their recent albums? Same for Apple Music I believe. God, I hate it when that shit happens.

It's in the "uploads" slot of your "transfers" tab. Click on it, next to "downloads".

It's also what the second number in "Transfers[X/Y]" signifies.

wow you're a cunt.

>geographically close

Litterally doesn't matter in things other than video games. Some people just have shit upload speeds determined by their ISP or they manually limit it in soulseek.

No no, he's the cunt! Didn't you read what artists he has in his collection?

Why sometimes when I search for a random album I get absolutely no results? I refuse to believe that not one person has that album that is not even obscure.

They might just not be online. Or you misspelled it.

soulseek doesn't respond well to shit like apostrophes and other graphic signs, so that might be it, or you're just really unlucky and no one online has it. In such cases, the wishlist is your best friend

am i the only person who has the problem where theres only one upload, in 128kbps, and it idles when you start the download

>misspelled it
I didn't

>online
Then can I change so it also shows that people that are off have it too?

I know more or less how to type shit so it's easier to find. Like for example I was searching for Narkopop and I type Gas Narkopop. Literally no results. I know it just came out but it's still weird. I had the same problem with some other album (don't remember which one anymore) that wasn't new or rare.

It can not show people who are offline. Use your wishlist.
It really does take patience sometimes.

It's deliberate. Search something well known and you'll get no results. It's done to stop lawyers representing the biggest artists and record labels. Sometimes you can get round it by searching for track titles.

just put it in my share folder, try now

Oh, one trick is to type not the name of artist and album but album only and if that doesn't work the name of a song from that album, given it's relatively exclusive to that album.

Yeah, no one has it, couldn't find anything either (found Pop though)

Did you rescan?

ok thanks
still nothing
I mean I already have it though, just downloaded it from tbp when I couldn't find it through Soulseek and it should be in my folder. It was just an example.

This. You won't find anything if you search for the Beatles, Beyonce or bAdele