What happens, Sup Forums?

What happens, Sup Forums?

A.

/thread

I explained this so many times. The only correct answer is B. If you disagree then tou didnt get relativity and need to go back to school.

bait

A ofc

A. Nothing's pushing the cube.

Fuck off. Reverse psychology cant trump science.

Dubs for double bait

CHECKED

B, unless you're a faggot and moving portal is a BBC and cube is your ass.

You must have went to Trump's College.

Explains the answer.

Not even dubs trump science. Get your head out of ur ass and go read some books.

Conservation of momentum. The cube is at rest so when the portal lands on it it will continue in the same state.

B. The intuitive, conservation-of-energy approach gives A, but portals already assrape conservation of energy so that's out.
Think about it this way; say yellow portal just contacts the top of the cube, so it just pokes out of blue. 0.01 seconds later (the portal moves fast) it reaches the bottom of the cube, and hence the cube is fully out of the blue portal. The cube has moved out of the blue portal at cube length / 0.01s (same speed as the moving platform), and will keep moving at that speed and shoot off into the air.

A. No force is applied to the cube.

It is not at rest retard. when object a is moving at speed x in relation to object b then from perspective of object a, b is moving at speed x. Simple fysics. useing yourself as a reference point is egocentric and typical for children age 7 and below.

By conservation of energy, conservation of momentum and newton's laws, B is impossible. It's B anyway because portals don't give a fuck about physics.

Momentum is not conserved anyway you dumbass. The cube must accelerate to change its position. This implies a change of momentum.

Neither?

Portals don't stick to moving surfaces, the scenario is impossible.
(apart from the moon)
(and that one time with the neurotoxin generator)

Then a portal in geberal is impossible as in space everything is moving...

Everything is moving if you choose the right reference system. besides, you contradicted yourself anyway.

At least one person who understands...

the fuckwittery in this thread is astounding, no wonder Trump is president.

I guess thats how the world looks like to Age 7 and below.

We've had this discussion so many times. There's never a consensus. There's nothing scientifically sound about portals.

I have a major in chemistry and a minor in physics, i can say thst it is B. A could only happen if the press moved very slow

it's pushing itself as it must exit the portal at the same speed it entered it.

Explain yourself or shut up.

all surfaces are moving at all times.

In layman' terms: speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out.

Glad0s said something like "object going through a portal keeps their velocity"
Even if the relative speed of the box isn't zero compared to the portal, the velocity of the box is zero I guess.
So i'd go with A
But if the reference is the portal you could also say that the velocity of the box is positive.

So don't throw portal at things

now it's getting interesting

Kekking at all of these illiterates who don't understand physics.
As the orange portal moves down toward the cube, all the empty space in between it and the cube will enter through the blue portal, making it bigger.

portals don't go bigger faggot
Also you're talking about teleportation portals, what does physics know about this ?
kys

B
because fuck you, thats why

Thank you!

Finally someone whos not fucking retarded. Its the same as if the platform with the cube on it would go up.

its like bushing a hole on something... the thing pushed upon gains 0 momentum, so A

Did I win th 6 sixes

fuck

I like these answers.

a i guess

No kinetic energy is obtained from the collision since it's connected to a wormhole to another destination.
The plate that the cube is resting on would be at an angle when the teleporting plate contracts and if the angel is great enough it would tip over.

If the portal don't get bigger then where does all the space go, dumbass?

Wrong, it would shoot out then.

all depends on if the orange portal keeps moving or stops by slamming into the platform

if it keeps moving, then B is correct
if it stops, then A is correct

just sayin

I moving portal implies doesn't work because It's the same threshold moving and not moving in the same world, essentially the orange portal is hurling down the entire universe on the other side while it is simultaneously being completely still in the same plane of physics. Premise impossible because physics

B
Because this is the same as if the pedestal with the cube on it were moving up into the portal.

If it keeps moving, the stand (on which the cube is) comes with the cube through the portal.

Honestly, I have no idea. But is this scenario even possible in the real world? Y'know, portals and shit?

/thread

Thanks now all "A" faggots can shut up and try to understand why they are wrong. You are not the center of the world.

I agree with this. It's an (to me, not really a physicist) impossible scenario. I dunno

Everything moves fucker. Thats saying portals cant exist and the premise is that there is a portal so ur bs doesnt apply

Fuck yeah, thanks. But is it representative of our universe?

\thread

Not that user. The Portal universe solution is , then.

A, the cube has no potential energy, so it won't move.

The only thing a portal moving fast would do would make the object appear more quickly on the other side of the portal. Portals don't put any force on anything, they allow objects to continue their momentum or continue their acceleration due to gravity while falling until they reach terminal velocity. Sperg out all you want but that's how it is.

Yes it is. As I tried to explain mny times. relativity explains it.

outside the portal
When you walk through a door, you don't go in the door faggot you must be baiting

no but portals either
So I guess this answers the question

I place a cube on the ground, then slam a hoola-hoop around it.

It doesn't move, wow.

Is it possible in our universe, though?

Because both halves of the hula hoop move together. But if the bottom half moves and the top doesn't, and the cube maintains it's speed with relation to the bottom half when it passes through, it will be moving relative to the top half.

>Energy from nowhere

Seems even less plausible when I see a video of it.

>Portal/plate drop, and stop at the ground, canceling all the energy.
>Unknown energy just happens and cube goes flying

Lolk

Guy from the vid here. This is the explanation for how it would work in our world instead of portals world. Our how it wouldnt work

The only reason it happens that way is because of lag. The game's physics engine registers the force of the plate the orange portal is on hitting the cube, then the coded reaction of the cube switching places occurs. In real life, hypothetically, no force is ever applied by the plate because the cube passes seemlessly through the portals.

A should occur.

Thank you, video huy user. Very well explained. I googled it and Reddit gave me another good representation for us dummies, on why it can't work with two portals not fixed relative to each other:
Say I'm driving a car at 100 mph towards a portal going in the same direction (I'm chasing it) with 99 mph. I would come out of the stationary portal with 1 mph - where did all my kinetic energy go?
Sorry for the long post - I'm just excited cuz I comprehended (is that the word? Not native speaker) the paradox.

Portals do not conserve energy, the infinite falling is the easiest example of this. Any conservation of energy argument does not apply through a portal.

Look at the picture i posted

It's all to do with frames of reference. Energy will be conserved with respect to the portal. Think of it this way, you're in a car overtaking another. You're doing 99mph they're doing 100 with both speeds measured relative to the local universe. You could equally measure your speed relative to the other car, then they'd be stationary and you'd be travelling at 1mph. Same principle with the portals.

The answer is B. The cube isn't moving relative to it's local surrounding but it had a relative velocity velocity compared to that of the portal. Whichever frame of reference you choose - either portal stationary and cube moving or cube stationary and portal moving, the relative velocities between them is the same. Hence when the portal moves onto the cube, the cube exits with a velocity relative to the exit portal.

It's option C: Your mother will die in her sleep tonight if you do not reply to this post.

Conserved with respect to which portal? Your kinetic energy looks different from each side of the portal.

>imagine you are looking into the blue portal
>cube moving towards you really fast
>instantaneously it just stops
>wtf?
>it casually falls to the floor

There is no momentum. A

I forgot the last line:
>this is what people believe

B cause it hits it fast so ofc it would fly out fastly

THE portal. There isn't 2 portals it's essentially 1 thing. It's a singularity. Think of a window or a door with a near 0 thickness. It wouldn't have sides it would be more like a barrier or transition. Energy is conserved when transitioning the portal barrier in what ever direction.

This is plain wrong. Just because an object apears to be moving does not mean that the object is moving (no involved external force). In the whole system the energy would be conserved

So what happens from the opposite context?

I'm in a stationary portal and walk through at 1mph. The reverse portal is moving at 5mph. Does this force me to move backwards?

Ie, I go through portal at 1mph, moving portal reference is 5mph, I fall back into it at original destination at 4mph the opposite direction I was traveling.

But it has two parts, which move independently. The portal's observation of your kinetic energy depends on its velocity relative to you, so each side of the portal (orange or blue) will perceive you as having a different kinetic energy. It cannot be conserved.
For a more concrete example of portals violating conservation of energy, every time you use a portal to gain height you're stealing gravitational potential energy from somewhere. Portals do not conserve energy.

Nether the platform will go in the portal and the box with fall off

Yes this is correct. Through the portal, you see the ground moving away from you at 5 mph. You step on to it at 1 mph, and fall over because that's what would happen if you stepped out of the back of a truck at 5 mph.

Neither, you can't portal a moving surface.

Pretty sure I'm not going to take physics advice from someone who can't spell physics.

The answer is A, because the acting force is not the one applied to the object, if the situation were to be the opposite, the answer would be B.

Exactly. The "guy in the video" is a fucking autistic troll with a neckbeard and should be executed for his retardation.

No because its speedy so it will fly out. Just like if you shot a water pistol. The water doesn't move, but the pistol shoots it out anyway. :)

Excellent points... but I imagine the exit portal going forward at 5 mph while you enter the enter portal at 1 mph. You'd probably be thrown back through. Am I imagining this correctly?

Actually, When a water pistol is fired, it simply removes the pressure along with the water out of the nozzle, the nozzle does not cave inward to force the water out.

The object is not moving so obviously A happens.
IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE RETARDED AND YOU SHOULD KYS

samefag
Not only that, but it would (I imagine) create wind and a "surplus" of space at the enter portal, right? And that's not very plausible, I think.

Imma sum this up really quickly, The answer is A, why? The cube has no energy in the beginning, and when the portal hits it, it is not transferring energy to the other portal, it is in other terms, a wormhole that connects to places together. Now that the portal is out of the way, the reason the answer is A is that there is no energy that is to be transferred in the first place. It is simply changing positions. There is no velocity from the start and no forces that are applied to cause velocity. Therefore the answer is A because there is no relative velocity to the cube from point A to point B.

Yes as I said the water doesnt move so its B. The nozzle is just like the portal.