What did Sup Forums think of the movie "Arrival"?

What did Sup Forums think of the movie "Arrival"?

Other urls found in this thread:

fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42642.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's shit

I loved it. Seems to get a lot of hate, though.

boring and uninteresting

pretty nice but ending gay af

It was shit. Oh, look, this writing system is circular, so now I can jump through time.

Pretty decent. But the MASTER OF THE TIME plot-twist was unnecessary af

Well not really, the whole story was about her eventually rewiring her thought process through language.

I was actually going to do something like this, but yours is better

i liked the idea of exploring alien contact in terms of communication. A lot of movies leap frog over this big issue using telepathy etc. Think the concept of the language being those large circular characters was interesting personally but it went crazy pretty fast after that.

Story wasn't that great but generally i think the film showed alien contact in different terms than most

It was ok, a strong "empowered wimin" vibe to it but otherwise it was alright. Nothing too special though, it was an attempt at a mindfuck movie I guess

It was hyped up so much that I thought it would be great, but it was only ok.

It gets hate from people who like to feel clever. Anyone with any history in storytelling or filmmaking understands why it works so well.

loved it

>'empowered wimin'

I mean I guess, but you could make her a character a man and it would have made zero difference. I can't remember any scenes that were specifically showcase her as a woman.

I get that it probably could have been a fine movie without the time stuff, but it would have been far less memorable.

No it was merely a feeling I had while watching it. So many people are trying to push the "look everybody women are interested in STEM too" that now whenever I see a character in a movie that is in some form of STEM field all the protests and people shitting their pants over something I normally wouldn't give two shits about keeps surfacing in my mind.

Ironic, in an attempt at becoming "equal" they're creating more misogynists. I legitimately can't stand female characters anymore because it's forced into so many things. It isn't often something that is "showcased" as you say, it's just the ever increasing stranglehold the empowered woman meme has on entertainment.

>signed, the expert.

Horrible movie. It would be impossible to figure out what the fuck aliens are saying. The plot is the most retarded shit anyone could make for a movie.

Like me feeling like an expert is any different from you or any other faggot on this board.

Smoke a big fattie before hand. Good times.Jpg

Ok until the end which was shit

It was ok. It started slow, seemed perfectly plausible until the things with the Chinese guy, though.

Ah, okay, I can understand earn I'm not in the STEM world but I can assume it's mostly dudes, and maybe a few Asian women?

She wasn't in STEM

Pretty nice and intresting. It was a really good surprise the film actually is about a serious subject, and not just some random explosion movie.

Story not extremely good, the end is shit, but you have to watch it, shots are just awesome.

Chinese guys ruin everything.

Trips confirm you're a faggot

Wouldn't the US be the first to nuke them out of orbit immediately with 100% support from the public, considering the current political climate and average american intelligence?

> the end

I no longer believe in beginnings and ends

Accurately portrays bitches, their stupidity and narcissism.

oscar bait for cucks who think they like good film / think they're smart

When I was taking my engineering courses there wasn't a single woman. When I was taking my Computer Science courses there were two women out of 30, and even at that they were likely taking C++ programming because it was required in many degree paths. In an actual university setting almost no women choose to go into STEM despite all of the advantages they have. My college gave $4 million in grants to "under-represented groups in STEM fields" You get three guesses as to which groups are considered "under-represented"

The study of linguistics falls under a subset of anthropology which is in fact a science. If she was merely a translator you would be right, but she was clearly a researcher of language.

I'm surprised there isn't Rule 34 of this movie yet.

i liked it a lot. what did it for me was the twist at the end, that the entire movie was not about aliens, but about language. this "the limits of my language are the limits of my world" theme. i thoroughly enjoyed this reveal and the entire end sequence with "On the nature of daylight" playing.

have only watched it once, so I don't know how good it will be if watched again. but the one time was quite entertaining.

it is, and its funny you cant tell why

>anthropology
A social science is not Included in STEM retard.

Feel free to think that, but it doesn't mean you're correct. I mean feel free to live your life as a fucking retard but as I said here technically she was in STEM.

Also, I wasn't claiming she was in STEM so that user was claiming something I didn't say in the first place. I said the women in STEM meme gets old after a while and you start to see traces of it everywhere after a while

The second time is near simply because you now know that what we assumed were her memories are actually flash-forwards. It's a bit less magical the second time, but if you are analyzing it as a story it's interesting.

Historians do research too but history isn't in STEM and neither is anthro

Would've probably been my favorite movie of the year if not for the ending being too convenient.

word

Let me guess, you are a shitty-but-published author, or you work in the film industry?

I thought it was pretty good but wish they had stuck closer to the original story.
Id encourage you to read the short story it's based on - it's really fantastic.

Anthropology is the study of culture and is pretty closely related to psychology. Anthropology is considered a "soft" science, but I have yet to see anybody specify if STEM is strictly hard or soft science.

I liked most of it, parts I hated. I think it was a bit unnecessarily dishonest with the scenes before the "reveal".
The premise is true but taken to an impossible absurd, language can expand one's ability to perceive and understand. But that don't mean some swirls can make you time travel.

There were a couple parts in the beginning that simply made no sense.

The whole notion that they could take or leave having a language expert on scene was fucking stupid. That general might have been in charge but the president would have executed him if he had forgone bringing a fucking translator. He was all like "I have too many people already." Fuck 100% of all of them. And then when she shows up, he has a team of people who answer to her, so who the fuck would they have answered to? And he shows up to her office inexplicably hostile, when it should have been more like "Guess what, you get to do the coolest thing ever!" And then they'd high five. -far more likely than how it went down.

And the question she has for her colleague when he walks out about what the definition of war is, that was utterly inexplicable. There's a whole reddit discussion on that one thing and no solid answer.

She tells a bullshit story about the meaning of the word Kangaroo, and claims it didn't matter that it was a lie, the point was valid. 1. That's retarded, but 2. That's already the llama origin story, why the fuck would she turn it into a kangaroo.

Finally the thing that bothered me the most was that this bitch could see the future, and she still manages to get divorced and still manages to break the news of her own daughter's death to her divorced husband in a manner that fucks him up deeply.

shit movie
it had a nice idea of exploring how communication could work with an alien species, but the story around that is shit and full of plot holes

>b thinks this movie is about communication

Never change Sup Forums

Researching isn't what makes something a science. History would fall under the study of anthropology as well assuming you are talking about human history, this is called archaeology (at least when referring to the study of physical objects and artifacts).

see, this is why its funny
because you have no idea of what you are talking about, yet you keep talking pretending you know what you are doing
and failing miserably of course

>ITT: People who didn't understood the twist

Go read a book, you lot.

idiots performing a dance, in hopes to attract other idiots

>
Finally the thing that bothered me the most was that this bitch could see the future, and she still manages to get divorced and still manages to break the news of her own daughter's death to her divorced husband in a manner that fucks him up deeply.

She was also fucking Forrest Whitaker and wanted Hawkeye out of the picture.

Yeah. Basically make her able to see their perspective. To live through them and experience their experiences.

>ITT: people that assumes that everyone who dislikes a dumb twist must have not understood that

is it working ?

this is Sup Forums, of course it worked

If you really understood the twist, you would understand the genius behind it and it's storytelling.

Hey I just looked it up and guess what? 5 seconds of googling confirms you're fucking retarded. Social sciences are in fact included in STEM, here's a citation because you're a little bitch

fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42642.pdf

If you can create an English sentence that doesn't smack of troll behaviour we can continue.

A lot of people keep calling it a twist, but it's really not. It's telegraphed from the first few minutes of the film. It wasn't an afterthought added on later or anything. It makes complete sense for the story.

now you are showing how limited you are

its not genius, its shallow and filled with plot holes
the storytelling is great, the scenes are beautiful but the story is shit
can you understand the difference ?

This.

Fucking this.

I think they basically just decided to steal the concept from interstellar, they felt like the exact same movie tbh.

The idea is that a step in human evolution is theorized to be the ability to move through the 4th dimension just like we can move through the 3rd at will. We can move left, right, up, and down. The 4th dimension is time, the theory is that a 4th dimensional being is capable of moving back and forth through their own lifespans the same way we can move an arm or a leg, but it doesn't really mean that the outcome of the events can be changed.

Which is strange, if you are capable of moving to different points in your own lifetime you shouldn't be able to remember anything your current self at the time you arrived did not know, so she should not have been able to stop the gook from attacking the aliens. Just found a plot hole.

This has nothing to do with interstellar. It's based on a short story by Ted Chiang - I mentioned this earlier in the thread.
The story is way better btw.

Its a great film. Most people agree. The other 20-30% that disagree simply can't understand it or prefer films like transformers. Best film thats been out in a while.

Oh and he wrote it in 1998 - way before interstellar.

The story is shit because you don't understand the theory and the symbolism being it. It's based on a psychological theory about language and how it modifies your perception of reality. Of course something like this happening can't be possible, but that's what movies are for.

continue what ? it all started with your post filled with troll behavior, trying to belittle different opinions than yours even before they showed up
then you got butt-hurt when called on it

Well 'steal' isn't the right word. Arrival is based on a short called "Story of Your Life" and even interstellar didn't do anything original. The idea of characters moving back and forth along their timeline is a very old concept in sci-fi novels.

Books are always "better" because they can be read at length with a significant increase in detail. They are only better in the sense that you get more information out of them. Written information that is, and whether or not you prefer written information over visual and audio is subjective.

It might not have anything to do with interstellar but it's clear from watching the two films that the underlying atmosphere at least was similar and likely interstellar was a catalyst for creative inference during the directing of Arrival.

I fully understand it, and have said before
your mind is so limited and infantile that you refuse to accept that someone can understand the shit you like and still dislike it

steal is a strong word, I didn't expect a nuanced conversation on Sup Forums so please take my shitposting with a grain of salt.

*Borrowed a creative atmosphere from a pre-existing movie because it was effective in it's delivery

Work on your reading comprehension faggot. NSF's definition isnt the standard, it's the immigration definition that counts since it's about jobs. There is no shortage of women in the social sciences and there are no jobs there.

Whether it is visas for foreign workers, scholarships for STEM majors, or funding for scientific research, the question of what we mean by the term “STEM” is central to the federal policy conversation. Some federal agencies, such as the NSF, use a broader definition of STEM that includes psychology and the social sciences (e.g., political science, economics) as well as the so-called core sciences and engineering (e.g., physics, chemistry, mathematics).7 Others, including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), use a narrower definition that generally excludes social sciences and focuses on mathematics, chemistry, physics, computer and information sciences, and engineering.8 Some analysts argue that field-specific definitions such as these are too static and that definitions of STEM should focus on “an assemblage of practices and processes that transcend disciplinary lines and from which knowledge and learning of a particular kind emerges.”9

Don't hide behind the word 'opinions'. Not everything in storytelling is subjective. People attacking something because they do not understand it is extremely common and you know it.

Amy Adams is a terrible actress and always takes me out of every movie she is in. Other than that, film has great visuals and direction. Plot is predictable and average. The "twist" is a rip-off of a common science fiction theme seen in various other media. It is in no way "genius" as some others here are suggesting.

you clearly didn't understand the movie. The whole point was the main character gaining the ability to speak the alien language enabling her (and possibly the rest of humanity) to stop seeing time in a linear fashion. She couldn't prevent the divorce or her daughters death, she knew that. But it was worth being able to re-live the moments that she had with her husband and her daughter.

Or maybe you're just too contrarian to accept that the movie and it's story are good.

dude, we can all go back and read what has been said
you pretty much said "whoever doesnt like what I like is dumb. People with useless degrees in the stuff i like say its great so its great, end of the story, /thread here mods."

nothing to do with storytelling being subjective or not
just a childish entitled brat trying to demeanor anyone who could say something he doesnt want to hear

Wow you really must be retarded to link a reference that refutes your point. I'm embarrassed for you.

people do dislike it, but MOST people like it because it is a GOOD film. You have no taste and are in the minority that dislike it.

you are assuming the movie and story is good based on nothing just to be contrary to me
and then wants to say Im contrarian
go on, its funny

>it's the immigration definition that counts since it's about jobs
You want to argue over specific definitions? Cool, because using your own logic is fucking stupid. Where did I ever talk about STEM as it relates to immigration jobs as you yourself said? I did not, I was referring to women being represented in STEM at university level and in entertainment. So good job with that strawman, I can tell it took you a while to come up with it.

It depends on which field you're talking about. Are you implying that the national science foundation's definition of STEM isn't applicable? All you did was basically say "b-but not when ur talking about immigrant job markets by some obscure company's standards!" I like how you even copy-pasted a section of the PDF I linked to you that actually proves my point.

The only people who don't consider "soft sciences" in STEM are immigration control. So congratulations, if you're talking about shaking down Pedro for his job skills you would be correct. But that isn't what we're talking about and you're still a faggot, come back when you have an actual argument

>Amy Adams is a terrible actress

>But it was worth being able to re-live the moments that she had with her husband and her daughter.
So the point of the movie is that she is a selfish bitch?

I don't have to, I've already won.

You need to read your link it says right in it that social science isn't STEM for the times that matter.

You're clearly a fucking moron. 1. You have literally zero evidence that I didn't understand the movie from my complaints.
The only thing you are even saying I got wrong was the notion of her unable to change time.

If she couldn't change time, THEN WHAT THE FUCK WAS SHE DOING CHANGING TIME AND THAT THE THE FUCKING CLIMAX OF THE MOVIE YOU GOD DAMN FAGGOT RETARD? SHE MAKES A FUCKING PHONE CALL AND THEN TIME TRAVELS TO THE FUTURE TO GET PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR THE PRESENT.

Why couldn't you just leave it be stupid? Why do you think you're smart enough to cut someone down for no reason? You're not. You're dumb. You're pathetic. And it hurts me to have to hit you. But you need this.

She overacts and is not believable at all. I have this problem with many actors though.

making assumptions out of your ass to prove your own opinion
most people like justin bieber too

he doesn't have to base it on anything. The reviews made by critics and thousands of viewings rate it as a good movie. What do you base your view on? Because it seems like you're in the wrong.

Wow you must be retarded to agree with a post without actually understanding what you're reading.

>The only people who don't consider "soft sciences" in STEM are immigration control
Not true you didn't even read the full quote from your link. Sad!

There's nothing she can do about it. Things will play out the way they are supposed to, she can only see the things in the future and bring information from it.
It's predestination.

Oh that's better then.
I guess people just have different perspectives like this movie.